Bulletproof coffee

Options

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Well in all fairness, the calories we don't eat won't do any harm.

I've still never tried the "true" versions of BPC, even though I know it would have zero extra magic involved other than taste. But I do have very lean eating days where I'm low on fats and have plenty of calories left to eat. I'm not sure I'd like the oil, but some cocoa or the right coffee with plenty of thick cream would make it easy to balance out those lean days.

I usually prefer to eat my calories, but on days that I don't want to eat that much liquid calories are a good thing.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    3AAnn3 wrote: »
    I liked it when I was on keto. With MCT oil. You really don't store the fat from MCT the same way as you do other fats. It cleans you out really well, and does help with energy. body builders use it for quick energy.

I'm pretty sure that's a myth. An excess of calories in any form will result in weight gain.

You can believe what you want. I'm not saying you can down a whole bottle. I've never consumed more than 2 tbsp a day. Super quick energy. And it cleans you out.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa23.htm
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I liked it when I was on keto. With MCT oil. You really don't store the fat from MCT the same way as you do other fats. It cleans you out really well, and does help with energy. body builders use it for quick energy.

I'm pretty sure that's a myth. An excess of calories in any form will result in weight gain.

You can believe what you want. I'm not saying you can down a whole bottle. I've never consumed more than 2 tbsp a day. Super quick energy. And it cleans you out.

Calories are calories. Unless you somehow find something that doesn't get absorbed by the body properly, too much of any type of calories can make you gain weight. Energy balance has a lot of little factors, but there is no magic pill in any form.

The link you supplied is selling it. They don't want to admit that it's just another type of food, as you can buy regular food just about anywhere.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Lol ! Love it!

I'd rather drink water from a puddle then drink bullet proof coffee and I would definitely prefer to eat 500 calories of food Rather then slimy oil slick coffee .
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

If you are in a surplus you will store fat that's not a belief, it's hard science
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You only got half the story. This is a low carb/Keto thing. When you are eating very low carb, your body is in Ketosis and burns fat instead of carbs. So this drink for a low carber does fill them up and would be a part of the normal fat burning process one in ketosis goes through.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You only got half the story. This is a low carb/Keto thing. When you are eating very low carb, your body is in Ketosis and burns fat instead of carbs. So this drink for a low carber does fill them up and would be a part of the normal fat burning process one in ketosis goes through.

just like any other calorie deficit driven way of eating….

and eating high fat is not necessary for anything.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Ketosis does not negate thermodynamics. If you're in a caloric surplus, there is net fat storage.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Lol ! Love it!

I'd rather drink water from a puddle then drink bullet proof coffee and I would definitely prefer to eat 500 calories of food Rather then slimy oil slick coffee .

Move the butter far, far away.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Calories are calories. Unless you somehow find something that doesn't get absorbed by the body properly, too much of any type of calories can make you gain weight. Energy balance has a lot of little factors, but there is no magic pill in any form.

The link you supplied is selling it. They don't want to admit that it's just another type of food, as you can buy regular food just about anywhere.
    ndj1979 wrote: »

If you are in a surplus you will store fat that's not a belief, it's hard science

Robert, Where was bodybuilding selling MCT?
    NDJ, Yes, but I didn't say a person could lose weight in a surplus, just that MCT is less likely to be stored as fat.

"MCT has a smaller molecular structure and is more soluble in water. Therefore, it is easier for your body to absorb and does not require this complicated digestive process. Whereas conventional fats are prone to being stored as body fat, MCT is transported directly from the small intestine to the liver by the portal vein. In the liver, some of the MCTs are turned into ketone bodies, which the muscles can use for energy. Some MCT's are used for thermogenesis, and a portion is converted to ATP, the energy currency of the cell. MCT, therefore is processed in the liver, so there is little left to be stored as fat."
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Robert, Where was bodybuilding selling MCT?
    NDJ, Yes, but I didn't say a person could lose weight in a surplus, just that MCT is less likely to be stored as fat.

"MCT has a smaller molecular structure and is more soluble in water. Therefore, it is easier for your body to absorb and does not require this complicated digestive process. Whereas conventional fats are prone to being stored as body fat, MCT is transported directly from the small intestine to the liver by the portal vein. In the liver, some of the MCTs are turned into ketone bodies, which the muscles can use for energy. Some MCT's are used for thermogenesis, and a portion is converted to ATP, the energy currency of the cell. MCT, therefore is processed in the liver, so there is little left to be stored as fat."

woo
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I drink it every morning as part of my Ketogenic diet, MCT's provide quick energy and the fats are very satisfying for me. I don't add quite the amount that you find if you search for the recipe online. My two 10 oz cups of coffee only have 1Tbs each of MCT oil and grass fed butter between them. It does need to be blended. If you just stir the fat in, the oil just floats on top.
    This is what it looks like.
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg
    There's actually nothing greasy about it at all.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a vegetarian alternative to cream in the coffee, a time-honored morning ritual for millions.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Love a bulletproof coffee in the morning, yes I´m one of the weirdos following a keto diet!
  • scfarrant
    scfarrant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's been reported that bulletpoint coffee is a sure-fire quick method towards high cholesterol and heart disease. Many health-related charities have been actively discouraging it recently.

http://authoritynutrition.com/3-reasons-why-bulletproof-coffee-is-a-bad-idea/

It also sounds absolutely disgusting! :-/
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I drink it every morning as part of my Ketogenic diet, MCT's provide quick energy and the fats are very satisfying for me. I don't add quite the amount that you find if you search for the recipe online. My two 10 oz cups of coffee only have 1Tbs each of MCT oil and grass fed butter between them. It does need to be blended. If you just stir the fat in, the oil just floats on top.
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

again, totally unnecessary to be injesting that amount of fat.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist friend has been putting butter in coffee for YEARS! She also can't figure out why she has gained weight...
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    scfarrant wrote: »
    It's been reported that bulletpoint coffee is a sure-fire quick method towards high cholesterol and heart disease. Many health-related charities have been actively discouraging it recently.

http://authoritynutrition.com/3-reasons-why-bulletproof-coffee-is-a-bad-idea/

It also sounds absolutely disgusting! :-/

All bulletproof coffee is made different, mine is 122 calories a cup, has 10g butter and 5g coconut oil and certainly not 422 calories or whatever he said.

That said I would rather spend the calories on that than ice cream, chocolate and cake.

Not having any nutrition in there makes it bad is a load of rubbish, you can easily get the nutrients in your next meals. I never used to eat breakfast at all, I just don´t like eating in the morning, at least this way I am getting some decent fat.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

I was seeking your advice
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

That is just your personal judgement, and not a fact. For someone on a low carb high fat diet, fats need to be increased or calories are ridiculously low.