Detox Question

Options

Replies

• Moya6512
    Moya6512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Then tell a drug addict, you can just be sober you know.
  • paulkirkewalker
    paulkirkewalker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have a colon? Do you have kidneys? Do you have a liver? If the answer to most of these is "yes" then you do not need to "detox". If you believe that you have toxins in your body, you need to call an ambulance immediately. More likely, however you just have this vague idea that medicines and processed foods are bad and "toxic". This is complete nonsense.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Moya6512 wrote: »

From science

"This is a case of a legitimate medical term being turned into a marketing strategy. In the setting of real medicine, detoxification means treatments for dangerous levels of drugs, alcohol, or poisons, like heavy metals. Detoxification treatments are medical procedures that are not casually selected from a shelf or from a menu of alternative health treatments. They’re provided in hospitals when there are life-threatening issues."
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So instead of all the woo and lies about detoxing, how about a little science instead?:

Sciencebasedmedicine.org - The Detox Scam - How to Spot It and How to Avoid It

You Can't Detox Your Body, It's a Myth. So How Do You Get Healthy?

Detoxing is a huge load of fraudulent derp. Nobody who advocates "cleansing/detoxing" can name one single toxin that it actually purports to eliminate, nor the mechanism within your body by which it does it (other than the normal endogenous pathways built into the human body). Claiming that you're detoxing because you "poop more while on my juice fast" is laughable. Unless your excretory system is somehow dysregulated, your body eliminates waste as needed.

...I've never heard a doctor suggest a juice fast ...

You suppose maybe there's a reason for that? Because they have zero scientific validity. None.

...So I come on here looking for conscious people who will help inspire. Instead I get people who say I'm misinformed because eating dead flesh and other species milk is the way to go. And that juicing is just a fad...

There are plenty of health conscious people here. And they're the ones speaking out against cleanses/detoxes, juice fasts, fad diets and other ridiculous woo that is unhealthy and does nothing for weight loss or general wellness. Eat a balanced, varied diet which provides all the necessary macro and micronutrients and let the body do what it's designed and well-equipped to do.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    2btc2iq6nfjt.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Here's why we are all on here, trying to compare tips and tricks and low carb recipes and cheats and the list goes on. A dieting cycle that seems to never end. Why because we aren't eating naturally as we were intended. The food industry doesn't care about our health, and the health industry doesn't care about our food. I've never heard a doctor suggest a juice fast ... but I have been offered pills that "curb my appetite" or even surgery! $$$ I do not think that detoxing and giving your body a break from years of damage is wrong. Then you can just eat healthy and exercise after you have reset your body. Oh and you the person saying only drug addicts need a detox, research the comparison of cocaine to sugar !!

Can I just mention something here. Juice has nearly all of its calories coming from sugar. Here you are comparing sugar to cocaine (a comparison I highly disagree with, but that is irrelevant to my point). If sugar is so bad, why would you use it to 'detox' your body?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ugh, double post.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

158078-Jerry-Seinfeld-popcorn-gif-Img-NI3K.gif
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    This thread is what would happen if the MFP forums were super-condensed into an infinitely small size...a singularity of derp, if you will.
  • Moya6512
    Moya6512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

From science

"This is a case of a legitimate medical term being turned into a marketing strategy. In the setting of real medicine, detoxification means treatments for dangerous levels of drugs, alcohol, or poisons, like heavy metals. Detoxification treatments are medical procedures that are not casually selected from a shelf or from a menu of alternative health treatments. They’re provided in hospitals when there are life-threatening issues."[/quote

More diseases are caused by our diet than anything else. So yes, it is life threatening. Yes we have functioning organs but when abused the lose efficiency. Such as drinking alcohol everyday, yes our liver will detoxify but at some point it becomes less efficient, thus with smoking and your lungs....and eating cap and your digestive system. Why are we so he'll bent on our bodies being able to clean up our messes, yet when you have a headache you grab the first advil you can find.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    The main part of juicing to detox is more than just weight loss, it literally resets your appetite, taste, cravings, mood, energy, mindset. It's amazing to give your body a rest from digesting meats and other toxic chemicals. There is no sensible reason people should be on here telling you not to drink veggies and fruit, it's absurd how brainwashed the food industry has us all.

When did meat become a toxic chemical?
    What other toxic chemicals are you referring to? And how to drinking veggies in juice help this process? Juicing takes away a lot of the fiber than is helpful for the best "detox" I know-pooping.

I pooped more on my juice fast than I ever did eating meat, which stays inside your system much longer. Toxins?! Research what they really do to the meat we eat. What drinking fruits and veggies does is provide our cells with adequate nutrition, quality over quantity, while at the same time giving our system a break. Ever did a colon cleanse?... you'll see our liver does a great job...but there is still at least 5lb of bullcrap in your body due to the toxic foods we eat.

I find it interesting that you tell people to "research" in the middle of litany of debunked concepts and outright fallacies.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Here's why we are all on here, trying to compare tips and tricks and low carb recipes and cheats and the list goes on. A dieting cycle that seems to never end. Why because we aren't eating naturally as we were intended. The food industry doesn't care about our health, and the health industry doesn't care about our food. I've never heard a doctor suggest a juice fast ... but I have been offered pills that "curb my appetite" or even surgery! $$$ I do not think that detoxing and giving your body a break from years of damage is wrong. Then you can just eat healthy and exercise after you have reset your body. Oh and you the person saying only drug addicts need a detox, research the comparison of cocaine to sugar !!

Can I just mention something here. Juice has nearly all of its calories coming from sugar. Here you are comparing sugar to cocaine (a comparison I highly disagree with, but that is irrelevant to my point). If sugar is so bad, why would you use it to 'detox' your body?

So, is Jack Lalanne like a crack dealer?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

So, is Jack Lalanne like a crack dealer?

ADDED SUGAR IS BAD!!!

Fruits don't count....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm on a journey to becoming vegan. Starting with juicing. So I come on here looking for conscious people who will help inspire. Instead I get people who say I'm misinformed because eating dead flesh and other species milk is the way to go. And that juicing is just a fad. Our countries health is doomed.

You aren't misinformed because you want to avoid meat and dairy (I'm vegan myself). You're misinformed because you're promoting pseudoscience like "toxins."

Saying we should avoid a food because we aren't "intended" to eat it is silly. There are many thing we aren't "intended" to do. I'm not intended to wear glasses or communicate with people via computers. I do them anyway. There are compelling reasons (I think) to avoid meat, dairy, and other animal products. But the argument of "intention" is dead in the water unless you plan on abandoning all of modern life.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I love it how drug and alcohol addiction is somehow... in some mysterious way... applicable to juicing and a vegan diet.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/5976465/enough-already-with-the-juice-cleanses

"In reality, for a healthy person to blow a bunch of money to purchase the juices and drink them over a couple days is probably not harmful," Daniel Lynch says. (The operative words being "a couple days.") "And if it serves as some motivational tool to eat better, etc., it is fine." But if your goal is to give your digestive system a rest, he adds, "why not go with an IV bag of dextrose?"

And if you're looking to empty your colon, Lynch points out, a cheap laxative will do the trick in about six hours. "Why spend loads of money and suffer through days of drinking liquified kale?" He sounds a little cranky. Maybe he missed a meal."
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    f17d8212b2635e2f7cee284038b1cffa.jpg
This discussion has been closed.