"Making a Murderer" on Netflix

Options

Replies

• ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My thought is... in order to convict someone, he needs to be, without-a-doubt, guilty. There were many doubts, so I have no clue how he was convicted. That Colburn fella... got on my damn NERVES.
  • Fit4LifeGal79
    Fit4LifeGal79 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Based on what I saw in the documentary I don't see how any jury would convict him. Then I feel like there has to be a whole other part of this case that is missing from the documentary. A lot of people involved in this case looked real shady.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It's a documentary. Well done as it is having it's intended effect. That said it leaves out lots of information pertinent to the case. Do I think he had a fair trial....no. Do I think he murdered the photographer....yes. Brendan Dassey's confession is portrayed way different than the full transcript. Do yourself a favor and read the full confession...it's on reddit.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    He's as guilty of the murder of that poor woman as the day is long.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    From an entertainment standpoint, I was underwhelmed by the entire thing. People are making such a huge deal out of it, so I think I was expecting too much. I get why it's interesting, but it's not not worth the hype. As if this kind of thing has never happened to someone before.

Honestly, as soon as they revealed that Steven threw a cat over a fire when he was younger, that was all I needed to know about him. Dude ain't right...but that doesn't mean he shouldn't get a fair trial. I don't know about freeing the dude, which is what a lot of people want to see happen. I'm not entirely convinced he didn't do it, but he should at least get a retrial.

The whole thing with Brendan was just odd. That boy's got some problems, but he doesn't deserve to be in prison just because he's missing some brain cells and has the personality of a wet mop.

All in all, I'd much rather watch Orange is the New Black.
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Here is my issue with this.... This entire documentary series was made to lean towards the innocence of Steven Avery. The trial lasted 6 weeks, 5 days a week. So that's about 240 hours worth of evidence, that was condensed down to what? like 3 or 4 hours of total trial coverage? My thinking isn't whether or not Avery is innocent,but whether the state proved it. I think with what evidence we saw, it clearly raises doubt. I don't think the police killed Halbech, and framed Avery. I truly think they think he was guilty, and they may have framed him, to make sure he was prosecuted for it. I could go on for hours, but I digress.
  • tonileigh820
    tonileigh820 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    the documentary is basically one sided, favoring Steven Avery, because the prosecution/state didn't want to be a part of the documentary.

I have been sort of following this case for years but after watching the show I was truly sickened! I don't know if I believe 100% Avery is innocent, but the state didn't prove beyond doubt that he was guilty (even with their planted evidence) so he should be free right now.

I think the police found her car somewhere with her dead body inside, knew she was scheduled to be at the averys before her disappearance, so they brought her car to the lot and planted whatever evidence they could to make sure STEVEN was the one blamed, basically to save their own *kitten* (and money).

• tonileigh820
    Options
    My thought is... in order to convict someone, he needs to be, without-a-doubt, guilty. There were many doubts, so I have no clue how he was convicted. That Colburn fella... got on my damn NERVES.

I couldn't stand him either! or that kratz! just his voice made me wanna rip my ears off
  • kchuskey
    Options
    the documentary is basically one sided, favoring Steven Avery, because the prosecution/state didn't want to be a part of the documentary.

I have been sort of following this case for years but after watching the show I was truly sickened! I don't know if I believe 100% Avery is innocent, but the state didn't prove beyond doubt that he was guilty (even with their planted evidence) so he should be free right now.

I think the police found her car somewhere with her dead body inside, knew she was scheduled to be at the averys before her disappearance, so they brought her car to the lot and planted whatever evidence they could to make sure STEVEN was the one blamed, basically to save their own *kitten* (and money).

We should have an office somewhere together. :)
  • tonileigh820
    Options
    kchuskey wrote: »

hell yeah! I just looked back and read what you had to say! I could go on and on and on about this
  • brillmer87
    brillmer87 Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    it is soooooooooooo unbelievably frustrating to watch. sad sad sad story. REASONABLE DOUBT
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    brillmer87 wrote: »
    it is soooooooooooo unbelievably frustrating to watch. sad sad sad story. REASONABLE DOUBT

Exactly this!! So much doubt! That alone is a total miscarriage of justice!
  • kchuskey
    Options

hell yeah! I just looked back and read what you had to say! I could go on and on and on about this

I know right!? Did you see the interview on HLN with Jody? His ex-girlfriend, that is now saying he did it?
  • Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just finished the 4th episode. It's actually kinda blowing my mind. I love a good documentary and this one has me hooked.
    I dunno if I necessarily believe Avery BUT there is just way too many questions and things left unclear for a conviction. We have a reasonable doubt rule for a reason. If a person is not 110% of a persons guilt, how can you pass a verdict? It's crazy to think this could happen to anyone. And, BTW, if he didn't do it, there's a killer out there running rampant just as in the first Avery case!
  • PLTNM_INC
    PLTNM_INC Posts: 199 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Received a friend request from a kkratz, wondering do I accept or not?? lol
  • tonileigh820
    Options

I know right!? Did you see the interview on HLN with Jody? His ex-girlfriend, that is now saying he did it?

yes! I don't know what to think about her tho...claims she feared for her life to tell the truth back then...but he's in prison...if he did it and you knew it, he would be locked away forever so what exactly were you scared of?
  • kchuskey
    Options

yes! I don't know what to think about her tho...claims she feared for her life to tell the truth back then...but he's in prison...if he did it and you knew it, he would be locked away forever so what exactly were you scared of?

I think she is just jealous of his new woman! But I do believe he isn't as pure, as he'd like everyone to believe.
  • BeetChew
    BeetChew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    People want a pardon for this guy?!
    Not the case reopened.
    Not the police and prosecutor investigated.
    A pardon.

He's clearly a pretty horrible person at best. Even if he is innocent (not likely) I'm failing to lose sleep over it.
    There are plenty of better people and causes who need attention.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I watched the first 5 episodes a few weeks ago because everyone was raving about it so much. I found it pretty slow and boring and couldn't pay attention enough to stick with it. I felt like they could have condensed it into a few hours.

There was a lot of stuff left out of the documentary which makes me have little doubt that he did it, but I still think the sheriff's office and DA were shady as hell and probably screwed with or planted evidence. I'm not sure whether or not he should have been convicted (separate from whether he was guilty) because I didn't follow closely enough to see what was and was not allowed in at trial. The situation is crazy, the first trial and his incarceration were horrible, and everyone involved on the state/DA side seems pretty horrible. But, I still don't sympathize much with Avery and can't imagine he didn't do it.
  • tonileigh820
    Options

I think she is just jealous of his new woman! But I do believe he isn't as pure, as he'd like everyone to believe.

ooh good point. I didn't even think about his new (elderly lol) girlfriend! and yeah, he is definitely not some saint and I'm still not sure I think he's innocent...but I don't think it happened how the state claims either