To egg yolk or not to egg yolk?

Options

Replies

• Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I asked my trainer about this and he said yolk because it does have healthy fats. So I use 1 whole egg and supplement with egg whites for omelettes
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are solely for adding protein when I don't have many calories available and need more protein. For breakfast, it is eggs, 2-3 fried over very light with a slice of toast. And sometimes bacon.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Definitely, to yolk! I typically eat two whole eggs a couple times each week.

yiibtop8epmo.jpg
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Runny yolks over quinoa are the bomb.com. Half of the protein in an egg is in the yolk. If you just really cannot fit it into your calories, skip it. But if you eat them, they'll def keep you full longer.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Always whole egg. It is much more nutrient. Unless you have some medical issue which restricts you from yolks for some reason, always eat it.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Real eggs. The whole egg, white, yolk the whole darn thing.

Egg beaters are yucky, and they have a funny after taste.
  • dashley28
    dashley28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So general consensus is definitely pro yolk! That's awesome! Thanks guys :)
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yolks all the way!! Best part of the egg!!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    its pretty agreed upon these days that egg cholesterol doesn't really affect your cholesterol. I always yolk... making deviled eggs as we speak.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    dashley28 wrote: »
    Wow thanks for all the great input, some of the comments are so funny! I have low cholesterol so I don't really have to worry about that and I am active probably 6x a week. I eat about 2 eggs regularly, at least 4-5 times a week. Is it ok to eat yolk that many times or should I be doing some white and some yolk like I'm reading others do. I seem to be in my caloric goal just fine with this, I don't usually go over.

Basically I'm mostly trying to gain some muscle with heavy lifting, that's my main focus but I also want to lose a little fat before a vacation 7 weeks so I have a small calorie deficit. I am 29, 5'4' , 128lbs and have a body fat percentage of around 24%. With my stats and goals is it reasonable to eat all my eggs with yolks?

Again you guys are great, I love that I can so quickly get the advice I'm looking for. This app is changing the game for me. :)

With your current body fat %, i wouldnt try to gain muscle (essentially, this means you would be gaining weight). At that %, you should still have a small deficit, try to get about .8g of protein per lb of mass and continue to lift to help cut the fat. Once you are closer to 20% then a bulk could be considered.

Keep in mind that gaining actual muscle, not to be confused with more efficient muscles, is difficult to achieve while cutting fat, especially for women.
  • LninYoDA1htownG
    LninYoDA1htownG Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I mix it up mostly white though
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lninyoda1 wrote: »
    I mix it up mostly white though

I do the same but only because i need a large volume of food.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Fat from the egg yolk is great for you! I personally like to eat high volume, so I don't eat the whole egg very often. I'll do a ton of egg whites, and add avocado to get my fats. Or bacon.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    an egg is only 80 cal so eat it
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yolks! Plus the whole egg is awesome it's the perfect ratio of fat and protein (think a complete protein?) in one neat package.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Grosen17 wrote: »
    More nutrients in the yolk so EAT IT :)
    As long as you're active you don't really have to worry about a yolk or two unless you have high cholesterol..
    It's not like you're about to down 1/2 dozen eggs

And even then. I will forever say this....eating an egg or two a day lowered my cholesterol (NOTHING else changed except the 100ish calories the eggs plus egg whites I eat every night replaced).

Plus the yolks are just so freakin' yummy and more filling than just egg whites.

OOOhhhhhhhh sooooo happy to hear this! I have high cholesterol and was worried about yolks. I read eggs are extremely healthy. Was hoping it was true.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I eat my eggs hard boiled. Yolks are a must.

I tried using carton egg whites for scrambled eggs, but they came out really rubbery.
    Unless a recipe calls for egg whites, I'll probably just use the whole thing. Heck, I've even replaced the egg whites I used to keep with real egg product. :p
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Suzanne106 wrote: »
    I would use all egg whites and then one yolk for flavor. The yolk isn't bad for you, so enjoy!
    Same. 3 whites, 1 whole egg. With chicken sausage. At least 5x a week.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    quiarga wrote: »
    Why would you waste a good yolk?

yup. eat it, eggs are the complete nommy food package.