The Clean Eating Delusion...

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Case in point.
    lrfmom wrote: »
    Your comments about chemicals are ridiculous. Of course all things are made of chemical compounds, whether found in nature or the lab. But, people eating organic or raw are trying to avoid or minimize the amount of pesticides, processed foods and toxins in their bodies. Most of what you have written are opinions, not fact, and describing others' choices as ignorant or nonsense just proves that you are the one who is both!

Organic does not mean free of pesticides. Or toxins (actual, toxic chemicals). But who needs to let facts get in their way of being offended.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Your comments about chemicals are ridiculous. Of course all things are made of chemical compounds, whether found in nature or the lab. But, people eating organic or raw are trying to avoid or minimize the amount of pesticides, processed foods and toxins in their bodies. Most of what you have written are opinions, not fact, and describing others' choices as ignorant or nonsense just proves that you are the one who is both!

you do realize that organic foods and vegetables are treated with pesticides, correct?

Doh, beat me to it.
  • auddii
    Options
    shadowconn wrote: »
    meeehh . . My only rule is that if I can't reproduce it in my kitchen, I'm not buying it. I have yet to find something I couldn't reproduce in my own kitchen. A hand blender and corn starch can do a lot. *grins*

I'm thinking just a hand blender and corn starch leads to a very large mess...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    meeehh . . My only rule is that if I can't reproduce it in my kitchen, I'm not buying it. I have yet to find something I couldn't reproduce in my own kitchen. A hand blender and corn starch can do a lot. *grins*

so if you can't reproduce what five start chef would create you wont eat it then?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Your comments about chemicals are ridiculous. Of course all things are made of chemical compounds, whether found in nature or the lab. But, people eating organic or raw are trying to avoid or minimize the amount of pesticides, processed foods and toxins in their bodies.

The vast majority of the pesticides you ingest are those produced by the plants themselves. And organic pesticides are not inherently safer than conventional, but are not as rigorously tested.

Many processed foods carry the certified organic label , so we can toss that one out as well.

And "toxins" is just a buzzword used by woo merchants

Most of what you have written are opinions, not fact, and describing others' choices as ignorant or nonsense just proves that you are the one who is both!

Oh the irony
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

57219927.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options

I can neither grow bananas nor raise chickens in my kitchen.
    I can also not bake bread or make pasta.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I can neither grow bananas nor raise chickens in my kitchens.

That just gave me a brilliant idea : banana chickens that you can grow in your kitchen.

Note to self: call Monsanto.

• Carlos_421
    Options

Quoting cuz I think no one watched it.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

That just gave me a brilliant idea : banana chickens that you can grow in your kitchen.

Crap! They're already making them.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Nanogg55 wrote: »
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    Why write this?

To bash other people's line of thinking? To prove that you are somehow fitness intelligent superior to those ignorant peons that choose to eat organic or gluten free? No you're weak minded and weak willed. Only willing to accept that eating whatever you think is healthy is the only way to "be healthy".

After 20 years of research there is no evidence of any health risk to any currently available GMO foods.
    I'm not God, and I'm not smart enough to play God by creating GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD, or to conduct scientific experiments to prove whether or not they are safe. But I'm smart enough to guess that using super powerful pesticides that kill a huge portion of insect life probably has some effect on me. I'm smart enough to infer that maybe the food industry has a monetary interest in making sure we don't know exactly what effects GMOs have on humans.

Regardless, if I decide to eat organic or not, *kitten* off why do you care? If the "healthiness" of organics is completely placebo, why does it affect you? More importantly, the vast majority of Americans are not unhealthy because of their internal debate over organic or GMO, it's cause they eat *kitten*.

In order to avoid “Food Babe” level ignorance on this issue (“if you can’t pronounce it, you shouldn’t eat it”), some have made the distinction between natural and synthetic chemicals. This is a false dichotomy, however.
    Making that statement is powerful, “if you can’t pronounce it, you shouldn’t eat it”. For a person who knows nothing about nutrition, about what is healthy and what isn't, the simplest and most effective way of eliminating bad stuff from your diet, is pronouncing what's in your diet.

And you're argument? Some chemicals are good in certain portions, which I decide upon. Great, tell that to the fat woman who's shoving twinkies down her pie whole that some of the chemicals in that twinkie are only harmful if consumed in large quantities.

There is this constant struggle to dictate what is healthy: eat GMOs they're good for you, eat organic GMOs kill you, eat raw vegetables because it's alive, eat steamed veggies cause it's easily digestible.

How about minding your own business, learning about the benefits and negatives of an eating style that you can accept to improve your own life?

....Well that wouldn't be as much fun as arguing on a forum: Carbs make you fat, eat Ketogenics.

Dude. Go eat a Snickers.

Snickers ftw!!!

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Marathon ftw. Snickers is a stupid name!
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Shrimpanzee

screen-shot-2013-09-24-at-11-57-25-pm.png
  • ndj1979
    Options

sounds like you are never eating chickens, making bread, or eating pasta....sucks to be you bro!
  • Carlos_421
    Options

sounds like you are never eating chickens, making bread, or eating pasta....sucks to be you bro!

Man, eating healthy is hard...
  • auddii
    Options

Too much logic; everyone avoided it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    And now I want a horse-pig @carlos_421

• ndj1979
    Options

Man, eating healthy is hard...

i guess I can't eat steak anymore since I don't raise my own cattle...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Marathon ftw. Snickers is a stupid name!

:(
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

but you can make tortillas! yes?