Menstruation

Options

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Bleeding your guts out?! I'd highly recommend the ER because you're going to need a transfusion.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    like i tell my 17 year old ..... life does not stop because you have cramps.

take some motrin, suck it up, and carry on ....

I've been hospitalized due to cramps and bleeding heavily enough that my iron levels have dropped to dangerous levels. My mom told me the same thing and it was actually my dad that took me to the hospital. I'm on birth control to control it.

OP, assuming you're not at that level - it's still ok to take a day to yourself. I don't exercise on the worst day/ the middle of my cycle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    BunnyBomb wrote: »
    I do two very specific things with my diet on those days, planning ahead to do them...

1. I avoid any and all acidic vegetables and fruits, including fruit juice, citrus, etc. For me they always, always lead to more cramps! Instead I drink more alkalising juices that also work to reduce my arthritis (you'll hate it, but it's cucumber & celery juice with ginger root - I use a masticating juicer so it copes with ginger root)
    2. I soak in Epsom Salts in the bath (basically magnesium) to relax the muscles. If it's really bad I take a magnesium supplement before bed and find it stops the night cramps.

I've been doing these same 2 things for years and darned if they don't work. I then carry on

ginger is supposed to be anti-inflammatory

Alkaline juice is woo...sorry
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I wish healthcare would pay attention to women's hormonal health. They sort of pass it off with statements like, that's normal, or, you're just getting older, or, there's nothing wrong. Hmmmm.
    I've used this site for help with female issues, I like them. They're also informative, here's a link to one of their articles on cramps, plus a supplement recommendation at the bottom of the article.
    http://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/pms-and-menstruation/dysmenorrhea.aspx
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Take a bc pill and skip the sugar pills, just take it continuously so you don't have a period. That's what I do. There's no need for a period. Especially if you have issues with extreme pain, which is true for many of us. The women who say "suck it up" - I suspect they've never had dysmenorrhea, endo, rupturing cysts, fibroids, etc.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Take a bc pill and skip the sugar pills, just take it continuously so you don't have a period. That's what I do. There's no need for a period. Especially if you have issues with extreme pain, which is true for many of us. The women who say "suck it up" - I suspect they've never had dysmenorrhea, endo, rupturing cysts, fibroids, etc.
    I say suck it up for myself, but yeah, I consider myself pretty lucky. On one of her recent cycles, my sister got really nauseous and spent an entire night vomiting. She felt awful the entire weekend and had trouble getting up.

• larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    Keep on trucking, girls. Have some dark chocolate, take a Midol, do some yoga, go for a nice walk, and win the war against your ovaries and uterus, those b!+ches!

LOL :)

Actually I don't think Midol will help with this period-- It's that bad. I did take some strong painkillers which I was prescribed for something else. They worked but now I'm drowsy as hell. May go for a short walk later.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    larali1980 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a bit graphic for the forum... but I am wondering...

What do you ladies do on THOSE DAYS? Those really BAD days where you are in severe pain and bleeding your guts out?

I was going to exercise today but oh my god... I am having the worst period ever.

This REALLY works, I was having awful cramps and did this 3 times and the pain eased a lot, enough for me to work out :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmYPhEMuYNM

My first yoga teacher was all about the props and we did these poses regularly. I don't get cramps, but if I did, I would be all over these poses.

Yoga for your period

Reclining bound angle pose
    yoga-to-help-ease-your-menstrual-period-supta.jpg

Supported child's pose
    yoga-to-help-ease-your-menstrual-period-supported-childs-pose.jpg

http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/997371/yoga-to-help-ease-your-menstrual-period
  • EleanorLynn1989
    EleanorLynn1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here suffering from the dreadful Aunt Flo wishing I was a dude. She's so violent! Luckily some medicine helped the pain but there's no way I've been able to stop eating this week.
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Last year I got a birth control implant that sits under the skin of my inner upper arm and I haven't had my period in about 12 months -- just the one time after the implant went in and that was a light one. The implant is good for 3 years, at which time I can get another one put right in and keep on merrily going along without having to remember to take a pill at a specific time every single day and never having my period. Research so far says it's more effective than getting my tubes tied, plus gyno's sometimes look at women in their 30's like we're crazy saying we don't want to have kids. But they're happy to have you keep paying every month for pills and pads. Or, in my case, putting in my implant.

And if I was someone who did want to have kids, from what I understand, I could have this removed at any time and get right on that without having to wait for anything to flush out of my system.

I'm not sure why more women don't do this. It's amazing not having to even think about my period anymore.

But I'm SO SORRY for all of you who do still suffer. :(
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Does anyone else wonder why so many women seem to have such bad cycles? I mean, that can't be normal. Seems like a more recent development.

Most months I have cramping that I can either deal with or I'll sip on raspberry leaf tea (as another poster mentioned, or another tea called Moon Cycle that has raspberry leaf and some other stuff) throughout the day to help. There are some months I'll have one day of very intense cramping that can make me very nauseous, and I can guarantee you I'm only doing what I have to do that day and then laying in bed with a heating pad. Luckily, it's usually just the one day some months.

Using a menstrual cup and cloth pads has helped decrease my cramping from what it used to be like. I also think that what I'm eating has an effect on how bad that month's cramps are. I really need to start looking closely at that. I still do some exercise, unless it's one of those bad days. It just might be less intense than I would ordinarily do, but it does help me feel better. The week before my cycle, however, I'm so exhausted that I have to be careful about my exercise or I can injure myself. There have been times the week before that I don't lift because I'm so tired there is no way I'm going to lift heavy objects that would cause major injury if I dropped them. Basically, I still exercise just at a less intense level, with the exception of the occasional really bad day. I don't feel guilty about having an occasional "lazy" day.

• veganbaum
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Last year I got a birth control implant that sits under the skin of my inner upper arm and I haven't had my period in about 12 months -- just the one time after the implant went in and that was a light one. The implant is good for 3 years, at which time I can get another one put right in and keep on merrily going along without having to remember to take a pill at a specific time every single day and never having my period. Research so far says it's more effective than getting my tubes tied, plus gyno's sometimes look at women in their 30's like we're crazy saying we don't want to have kids. But they're happy to have you keep paying every month for pills and pads. Or, in my case, putting in my implant.

And if I was someone who did want to have kids, from what I understand, I could have this removed at any time and get right on that without having to wait for anything to flush out of my system.

I'm not sure why more women don't do this. It's amazing not having to even think about my period anymore.

There are a lot of women who can't use hormonal birth control. And for those who can, some forms carry increasing risks the older you get. I am one of those for whom hormonal birth control can carry serious risks, outside of the age thing. It is not worth the risks for me. Personally, I find it a little crazy that so many women don't think it's crazy to manipulate your hormones like that on a consistent and long-term basis. However, I of course completely understand the desire to control reproduction, and think more people should be more responsible. Women should each choose the path that's right for them and doesn't affect their health, or anyone/anything else's, regardless of whether we understand each other's choices.
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

There are a lot of women who can't use hormonal birth control. And for those who can, some forms carry increasing risks the older you get. I am one of those for whom hormonal birth control can carry serious risks, outside of the age thing. It is not worth the risks for me. Personally, I find it a little crazy that so many women don't think it's crazy to manipulate your hormones like that on a consistent and long-term basis. However, I of course completely understand the desire to control reproduction, and think more people should be more responsible. Women should each choose the path that's right for them and doesn't affect their health, or anyone/anything else's, regardless of whether we understand each other's choices.

You are right. For me, this was the method that made the most sense for me. I failed to consider that there are reasons why people would avoid hormonal medications. :blush: My apologies.

(BTW I love your smooshed-face lion picture!)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

You are right. For me, this was the method that made the most sense for me. I failed to consider that there are reasons why people would avoid hormonal medications. :blush: My apologies.

No reason to ever apologize @KyleneSusan you shared something that works for you and that could help somebody else. There are many lurkers on this site that are too afraid to post but search for answers and information. Your post could help someone and you will have never known it.
    Of course there is always people who will have a different opinion , but it's still okay to share yours!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else wonder why so many women seem to have such bad cycles? I mean, that can't be normal. Seems like a more recent development.

Most months I have cramping that I can either deal with or I'll sip on raspberry leaf tea (as another poster mentioned, or another tea called Moon Cycle that has raspberry leaf and some other stuff) throughout the day to help. There are some months I'll have one day of very intense cramping that can make me very nauseous, and I can guarantee you I'm only doing what I have to do that day and then laying in bed with a heating pad. Luckily, it's usually just the one day some months.

Using a menstrual cup and cloth pads has helped decrease my cramping from what it used to be like. I also think that what I'm eating has an effect on how bad that month's cramps are. I really need to start looking closely at that. I still do some exercise, unless it's one of those bad days. It just might be less intense than I would ordinarily do, but it does help me feel better. The week before my cycle, however, I'm so exhausted that I have to be careful about my exercise or I can injure myself. There have been times the week before that I don't lift because I'm so tired there is no way I'm going to lift heavy objects that would cause major injury if I dropped them. Basically, I still exercise just at a less intense level, with the exception of the occasional really bad day. I don't feel guilty about having an occasional "lazy" day.
    I'd imagine it's not something people talked about in the 50s out of taboo.

• Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't want to use birth control but it's the only way for me to control my cycle at all. 11-13 days of bleeding and so bad cramping I can't do anything... I can't do anything like that. The reason my cramps and bleeding are so bad is polyps that keep growing back every two years no matter how often they cut them off in surgeries. I would rather get everything cut out so I would get rid of that bleeding but doctors seem to think I will want kids some day... Sigh. Not going to happen. If I ever manage to get that motherly instinct and love for children, I'll adopt.

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I'm going to swing the other way with this because I actually find that women tend to be more offensive with the "suck it up" comments. I always bite my tongue when I hear those comments because it's no one's right to tell you if you are in pain or not.

I have endometriosis, which absolutely wreaks havoc on my body. Exercise does not help. I've pushed myself at the gym as well as do lighter workouts. I find that it's an invitation to pass out (and I have from pain before).

You know your body best. If there is a day that it's to painful to workout, then just do it the next day. But if you know it will help cramps and motivation is the problem, just keep telling yourself it will aid in the pain.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I haven't been on the pill in 7 years. When I got put on it, for the first time in my life I CRAVED grease. I mean grease. I really can't explain it, it was the weirdest thing. I eventually came off of it and haven't experienced it since.
  • veganbaum
    edited January 2016
    Options

No worries. :) I just think it's important to put that out there because I see a lot of women post similar things. I think hormonal birth control is just so common, that, in a way, people kind of don't think of it like medication that is just like any other medication - some people cannot take it. But I guess that's kind of like this whole thread, and all others like it - our menstrual cycles vary wildly and we can't expect that someone else's experience is the same as ours.

And you gotta love the smooshed-face lion!
  • veganbaum
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

I'd imagine it's not something people talked about in the 50s out of taboo.

I'm not just talking about the past 100 years. Just in human history in general. Were they always like that, but women were "allowed" (or forced) to separate (not the best word, but I'm tired over here) themselves during that time? Or have they become worse? I dunno.