Why do you hate Dr. Oz?

Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    CharonCharon aka catscats222 ?? You change user names so often I can't keep up. I thought we were only allowed to change once.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you are exactly the kind of person that the Dr Oz show is targeting. Someone who is easily entertained, who is impressed by the "doctor credentials", who doesn't realize that the entire show is a sales pitch. The show provides enough common sense content to make viewers like you trust that all of the content has your best interest at heart, when in fact, most of it is either paid endorsements or a hook to.get you to visit a website,.where there are more paid advertisements...

Just out of curiosity, on his segment about lettuce today, did he happen to talk about ranch dressing?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    So much his shows had to offer on nutrients in food, heart health, blood pressure, cholesterol lowering habits/foods, he even explained intermitent exercise on the treadmil which I never heard of before him.
    So much he has offered in the past 2 years. I have not seen him push any supplements at all.

I am not sure if you are serious or just trolling.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz might say to sleep 7 hours, or walk 20 minutes, or eat veggies every day. Those things are not bad.

I hope one day to be judged on good things I "might" have said rather than stupid things I actually said.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    tcatcarson wrote: »
    Dr. Oz might say to sleep 7 hours, or walk 20 minutes, or eat veggies every day. Those things are not bad.

I hope one day to be judged on good things I "might" have said rather than stupid things I actually said.

M1nEp7h.gif
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I believe that Dr. Oz has made many people's life better. Not worse.
    And I hope in the future there are more shows that teach about health of your heart and nutrition for a long life. We need them. We cannot shoot this one down. Or there will never be anymore.
    Today, I believe he had a show about lettuce. This could remind people to go eat lettuce. He spoke about the vitamins, etc in it.

Granted some shows are stupid as heck. Especially when he has celebrities. I just walk away. I also disliked when he had that lady that can hear the dead (not sure why he does that).

You believe that deceit and using fame to convince people to buy what are at best useless products and concepts makes people's life better? I disagree. His own concessions counter your view but you refuse to see it.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I rather like the show. It's entertaining. It gives me ideas on what to eat. Recipes. It reminds me to be healthy. I learned things like I need more magnesium in my diet. Yoga poses.
    For real information I read books or trusted sites off the internet.
    I don't think Dr. Oz is really a quack. I think he really cares about people's health. Wish more shows like that would be on TV (they are needed).
    What did he do or say that made you not like him? If people criticize him too much, no more health shows will ever come in the future. A lot better than MSNBC.

Dr. Oz used to be a good source. Before Oprah made him famous, he was a successful, respected cardiologist. Shortly after Oprah made him famous, he was all about balanced, healthy eating and the eat less/move more model of weight loss.

Then he started accepting money from snake oil salesmen to peddle their mostly useless and sometimes downright dangerous wares to people who trusted him. That made him a snake.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I swear nearly all of his shows are about what women are doing wrong\incorrectly.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Shysterism aside, he genuinely creeps me out! Not sure why or what, but he makes all of my creep flags run up the pole. Always has from the very first time I saw him on Oprah.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Shysterism aside, he genuinely creeps me out! Not sure why or what, but he makes all of my creep flags run up the pole. Always has from the very first time I saw him on Oprah.

Wow I thought I was the only one who felt this way. His face makes me think " creeper!"

I'm not knocking plastic surgery, I've had plenty of procedures in the past. But I can't shake the weirdo bell that goes off in my head when I see him !
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I swear nearly all of his shows are about what women are doing wrong\incorrectly.

That's because his show specifically targets stay-at-home moms, since they make up the vast majority of his TV audience during the week day. ;)
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 200 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Overall, I am fine with him. I think his mind in the right place getting people to think about their health. People seem to trust what he says, which is powerful.

The thing I get concerned about is his promoting "diet" and "weight loss" supplements like garcinia cambogia and raspberry ketones.

From webmd.com:

"Raspberry ketone became popular for weight loss after it was mentioned on the Dr. Oz television show during the segment called 'Raspberry ketone: Miracle fat-burner in a bottle' in February 2012. Even though it is touted as a “miracle” for weight loss, there is no reliable scientific evidence that it works for improving weight loss."

Although there may be some effectiveness with these supplements, there is no substitute for a good diet and regular exercise. There is no quick fix for permanent and sustainable weight loss and health. It takes time.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    dr_oz_fb_pills.png
    dr-oz-web-graphic.jpg
    390_thumb_1.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2014_06_17_at_7_29_11_PM-256x300.png

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    What does he sell? @CooCooPuff

I know this was pages ago and others may have answered this but he sells his influence. He takes money from the manufacturers of snake oil products and pitches them on his show. The sales of the products go through the roof so they make more money. Just because he does not actually "sell" a product, as in people ordering from his show or website, it does not mean that he is not benefiting financially from the sales of the woo products he promotes.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    dr_oz_fb_pills.png
    dr-oz-web-graphic.jpg
    390_thumb_1.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2014_06_17_at_7_29_11_PM-256x300.png

This sums it up nicely :)
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't hate him, he does what he does and he makes money, good for him. However, I don't like that he is always advertising or endorsing items for weight loss that never work, and are not scientifically proven to work, and are basically glorified vitamin pills...African Mango...Garcinia Cambogia....these things don't work, and cost a lot of money. I don't like that-just stick to the basics Dr. Oz, good diet and exercise.
  • ValBFP4H
    ValBFP4H Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I pick and choose which episodes I watch.....signs of heart attack in women?--Yes, Charlie Sheen or a Psychic? NO! I am sure Oprah is still controlling content in the background yet.
This discussion has been closed.