The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    That seriously doesn't look real...jealous.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    How fresh does THAT air smell??
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    So I just had a guy check in and he made a slightly snarky comment about how "I'm tryin' to slow down and I'm getting energized by you being so awake." I was like "Well, this is my morning soooo...." This isn't the first time someone has made a comment like that. I'm by NO MEANS a chipper person but I do move fast. I'm confused though...just because you're tired and it is the end of the day for you, I'm supposed to be in the same mood/state of mind? Huh...probably another thing only thirdshifters encounter...

I like it when I get off in the mornings, go to a restaurant or bar that opens early, like at 9 or 10AM and starting laying back the alcohol. The whispers and stares from other people.

Our favorite Mexican joint serves whatever food whenever so it will be 9 A.M. and I'm over there drinking a margarita and eating a torta while everyone is sipping on coffee over chilaquiles.

This is MY kinda place right here. :grin:

Also...I totally had Whataburger tonight. SSP is trying to make up for a boo-boo that I don't think I'm going to let him come back from. I think it's run it's course and I'm going to use part of my tax refund to buy an expensive new toy for myself. :mrgreen:
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    These poor folks. They have been trying to nurse this poor thing and turns out the kidneys are gone. 4 AM and they are needing to put it down. A long night for them isn't going to get any shorter. I feel bad for them.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    That sucks @sufferlandrian
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have a really good recipe for a simple chocolate cake, and another for a whipped frosting made with sugar and butter...just...hnnnggg. The last time I made it I added Nutella to the frosting to make it chocolate...omigosh...

Now I want one.

Mom decided she didn't want cake so no cake here

Believe it or not I have never had Nutella..
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Anyone else jump on the coloring bandwagon? We have at our 911 center and we love it. qgudor7dmwcq.jpeg
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @bethanie0825 I HAVE coloring books but I never bring them to work. Maybe I should consider it....

I totally believe that you've never had Nutella @belimawr. I didn't have it for a looong time and then I only had it twice before deciding it was "meh" for me.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have some books... But hospitals are too Germy for me to bring anything from home.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I can't colour & drive at the same time (sort of like texting - against the law, lol). Although every Tuesday night from 5-7 pm there is an adults colouring night at the Library near my base office. I could go there first.... I've always loved colouring but it has to be extremely detailed - I get bored with largish expanses of unbroken colour.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I had a coloring app on my phone for a while that was pretty fun, but I deleted it in an effort to spend less time looking at my phone.

In other news, I just had quite an adventure, because I kicked the front desk breaker by trying to run 2 space heaters on the same breaker. In my defense, it 13F...but it's fixed now!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    We're sitting at -4! Brr.
  • BodyByBex
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius You get ipsy bags...would you say it would be worth it to someone who really isn't into make-up but would like to get more into make-up?
    It looks like, from your ipsy videos and beauty trash videos, you seem to get a fair amount of good quality stuff to experiment with.
    I'm in a fairly 'masculine' profession and it is likely that I will stay in a similar area, and as I've recently cut all of my hair off, I'm looking to 'feminize' myself a bit more and Make-up seems a decent way to do that as long as I can keep it fairly 'professional'.
    To actually quote the policy: "Exaggerated or faddish cosmetic styles are inappropriate with the uniform and
    will not be worn. Lipstick and nail polish may be worn with all uniforms as long as
    the color is conservative and complements the uniform."
    From what I've seen through video conferences, outside of your hair, what you do with your face is fairly on par with what is accepted. I spoke with SSP and Sergeant Young and as long as I'm not walking around with bright blue eye shadow up to my eyebrows I SHOULD be okay. :laugh:
    Any pro(in my eyes you're a pro) tips would be appreciated. :grin:

Side note: I have worn blue eye liner and everyone was fine with that.

Also, @bethanie0825 and anyone else who works in law enforcement, any tips from ya'll would be great too. :smile:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Sooo....Sunday our breakfast person called off. Every time the breakfast person calls off, breakfast is very poorly done. I let the head housekeeer know (technically it is her job if someone calls off) and when she comes in I hear her say she isn't doing it and that the 1st shift desk person should do it. (Which to me, if the breakfast person calls off, both should be responsible for making sure it gets done properly.) Instead of texting my boss pictures of the aftermath (which never does a damn thing anyway) I text him and let him know we don't have a breakfast person and that since I was setting up Monday, I'd appreicate knowing ahead of time that it would be taken care of. He texts me and says he called 1st shift and they said they'd make sure it was done.

No suprise...it is dirty and unstocked. What the actual fudge? What a coward. My boss is such an effin' coward that he can't EVER say reprimand anyone. Unbelievable. People know they can do or not do whatever they want and there will be no repercussions...

So I go online to look at jobs and I feel so fudgin' stuck. The jobs available either require far more education or experience than I have or if I do have the qualifications they require...the pay is so low. So disheartening...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius You get ipsy bags...would you say it would be worth it to someone who really isn't into make-up but would like to get more into make-up?
    It looks like, from your ipsy videos and beauty trash videos, you seem to get a fair amount of good quality stuff to experiment with.
    I'm in a fairly 'masculine' profession and it is likely that I will stay in a similar area, and as I've recently cut all of my hair off, I'm looking to 'feminize' myself a bit more and Make-up seems a decent way to do that as long as I can keep it fairly 'professional'.
    To actually quote the policy: "Exaggerated or faddish cosmetic styles are inappropriate with the uniform and
    will not be worn. Lipstick and nail polish may be worn with all uniforms as long as
    From what I've seen through video conferences, outside of your hair, what you do with your face is fairly on par with what is accepted. I spoke with SSP and Sergeant Young and as long as I'm not walking around with bright blue eye shadow up to my eyebrows I SHOULD be okay. :laugh:

Also, @bethanie0825 and anyone else who works in law enforcement, any tips from ya'll would be great too. :smile:

I'd say ipsy is great for that. It is only $10 a month and you typically get 5 products. ipsy is great for newbies because you don't know what you like yet so you get to try all kinds of stuff and learn what you like. It is great for people like me too because I tend to know what I like and what works for me and not branch out so it forces me to try things I normally wouldn't. You don't get to pick anything though...you take a survey that suggests what you like but that doesn't really mean a lot...people complain because they don't get what they want...it isn't about that! It is about being suprised with something!

My makeup really isn't too extreme...it appears a bit more costume-y when you add the hair and the piercings and the outfits and the tattoos. The bright lipstick and strong brow are a bit bolder than the average but if I looked "normal" besides my makeup (like had a wig on, non pinup clothes, piercing taken out)...even those would look relatively "normal"...definitely not faddish or exaggerated...if anything, super classic looking. I think they mean like gothed out eyeliner or green lipstick...a strong brow and red lip is exagerrated too but I think as long as what you are doing enhances what you already have...that is what they mean. I rarely wear a non-neutral eyeshadow and never any crazy lip colors...I think that is what they are referring to.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Sooo....Sunday our breakfast person called off. Every time the breakfast person calls off, breakfast is very poorly done. I let the head housekeeer know (technically it is her job if someone calls off) and when she comes in I hear her say she isn't doing it and that the 1st shift desk person should do it. (Which to me, if the breakfast person calls off, both should be responsible for making sure it gets done properly.) Instead of texting my boss pictures of the aftermath (which never does a damn thing anyway) I text him and let him know we don't have a breakfast person and that since I was setting up Monday, I'd appreicate knowing ahead of time that it would be taken care of. He texts me and says he called 1st shift and they said they'd make sure it was done.

No suprise...it is dirty and unstocked. What the actual fudge? What a coward. My boss is such an effin' coward that he can't EVER say reprimand anyone. Unbelievable. People know they can do or not do whatever they want and there will be no repercussions...

So I go online to look at jobs and I feel so fudgin' stuck. The jobs available either require far more education or experience than I have or if I do have the qualifications they require...the pay is so low. So disheartening...

You can go there and ask for more money. That's how I got the position here. I told them EXACTLY what I was making at AMC and they said well we can offer you this salary, with these benefits, and if you really want to go back to school we have tuition reimbursement, and then I was sold. So they may be able to offer you other things to compensate or might be able to raise the salary. If not, you still have your current job until you find something else.
  • BodyByBex
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'd say ipsy is great for that. It is only $10 a month and you typically get 5 products. ipsy is great for newbies because you don't know what you like yet so you get to try all kinds of stuff and learn what you like. It is great for people like me too because I tend to know what I like and what works for me and not branch out so it forces me to try things I normally wouldn't. You don't get to pick anything though...you take a survey that suggests what you like but that doesn't really mean a lot...people complain because they don't get what they want...it isn't about that! It is about being suprised with something!

My makeup really isn't too extreme...it appears a bit more costume-y when you add the hair and the piercings and the outfits and the tattoos. The bright lipstick and strong brow are a bit bolder than the average but if I looked "normal" besides my makeup (like had a wig on, non pinup clothes, piercing taken out)...even those would look relatively "normal"...definitely not faddish or exaggerated...if anything, super classic looking. I think they mean like gothed out eyeliner or green lipstick...a strong brow and red lip is exagerrated too but I think as long as what you are doing enhances what you already have...that is what they mean. I rarely wear a non-neutral eyeshadow and never any crazy lip colors...I think that is what they are referring to.

SSP recalls a sergeant having to reprimand a dispatcher for having green hair and wearing bright pink cream eye shadow up to her eyebrows and yellow lipstick.

Her response was "It ain't my fault these b*tches don't like to get their hair did and come in looking 'right' to work."

She didn't understand that working where we do and doing what we do(maintaining public safety and all that) we need to look approachable and professional.

Your look, even with your gorgeous crazy hair, is still very approachable.
    Granted, I can't have crazy hair(I wish I could though), but I think your look, or something similar, would be totally fine. Something that might NOT work would be... this:

15glnv62x5y7.jpg

or this:

661o5b4jezsy.jpg

We don't live in Panem and this isn't The Capitol. Just sayin....
    ETA: Outside of work though, everyone can do their own thing.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I'm very grateful that I have this job but that is part of the problem. I doesn't make me very motivated to want to leave because it is so secure...but I'm just wasting away here...

Unfortunately in low-level customer service work...they aren't into negotiating your salary. There are a million other schmucks with zero skills who can do the same jobs for minimum wage and a lot of people are right there to take your place for less money...

I'll just do as I normally do. Stew about for awhile then accept that this is the life I have and continue going through the motions...it is what it is...I guess I just needed an outlet for a second.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    It is a very approachable look, unfortunately! People assume I'll be all bubbly and fun and then they try to talk to me and I'm like a socially inept weirdo who tries to shut the convo down immediately. Confusing, I know...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Her reaction is exactly how my reaction is...outside of work. Granted, I do look like this at work (except for the uniform) but my job isn't the same. My job is to seem inviting and receptive and in all of the years I've looked like this in jobs like this, I've gotten nothing but compliments about my professionalism, etc but in a job like that....I understand the need to look "normal".

I also couldn't help but picture her as Glozell (from YouTube? anyone?). Glozell has brown hair and wears green lipstick but still...that sounds like something she'd say and I totally pictured her saying it in my head!