Bulletproof coffee

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I drink it every morning as part of my Ketogenic diet, MCT's provide quick energy and the fats are very satisfying for me. I don't add quite the amount that you find if you search for the recipe online. My two 10 oz cups of coffee only have 1Tbs each of MCT oil and grass fed butter between them. It does need to be blended. If you just stir the fat in, the oil just floats on top.
    This is what it looks like.
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg
    There's actually nothing greasy about it at all.

again, totally unnecessary to be injesting that amount of fat.

That is just your personal judgement, and not a fact. For someone on a low carb high fat diet, fats need to be increased or calories are ridiculously low.

not a judgement, a fact. Fat minimums should be .45 grams per pound of body weight, anything over that is not necessary.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I drink it every morning as part of my Ketogenic diet, MCT's provide quick energy and the fats are very satisfying for me. I don't add quite the amount that you find if you search for the recipe online. My two 10 oz cups of coffee only have 1Tbs each of MCT oil and grass fed butter between them. It does need to be blended. If you just stir the fat in, the oil just floats on top.
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

That is just your personal judgement, and not a fact. For someone on a low carb high fat diet, fats need to be increased or calories are ridiculously low.

not a judgement, a fact. Fat minimums should be .45 grams per pound of body weight, anything over that is not necessary.

It's a fact for a low fat diet only.
    Only.
    If I ate that much fat, I'd never get enough calories. Is that what you're recommending?
    I limit carbs for my own reasons which are not up for debate. My health is better than it's ever been.
    I don't know why you would be advising me to reduce fat. That's really terrible advice for the way I eat.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

It's a fact for a low fat diet only.
    Only.
    If I ate that much fat, I'd never get enough calories. Is that what you're recommending?
    I limit carbs for my own reasons which are not up for debate. My health is better than it's ever been.
    I don't know why you would be advising me to reduce fat. That's really terrible advice for the way I eat.

i was not replying to you so not sure what you are talking about.

my point is that fat is a minimum and there is no reason to eat 50% above the recommended minimum; unless of course one has a medical condition to reduce or eliminate carbs.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

Guess I thought you were speaking to me when saying this.
    I had already said I eat a Ketogenic diet and you still advised that it was uneccessary to eat that much fat.
    Weather or not I have a medical reason to eat this way is irrelevant. I am able to choose it if I feel it's the most sustainable for me regardless of medical need.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

That's a minimum. The lowest amount of fat one should eat. I think the maximum is what you are probably meaning... I don't believe there is a maximum.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I drink it everyone once in a while. I tend not to get nearly enough fat. I generally just use coconut oil and no butter.

It isn't a magical solution to anything, but it is a way to increase fat without adding carbs.

If you emulsify the coconut oil with hot coffee in a blender, it tastes like having added dairy. It's not slick, oily or gross.

This. I blend a teaspoon of coconut oil and raw sugar with my coffee - in a blender (no oil slick) and it comes out like creamy, frothy, delicious heaven. It replaces weird non-dairy coffee creamer for me and I love it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

That's a minimum. The lowest amount of fat one should eat. I think the maximum is what you are probably meaning... I don't believe there is a maximum.

my point is it is totally unnecessary to exceed the minimum requirement.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

My point is that you directed that statement at me and I had already said that I eat a Ketogenic diet... So your advice would prove to be very very bad for me if I didn't understand my dietary needs for the way I eat.
    That advice is not one size fits all
  • nvmomketo
    edited January 2016
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

Unless you are hitting the minimum target exactly right on the nose, you will either be over or under the minimum requirement. I think going over would be the better move.

The minimum for me is 67.5 g of fat per day. I'm over that by 30-40 g per day. If I wasn't I wouldn't meet my caloric goal.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    /
  • Annabella402
    Annabella402 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I tried it - it was disgusting, just an oil slick. I prefer my coffee the usual way, with milk.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

Unless you are hitting the minimum target exactly right on the nose, you will either be over or under the minimum requirement. I think going over would be the better move.

The minimum for me is 67.5 g of fat per day. I'm over that by 30-40 g per day. If I wasn't I wouldn't meet my caloric goal.

which is your choice as you view carbs as bad which they are not.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I tried it - it was disgusting, just an oil slick. I prefer my coffee the usual way, with milk.

I get that revolting oil slick when I don't blend it properly
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    funny
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

Bad? LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

Bad? LOL

so your saying you don't?
  • nvmomketo
    edited January 2016
    Options
    r5fzbuh6frfd.jpg

Bad? LOL

so your saying you don't?

Bad? No. I don't think carbs are bad. I know higher levels of carbs (even moderate levels) are unhealthy for me. Too much protein is also not helpful for me to achieve good health. That leaves fat. Since fat is not bad either, I eat it and enjoy it.

YMMV
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What's with the argumentativeness, seriously!! :tired_face:

We all have different ways to easily reach our individual deficits. I personally wouldn't eat some of the "diets" people here eat, but I'm not going to pounce on them, give them the third degree or make them go through the Spanish inquisition to my satisfaction...

• WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Blend it people, blend!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    This sounds like a vegetarian alternative to cream in the coffee, a time-honored morning ritual for millions.

Pretty sure it's the claims made about what BPC will do for your health and your waistline and your performance that is at issue here.

Liking fatty coffee, or not, is neither relevant or even all that interesting. People do lots of things to coffee and food that I personally find to be disturbing and gross, and I'm sure the reverse is true. No one cares.

To quote the OP:
    Has anyone ever tried this? Adding butter and coconut oil to your coffee? They say it makes you feel full and burn fat ?? I'm very skeptical.