WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ! ! !

Becca – I can hear the excitement in you while reading your post. I am so excited for you ! ! !

Allison – I took a closer look at my kitchen floor, and the tile color is much lighter than yours, but I was unable to get a good picture with just the morning light. I love the color combinations you chose.

Barbie – Happy Anniversary ! Sounds like a lovely day ! ! !

Sylvia – I have limited knowledge of piercings, but I’d bet your granddaughter’s ear can heal closed, then be re-pierced. So sorry she (you all) had to go through that.

Heather – You naughty girl, thanks for the laugh. Sometimes we just need to break out of the ordinary !

Lenora – I LOVE vivid dreams. It makes for a fun few days, as you remember bits and pieces, and hopefully it makes you smile. How lucky that you had both dream and real family as part of the same dream ! // (and anyone else about the “unavailable, etc. calls) – I am a medical receptionist at a small clinic. I have to answer every call. My peeve about this is when they want to “sell” something to one of the Doctors, ask for him by name (but don't use the term "doctor" - like I'm supposed to think they are friends), then when I say “he’s seeing patients, what message can I give him” they say “I’ll call back later”. Well, that will be my answer later; in fact that will ALWAYS be my answer, whether it is the truth or not. Having someone else in your office call from a different number will not make a difference. I find humor in these calls, because otherwise I would go buggy every day.

Kimses – Don’t give up ! Take your measurements, or put on some clothes that used to fit you snug, and see if they fit better. “Do as I say not as I do” but don’t be a slave to the scale ! ! ! The fact that you can finish the work-out and have less pain speaks SO much to your increased health and fitness. Keep this going, you can do it !

Cheri – Enjoy your time in Chicago visiting with your kids ! ! ! I think the Junior Gold National Bowling Tournament is in Cleveland in July 2017. If DS wins a spot, we will be there !

Miriam – I was born in Des Plaines IL, we moved to Palatine when I was in third grade, then I moved to Winona MN for College. Small world ! // Your statement about your dog thinking she is a cat cracks me up, because we used to have a cat that would bark like a dog if he wasn’t done playing with the mouse or bat or squirrel or whatever that he brought home.

Celtik
    – Nice loss. Keep working hard at it. You are worth it ! ! !

Katla tuck and roll ! No, I don’t know anything about martial arts, but I fell a lot as a kid (keep in mind I climbed everything I could). My first break was May 2014: I fell off a chair at work (yes, I was climbing on a chair to look out the window, don’t laugh too hard). I believe anything active that we can do to protect ourselves is a good idea. Let me know how it goes !

Drkatiebut – Too funny, you dirty bird! Thanks for the laugh ! ! !

A little less than 2 hours and this work week is done for me. It has been a long one, mostly because some people were sick, some were crabby, and some were down-right toxic. I just hide in my cage and try to keep the positive thoughts flowing as much as possible. DH is taking DS to pre-bowl tonight, so he can play basketball tomorrow morning, then H.S. bowling tomorrow afternoon. Then he has the MetroMilwaukee Bowling tournament on Sunday. Last year he got first place in doubles, second place in singles and all-events, so there is a title to protect.

Today I made my final payment on my car, so it is officially mine (not the banks). Hooray ! ! ! Now I start saving money for when we move to a smaller place - probably a 2 bedroom condo, since DH hates to maintain anything.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (who got another sticker for yesterday) B)
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Suzanne – Welcome! I’m with you… I come from a line of bigger women and my sisters and I all seem to be following in their footsteps. In addition to my personal goal to improve my health, I would love to become an inspiration for my sisters. Keep coming back here for motivation. It is helping me.

Joyce – I have heard that Lassie was actually a Sheltie and not a Collie. And, there were multiple dogs that played Lassie throughout the years.

KJLaMore – Welcome! I think you will find this is a good place for motivation and support. I’ll be 50 this year as well and have been premenopausal for what feels like forever but not in full menopause yet. You’ll find that the women here do a variety of exercises. Personally, I get up in the morning and use my Wii for a couple of different workouts – Cardio Boxing some days and Zumba others. I’d like to add some more strength training, but I just haven’t been consistent about that yet.

Cheri – I love Chicago! I lived there for a couple of years right after college, but I haven’t been back in ages. I lived in the Lincoln Park area, but I’m sure it has changed enough that I would not recognize it.

Celtikgirl – Congrats on the 7 lbs! Happy to hear you are realistic that 7 lbs won’t happen every week, but, hey, celebrate the success this week!

I’ve heard a few people mention recently the 21-day fix program, so I looked it up online. I think it sounds like a good way to get my portions under control and to focus on eating more fruits and veggies. So, I won’t be following it exactly, but printed off a cheat sheet that I’m going to use as a guideline when planning my food for the day. The number of veggies it wants you to eat had me thinking of Penny and her pound of veggies every day.

I am excited for the weekend. My daughter Emma is coming home from college because she has a 3-day weekend. My daughter Sophi has her first show choir competition of the season. I’m excited to see all the new shows that the choirs have been working on this year. I just love show choir! I don’t sing and dance outside the safety of my own home or car, so I have to live vicariously through my daughter. LOL For those of you who might know what show choir is, have you ever seen the TV show Glee? It’s a bit like that except Glee is of course TV. Instead of doing a different show every week, the high school show choirs put together one show with 4-6 songs. They start working on their show in August and competition season starts in January. It is a lot of work for them.

Got to run and finish up something my boss asked me to get done for him today so that I can go enjoy my weekend.

Linda/IA <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,647 Member
    Options
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    It's Friday!! I am working 6-5:30 and then off the weekend. Have my DGGS's birthday party tomorrow afternoon. The weather has sure changed today. Cold and windy and sounds like it is going to do that all weekend with maybe some snow.

Becca--Thats for the info, I will mention it to my friend.

Barbie--Happy Anniversary!

celtikgirl--Congrates on your 7 pound loss. One day at a time.

Linda/IA--I have a DGD that is in show choirs at her school. I enjoy watching them. Last week they got second in the state. Very proud of her.

So looking forward to having the weekend off. Please take care ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    :smiley::heart:
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie, you cracked me up! I have the same problem sometimes, but was afraid to mention it!

Tasha is a sheltie/ border collie mix. Definitely NO retriever in her! I will try to get a photo of her. The girls have some good ones on the iPads and DSs but I don't think I have a good one of her.

I spent the day spinning in place. I was going to put up some curtain rods in my oldest daughter's room, and since I wanted to paint in there, I painted behind where they were going and above the windows. I put up one rod, having a really hard time screwing it in. Well, the curtains my sister sent are too heavy for plaster walls. Pulled the rod right out of the wall. So I will have to put the rod in to the bulls-eye molding. So now I need to paint that. I may end up spending the day painting tomorrow. First I will have to patch the holes! LOL I wanted to get them hung today since by Sunday it the high will be in the negative numbers! Ugh. Oh well. She doesn't spend much time in her bedroom unless she is in bed, so if it is cool in there she will be okay.

I did manage to do the second coat of paint on the drawers for an underbed dresser for my youngest. I sanded and primed one half of the base. Hopefully I will get it painted twice before bedtime. It is big but there is not a lot of surface to paint (no top or bottom) so it doesn't take very long to do. Spend more time cleaning the brush afterwards!
  • crabiecrab
    crabiecrab Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Esther from the Middle of Michigan here
    Love everyone's goal's. I am new to this site, the Dr. said it would be a good site to work with my Fit Bit One.
    My long term goals are 40lbs by July 7 when I see him again. He has a challenge for me so it's important to me.
    I have been moving more after the bit by walking the dog and moving the holiday stuff in and out of the house.
    Been getting real cold outside this first part of the year, but I have been making a real effort to keep moving. We have a treadmill so I am going to have to start back on it when I am unable to be out side for my 30 minutes per day. I need to do 30 minutes of cardio 3 time per week to make sure I have a deficit of 750 calories a week.
    I see the 8 glasses of water and that's on my fit too. I drink coffee and thinking I need to not count that as water.
    Every day I have to have a Boost energy drink due to some surgery I had, and they said I would heal better and increase my energy, so every morning I have that with two fiber tabs.
    Well hope all has a wonderful week and get to get outside and enjoy the weather.
    God it Good to Esther
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Does anybody remember what the clean kitchen sink website was? I know I could look back through all the posts, but WHEW that would take too long!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,765 Member
    Options
    tired.... at junk tonight... and ready for bed....
    check you out in the morning
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    DLS1029 wrote: »
    Does anybody remember what the clean kitchen sink website was? I know I could look back through all the posts, but WHEW that would take too long!

flylady.net/
  • barbiecat
    Options
    4ihx81t6weqc.jpg

Sasha and Brandy say hello
  • barbiecat
    Options
    ospeysvxe5ch.jpg

Bernie says hello
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Barbie - Sasha and Brandy are gorgeous. Bernie too. I Have to admit I'm a cat lover, but only dogs now as Jack is NOT a cat lover. :)

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    Options
    1082743n9sylta7q3.gif

Thank you for all the Happy Anniversary wishes. We had a great day and are now happily deep into our 28th happy year
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Barbie, I adore standard poodles- had one growing up. Scarlett was so patient and sweet.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    ospeysvxe5ch.jpg

Bernie says hello
    Oh how I want to snuggle with that kitty...
    Betty
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,372 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did an SBF Total Body DVD. It wasn't very intense at all, very mild. Then we had a Newcomer general meeting. Then I went to a friend's house. She fell and is going to need knee replacement surgery. I'd made these crab tarts to take to Rummikub Tuesday and I know that her husband (now I know that she too) likes crab so even tho the calorie count on them is pretty good, I gave the rest to her. I also gave her a pumpkin gingerbread cake that I had in the freezer. By the time we got home (I know that she needs someone to talk to), got dinner ready then time for ceramics. After ceramics went to Lowe's Food to get some items, they have some sort of beer bar so Vince said that if we need to go there, he's willing to go as long as we go before 8 (when they close)

Today I will stop at the food kitchen to give them some of the cake that I made for the wedding. I can only eat so much cake. Then I volunteer at the Green room. Then I'll try someone different to get my hair styled and then I'll go get my passport renewed. Afterwards I'll stop at the Y to give this gal some of the gingerbread cookies that lady we saw yesterday gave me. I really don't need the cookies and I know that she likes gingerbread. Then I'll go to Aldi, stop to return something to Target, then get a crockpot for Denise at Kohl's. It's on sale for $19.99, plus I can get an add'l 15% off, plus I have a coupon for $10 off

Oh, remember when I went to the foot MD about the pain in my heel? Well, after x-rays he feels it's probably plantar faciatis. OK. Then they have this thing the patient portal. I looked at mine and there was this drug listed that I had no idea about. So I sent an email to the office asking about it. What did they do? They sent me a link back to the patient portal. Dhhhhh...that's where I first saw it. So I called the office to ask what this was. They said they'd have someone get back to me. From what I could read on the Internet, it's for arthritis, which I don't have. Some nurse got back to me said the MD prescribes it for all his patients (it would have been nice if he'd told me he was prescribing it), that it's an anti-inflammatory. I told her my concern that it might mask any discomfort and as a result I might do more exercising and make it worse. I will probably take it, but I'll only take it for a few days and see what happens. I'm not in excruciating pain at all.

Traci - what a survivor you are! Impressive! I'm mainly teaching myself crochet with a book. Susan Bates' book I've found to be better than Leisure Living, to me SB is more specific, and I need to go to the absolute basics.

Chris in MA - WOW is all I can say about those pic. Sure looks like more than a 7lb loss to me. Vince has a facebook account, but I think it's been YEARS since he's logged in. I wonder why he even has it. I log into mine every few days but rarely post anything

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Just been very busy. Volunteered at the Green Room Thurs, then went and got my hair styled then went to get my pic taken to renew my passport. I have never in my life had such a bad pic, and the guy said "well, I think I take a good picture". Good? No way.

Friday (today) I did an hour of exercise in the water, then Vince and I went and got new phones, came home and marinated the pork chops then made brownies for this brownie thing I'm going to make for Sun. A friend is coming over at 7 and we're going to watch the last episode of season 6 of Downton Abbey. I'm DYING to find out what happens to Edith.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to be a Eucharistic Minister at the church and also collect the donations for the soup kitchen. Unfortunately, they aren't open on Mon so it won't be until Tues that I'll be able to get it out of my trunk.

I'm so upset. I have a lot of bags (cloth) for reusing when I go to the store. Somewhere I lost a lot of them, and most of the ones that I really, really liked.

The office of the foot MD called to tell me that the cost for my orthotics would be $370. What orthotics?????? I'm not at all happy with this doc who prescribes meds and doesn't tell me he is and now I don't kinow what the story is about these orthotics.

Have over 200 posts to catch up on, so please pardon me for skimming. Hope I don't miss anything too important.

terri - that's wonderful about dd

Carol/peach - thinking of your sis's daughter. Update: So glad to hear that they're doing fine. Keep getting that Royal Cain food. It's a Mars product and you're helping (in a small way) to pay Vince's pension....lol

DJ - yes, logging ahead counts as logging. I've done it many many times. Stumbled on that accidentally, but so glad that I did. I does make that "xxx logged in xxx days" bogus. Good for you moving more than you thought you would!

kimses - good luck with the interview. Hope you get it!

Welcome everyone new!

mindy - hope you're better by now

Pole Penny - Love the name of your team

Joyce - only good thoughts for Charlie.

Alison - glad your bro is getting the help he needs. Good job on getting that alarm clock at the price you did. Great looking kitchen

katla - what great news from the orthopaedist! Interesting article on exercises DVD's. As you know, I do a lot of them, and that article is right in that so many of them (really, almost all) have these young, good looking gals in them. I just keep telling myself "I'm not 30 any more"

Made pork chops for later in the week, started making the brownies. Someone at senior bowling gave me the recipe. I wasn't all that crazy about them, but then again, I'm not that much into sweets. Basically, it's brownies with cream cheese frosting and on top of that are rice krispies with chocolate. We shall see how they turn out. Right now I'm just chilling the brownies/frosting. I'll make the topping tomorrow. I'm making a meat loaf right now.

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,372 Member
    Options
    Missed this part:

Elaine - so sorry about your neighbor

Heather - I eat before AND after exercising!

Barbie - happy anniversary! I fast forward thru almost all of the commercials.

Linda/IA - hope you get accepted into the fitness program

Kim - I wonder what the malted milk would do in the cupcake, too. Glad yours worked out

Joyce - I usually get the minestrone soup at OG

Michele in NC (again)
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Barbie thanks for the website. Also your furry friends are beautiful!

Donna in WV
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Celtikgirl, great looking dogs. I love it when they cuddle up to each other.

TrainerZumba, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. We also request that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Martina, welcome to you as well. When we aren’t on some specific eating plan and just eating healthy within our calorie guidelines, most of us find that pre planning and logging works best for us. Good luck on your fix. Please tell us more about yourself and sign with a name, too. We are glad to have you.

Allie, OMG I love your kitchen!!! That gas stove is to die for. I hope you enjoy it. The backsplash looks great! Why will you only use the dishwasher once or twice a year???? Also, I wonder why you did the kitchen when you are only planning to be there for another couple of years? Was it for resale? You know how nosey I am. smiley-angelic006.gif

Barbie, Happy Anniversary!!! Glad you got to enjoy your day and do it your way! ((((Hugs)))) smiley-love073.gif

Sylvia, I hope your DGD’s ear will be okay. Congrats on the clean sink.

Tracie, wonderful progress on your knee and wanting to get to exercise so soon is unreal. Congrats.

Linda, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that you are selected for the fitness program. Good luck.

Suzanne, welcome. I remember what you mean about planes. I flew a few months ago and fir the first time in many years, I had a ton of slack in the seatbelt. It was wonderful. Come often and join in the chat.

Kimses, even though you haven’t lost any weight on your routine, I hope you took lots of measurements before you started? I’m sure you have lost inches. Now that you are used to doing it I hope you keep it up.

KJL, welcome. Come often and you will pick up tips to help you on this journey.

Celticgirl- congratulations! That is a very nice loss.

Obki45, welcome. Good goals. Come often and join right in.

Terri, yesterday (I think) on the news, they showed a guy that rolled 3 perfect games in a match. I can’t even imagine, but I thought of you and your family when they were talking about bowling. I think of many of you ladies quite often. Wooo Hoooo, congrats on paying off your car. Isn’t that just too good a feeling?

Becca, you have reason to be excited. Keep up the good work!

Carol, good to hear from you. I’m glad the eye is better and wish you didn’t have to go back again. I’m not a world traveler but love NYC the three or four times I’ve been there. It has been years so I’m sure it’s way more expensive by now. Have fun.

Heather, I like garlic too, and on just about anything. Yum.

Kay, when you see “Pom” are you thinking of cheese? LOL Some of us have a food problem, I think.

Barbie, Sasha and Brandy are beautiful and Bernie is a handsome boy.

MicheleNC, that foot doc sounds like a loon! Does he just prescribe the medicine to all his patients or the ones that need it. Good grief. I might be looking for a new doctor.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Well I have had to read pretty fast and not respond to a lot of you but I am caught up!! Woo Hoo. I do love reading about all that is going on with each of you. You motivate and inspire me and cause me to think about what I am doing on this journey. I learn so much from you and just hope you know how much I appreciate all of you. I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    In Chilly Myrtle Beach,