The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    4.4 miles this morning, including Parkrun. 44/60.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    eek time to get ready for the race
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Anyone have a 5K to 10K training program they'd recommend I follow? I'm at the point where I can finish 3 to 4 miles and feel like I can do more, but I'm not sure if I should push it too much. My legs are feeling good. Other than normal muscle aches I have no complaints.

You might not even need a program. If you're want to actually run the distance from a mental preparation standpoint.)

Blast from the past: In 2011, I trained myself up to a 5K, ran one in October, and looked for a 5K on Thanksgiving Day. There wasn't one locally, but there was a race that said it was 4.4 miles. That was about what I was running, and the distance seemed perfect; but the web site said it from a 5K; but the game changes between the 10K distance and the half marathon distance.

Funny you say that because I said F it and set out to complete 5 miles today and nailed it. Was certainly tired at the end but I could have kept pounding a bit longer if a finish line was ahead of me somehwere. I think my fitness is there, I just need to get my mind to catch up with my body. Seeing all you middle aged folk (like me) post big distances is certainly keeping me motivated to improve. Thanks for that!

https://www.strava.com/activities/471120924

I slowed my pace and quit trying to be fast, focus on non-stop distance. When I want to walk I just tell myself "you are walking, you can walk all day". It does seem to help. (Until my calf hurts, and I'll walk 0.5-1mile, usually fine after that).

I ran my first Half never being able to run much more than 3 miles nonstop. Something about a race keeps ya going.

@shanaber I do PT exercises every other day for my hips, glutes. I can tell when I slack off too.
  • saraovoxo
    saraovoxo Posts: 44 Member
    Options

exercise.png

SUCH a good run! Almost beat my PR by SECONDS. My pace is faster, I'm not tiring out early. Looking forward to the next run :)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

exercise.png

01/02 3.5miles
    01/04 3miles
    01/06 4miles
    01/09 3.5miles
    01/13 3miles
    01/16 3miles
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)
    1/7: 4 miles (am), 6 miles with the Thursday crew (pm)
    1/8: Rest day
    1/9: 12.2 miles with the Saturday crew
    1/10: 5 miles
    1/11: 5.8 miles with "Joe-to-Go" crew
    1/12: Rest day
    1/13: 4 miles treadmill (am), 7.1 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)
    1/14: 6 miles (am), no second run :[
    1/15: Rest day
    1/16: 7 miles with Saturday crew

Big group this morning! I broke off into a group with 4 guys, and then we ran too far because we took a wrong turn somewhere. Luckily, no one was close enough following so we were the only ones who almost got lost. Wanted to do 6, but ended up doing 7. I wasn't sure how my toe/foot was going to fare as it was a bit achy for the first 1-1.5 miles, but I kept going and it felt fine by the end. I'll keep 'em taped though and continue icing, etc. so I can get my 10 miler in tomorrow.

Good luck to those who are racing this weekend!!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I usually run in the morning, the house is cooler (cold) and I'm the only one home. But this morning I felt very sluggish, my calves were very tight and the house was freezing, so skipped the run. But I really like running, so I decided I would try after work. UGH. The house was way to warm and it felt like I was running one step at a time.

1/01 - 4.7 walk/run treadmill
    1/02 - rest, did a half hour x-country ski
    1/03 - 4.5 walk/run treadmill
    1/04 - rest
    1/05 - 3.7+ (I shut off the treadmill during the run..oops)11 min steady run
    1/06 - rest
    1/07 - 4.4 ran all the run bits, first time. did two 10 min runs. felt awesome.
    1/08 - rest, went for a ski, beautiful sunny winter weather!
    1/09 - 4.5 ran all the run bits AGAIN
    1/10 - I was a sloth. Ate like I ran a marathon.
    1/11 - 4.5 third time i ran all the run bits, must make it true
    1/12 - rest
    1/13 - 4.5 zombies week6 w1. was challenging! but I ran all the run bits again :)
    1/14 - rest
    1/15 - 4.4

exercise.png

Treadmill runner for now, following zombies5k. Running at 180spm seems to be keeping the shin splints at bay.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 5k
    3/1 - 7k
    5/1 - 1k walk
    6/1 - 3k
    7/1 - 2.5k
    9/1 - 7k
    10/1 - 5k intervals
    12/1 - 2k walk
    13/1 - 1k
    14/1 - 5k
    16/1 - 7k

45.5/80

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 3.4 miles
    1/3 - 2.4 miles
    1/9 - 4 miles
    1/15 - 1.5 dreadmill miles at gym
    1/16 - 3.5 miles

14.8 of 120 miles

Used KT tape on the ITBS this morning, got 2.5 miles in before it started to hurt. Decided not to push it and headed home, the last quarter mile was rough but I didn't stop and didn't cry lol sounds like a win to me.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm glad the KT tape helped! And no tears = a win, in my book! Hope your knee is on the up and up and you can get back to pain-free running soon!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run
    1/3 - 5.16 easy with fast finish
    1/4 - 6.01 easy
    1/5 - 11.09 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 - 5.95 group run
    1/7 - 8.04 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/8 - scheduled rest day
    1/9 - 16.48 warm up + Winter Warrior Half
    1/10 - 7.46 easy
    1/11 - 10.07 easy
    1/12 - 8.39 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/13 - 8.02 easy and snowy
    1/14 - 8.70 warm up, speed work, cool down
    1/15 - scheduled rest day
    1/16 - 13.64 with hills

January to date total - 131.47

Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes - The training assignment was 10-13 miles with hills. My initial plan was that if we didn't have a snowstorm I'd go run the Spring Forward route (all rolling hills, net downhill for 10K then net uphill for 5K) plus 4 miles of out and back in the Mendon hills. But Thursday at speed work, a friend suggested we do a run around Irondequoit Bay. He knew the route, and doing an around the bay was on my bucket list, and there are hills. So that was decided. Bill said it was about 14 miles, so I cut my cool down short by a mile Thursday to make room for a slightly longer run on Saturday.

We got great running weather at 8 AM; 39° and cloudy, looking dismal, but no rain and 11 mph W wind. It was cool enough to run comfortably. It looked awful, which helps keep the traffic light. My target was to be at a pace between 8:00 and 8:30 per mile. It turned out that Bill wants to eventually do an around the bay at an average below 8:00 per minute, so he was pushing some of the easy sections harder than I liked; but I'm naturally a bit faster than him and currently in better shape for distance, so I outran him going up the hills and either waited or ran a few circles at the top.

Oh, the hills: We start almost down at the shoreline level of Irondequoit Bay; call it the same level as Lake Ontario. We go up to the top of the Niagara escarpment and back down to near shoreline level four times. Bill calls it three and a half hills, because one of the times going up isn't very steep and just keeps going for quite a while; that's the half hill. The last two were HILLS, where I slowed down close to a 10:00 pace because they were so steep. But I did run the hills all the way from bottom to top, even the steep one at mile 12. I thought about Heartbreak Hill all the way up that one.

Total time was 1:50:58, total distance 13.64 miles, for an average pace of 8:08 per mile. The average is in my easy pace range, but the mile splits were all over the place given the terrain. Full mile splits ranged from 7:39 to 8:53. The last 0.64 mile came in at a 7:09 pace; but that was mostly a huge downhill, and I did a stride on the flat road at the very end.

The Sunday through Saturday training week came in at 56.28 miles, versus a target of 56 miles. I feel pretty good about making it come out that close. Cutting a mile off my cool down on Thursday was definitely a good decision.

It's a lot of miles to Boston, and today some of them were hills. I suspect that running the downhills was even more important than running the uphills, in terms of preparing for Boston.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Foward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good luck at your race @moyer566!

Glad to hear you were able to have some pain free miles @skippygirlsmom!

@kristinegift - From the sound of it your foot must be better. Especially with the extra mileage!

Today was a planned 12 mile long run. It has been...FOREVER since I have run that far. The last time I ran that far was November 15th when I ran my last full marathon. It's been speed and short mileage since. Everything showed today. My work to increase pace showed in my pace being a full 2 minutes faster through the first two 4 mile circuits (so I could come inside for water due to the freezing cold outside). My lack of endurance training since November showed through on the final circuit. I felt pretty good to mile 9, and pushed through to mile 10, but after that my legs just didn't have the push any more and my pace slowed down to about 15:00/mile. I think cold may have been a small factor too, I could have probably used another layer on that last circuit. After the 11 mile marker I kept telling myself I can do that last single mile, could do a mile in my sleep, but I was depleted and took a shortcut home making it a total of 11.5 miles.

1/1 - 2.25 miles
    1/3 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - 6.5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles
    1/9 - 4 miles
    1/12 - 3.25 miles
    1/14 - 4.6 miles
    1/16 - 11.5 miles

40.2 of 50 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/30 - BattleFrog 8k obstacle course run (Kansas City, MO)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - glad the KT tape helped! No crying is a good thing!

Ran around 11am and it was too darn hot! Said it was only 73 but it felt much more with humidity. Busy weekend but I should be able to get some runs in. :smiley:

Jan 1 -41 mile bike ride
    Jan 2 - 34 mile bike ride
    Jan 3 - rest day
    Jan 4 - rest day
    Jan 5 - 5.25 miles
    Jan 6 - 3.3 miles
    Jan 7-11 - Sick :(
    Jan 12 - 4.1 miles — finally!!! Felt so great.
    Jan 13 - strength training + 1 mile on treadmill
    Jan 14 - 5.2 miles
    Jan 15 - 5.1 miles; trainer cancelled
    Jan 16 - 4.2 miles

exercise.png

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    semester is beginning soon and am swamped with work. ugh!

1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 — excellent run, slow pace 11:45. But pain in the heels and achilles afterwards. got better with ice treatment!
    1/4 elliptical day, no run
    1/5 rest day
    1/6 6.5 — ran in 28 degree weather. starting to feel 30 degree weather might be pushing it too warm for comfort :) My heels, which bothered me after my last run (stretched, iced, and rested) held up quite nicely during today’s run. i guess i should just recognize that every time i push myself a bit more on distance or on speed, i should expect some pain if not planned well enough and if not done in a gradual way.
    1/7 3.64 — the run was okay at 10:30 per mile, but the roads were slippery because of some freezing rain. icing helps a great deal with the pain. I still have some pain in my achilles, but doing much better everyday. I took it easy though.
    1/9 6.11 —nice group run while snowing lightly!
    1/10 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/11 4.31 — 6 degree weather @10:50
    1/12 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/13 5.08
    1/14 3.14 — have to say, those compression socks rock! first time user, wow! Did s half hour of elliptical too!
    1/15 cross training—elliptical training for 90 minutes. That was good!
    1/16 6.08 —

50.68/70

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    @cheriesanta - I typically have my upcoming races listed in my distance updates and can search on one of the words in the race names by clicking on the little magnifying glass next to the page links at the top or bottom of the page. It is easier for me than using the notification lists and searching that way.
    @MorningGhost14 - let us know how the run experiment works out for you :wink:
    @Ch1psNQueso - I agree with what has been said about not really needing a training program. I also just increased my distances over time. I really didn't even know about training plans. A friend signed me up for a half marathon when she knew I was managing 10 miles for my long runs and that was my first race. Even if you don't have anyone to sign up for a race with, just find a local one that looks like fun and go for it - maybe a 5k first or a 10k. Runners are a very welcoming group of people and will help you find your way if need be. You may even find others at the race who seem to be going your pace, that you can run with and don't be afraid to tell them it is your first race. If you want to check it out before you sign up for one just find one close by and go and see what it is all about.
    @ddmom0811 - glad you are feeling better and back to getting some running in! I'm sorry about your trainer though. I would be really sad if my trainer quit!
    @moyer566 - Good luck on your race! Hope you had a wonderful time!!
    @kristinegift and @skippygirlsmom - glad both of your injuries are getting better!
    @WhatMeRunning - 11.5 while not 12 is still a great run! You will get back to being able to do 12-13 easily again!

No run for me today. I am stiff and sore from my fall last night and my knee is bruised and swollen. I have taken some Aleve and am icing the knees and staying pretty low key and quiet today. I am going to try some gentle stretching or maybe some yoga later today. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. I hope to get in some kind of run if not a long one.

I am also having to work today with meetings and deliverables so even if I felt fine I might not have been able to run anyways - certainly not a long run. I am hoping to be done in time to watch most of the Packers football game (Go Pack Go!!).
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    1/1....................REST...................0.00
    1/2.....................16.00.................16.00
    1/3.......................5.00.................21.00
    1/4.....................REST................21.00
    1/5.......................7.00.................28.00
    1/6.......................5.00.................33.00
    1/7.......................7.00.................40.00
    1/8...................WEIGHTS...........40.00
    1/9......................16.50................56.50
    1/10......................5.00................61.50
    1/11....................REST...............61.50
    1/12......................6.00................67.50
    1/13......................4.25................71.75
    1/14......................5.25................77.00
    1/15....................REST...............77.00
    1/16.....................14.00...............91.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    May 14, 2016 Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50K (Portersville, PA)
    June 4, 2106 38 Mile NIght Fun Run (Kettle Moraine State Forest, WI)
    October 1, 2016 Cloudsplitter 100K (Pine Mountain, KY)
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    second 10 miler of the weekend, much faster. Whew.

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Grrr.. Really wish I got a Garmin instead of the Fitbit Charge HR now... I wish I had GPS and my splits on my watch so I didn't need my phone all of the time.. The fitbit isn't waterproof and the amount of times I've now gotten it wet from bathing my kids or doing the dishes.. I swear I will kill it! I don't like how it can't just take one RHR measurement each morning when you wake up, instead it takes it over the entire day and then averages it out.. And because I have the HR turned on, I have to charge it every 2 days or else it tells me the battery is dead! When I looked up how to stop this from happening, it suggests to turn off the HR monitoring! What's the point in owning a Charge HR if you need to turn the HR off to save battery?! Hmm... Anyone else share my frustration?

I was thinking of trying to sell it on a Buy Swap Sell forum yesterday though it was a Christmas gift and I don't want to offend... In all honesty I wish I had done more research before asking for one Eep!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I slowed my pace and quit trying to be fast, focus on non-stop distance. When I want to walk I just tell myself "you are walking, you can walk all day". It does seem to help. (Until my calf hurts, and I'll walk 0.5-1mile, usually fine after that).

I ran my first Half never being able to run much more than 3 miles nonstop. Something about a race keeps ya going.
    I need to take this advice myself... Over the last few weeks I got a bit caught up on speed intervals and although I got a sub-30 PB for 5km, my shins are paying for it! Think I need to go back to my shuffle for a bit :smirk: lol

@Elise4270 What was your time on that HM by the way.. If you don't mind my asking? I was initially aiming for around 2:38 with My Asics app, though I am thinking I might need walking breaks so maybe it will be more around the 3hr mark
  • ImNoAngel2
    ImNoAngel2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

exercise.png

1/1 - 4.0 miles
    1/16 - 4.83 miles