Husband keeping junk in house

Options

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My only comment is from another perspective. When people feel unsupported by loved ones, we often tend to use that as validation for an unhealthy way of thinking - like, if they dont take (me, my plan, wanting to be healthier, improve my looks, etc) seriously, why should I? and then we can give up and spiral into an nasty set back. This issue, combined with your description of your eating plan which looks REALLY dull and probably unsustainable in the long run, can pose a serious threat to your resolve to eat better. Everything else has already been said by other commenters, who seem to have been very successful in reaching their goals and therefore, have a lot of credibility.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    My husband keeps cardboard boxes

Empty boxes ...not flattened, not filled...just boxes..like there will be a great box shortage and he will be able to go "aha"

I will swap you for one who just keeps food

So how many box forts or mazes has he built?
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Practice self-control over spouse-control.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    First your husband is not on the diet you are. Second I can relate. My husband eats whatever he wants never gains weight. Chips, huge bowels of cereal at night, take out, chocolate bars awful stuff for you or I. I don't mind when he gets take out and brings it home I can handle that. I can handle him eating chips in front of me most times. It is when he is not home the temptation is there. We made a locked yes locked snack cupboard it is where all of those yummy things live. If I am in a bingy mood I lock it he has the key. I will dip into it once and awhile but try to do it in moderation (I still need to get better at this). I am not sure if this is the answer. But like you use to think SCREW YOU bringing that in here but I realized it is my diet not his and we both live there.
  • LolaPlant
    LolaPlant Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @mattyc772014 *LOL* Thank you for sharing. At least it's YOUR stuff she likes. That's a good thing. ;)
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wouldn't it be nice if our SO's eating lined up with ours? Too bad it mostly doesn't work like that.

My spouse is male, 6 years younger than me, and 7 inches taller. He can eat a lot more, just the way it goes. So, yes, there is calorie dense food around.

About a week ago he commented on my butt looking better, but then yesterday he was all "when are you going to be done with this diet thing?" because he wants me to go indulge with him at a food festival this coming weekend, as in an event where all you do is eat high calorie food. Um, sorry, not right now dear.

I think that is called wanting to have your cake and eat it too.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Well, I would never go on a restrictive diet - it's possible to be very healthy without giving up all so - called junk food; eat in moderation and enjoy.

If there are things you choose to give up, it's totally fair for those around you to not do the same. I would never in a million years subsist on just fruit, veggies, and chicken, and I think you're asking too much if you expect that of your husband. Frankly I think you're asking too much of yourself as well - there are plenty of ways to eat healthy and still enjoy all the foods you like in moderation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    He has his shelf; I have my shelf. Sometimes we share. Communication always smooths things along in a marriage and prevents misunderstandings.

I think this gadget is cool.

http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/gear/gadgets/the-kitchen-safe-time-lock-vice-guard.asp
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    He has his shelf; I have my shelf. Sometimes we share. Communication always smooths things along in a marriage and prevents misunderstandings.

I think this gadget is cool.

http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/gear/gadgets/the-kitchen-safe-time-lock-vice-guard.asp

That's amazing! I wonder if it'd work in the freezer (ice cream). Will have to go read reviews sometime
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Empty boxes ...not flattened, not filled...just boxes..like there will be a great box shortage and he will be able to go "aha"

So how many box forts or mazes has he built?

That I would buy into :)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    bwaits07 wrote: »
    I am on day 12 of my healthy eating streak. No sodas, no fast food, no fried foods. Only eating veggies, fruit, and chicken while only drinking water. It's so hard when my husband brings home these junk foods and makes me feel like caving into eating these foods he brings home. I try encouraging him to eat healthy with me but he just won't budge. So far I have been doing good about avoiding and ignoring this but some days are just harder than others. It's hard when your the only one in the house trying to eat right.

I always keep my junk in the house. It's too damn cold to leave it outside, and I'm kind of attached to it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with this for 17 years. It's not so bad once you decide to do your thing and ignore his junk food.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Get rid of all the junk and maybe the husband.

You'd get rid of your husband for having food in the house?
  • bellkat31
    bellkat31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A craft room works great to avoid people when they want to eat junk. Totally will take your mind off bad food and the eating out of boredom syndrome.
  • kami3006
    Options
    bwaits07 wrote: »
    I am on day 12 of my healthy eating streak. No sodas, no fast food, no fried foods. Only eating veggies, fruit, and chicken while only drinking water. It's so hard when my husband brings home these junk foods and makes me feel like caving into eating these foods he brings home. I try encouraging him to eat healthy with me but he just won't budge. So far I have been doing good about avoiding and ignoring this but some days are just harder than others. It's hard when your the only one in the house trying to eat right.

I always keep my junk in the house. It's too damn cold to leave it outside, and I'm kind of attached to it.

;)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This made me laugh because when I first read the thread title this is the kind of "junk" I was picturing.

Also in my house I'm the box hoarder. You just never know when you'll need one! :laugh:
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options

LOL my husband keeps broken down cardboard boxes AND boxes to everything we buy. I have kindle boxes, laptop boxes, xbox boxes, wii u boxes and tv boxes hidden in every closet in our apartment. He is a box hoarder!
  • kami3006
    edited January 2016
    Options

This made me laugh because when I first read the thread title this is the kind of "junk" I was picturing.

Also in my house I'm the box hoarder. You just never know when you'll need one! :laugh:

My grandfather drove home the idea that you can never have enough: boxes, plastic, duct tape, and rope. My whole family is ready for armageddon.

ETA: Armageddon and moving
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    We have compromised. I have a list of a few foods that I would prefer he not bring home and he doesn't. My part is that I will bake something yummy every couple of weeks. He still has his high calorie snacks but nothing that drives me crazy. The list of foods I won't control myself over is getting shorter which helps.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Stop blaming your husband for your poor choices. Unless he is physically holding you down, shoving the food down your throat, he is not making you do anything!