60lbs to lose by August 20th 2016

Replies

• rshunk
    rshunk Posts: 166 Member
    I started on here in 2010, lost around 80lbs and maintained for a while. Then I left my husband, moved, changed jobs, started into a new relationship.... now here I back at the weight I was when I started back then! This time it is coming off and staying off for good! Always looking to add new friends for motivation, support and just to be there to support others! Feel free to add me!
  • Saviik
    Saviik Posts: 46 Member
    The gym really helps me be more active. Even though I'm chasing my son around I don't seem to get anywhere near enough steps when I'm home all day. Where I go is only month by month so it helps. My look into another place later if they do a deal because it will drop me down to half the price I pay now. All depends! I also think I get a discount if I decide to work for the hospital in town after I get my nursing license.

I just need to get over it and use their other equipment.
    kesslemg wrote: »

I weigh Friday as well. I'm hoping for a good result but I'll take what I can get. I actually tracked (for the most part) over the weekend. Usually I don't even attempt it. It's too hard with everyone home. I'm hoping that makes a positive impact. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm trying not to let myself get upset if I don't lose weight. I'm preparing myself! If I'm negative I lose motivation. Going to the fitness center and working out is a huge step and in some ways more important than losing weight!! Best of luck to you as well!!
  • zzefiro
    zzefiro Posts: 6 Member
    Hi all. I just joined a wellness group locally that will run until June. One of my goals is to track daily intake and will be doing it with MFP. I've yo-yo'd for too long. 2lbs a week for me should be very doable. I can't wait to know how we all feel in August.
  • thisisntabagel
    thisisntabagel Posts: 11 Member
    Anyone have any advice on making yourself like vegetables? Lol
  • kesslemg
    kesslemg Posts: 47 Member

How do you usually prepare them? My husband is pretty picky with his veggies. He only eats then roasted in the oven. I roasted green beans tonight and also roast broccoli and cauliflower. Just spritz them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Yummy!!
  • thisisntabagel
    kesslemg wrote: »
    How do you usually prepare them? My husband is pretty picky with his veggies. He only eats then roasted in the oven. I roasted green beans tonight and also roast broccoli and cauliflower. Just spritz them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Yummy!!

Mostly raw. Ive tried cooking a few things--asparagus (that wasn't AWFUL? But we overcooked it), roasted brussel sprouts (also not terrible? I'm going to try these again), and "riced" cauliflower that is sort of fried in the pan to cook it. That I just bleh. I force it down when I can, lol. I mean some of them aren't awful but I don't enjoy my food as much and end up craving other stuff.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Roasting is good - my son has never been a big fan of vegetables, but we recently discovered that he likes them if they're roasted so I'll have to do that more often! It's a good way of getting us all to eat more, so long as I don't go overboard on the oil.

I like veggies in stirfries as well - I'm not a good cook, but even I can manage to throw a few chopped veggies in a frying pan and add a splash of sauce. :) I made a chicken and veg stirfry a couple of days ago with some leftovers - added a bit of lime juice and cilantro and a few slivered almonds for extra crunch, and was quite pleased with it!
  • thisisntabagel
    Several people have suggested roasting, so I guess that will be my first try! But like you said, @SueSueDio, I'll have to keep a close eye on the oil. :)
  • ahruss23
    ahruss23 Posts: 4 Member
    Can someone add me please? I have just started using My Fitness Pal again and could use the encouragement as well. Thanks
  • galecader
    galecader Posts: 1 Member
    ok. So I had a hysterectomy and was just doing fine down some weight. Then I got sick with pneumonia and then the kids got sick. I couldn't sleep and was just not doing well. I am a small person and I haven't been this big since I gave birth to my last child. I lost the weight within a year and only started gaining when I got the fibroids, hormone fluctuation and just tired. I now am embarrassed about how much I weight. I want to lose 60 pds, by August. I would be happy with 10 right now. I know that I can do it, because I have done it before. I struggle when I am this big, but when I get slimmer I don't have to work as much as everything (hormones, body functions etc work great). I support you all. Lets burn the fat to the ground.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member

I'd like to know the answer to this too, rule of thumb for me is "if it's green I hate it" lol
    I really am so fussy about veg, over the years i've got a little better, I will eat mushrooms, corn, peppers, and even spinach now (yes, this is the ONLY green exception), but I just can't stand the vast majority of it, and some veg actually makes me feel physically sick (cabbage/sprouts).
    I'd love nothing more than to be able to have a salad, or a big plate of veg with dinner, and actually enjoy eating it, but I don't, I hate every single second of it, and i've tried forcing myself to eat it because "it's good for you" but this just makes me hate it even more...
  • tracybett
    tracybett Posts: 12 Member
    I would love to join, feel free to add me. I've got 60-70 pounds to lose and have started on a positive foot.
  • JillPoverud
    JillPoverud Posts: 27 Member

Roast them! I broil the last couple of minutes to get some crunch/browning.

Add them to soup.
  • JillPoverud
    JillPoverud Posts: 27 Member
    CariTJR wrote: »

I'd like to know the answer to this too, rule of thumb for me is "if it's green I hate it" lol
    I really am so fussy about veg, over the years i've got a little better, I will eat mushrooms, corn, peppers, and even spinach now (yes, this is the ONLY green exception), but I just can't stand the vast majority of it, and some veg actually makes me feel physically sick (cabbage/sprouts).
    I'd love nothing more than to be able to have a salad, or a big plate of veg with dinner, and actually enjoy eating it, but I don't, I hate every single second of it, and i've tried forcing myself to eat it because "it's good for you" but this just makes me hate it even more...

Spirilizing zucchini and potatoes and cooking in some oil in a non-stick or cast iron pan is delish. Sprinkle with some salt/pepper or herbs, or any type of sauce. I almost prefer this to spaghetti and I feel lighter afterward, avoiding the carb coma! :)
  • tracybett
    tracybett Posts: 12 Member

Have you tried cooking the veg and maybe blitzing it in a blender and adding it to pasta sauce or any sauce? Or even just trying a new thing every week.
  • 1JoyfulNoise
    1JoyfulNoise Posts: 12 Member
    I was checking out how many weeks between today, January 21st and August 20th in order to help me have a weekly or bi-weekly goal for weight loss. Something realistic for me in order to achieve the 60 lb loss is actually not so bad looking as it shows exactly what most people have heard before. A 2 lb average loss weekly for 31 weeks (time frame from now until August 20th) is what is needed. It looks so much better and manageable as a 2 lb weekly weight loss than looking at the bigger picture and feeling utterly deflated. So here I go now to put it into practice! :)
  • 1JoyfulNoise

Spirilizing zucchini and potatoes and cooking in some oil in a non-stick or cast iron pan is delish. Sprinkle with some salt/pepper or herbs, or any type of sauce. I almost prefer this to spaghetti and I feel lighter afterward, avoiding the carb coma! :)

• 1JoyfulNoise
    Oh my goodness how awesome that you enjoy spinach, mushrooms and peppers! Those three are dislikes for me. Good on you.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    tracybett wrote: »

Have you tried cooking the veg and maybe blitzing it in a blender and adding it to pasta sauce or any sauce? Or even just trying a new thing every week.

Good thinking! I've never thought about blending them and making them into sauces, I love sauces so this could work, will give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.