Husband keeping junk in house

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    If somebody tried to make me eat only vegetables, fruit and chicken, I sure as heck be bringing home all kinds of other foods too! I encourage my boyfriend to eat healthy by preparing all different kinds of meats and pastas, eggs and bacon and pancakes on the weekend, and I keep reasonable amounts of treats that I know he likes in stock. Guess what? He's lost 25 pounds since September.
  • dennisnguyen
    dennisnguyen Posts: 28 Member
    My wife never really liked food that is considered "diet food". When we first met, I think she got the wrong impression of what diet food is. She would see me snacking on nuts and ordering restaurant food without butter/sauces/salt/etc. There was a month of vacation that I took to spend time with my family. During this time, I introduced her to my definition of what diet food is. I was making things like burgers, pizza, steaks, pasta, etc, but my wife didn't really notice that everything I made was diet food. Although I made things like burgers, I would use ingredients to make them more diet friendly such as using leaner meats. My wife lost several pounds during this month and was happy to see the scale go down. Unfortunately, when my vacation was over, her pounds slowly started coming back. When I'm at work, I'm able to stick to my diet, but I can't make meals for her during the day. The only time I can make her a meal is for dinner.

In my case, showing my wife what I meant by diet food made her more willing to adopt my eating habits. What made things even easier is that my kids also liked my version of diet food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    My husband keeps cardboard boxes

Empty boxes ...not flattened, not filled...just boxes..like there will be a great box shortage and he will be able to go "aha"

I will swap you for one who just keeps food

This made me laugh because when I first read the thread title this is the kind of "junk" I was picturing.

Also in my house I'm the box hoarder. You just never know when you'll need one! :laugh:

ONE box! No need to keep multiples of the same size :p

My mother and my fiance's mother are the box hoarders. I'll start collecting in November, and when Christmas mailing is over, go back to keep two of two different sizes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I'm a box hoarder. It's something I'm working on!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member

Empty boxes ...not flattened, not filled...just boxes..like there will be a great box shortage and he will be able to go "aha"

LOL my husband keeps broken down cardboard boxes AND boxes to everything we buy. I have kindle boxes, laptop boxes, xbox boxes, wii u boxes and tv boxes hidden in every closet in our apartment. He is a box hoarder!

my ex was. till one day i had enough and threw them all out.

he never noticed.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    My husband is a grown adult and can have what he likes in *our* house. It is up to me to decide whether or not I'm going to eat it. Sometimes I make it fit my calories, sometimes I don't eat it, sometimes I say "stuff it" and eat it even if it doesn't fit my calories, but that's all on me. But my 'diet' is also varied, tasty and interesting - I'm sorry but a diet of fruit, veg and chicken sounds miserable. I'd be grabbing every passing bit of food I could.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I agree with the folks who say your "healthy" diet is waaaaay too restrictive, OP. Live a little - you can fit in treats and favorite foods.

As far as your husband goes, I don't know what to tell you. Out of sight, out of mind might work - so find him a shelf that you don't frequent.

Re: boxes - are we talking gift boxes or moving boxes? Because one can never have too many gift boxes.
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    I dont know what you consider junkfood? chocolatebars and chips etc. or all types of take away dinners? Maybe you have time and energy to invest in studying a few new recipes and do what I do (since I have a 12 year old son who sports and eats like a caveman): buy lots of vegetables and fresh fruits and prepare in the weekend a few fresh sauces and soups and freeze over fresh pineapple etc. and make two ovendishes with lasagna: one for him with bolognese sauce and loads of cream and grated cheese and for you a scoop of the bolognese sauce with extra added tomatoes and no cream and light cheese. etc. etc. It safes a lot of money for take away food, it saves a lot of energy and time during the week and you eat more variety. In the end your dining will be calmer and stress free for you and he will still gets his stomach filled. Also I would explain over a nice dinner that you are investing not only in your health, but in being an attractive wife. Ask kindly if hes willing to support you. In the end you are a couple. You dont want him to diet with you, but that doesnt mean he cant be a little supportive. Good luck!
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    When I have junkfood in the house, I pick the thing that I want the most and I work it into my calorie allotment.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Why does he have to change just because you decided you both should. Do your own thing and let him do his own.

You never know, you might inspire him sometime in the future.

When I told my husband I was going to start lifting weights, he was dead against it. However, 3 years down the line I'm still lifting and he's started too!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited January 2016
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    He has his shelf; I have my shelf. Sometimes we share. Communication always smooths things along in a marriage and prevents misunderstandings.

I think this gadget is cool.

http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/gear/gadgets/the-kitchen-safe-time-lock-vice-guard.asp

That's amazing! I wonder if it'd work in the freezer (ice cream). Will have to go read reviews sometime

Created new topic to discuss kitchen safe!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10321949/the-kitchen-safe-time-lock-for-treats-and-other-goodies?new=1
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Get rid of all the junk and maybe the husband.

Omg. Over food? Why do people even bother getting married? :laugh:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Why do people even bother getting married? :laugh:

ive said that for years ;)

LOLLOL
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Having willpower is a blessing. I can watch other people around me eating crap and I don't feel like giving in. My mind is fully locked in to losing weight. I think of how horrible I would feel if I ate piece of pie or cookies and the setback it would cause.
    Perhaps he could eat junk out of your sight and eat healthy when hes home
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    JoJean12 wrote: »
    Having willpower is a blessing. I can watch other people around me eating crap and I don't feel like giving in. My mind is fully locked in to losing weight. I think of how horrible I would feel if I ate piece of pie or cookies and the setback it would cause.

i think of how sad i would be if i never ate pie or cookies.....

you can still at them, you know ;)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member

You never know when you need a good box. Thanks for reminding me to throw out mine :) New shipment coming soon.
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    JoJean12 wrote: »

i think of how sad i would be if i never ate pie or cookies.....

you can still at them, you know ;)

Not me. One piece of pie leads to two or 3. One cookie leads to 6 or 7.
    I have learned that for me, junk food is an addiction and I'm better off not touching it all all. It only reminds me of how I got so fat.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    We always have some biscuits, chocs etc in the house.
    I have a husband who is a perfect weight and able to eat all the high cal food he likes because he has an extremely active job which allows him to maintain, I also have two energetic little ones that are not overweight and do enjoy a snack after school. I also have a skinny mum ( who works hard to look that good ) and my dad too has lost a lot of weight after his type 2 diagnosis
    I however do have to watch what I eat, ( especially if I don't want to end up diabetic) but I can't live without the fun things forever so I fit in what works into my cal goal and don't feel deprived when they are all enjoying a little something
  • zinaramos3
    zinaramos3 Posts: 11 Member
    I understand. I my husband and daughter are pretty fit and love to eat! The cravings hit harder when they are eating Oreos and Milk or Doritos. They support me and love the fact that I am working on myself. But I am the one that needs to change my habits and I am the one that needs to lose weight. I don't think that they should change for me. I need to change for me. Think about how bad you want it. I don't want to be mean but this is not your husband's problem, he didn't make the choice to lose weight you did. Explain to him how much you need his support but don't ask him to change his habits for you.

I have found that I can have some Doritos and some Oreos and Milk, but before I start to stuff my face, I pull out my MFP app and see how many calories it has and eat accordingly. Or I find an alternative, instead of Oreos I eat and apple or half of a Chocolate Protein Bar.

Best of luck.
  • mccoyt85
    mccoyt85 Posts: 9 Member
    My husband has not been supportive. Weight is not an issue with him. In this house he has almost always done the shopping and cooking. Therefore I have no control. I'm only 2 weeks in and have been able to avoid the crap he has brought in so far. Today as I watched him fixing our Sunday meal my mind was whirling thinking of all the fat that was in it. I ate a really small portion but am honestly still hungry. I also realized I have to take back control. I hate to cook, I don't really like to eat. But my health is at stake here. He'll eat whatever I fix. Can I keep the crap out of the house? Probably not. After almost 32 years I've learned we each change what we are willing to change and we have learned to accept the things we aren't. Temptation will always be there. Think of it as just a test. Hopefully you can come to an understanding you can both live with.