• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I sure wish we had a like button.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'll chime in - I'm Lisa from West Texas. I did see another Lisa come through, so if you just sign your posts with your particular place of beingness, we'll know which one you are.

I'm 55, will be 56 in April, in my second and final marriage, to the love of my life, who's nine years younger and past amazing. I'm a business/operations management consultant, not working at the moment, and take on the occasional contract which they get to hear about ad nauseam here. Thinking about taking on an actual managerial job instead of a contract, and searching for the right one. I'm also a writer, have two books published on Amazon (search for Lisa C. Hannon there), one's a murder mystery, one a collection of my op/ed columns, which I still write for the local paper. I'm not the only writer in the group, but I'll let them introduce themselves.

My husband and I bought a warehouse last year, which I'm in the process of rehabbing, with some help from him on the weekends. We live on a ranch in the back of beyond, 45 minutes from the nearest grocery store (and warehouse), where he's the mechanic and facility manager.

Weight history: I put on a fat suit to hide from my abusive father. I was 44 when he died in December, 2004, and I finally felt safe walking the earth. (All that is hindsight, please note.) So, I weighed 303 pounds in 2005, had gastric bypass in September and lost down to 137 pounds in a couple years. As I mentioned earlier, the weight loss was the last straw that broke my first marriage. But as Becca mentioned re: Jenny Craig, merely losing the weight didn't teach me much. However, it took me nearly ten years to gain a significant portion back, and found myself weighing 210 pounds by March 2015.

Between April 1 and the end of October, with enormous support from these supportive human beings, I lost 33 pounds to get down to 167, then gained 11 pounds of that back in November/December, left me sitting at 178 on Jan. 4th. No excuses, did it, owned it. Now I'm back to remembering to post every bite and swallow and calorie. Learning again to change my life instead of my diet. For me, with or without the surgery, I simply can't eat whatever I want whenever I want it. That's a reality that I must acknowledge in order to change the outcome. I'm finally trying hard not to focus merely on the numbers. The ambition is to simply be lighter at the end the month than the beginning, without tying that to a number. And lighter at the end of the year than the beginning.

Please note - that's not the way I started here with these amazing women. I had grand, ambitious, numerical goals for what I would lose, both in pounds and in inches when I got here in April of last year. One of the reasons I love this place and these people is because it does allow me to wipe the slate clean at the beginning of each month. And it's taught me that's all I have to do. Be lighter--hopefully both in spirit and in my physical being.

Off to town, my dear hearts--headed for the grocery store, check on the warehouse and the kittens (two of them rescued from under a trailer here at the ranch in September), and then back to the ranch to relax. Gym tomorrow.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in beautiful, sunny West Texas
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    I'm enjoying all the re-introductions! Sorry I didn't think of it before page 31! I'm going to write it on on index cards so I can remember these things.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    My name is Lenora - rarely see that with others; it is a 'family' name. Peach1948 is from the same small town I grew up in (Forsyth, GA - right above Macon, GA). She's my DMS's age and was in her class @ MPHS. When I went to cheerleading camp and we said we were from Mary Persons; everybody thought we were from a "Catholic School"; we never corrected them. One 'good' thing about living above Macon, GA - usually there are no gnats there. It is above

My handle is GRITSandSLUTS which is an acronym for Girls Raised In The South and Southern Ladies Under Tremendous Stress. I will admit to the first; but, rarely the second. Another acronym that I like is WINOS - Women In need Of Support; but, I figures that would make it too long. I'm 'bipolar'; but that is NOT what defines me. I love writing and reading and joking around. It's made my 43 years with the same man go very quickly. I'm 64; will get older in March.

Welcome to the "newbies" and the "old regulars" ... I agree this is a fast growing supportive group of ladies. I gues we don't have men in the group because we are so successful in 'being ourselves' and that would somehow make it so we might not be so much.

Hi, Here are some instructions to help you get to the current thread which starts over on the last day of each month. Copy it Instructions somewhere such as on a word processing site; or highlight them and print it. Sounds harder than it is.

Instructions on how to get to the latest thread is once you get to one of the sites, like December - how you got there was probably through the choices you could make to follow any thread. Go back or forward to the end of that month and follow BarbieCats' link to get to the one that starts the month. It changes every month on the last day of the month. You might see posts that have followed in that same day; but, go back to hers with the link (in blue); click on it and it will take you to the new month.

At the top of the posts in the upper right-hand corner of the first link on that page you will see the outline of a star. Click on it and it will change to 'yellow' and then you can post on this site/thread every time. The next time you come in there will be a gray star between a bell and a gear; (it will show you how many posts there are, since you last posted. Click on the gray star and it will take you to the end of the posts that have been posted already in that thread, after your last post after you hit the drop down. Once you have done that ... the next time you go in, hit the gray star; and it will take you to the next post that follows your last posting. Then you can read posts all the way to the end. Clicking on the page number on the lower right-hand corner of the postings after the one that is 'highlighted' to go to any other posts. Sometimes people will just go to the last page or maybe the next-to-the-last one if there are many postings and then they will go back to read all of them afterwards. It's difficult to do if you want to comment on several posts. You cannot go back a page without it erasing what you have posted, unless you hit 'reply post'; you have to hit it first before you can go back or else it will erase what you have posted in the first place.

One thing that some people do, is minimize this page and open up a page in Word or whatever word processing program you use. Open up your word processing program and minimize both and you can write your posts there if you want to specifically answer several people on several pages. Then copy it over to the blank spot by your name at the very last page.

You cannot go back a page until you click on your "post reply". Then it gives you a way to edit it. The gear shows up if you put your cursor over the upper right-hand side of your "reply post", not the one at the beginning of the page. When you do ... you'll see a black gear, click on it; and, and it will drop down and tell you how long you have to change the post; click on it and it will take you back to your post you have just typed and the color will change as well as the font size; then you can change it or correct it or type your answer to a previous post (this works only if you have a word processing page only opened or scroll back to a previous page. Then you can click on whatever page and go back to answer a reply to you or some other on a previous page. The numbered pages are on the top or the bottom in the upper right-hand corner or at the lower right-hand corner. Or correct something such as the spelling of a word. Or add to the post. You can also post several different posts, if you want to make a new post to each answer. One thing you might want to do is hit 'quote' in the post you want to respond to and it will copy everything in that posts. If you want to only answer a certain part of that post, you can delete all that you don't want to answer. This comes in very handy if the original post is very long or to several different people. Otherwise it will show up as it had originally.

Up above the line that has "community" in it, there is an envelope where you can 'private message' someone if you don't want everybody to see it. To do that you can click on their user name and it will put it there and ask you to name a subject; then, type away and hit send (send post).

There is another icon next to it that looks like a person this is a way to make or accept friends. When you are at your own page, all the friends you have made ... will have just their recent posts. Much like Facebook works.

I 'hope' I have made this a bit clearer. If not then just post what you don't understand and I am sure somebody can answer your post and clarify that question.

If you want something bold, you have to highlight the name or the some word or phrase you want answered or that you have replied to.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DJ: I agree with your comment to Kim about age. I feel younger and more free to be myself than I have in many years. Retiring has given me time and energy that were tied up in a long commute & challenging job & I spend some of that time and energy getting more fit and having fun. :flowerforyou:

Penny: Three cheers for leap year! 366 days to enjoy. :bigsmile: I copied and pasted your whole woodstove post to DH including the recipe! I want to try it. Yum!!! :heart: We do have some very big trees in Oregon but they're kind and gentle souls. If you get lost in the woods, your best choice is to hug one of them so you can calm down and avoid getting even more lost. Not really kidding. :heart:

Heather: Thanks for the information on the RIKA Esprit. DH loves it because it is in an alcove and is beautiful, but I wonder whether there is a natural gas version or a dual fuel version. He'll be looking that information up online. :smiley: The reality is that neither of us wants to chop and haul wood but we would like to have something that works if the electricity goes out & love the look of yours. Our current "fireplace" is natural gas but won't operate if the power is out. :grumble:

Becca: I never wear make-up other than lipstick but I'm good about putting on sunscreen. I have a cousin-in-law who is lovely and always wears make-up. I've seen her without it once, and was stunned by the difference. I'm still not going to wear it because my skin breaks out & I'm unwilling to spend the time or money. Everyone is different. I've seen your picture, and YOU are lovely. :flowerforyou:

Southernsass: Welcome! You join by posting so you are in. If you click on the star at the top of the page you'll be able to find us easily by clicking on the gray star on the MFP community page. Sorry to hear about all of your health challenges. I hope they're in the past and stay there! :star:

Pip & Becca: I showed the WV Trailer video to DH and he got a real kick out of it. I did, too. He had a 64 Beetle back when I first met him. He said it only had 40 HP. :smiley:

Jane: I'm glad to hear you DMIL is doing a bit better. :smiley:

Sylvia: Congrats on a great day at the studio. I hope the pots survive the whole process of drying and firing, and we get to see a picture. :flowerforyou:

grattracey91 & all newbies: Welcome. :smiley:

I am one of a zillion Kathys, so I go by Katla49. I live in Oregon beside the Columbia River. I have been horse-crazy since early childhood. One year DH gave me riding lessons and I gave myself bursitis in my left knee while lifting my tubby self out of the saddle repeatedly posting at a trot for an hour. I had to take time off from lessons, and was furious at myself for getting so out of shape that I couldn't do what I wanted to do most. I had no idea what to do about it & googled weight loss. I got two results, Weight Watchers and MFP. I chose MFP and started counting calories because it was free and counting calories makes more sense to me than a random point system. I met my weight loss goals a while back and I'm still here for the support. It is my new lifestyle. I know I'll have to count calories forever because my problem is portion control. I always chose healthy food; I just ate too much.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Sylvia – great idea

I’m Kim – I live in N. California (SF bay area); I am single -never married; I have a dog Levi, one DN (darling nephew 17 years old -senior in high school), a DGS (darling god-son 23 years old – has his BS – wants his Masters but is looking for work as a break between BS and MS), a DGD (darling god daughter 19 years old – sophomore in college). I am 56 years old; I own 3 small businesses – of which I am the only employee; I teach cooking classes via the local community center and to private clients; I do gardening for 3 clients – 2 are older and I do the “heavy lifting” and one who is also older but has a tour garden of specialty roses – so I maintain 120+ roses and other filler plants. And my main business is I own a machine embroidery business – 2 large commercial machines, I do a lot of letterjackets for high school kids, team items, and then names on many things and logos for small businesses on jackets/shirts/bags. My bio-family is a mess, and I am finding myself emotionally and am slowly replacing the toxic folks in my life with life affirming folks.

Grattracey, Walk2Health – welcome, most of us have an emotional/stress component to our eating… so you are in good company!

Heather – do you buy make the haggis or can you get it from a vendor?

Alison – WOW what a great start to have Tom listen and agree to take the number… just a few months ago he would have been yelling at you…

Kim from N. California
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Miriam, and live in small town Iowa with my cat rescue and two newly adopted daughters, ages 8 and 11. I have three adult sons as well, one of whom lives two blocks from me! Another is half an hour away and he has a boy 7 and a girl 5. Oh, I also have a dog. I have a Masters in Rehabilitation Counseling and worked mainly in the mental health field all my life until I became unable to work due to severe arthritis and depression issues (diagnosis is Bipolar, type 2 with only mild, rare highs but severe, suicidal depression). I divorced in 1993 from an abusive marriage and have no plans to ever go there again. In the last three years of the marriage I doubled my weight, going from a slightly overweight 140 to 280. I lost 40 pretty quickly after escaping the marriage, but have struggled since then, maintaining around 240. When I started going up again from inactivity due to the arthritis, I joined MFP. I have lost about 28 pounds in the past year. I do a workout in the hot tub I bought for that purpose (there is no pool close to where I live), sitting in the footwell and doing arm work, then holding on to the side to do leg work. I also work with a Physical Therapist which has helped reduce my pain immensely. I am "skinny", showing ribs at 125 in spite of being only 5'2" (5'1" with shrinkage), but am aiming for 140-145 but this is a journey of learning better habits. When I was young, I was bulemic, then quit purging but still binged but maintained my weight with exercise (another form of purging, really) until those last three years of the marriage. I was so miserable then I did not care about anything and food was my only comfort. Oh, I have celiac so have to be completely gluten free. The undiagnosed, untreated celiac caused my arthritis, sleep apnea, severe reflux, migraines, etc. I guess that is me in a nutshell.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    x8imccxa3t50.jpg

Love reading the bios. I am copy and pasting to a word doc for future reference. Coming late to the party this is the first I am learning about some of your lives. Thanks for sharing.

Cheri NE Ohio
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    B)B)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    .. also remember to 'LOG OUT" . . .
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    x8imccxa3t50.jpg

Love reading the bios. I am copy and pasting to a word doc for future reference. Coming late to the party this is the first I am learning about some of your lives. Thanks for sharing.

Cheri NE Ohio

Sounds great!!! I don't know how to do this, never cut/paste ... Gayle Minneapolis
  • sweetnsouthernsass
    sweetnsouthernsass Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    sweetsouthernsass,

When you relinquish your evaluation process to another person or system you begin to lose yourself. When you lose yourself, you are not able to be fully present in your life, and the world around you is robbed of your unique gift.

Becca
    mantra momma from
    Oregon

Making a note of this one, I like it!

I'm just outside of Raleigh, not far from the coast in NC.

Still on the run. There's a lot I want to respond to, but yes, I think I'm going to have to open a word document later tonight when I get home.

Welcome to all the newbies!!! I'm a newbie too.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cheri, great idea! I am copying/ pasting too!
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    ngjppjyzdn3y.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,724 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi there! Heather here! Heather Eyles on Amazon where there is an author page for me. Lots of children's books on there that I wrote over 20 years or so when my children were growing up. Also the "adult" book I self published last year, WINDOWS, that I originally wrote in 1982. I am currently writing a memoir of my early years, which were pretty traumatic.
    I also was involved in theatre for many years, writing, directing and producing pieces and teaching therapeutic drama and performance skills. I had a play on BBC radio.
    I have gained and lost weight several times in my life, but after breast cancer and chemo, I lost control completely and went up to 197 pounds. I had joint and breathing issues and felt OLD. :'( I was married to my wonderful second husband whom I met on line in 2003 and he patiently encouraged me to take the first tentative steps towards exercising . When I burst out of all my fat clothes I was shamed into taking charge of my eating. :s
    I joined MFP about three months into that journey and it took me 18 months in total to lose 57 pounds to get to target. I have stayed there for 2 years now by logging faithfully every day and exercising 600 calories a day.
    I have two boys and one of them has given me two gorgeous grandchildren with another on the way. :D The other is coming out of a severe depression. My DH has two girls, but no grandchildren of his own. My two and he have a mutual adoration society. :laugh:
    I love travel, languages, art, science and food. I have an insatiable curiosity about almost everything. :bigsmile: Including other people. I used to be a mess, with long and severe depressions, but this is the best time of my life. I am 66. :D
    I lived in London for 40 years, but now live in the countryside in Hampshire, in the south of the UK.

Just enjoyed my Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Lemons. :D

Heather UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    e3fupkspsm0j.jpg

Flowers DH gave me because he knew I was having a hard time.

Hi I am Margaret from Minnesota. I love to garden and to sing. I was a full time teacher for fourteen years and now I sub.

:heart: Margaret
  • moots4me
    moots4me Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Good morning, All-

It was a super busy week at work (4 training workshops produced) for me and that meant additional hours before and after my normal schedule. I hate it when my workout time gets encroached on. Oh well, still able to get 30-40 minutes in on most days. I made a lobster mac last night as a big treat and now we're planning a (cold and maybe wet) hike this afternoon to atone.

Love reading all the comments here. Lagopus, my mother's family was from Norway and someday I hope to visit. Your pic of the house 'neath the golden eagles is amazing. Inspires me to get a little more serious about planning this kind of trip.

Welcome to my fellow Newbies and cheers to everyone on their successes this week.

Tracy in PNW
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Kim, I love your plans for the money if Heather wins the lottery. Wouldn’t it be a blast to all get to meet up at once? I felt the same way when I took our tree down, about how spacious things felt.

Sylvia, so glad you had a banner day at the studio. I hope you have many more like it.

Celia, welcome. How nice that you and a work friend are supporting each other. It helps. Come here often and just take it one day at a time.

Joyce, my mind went the same direction when Lillian talked about the compost. ROFL. So when are ya’ll headed to Cincinnati? Also, count me out of any step challenge with your Michelle. That was a lot of steps!

Grattracey, welcome. Finally admitting we need to do something to get the weight off is a huge first step. This is a great place for support so come often.

Gayle, you do know they say shivering in the cold helps burn calories. But it would be great if we could freeze the fat off. I like the way you think.

Heather, sorry about your pain. It does sound like a pain pill is in order if it is keeping you awake. Glad you are focusing on your book again.

Walk2health, welcome. It sounds like you have had a lot to overcome but are doing it. You mentioned the neighborhood but not where it was. Are you in the US? Come often and if you don’t mind, please sign your post with a name that you want us to call you.

PolePenny, do you really have trees that only grow to an inch tall? “species of willow and they grow to an inch tall at most” I’m thinking that was a typo? Good deal on DH going to the gym with you.

Allie, good for you in talking to Tom about getting help. I hope he will move on it.

Lisa, I never thought of eating in the dark!! Funny how the calories don’t know if it’s light or dark, or in public or in a closet. Way to go on a work out because of boredom. That’s a novel idea!!

Sylvia, I hate to disagree with you BUT, you do not “post so much boring "poor me" stuff”. I always look forward to your posts.

Southernsass, congrats on that great loss. I do just want to mention that we often lose fast in the beginning so don’t get discouraged if it really slows down. Great job!

FitKat, welcome. You will find this a very supportive and informative group. Come often and join right in. We also request that you sign each post with the name you want to be called as it makes it easier to respond.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I was the first Janet here but changed my nic to my initials (DJ) when Janetr and another Janet joined. I’m 68 years old but don’t feel it. I’ve been married to a wonderful man and my best friend for 47 years. He has been retired for 10 years and we moved to Myrtle Beach, SC from Charlotte, NC about 8 ½ years ago. I worked here until 2 ½ years ago when I retired. We have one daughter, 44 yrs. old, single and no children. She moved across the country to Oregon 2 years ago and I miss her very much. I started MFP in Oct. 2014 and have lost 62 pounds with 18 still to go. I don’t think I would have made it if it weren’t for this wonderful group of ladies. I plan to be here for years. I have a bad back so I’m very careful with exercise. I had a spinal fusion 12 years ago but my back is much better since I’ve lost weight. I was Type II diabetic and have been able to get off all my diabetes medication 6 months ago. I just hate that I was so overweight for so many years before I got to the place that I was ready to do something about it. Better late than never.

I was very excited to wake up this morning and find I was 2 pounds lighter. These are two that I gained over the holidays and they have been hanging on for dear life. I just hope they don’t reappear tomorrow. If not, then maybe I can start moving down again.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

PS. Margaret, beautiful roses!!!! My favorite color.

Sylvia, Love it!!!bleh.gif I think I have retained food in my time, too.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Great idea, Sylvia, to introduce ourselves.

I am Kay from Northeast Georgia, horrible at remembering to add a signature, so most just call me Katiebug. The dr is from an educational doctorate and is only there to remind me that I am a successful person even if the weight loss thing seems to evade me. I am 61 years old, married for 40 years, two children, two grandchildren (one on the autism spectrum), retired math teacher and math curriculum specialist. I don't mind any of you knowing my real name (my last name is unusual), but I never put it on here because I don't want my posts to show up in a Google search. I still dabble a little in professional learning for adults, some math related and some related to my church.

I was still at a very healthy weight after having my two children. It was only when I started going back to school for extra degrees that I put on the pounds. Then a hysterectomy and more degrees and I found myself weighing 250 lbs in the middle of my doctoral program. I joined weight watchers online and managed to shed 30 lbs. My screen name was healthydr2be. That is the sad story behind why I added the dr to Katiebug. I became the dr but not the healthy. I started to put the weight back on when I stopped paying for WW. That scared me but somehow I found MFP. I am a slow loser, but I have managed to get back down to 210. I just recently joined a gym and began a weight training program to see if that would bump me off of this "premature maintenance" and into onederland.

Welcome to all the newbs.