To egg yolk or not to egg yolk?

That's the question on my mind. I know that having just the whites are basically better and that the yolks are full of fat. How crucial is it though, is it really going to make a big difference? I've read conflicting articles. The taste is just so much better with the whole egg lol....

Replies

• TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Eh, if you don't have reason to watch your cholesterol, giver - in moderation of course lol.
    I tend to do 2 egg whites and one whole eggs for my scrambled.
  • Grosen17
    Grosen17 Posts: 57 Member
    More nutrients in the yolk so EAT IT :)
    As long as you're active you don't really have to worry about a yolk or two unless you have high cholesterol..
    It's not like you're about to down 1/2 dozen eggs

• beckyml1980
    beckyml1980 Posts: 126 Member
    TO YOLK!!!!! I always eat my yolks. So many nutrients in them. :) nom!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Grosen17 wrote: »
    As long as you're active you don't really have to worry about a yolk or two unless you have high cholesterol..

^
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    For me it depends.

I have an veggie omelet for breakfast probably 3 - 4 days a week, and I make those with breakfree egg product mostly to save calories (25 per serving for Break Frees versus 75 for a whole egg).

But if I want an egg over easy for breakfast or hard boiled in a salad or for a snack--which I do maybe once or twice a week--it's yolks all the way, baby!
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Why would you waste a good yolk?
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    edited January 2016
    From the good old British National Health Service:
    How many eggs is it safe to eat?

There is no recommended limit on how many eggs people should eat.

Eggs can be enjoyed as part of a healthy balanced diet, but it's best to cook them without adding salt or fat. For example:
    •hard-boiled or poached, without added salt
    •scrambled, without butter – which is high in saturated fat

Frying eggs can increase their fat content by around 50%.

To get the nutrients you need, make sure you eat as varied a diet as possible.

Eggs and cholesterol

Having high cholesterol levels in our blood increases our risk of heart disease.

Although eggs contain cholesterol, the amount of saturated fat we eat has more effect on the amount of cholesterol in our blood than the cholesterol we get from eating eggs.

If your GP or health professional has told you to watch your cholesterol levels, your priority should be to cut down on saturated fat across your diet.

If you are eating a balanced diet, you only need to cut down on eggs if you have been told to do so by your GP or dietician.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    I can't be bothered to separate and waste stuff, or try to figure out what to do with the poor neglected yolk later.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    I would use all egg whites and then one yolk for flavor. The yolk isn't bad for you, so enjoy!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Mmmmmm runny yolk. Nom nom nom. :)
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member

If eating a 1/2 dozen eggs with yolks is wrong I don't want to be right.
  • wanger21
    wanger21 Posts: 9 Member
    IMO eggs from hens with diets supplemented with flax seed are worth it - and if you're paying the money for those eggs you should eat the yolks because you're paying for the additional Omega 3s which are all in the yolks.

Otherwise, if you think you have too much fat in your diet and not enough of the other stuff, do like some folks say and reduce the ratio of egg yolks to egg whites in your scramble. If you don't know if you have too much fat or not, you should determine a guideline of what works for you on a daily basis and then see if eggs fit your eating habits.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Recent changes to dietary guidelines have removed the restriction on dietary cholesterol, saying that it is no longer a nutrient of concern. Additionally, it's becoming more and more accepted that fat isn't as bad for you as previously thought, even saturated fat, which people were previously told to avoid as much as possible. (Even so, an egg yolk only has ~5g of fat, ~2g saturated, which is barely a blip in most people's day.)

If it fits your calories and macros and taste preferences, there's absolutely no reason not to eat the yolk!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member

And even then. I will forever say this....eating an egg or two a day lowered my cholesterol (NOTHING else changed except the 100ish calories the eggs plus egg whites I eat every night replaced).

Plus the yolks are just so freakin' yummy and more filling than just egg whites.
  • eskimum
    eskimum Posts: 9 Member
    i eat 1 whole egg then 2 egg whites (i use the egg whites in the carton) for my omelette or frittata
  • M111111111
    M111111111 Posts: 269 Member
    All the yolks. All the time. :#
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    joolsmd wrote: »
    From the good old British National Health Service:
    How many eggs is it safe to eat?

There is no recommended limit on how many eggs people should eat.

Eggs can be enjoyed as part of a healthy balanced diet, but it's best to cook them without adding salt or fat. For example:
    •hard-boiled or poached, without added salt
    •scrambled, without butter – which is high in saturated fat

Frying eggs can increase their fat content by around 50%.

To get the nutrients you need, make sure you eat as varied a diet as possible.

Eggs and cholesterol

Having high cholesterol levels in our blood increases our risk of heart disease.

Although eggs contain cholesterol, the amount of saturated fat we eat has more effect on the amount of cholesterol in our blood than the cholesterol we get from eating eggs.

If your GP or health professional has told you to watch your cholesterol levels, your priority should be to cut down on saturated fat across your diet.

If you are eating a balanced diet, you only need to cut down on eggs if you have been told to do so by your GP or dietician.

Yeah, I thought I remembered reading that egg cholesterol does't contribute to cholesterol

The only reason I bother going without the yolk is if I can't afford the calories and I usually add at least one whole egg when using just egg whites, for taste and they seem to cook better.
  • Grosen17
    Grosen17 Posts: 57 Member

If eating a 1/2 dozen eggs with yolks is wrong I don't want to be right.

Lol not many of us Would want to be right
    Love eggs :smiley:
  • dashley28
    dashley28 Posts: 32 Member
    edited January 2016
    Wow thanks for all the great input, some of the comments are so funny! I have low cholesterol so I don't really have to worry about that and I am active probably 6x a week. I eat about 2 eggs regularly, at least 4-5 times a week. Is it ok to eat yolk that many times or should I be doing some white and some yolk like I'm reading others do. I seem to be in my caloric goal just fine with this, I don't usually go over.

Basically I'm mostly trying to gain some muscle with heavy lifting, that's my main focus but I also want to lose a little fat before a vacation 7 weeks so I have a small calorie deficit. I am 29, 5'4' , 128lbs and have a body fat percentage of around 24%. With my stats and goals is it reasonable to eat all my eggs with yolks?

Again you guys are great, I love that I can so quickly get the advice I'm looking for. This app is changing the game for me. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I'm intolerant to egg yolk so have to be careful with how many I eat ...so I mainly eat egg white but I add soft cheese triangle to it and mushrooms and ham for taste and consistency

If I didn't have a mild reaction to yolk I'd eat it more often because of the nutrients