The Clean Eating Delusion...

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/998983/misconceptions-of-organic-food-s

This is a good thread to read on the subject of Organic food/farming if you get time to give it a read.

I used to buy organic too. I'm not saying your reasons are the same as mine but I believed they were grown without chemicals.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Why write this?

To bash other people's line of thinking? To prove that you are somehow fitness intelligent superior to those ignorant peons that choose to eat organic or gluten free? No you're weak minded and weak willed. Only willing to accept that eating whatever you think is healthy is the only way to "be healthy".

After 20 years of research there is no evidence of any health risk to any currently available GMO foods.
    I'm not God, and I'm not smart enough to play God by creating GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD, or to conduct scientific experiments to prove whether or not they are safe. But I'm smart enough to guess that using super powerful pesticides that kill a huge portion of insect life probably has some effect on me. I'm smart enough to infer that maybe the food industry has a monetary interest in making sure we don't know exactly what effects GMOs have on humans.

Regardless, if I decide to eat organic or not, *kitten* off why do you care? If the "healthiness" of organics is completely placebo, why does it affect you? More importantly, the vast majority of Americans are not unhealthy because of their internal debate over organic or GMO, it's cause they eat *kitten*.

In order to avoid “Food Babe” level ignorance on this issue (“if you can’t pronounce it, you shouldn’t eat it”), some have made the distinction between natural and synthetic chemicals. This is a false dichotomy, however.
    Making that statement is powerful, “if you can’t pronounce it, you shouldn’t eat it”. For a person who knows nothing about nutrition, about what is healthy and what isn't, the simplest and most effective way of eliminating bad stuff from your diet, is pronouncing what's in your diet.

And you're argument? Some chemicals are good in certain portions, which I decide upon. Great, tell that to the fat woman who's shoving twinkies down her pie whole that some of the chemicals in that twinkie are only harmful if consumed in large quantities.

There is this constant struggle to dictate what is healthy: eat GMOs they're good for you, eat organic GMOs kill you, eat raw vegetables because it's alive, eat steamed veggies cause it's easily digestible.

How about minding your own business, learning about the benefits and negatives of an eating style that you can accept to improve your own life?

....Well that wouldn't be as much fun as arguing on a forum: Carbs make you fat, eat Ketogenics.

Dude. Go eat a Snickers.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0e4auasqQ1r0cmab.jpg
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    11892057_441698529350988_1457316099014801101_n.png?oh=0505afa3e403a65b0796af6df531abae&oe=5706B9F5

Do you eat herbs and spices? You are eating naturally produced pesticides. Plants developed the strong flavors we enjoy in order to ward off pests.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I disagree people who don't eat clean have been found to have massive amounts of dihydrogen monoxide in their bodies.

Ban DHMO (also known as hydroxyl acid) - evil, evil stuff. Scientists have found it in cancer cells. I still can't believe they deliberately add it to processed meats.

Love the GMO / t-dna insertion chart. Will have to steal that for a friend.

• Carlos_421
    Options
    Why write this?

To bash other people's line of thinking? To prove that you are somehow fitness intelligent superior to those ignorant peons that choose to eat organic or gluten free? No you're weak minded and weak willed. Only willing to accept that eating whatever you think is healthy is the only way to "be healthy".

After 20 years of research there is no evidence of any health risk to any currently available GMO foods.
    I'm not God, and I'm not smart enough to play God by creating GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD, or to conduct scientific experiments to prove whether or not they are safe. But I'm smart enough to guess that using super powerful pesticides that kill a huge portion of insect life probably has some effect on me. I'm smart enough to infer that maybe the food industry has a monetary interest in making sure we don't know exactly what effects GMOs have on humans.

Regardless, if I decide to eat organic or not, *kitten* off why do you care? If the "healthiness" of organics is completely placebo, why does it affect you? More importantly, the vast majority of Americans are not unhealthy because of their internal debate over organic or GMO, it's cause they eat *kitten*.

In order to avoid “Food Babe” level ignorance on this issue (“if you can’t pronounce it, you shouldn’t eat it”), some have made the distinction between natural and synthetic chemicals. This is a false dichotomy, however.
    Making that statement is powerful, “if you can’t pronounce it, you shouldn’t eat it”. For a person who knows nothing about nutrition, about what is healthy and what isn't, the simplest and most effective way of eliminating bad stuff from your diet, is pronouncing what's in your diet.

And you're argument? Some chemicals are good in certain portions, which I decide upon. Great, tell that to the fat woman who's shoving twinkies down her pie whole that some of the chemicals in that twinkie are only harmful if consumed in large quantities.

There is this constant struggle to dictate what is healthy: eat GMOs they're good for you, eat organic GMOs kill you, eat raw vegetables because it's alive, eat steamed veggies cause it's easily digestible.

How about minding your own business, learning about the benefits and negatives of an eating style that you can accept to improve your own life?

....Well that wouldn't be as much fun as arguing on a forum: Carbs make you fat, eat Ketogenics.

j67vZHxqlbI0POvNggmjdEyIr5L8D-iqODJe0yI64NPnRFTzHb2m7KgPD_2ngWd_eXl5uZ91_QnMuhxmxhz2Z9Y5_0i0Gplq3oFadHM61N2GynbQWamk9JmhAlXp3-U2Qg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    11892057_441698529350988_1457316099014801101_n.png?oh=0505afa3e403a65b0796af6df531abae&oe=5706B9F5

Do you eat herbs and spices? You are eating naturally produced pesticides. Plants developed the strong flavors we enjoy in order to ward off pests.

Cayenne is one of my favorite pesticides. Works wonders on cats too...
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I wash my fruits and veggies before I eat them. Therefore, I practice clean eating.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I made some organic tomato sauce this summer. I ended getting a rather nasty amount of fruit fly larva in it. Pretty much my only option was to re-cook the sauce to kill off the larva and put it into sealed jars.
    I'm just saying eating clean takes a lot of work. It's been a challenge getting all the pests out of my house, I suggest a cat for the larger ones.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Why write this?

The health parts of it don't affect me directly.
    The attitude that the world needs to organic doesn't even directly affect me.
    The attitude that the world needs organic does affect me to the extent that it puts out wrong information in policy discussion and helps to perpuate a modern form of colonialism of European Nations using India, Africa, and the Americas as cash crop growers to cater to them over growing food that actually contributes to local food security. In the sense that I care about people putting the spurs to the poorest people in the world because they can't be bothered to open a nutrition textbook before they can be bothered to open their mouth, yeah, it affects me. Perhaps you can gather that in my response?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I made some organic tomato sauce this summer. I ended getting a rather nasty amount of fruit fly larva in it. Pretty much my only option was to re-cook the sauce to kill off the larva and put it into sealed jars.
    I'm just saying eating clean takes a lot of work. It's been a challenge getting all the pests out of my house, I suggest a cat for the larger ones.

And that just reminded me of the 4 weeks of genetics lab where we all worked on fruit flies. There were far fewer customers in the cafeteria that month (well, unless you count the flies...).
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-clean-eating-delusion/

In practice “clean eating” tends to be avoiding whatever food is the latest boogeyman in the pseudoscientific diet-advice industry. Today this often includes eating organic, avoiding GMOs, avoiding gluten, avoiding perceived “chemicals,” eating “natural” which can mean many things but often means avoiding processed foods and food additives, and sometimes eating raw foods.

It is important to emphasize that none of these food beliefs are science based. After 50 years of research there is no evidence for any health benefit to eating organic. After 20 years of research there is no evidence of any health risk to any currently available GMO foods.

About one percent of the population has true gluten sensitivity, called celiac disease. For everyone else there is no current consensus that gluten causes any problems. This story is more complicated, though, as there are also wheat allergies, and some people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) are sensitive to FODMAPs, which are in many of the same foods as gluten.

Avoiding “toxins” includes a large category of claims, but essentially misses the point that the dose makes the toxin. Sure, there are toxins everywhere – substances that in high enough dose will cause adverse health effects. Water is a toxin if drunk in sufficient quantities. The important question is, what is the dose? It is easy to scare people, however, with the notion that there are toxins in their food or water, without putting that information into its proper context.

Closely related to this is the avoidance of “chemicals.” This is a particularly naive position, as everything is a chemical. Water is a chemical (H2O). You can give even common substance a long technical chemical name and make is sound scary, giving rise to popular memes in which the contents of a banana or blueberry are listed in scary chemical names.

In order to avoid “Food Babe” level ignorance on this issue (“if you can’t pronounce it, you shouldn’t eat it”), some have made the distinction between natural and synthetic chemicals. This is a false dichotomy, however. How much processing or change to a naturally occurring chemical makes it synthetic? Also, there is no reason to suspect that chemicals which happen to occur in nature have any greater tendency to be healthful than synthetic chemicals. This is just another manifestation of the appeal to nature fallacy.

There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about eating too much processed food, as it tends to contain lots of sugar, fat, and/or salt. This has to do more with trends in the food industry, rather than anything inherent to processing foods rather than eating foods prepared from scratch. This is where reading labels can be helpful, and there also needs to be pressure on the food industry to provide more transparency and healthful options. But avoiding processed foods is no guarantee of healthy eating either, as there are many unprocessed sources of excess fat, sugar, and salt.

Eating raw is nothing but pure nonsense. Cooking changes food, mostly for the better, making certain nutrients more accessible and digestion easier. Some types of cooking, or overcooking, (such as boiling vegetables) can remove nutrients from certain foods, but it is not necessary to eat raw in order to get adequate nutrition (and of course, microwaves are no better or worse than any other source of heat).

Raw eating often involves pure pseudoscience, such as the claim that it is better to eat food that is alive, and cooking kills food. Stomach acids also kill food, by the way. Raw claims vary from the pseudoscientific to the mystical, with claims about the essence of food.

wtzz0.jpg
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    hmaddpear wrote: »
    I disagree people who don't eat clean have been found to have massive amounts of dihydrogen monoxide in their bodies.

Ban DHMO (also known as hydroxyl acid) - evil, evil stuff. Scientists have found it in cancer cells. I still can't believe they deliberately add it to processed meats.

Love the GMO / t-dna insertion chart. Will have to steal that for a friend.

I'm glad you know how bad DHMO is
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I eat carbs every day and I have never been above bmi 21.0. Yup those carbs are making me fat
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

And that just reminded me of the 4 weeks of genetics lab where we all worked on fruit flies. There were far fewer customers in the cafeteria that month (well, unless you count the flies...).

Yikes, sounds like a disaster. Luckily they die pretty easy and can't really be seen on the final dish. I got them in some home made apple sauce too, its nearly impossible to tell them from bits of cinnamon. They have just become a part of life now I suppose. I won't derail this thread but I have some great recipes for apple sauce and homemade apple fruit leathers. Kids just can't get enough of them.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    giphy.gif

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dirty food.. but I am having trouble reading this entire thread, it may be all the chemicals I have consumed or maybe because I live in high altitude.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    great post and in
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Page two and we're already aiming to see who can get this thread shut down fastest for multiple ToS violations, I see. Carry on, MFP. Carry on.