Detox Question

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Moya6512 wrote: »
    I wasn't nitpicking your grammar, but correcting your terminology. You can't make a good case against drinking milk by starting with "cow's boobs." Also, do you object to all cows' milk, or just that which comes from factory farms?

Oh OK. It's intended to nurture their young. Not ours. So we as humans produce milk to nurture our children only to then, extract another species milk and toss it in a bowl of cheerios when they're 2. Doesn't make since to me, and it's wrong on a lot of levels. Calcium is found in plenty of vegetables, and for good reason.
    I won't disagree with you on milk. In fact, dairy isn't needed at all in the human diet. But...............................................I'll be damned if I give up ice cream, yogurt and cheese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

We don't need it but it's nutritious and the arguments against it are among the dumbest I've seen against any foods.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    So if I juice kale and celery I'm drinking sugar...but if I eat it in a fancy salad, my cells won't notice... please. You know what science is....our hormones control our appetite. Know why that 100 calorie bag of pretzels was tasty and fit into your mfp log nicely....but had you starving in the next hour....bc it wasn't nutrient dense. I'm basically advocating taking a break from bad eating habits....to introduce my body to a better way of eating. However, I don't want to starve and damage my body while I'm taking a break so I'll juice. I will still get the necessary nutrients for my body to function properly.
    Yes, processed food is a drug. I'm not even going to waste my time on that one.

To the bolded - Yes, we know what science is. But going off your posts, I'm thinking you might not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I wasn't nitpicking your grammar, but correcting your terminology. You can't make a good case against drinking milk by starting with "cow's boobs." Also, do you object to all cows' milk, or just that which comes from factory farms?

Oh OK. It's intended to nurture their young. Not ours. So we as humans produce milk to nurture our children only to then, extract another species milk and toss it in a bowl of cheerios when they're 2. Doesn't make since to me, and it's wrong on a lot of levels. Calcium is found in plenty of vegetables, and for good reason.
    I won't disagree with you on milk. In fact, dairy isn't needed at all in the human diet. But...............................................I'll be damned if I give up ice cream, yogurt and cheese.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

We don't need it but it's nutritious and the arguments against it are among the dumbest I've seen against any foods.
    Don't disagree. There are lots of disagreements on food and what's "healthy", "bad", "natural", "processed", etc. to the point that it's like politics. One side here, one side here and the majority do everything in the middle, but no one listens to us.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    edited January 2016
    ninerbuff wrote:

Don't disagree. There are lots of disagreements on food and what's "healthy", "bad", "natural", "processed", etc. to the point that it's like politics. One side here, one side here and the majority do everything in the middle, but no one listens to us.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is the most frustrating thing on MFP. People say they come here to learn how to get fit and be healthy, but they don't want to listen to the folks who have actually put in the work and made it happen. Quick fixes don't work longterm, here or anywhere else, period.

Someone told me this a long time ago, and I think it's applicable to MFP as well as everything else:

"Take the easy way out now and life will get harder. Do the hard work now and life will get easier."
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The problem is that people see "healthy", "bad", "natural", "processed", etc. as a binary decision. It's a continuum. It's not possible to eat 100% healthy or unhealthy, good or bad, natural or processed ... you just hit that sliding scale somewhere and tweak your diet in the direction you prefer.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    I'm mostly confused as to why "juicing" is considered natural but eating a slab of unprocessed meat wouldn't be. From my perspective, eating a hunk of meat you put over a fire for a few minutes at least retains the structure and consistency of its natural presentation, whereas juicing ultimately obliterates the fruit/veggies to an unrecognizable form, often wasting quite a bit of pulp in the process... I don't know about anyone else, but I've never found juice on a tree, or pulled it from the ground.

As for the OP here, I think the mistake was using a buzz word. Detox, ultimately, just means to refrain and clean it out. Therefore, if a person wants to detox from something, they only need to stop taking it in and let the remainder process out of the body. A juice fast, while not very smart for a long period of time, can help people do this because it typically provides a decent amount of feel good vitamins, pro-liver vitamins, and ample water.

Why did you poop more on a juice cleanse? Probably because all you did was take in 80% water. One of the biggest reasons why people have irregular bowel issues is dehydration, whether because it slows the metabolic rate to be low on fluids, or the GI tract is lacking lubrication. Meat is notorious for being hard to digest, and needing ample water. My guess is anyone who sees a major uptake in solid waste expulsion during a juice cleanse was eating way too much bulking foods with not enough water... and when they started taking in probably 2-3x the water they used to, their body pooped all over the place.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    So if I juice kale and celery I'm drinking sugar...but if I eat it in a fancy salad, my cells won't notice... please. You know what science is.... our hormones control our appetite. Know why that 100 calorie bag of pretzels was tasty and fit into your mfp log nicely....but had you starving in the next hour....bc it wasn't nutrient dense. I'm basically advocating taking a break from bad eating habits....to introduce my body to a better way of eating. However, I don't want to starve and damage my body while I'm taking a break so I'll juice. I will still get the necessary nutrients for my body to function properly.

By your own admission, these people know science. Every thing you have posted proves that you don't. At all.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    So if I juice kale and celery I'm drinking sugar...but if I eat it in a fancy salad, my cells won't notice... please. You know what science is....our hormones control our appetite. Know why that 100 calorie bag of pretzels was tasty and fit into your mfp log nicely....but had you starving in the next hour....bc it wasn't nutrient dense. I'm basically advocating taking a break from bad eating habits....to introduce my body to a better way of eating. However, I don't want to starve and damage my body while I'm taking a break so I'll juice. I will still get the necessary nutrients for my body to function properly.

I've juiced. I even did a week long juice fast. The problem with juicing is that the fiber has been removed. (One could even make a case that we are not intended to eat fruits and vegetables without their fiber.)

Carrot juice makes me sick due to getting a big hit of sugar with no fiber slowing it down. I do not have this problem with whole carrots. Ditto for apples and apple juice.

I don't juice anymore. I make smoothies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Yes. I'm on a journey to becoming vegan. Starting with juicing. So I come on here looking for conscious people who will help inspire. Instead I get people who say I'm misinformed because eating dead flesh and other species milk is the way to go. And that juicing is just a fad. Our countries health is doomed.

You can do a search for threads with "vegan" in their title, participate in these threads, find the other vegans, and send them a friend request. Here's a recent one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10315657/searching-for-any-mfp-vegans-out-there#latest

Also check out the vegan groups: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?group_group=1&Search=vegan
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Your digestive system needs no more of a "break" from doing its job than your heart needs a break from beating.

Exactly. Unless you have had some of your colon removed or some other major surgery your system does not need a break.
  • MommyMeggo
    This thread is what would happen if the MFP forums were super-condensed into an infinitely small size...a singularity of derp, if you will.

Bah! HAHA! <3
  • MommyMeggo
    I'm basically advocating taking a break from bad eating habits....to introduce my body to a better way of eating.
    Ah kind of like how I need a break from all the people in my life before I can be introduced to any other people.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    good lord. zxvti2fj517n.gif

I was reading and responding with my phone. I had to come back to check out the pics on my laptop.

This was worth every second of it! :laugh:
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    good lord. zxvti2fj517n.gif

I was reading and responding with my phone. I had to come back to check out the pics on my laptop.

This was worth every second of it! :laugh:

Isn't that just spectacular. I laughed so hard that someone stuck their head in my office to see what was going on.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Then tell a drug addict, you can just be sober you know.

From science

"This is a case of a legitimate medical term being turned into a marketing strategy. In the setting of real medicine, detoxification means treatments for dangerous levels of drugs, alcohol, or poisons, like heavy metals. Detoxification treatments are medical procedures that are not casually selected from a shelf or from a menu of alternative health treatments. They’re provided in hospitals when there are life-threatening issues."

I would hope, since she's a nurse, The difference between science and marketing would be apparent...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Yes. I'm on a journey to becoming vegan. Starting with juicing. So I come on here looking for conscious people who will help inspire. Instead I get people who say I'm misinformed because eating dead flesh and other species milk is the way to go. And that juicing is just a fad. Our countries health is doomed.

Huh. Interesting. Personally I'd start (and finish) with giving up animal products. Since; y'know; that's all that's actually required.
  • tincanonastring
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Huh. Interesting. Personally I'd start (and finish) with giving up animal products. Since; y'know; that's all that's actually required.

Well, that and telling everyone about it!

*ducks*
  • Moya6512
    Moya6512 Posts: 53 Member
    This is a TERRIBLE site filled with miserable people. I never knew I signed up for this. I just want to juice and go vegan. You self pronounced experts are ridiculous
  • tincanonastring
    This is a TERRIBLE site filled with miserable people. I never knew I signed up for this. I just want to juice and go vegan. You self pronounced experts are ridiculous

Well, that's just not very nice.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

I'm sorry that you're finding it impossible to spout nonsense and woo and not be challenged on it here. Perhaps a venue where people don't rely on actual science would be more to your liking? (Does Dr. Oz's site have a forum?)
This discussion has been closed.