WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »

To the new gal that said this was a closed group, she never introduced herself, or anything. I have a "new member" feature built in to my computer, and it didn't go off. She said none of the key words like, "Hi I am New, may I join this little group, or how do I join". My computer picks up on those. With all the bells and whistles too!

Becca
    Oregon

Becca, sweet southernersass introduced herself on page 25.

I'm sorry, sweetsouthernsass. We didn't mean to ignore you. This is a very chatty, fast moving group. To keep up, we (well, at least I) often skim pages at a time, so we miss things. Welcome! Please come back. I promise we really are a friendly, supportive (but possibly crazy at times) group.
  • sweetnsouthernsass
    sweetnsouthernsass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome :)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Lisa –“Kimses... I tell them I'm looking for the last company I will ever want to work for... you can take that two ways, but so far everyone's taken it as a positive. ” What a GREAT line!!! Love it.

Heather – you could save your marriage by just giving the money (lotto winnings) to each of us in form of airfare to all meet up!

Gloria – so glad to hear the good news of an apartment with new carpet and flooring!

Southernsass – welcome!!!

So yesterday evening I went to a neighbor’s for dinner, and I was so glad I had extra calories…she served a shepherd’s pie, topped with sweet potatoes and asparagus. It was ok, a bit bland – and the asparagus she made 3 spears each… I got the recipe for the Shepard’s pie put in to the recipe deal on MFP – 600 calories per serving!!! I smiled at the 3 spears of asparagus, I’ll usually do 8-10 for me then I have less of the main dish… but good company – so it was nice.

Today I finished up cleaning up Christmas, took the tree outside (it’s a cut tree) tomorrow I’ll chop it up and put in the green can (yard waste). I think the house feels so roomy after I take the tree out and decorations down, but sort of empty!

I listen to NPR often and have a prairie home companion on – it makes me smile!

Thinking about intentions/resolutions/goals for January and 2016. So I think I will do the monthly regular commitments of
    1. Walk daily, yoga weekly
    2. Log everything
    3. Fit in fun

And the annual goal is to be in better financial shape at 12/31/2016 than I was on 12/31/2015 – because although the business generates what I need, I am still paying for the time between being laid off in 2008 and the business starting in 2011.. While I don’t think I can catch up in just one year, I should be able to put a dent in it. To fulfill the financial goal I will eat out less, and be more careful to not waste any food, bring my lunch or snacks as appropriate. I will also plan better so I can take advantage of deals.

Smiles Kim

Kim from N. California
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »

And the annual goal is to be in better financial shape at 12/31/2016 than I was on 12/31/2015 – because although the business generates what I need, I am still paying for the time between being laid off in 2008 and the business starting in 2011.. While I don’t think I can catch up in just one year, I should be able to put a dent in it. To fulfill the financial goal I will eat out less, and be more careful to not waste any food, bring my lunch or snacks as appropriate. I will also plan better so I can take advantage of deals.

:)Kim, I really like the way you matched your long term goal with actions you'll take to get there.....bravo :):)

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    thanks Barbie!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
    damnit - i already bought the new one
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Southernsass ... Hello there ... I've been skimming so missed you earlier ... Sorry about that!

Cullie ... I'm currently in NY but lived in Pittsburgh (South Hills -- Whitehall) for the first 21 years of my life. Then went to school in Ediboro for four years and married my husband and lived in Erie for 9 years after that. While I've been in NY 23 years, I still consider myself a Pennsylvanian and people still hear a Pittsburgh accent.

I succumbed to the sugar siren ... Sigh ...

Beth near Buffalo

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Southern sass, hello! Welcome back! Congrats on the 6 pounds, it's a fantastic start! Where are you from? This is a fun thread, but we need score cards to keep up, especially at the first of each month when we get the most new folks. Things will settle down soon, just stick with us. Tell us about yourself. Do you have kids, dogs, cats, hubby? We all have some kind of family drama going on, which sometimes adds to our weight problems, so this is a good place to deal with that stuff. I think these ladies know more about me than my family does. :D

Kim, I cannot STAND asparagus. You can have all my share.

Katla, how's the wrist doing?

I had such a fantastic time at the studio this afternoon! There are some days where you might as well stay home, because nothing seems to work. Then there are other days where everything your fingers touch turns golden! Today was one of those for me. I threw three fairly large bowls (mixing bowl type) and a prototype for sort of an artistic teacup/mug, and it was as if I told the clay what I wanted and it just did it for me. I was walking on air when I left for the day. I wish I had more days like that. Keep in mind that I can totally ruin all those pieces when I glaze them, but the throwing part of the process makes me very happy. It's such a huge stress reliever. I'm trying a new kind of porcelain clay and so far I love it.

Well, it's time for bed. Good night all!

Sylvia

• Clelia130
    Clelia130 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone, I'm new to this group. Just started on January 4, and so far, so good! I have 100 big ones to lose eventually, although my first short-term goal is to lose 10 pounds by February 4. I'm doing MFP with a friend at work, and I am so motivated! Wish me luck.

Clelia
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    I'm sorry, sweetsouthernsass. We didn't mean to ignore you. This is a very chatty, fast moving group. To keep up, we (well, at least I) often skim pages at a time, so we miss things. Welcome! Please come back. I promise we really are a friendly, supportive (but possibly crazy at times) group.

Yes all of this!!!! Welcome and be prepared to read-a-lot or skim-a-lot or skip-a-lot. Whatever works for you!

So thankful for this wonderful, supportive group of women! :)<3

Cheri NE Ohio
  • sweetnsouthernsass
    Options
    I'm married with two grown kids. I never had a weight problem until I had kids. I'm from NC. Back in 2008 I was a featured success story for a popular diet plan. In 2009 they flew me to LA for my 5 seconds of fame in several TV Infomercials. Between 2009 and to the present, I've had several surgeries. I'm very accident prone. A year ago, I had a cancer scare and had a full hysterectomy. 8 weeks ago I had some knee surgery. Not that these are excuses, but it has taken me back to "square one" several times. I'm a very determined person with a lot of drive, but it can be frustrating! So, I'm back to "square one" again and need to get back to my happy place. I will. For sure. But would love to have some company and encouragement along the way. So that's the rest of the story. ;)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure how all this works but...I'm NEW! Does that work set off the bells and whistles?

I'm 50+. I currently have a goal of losing 52lbs. One pound for each week this year. So far I'm up to 6lbs. I have a Valentine's challenge currently going under groups. Need a few more peeps in it. I'm very motivating to others but need motivation as well.

Just call me southernsass

Greetings Southernsass!! Yep that I did :-) Our little group has no restrictions just vent, yell, we all just keep each other motivated. And if you don't come on every now and then, well then we wonder whats up. Congrats in choosing MFP, and I support your effort in losing that 52 lbs. Personally I have a ways to go still, but we all are on different paths of our journeys, some on maintaining their losses and others just beginning. You can call me Becca :-)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options

To the new gal that said this was a closed group, she never introduced herself, or anything. I have a "new member" feature built in to my computer, and it didn't go off. She said none of the key words like, "Hi I am New, may I join this little group, or how do I join". My computer picks up on those. With all the bells and whistles too!

Becca
    Oregon

um DrKatiebug, I will plead the 5th and say it was all my colds fault. But I am getting better :-)
    Becca
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies. Lillian, was a bit concerned about all you mentioned about the nice veggies you are taking to your get together, then you mentioned the nice meat tray and then you had to go check the compost? I;m not sure if compost is the same in Canada as in the US but I don't want compost along with veggies and meat tray!!!! LOL

Penny, I had to check on my calender and you are so smart. this is a leap year. I wonder if my daughter will ask her boyfriend to marry her. They have been dating aver a year now.

Christina messaged me and asked if we are still planning on meeting in Cincinatti. Huh??????? Apparently Charlie suggested it since my brother was sick and couldn't come for Christmas. This is from the same guy who tried to drive the 2.2 miles to the local walking mall but had to get home real quick because he was going to soil himself. So he wants to drive to Cincinatti now!

You remember I gave Michelle a fit bit for Christmas. She was in a work week challenge and she won. She did 200,000 steps at work. She is a shift supervisor and also has to take other peoples jobs if they are sick, etc. She does a lot of walking. I told her to never involve me in any challenge.

Got to go get things ready for church tomorrow and hang up early tonight.

Joyce, Indiana
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Clelia ... Welcome!
  • Annr
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Clelia, Proud of you starting! That is the hardest part, but once you get the hang of logging in every day, its empowering! Any mental baggage you have just throw in the white parts of the screen here :-) I know with me I started a journal and wrote a lot of the whys and how comes into the reasoning of my weight issue. A lot of that is messy emotional work. I wrote a letter to my mother (she has passed) telling her I forgive her for all she put me thru during high school...(long story) and then I had my therapist shred it. It has now power over me now. It was quite liberating. Just getting mental stuff down on paper is quite a release. Also you can vent on here, no worries.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options

Becca
    Oregon

um DrKatiebug, I will plead the 5th and say it was all my colds fault. But I am getting better :-)
    Becca
    uh wait....did DrKatiebug call me crazy...hahahahaha.....ok I will take that as a compliment. It's better than calling me weird (which most Oregonians are proudly by the way).
    Becca
    that crazy Oregonian...(hmm it has a nice ring to it) snickers..
  • sweetnsouthernsass
    Options
    Clelia130 wrote: »
    Hi, everyone, I'm new to this group. Just started on January 4, and so far, so good! I have 100 big ones to lose eventually, although my first short-term goal is to lose 10 pounds by February 4. I'm doing MFP with a friend at work, and I am so motivated! Wish me luck.

Clelia

Welcome, I'm new too!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    janetr= bullwinkle is doing ok, just gotta make sure she's not being too active, especially around the other 2. thanks for asking

Glad to hear. It is hard to keep them still, especially with the others close by.

Janetr
  • Annr
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sweetsouthernsass, I had Jenny Craig help me lose weight, but I lost the weight, and didn't learn anything. I went from 265 to 179 and still felt like I needed to lose more. Sure if you buy the food you lose the weight, but I didn't lose it in my head. Here is a saying that sums it all up for me:

When you relinquish your evaluation process to another person or system you begin to lose yourself. When you lose yourself, you are not able to be fully present in your life, and the world around you is robbed of your unique gift.

So no more programs for me. I don't judge others in doing those programs, its just not for me. I am still getting over the guilt of spending all that money out for a program that ultimately failed.

So now I say if its important to me, I'll find a way. If it's not, I'll find an excuse. (Actually I have a pile of index cards of great sayings that speak to me and help motivate me, and I thumb thru them daily). Reprogramming this ol brain of mine!
    Becca
    mantra momma from
    Oregon