The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    ^^Love the first one! Made me LOL. :smiley:

I got in 8 (that's right, count 'em) miles over my lunch break today. That's what the training plan called for. Thank goodness I work on salary and can extend my lunches past the hour mark without anyone chastising me too much. It was about 35 degrees (F) and foggy--so humid af. Today was supposed to be a pace run, so I was aiming for around 9:30 per mile average.

Thanks to the humidity, it felt like I was breathing water the whole time, and I was sure my time would be slow because of it. However, I managed to push it out (without feeling like I was going to die). Fastest mile was 9:14, slowest was 9:48, and average was 9:25.

Now I really must get back to work...

79.8 of 145.1 miles completed for the month.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    moremonica wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - I started my glucosamine tablets yesterday. I will let you know how it goes in a few weeks.

I am hoping to run for at least a mile tomorrow.
    It will be very embarrassing to be in this group and have a 10 mile goal and not make it.

I hope it works well for you. Just remember it takes a while to feel the affects. I'm very curious to see if you see the same improvement I did.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I'm back. I have 10 pages of unread posts and I don't know if I'll get to them but I'll try. I find that when I'm gone for a few days and there's a bunch of catching up to do that I keep putting off getting back on and of course that just makes it harder. Just have to jump back in I guess.

I took a 4 or 5 day break from running to give my calf time to heal (and take my daughter back to college) and I it seems to have worked. I had a 6 mile run Monday and a 8 mile run last night and didn't have any pain. YES!

Last night was a great run in perfect 20F temps. I left Kody behind (sorry pup!) so I could focus on myself and my running form, working to maintain a short but quick stride. I even listened to music, something I haven't done since June. I wandered about the neighborhood, taking new roads on a whim. I need to do that more often.

A new pair of trail shoes showed up yesterday, a pair of Merrell All Out Charge. I'll give them a short test run tomorrow then go for a 10 mile trail run Saturday. They fit great but have a lower drop and more arch support than I'm used to.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    See how evil treadmills are?

Never believe a treadmill. I wear my Garmin for distance.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just remember, the main purpose of a treadmill is to make it seem like you ran. :smile: So it only seemed like you went 8 miles. It's not fair to expect it to actually be "running 8 miles".

That's my theory anyways.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I saw some discussion a few pages back about whether someone was a runner or not. I offer this quote by John Bingham, 'The Penguin':

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations on gloves? I am good to go with all of my other winter running gear, but I still have problems with frozen fingers. I have 3 different pairs of gloves and none of them keeps my fingers as warm as I would like. Does anyone out there have any "supergloves" they would care to recommend?

I bought some mittens that, I believe are for skiing. The brand is Burke. I wear just the liner when its cooler. The liner is warmer than my North Face thin gloves and with the same thickness. I wore liner and all, in mid 20° windy conditions, and had to ditch them after 2 miles. The are wind proof too. Very toasty.

Er the brand is Burton.. Faulty memory.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    How do I work out my VO2 max for my Garmin?

Are you asking what kind of workouts to do for VO2 max, or how to set your workout on your Garmin? What Garmin do you have?

I have a Garmin FR10.. I don't think it records it.. But it looks like i can enter a starting value in the Garmin app? Lol I really have no idea what it means :blush:
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

Love it!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Just remember, the main purpose of a treadmill is to make it seem like you ran. :smile: So it only seemed like you went 8 miles. It's not fair to expect it to actually be "running 8 miles".

That's my theory anyways.

So that means all this pain is just in my imagination, lol? I wish!

But really--I hate the cold more than I hate my imaginary treadmill miles. And with snowmageddon and 30 inches of snow in a place with approximately 2 plows bearing down on me, I'm going to make sure my rusty old hulk in the basement is working properly for the next 5-7 days I'm snowed in.

1/1 5 @ 10:36 on the treadmill
    1/2 4.75 @ 10:42 on the park trail (20.75/20 miles for the week)

1/3 5.25 @ 11:14 (5.0 @ 10:51, .25 walking) on the trails near my house. It was a beautiful, blustery day!
    1/4 10 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. While running from Indominus Rex.
    1/5 3 @ 11:14 on the treadmill and strength training
    1/6 Rest Day and feeling fairly sore from yesterday's PT (and maybe Monday's run?)
    1/7 4.75 @ 11:53 on the park trail.
    1/8 3.5 @ 10:07 (3 at 9:48 and .5 at 12:00) plus strength training
    1/9 3.5 @ 12:22 (3 at 11:26, plus .5 at a walk) loping around the neighborhood with St. Woolos the Barbarian, aka The Poopinest Dog in the East, aka Woogie the Worst Running Partner Ever. It's a good thing he's cute!
    (30/30 for the week)

1/10 Rest Day/Family Day
    1/11 10.75 at 11:46 around the park trails. My heart was light, but my legs felt every centimeter of the last two miles. "Gently rolling terrain" feels a lot like "stinking big hills" after 100 minutes or so...
    1/12 3.25 @ 11:27 on the treadmill. Plus strength training.
    1/13 Rest Day due to dental work...revising the weekly goal down a little, since I won't have quite as much time on my "regular" rest day to make up for this one.
    1/14 5.0 @ 12:47 around the lake trail with my dog, who may be toking behind my back--pokey puppy was slow, paranoid (that stroller--it tried to eat me! those loud lady joggers!--they tried to eat me! that nice old man with a cane!--he tried to beat me from 12 feet away!), and generally disinterested in actually *running*.
    1/15 6.0 @ 11:00 (and .25 at a walk) on the treadmill...I didn't feel up to strength training since my head was hurting this morning (running seems to make headaches better, but not lifting; it's weird)
    1/16 Rest Day
    (25/25 for the week)

1/17 Rest Day
    1/18 5.25 (8K race) at the lake @ 11:14 for the run part. A balmy 17F and 20 mph winds. Brrr. I've never run in conditions like that. I started out fearing hypothermia and wound up sweating *through* my stupid muppet-fur jacket. I was the last person in who didn't walk part of the way, but it wasn't a bad showing for a trail run for me. Certainly not a PR, but my asthma doesn't like these low temps and I didn't want to push it.
    1/19 3.25 @ 10:44 on the treadmill and strength training
    1/20 12.5 @ 11:45 on the treadmill. Sucker Punch. Bra chafe. Dying. Need painkillers. And food. Lots of food.
    1/21 Rest day. Not on purpose, but I couldn't bear to put on a sports bra and feared putting out someone's eyes otherwise. Surprisingly, though, my legs feel great. I'm hoping to get 4 miles in tomorrow before the snow comes.
    1/22
    1/23
    (21/25 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    February 14: Run Your Heart Out 5K, Fairfax, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL
    (Can't do my March races because I need to have surgery March 4. :( ).

exercise.png

• aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Tuesday: 3 miles in the morning, 2 in the evening.
    Wednesday: 4 miles trail running.

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    1/21 Rest day. Not on purpose, but I couldn't bear to put on a sports bra and feared putting out someone's eyes otherwise. Surprisingly, though, my legs feel great. I'm hoping to get 4 miles in tomorrow before the snow comes.

Have you tried an anti-chafe balm? I use Body Glide, and it works really well, both for prevention and for protecting and comforting existing chafed areas.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 5k
    3/1 - 7k
    5/1 - 1k walk
    6/1 - 3k
    7/1 - 2.5k
    9/1 - 7k
    10/1 - 5k intervals
    12/1 - 2k walk
    13/1 - 1k
    14/1 - 5k
    16/1 - 7k
    17/1 - 5k
    18/1 - 1k
    21/1 - 6k

57.5/80

1k 18/1 was at faster than normal pace as part of personal training session. Ok so not made it out of gym yet but managed to add some incline intervals from a routine I found online. I have put it below for any other treadmillers looking for something different. It was tough but felt good as I managed to keep my normal pace. Weather forecast looking ok for Saturday.....might be the day I get out.

5min warm up jog (I did 1k 8mins)
    1min 3%
    2min 1%
    1min 4%
    2min 1%
    1min 5%
    2min 1%
    1min 6%
    2min 1%
    Do 3 times
    5min cool down jog

@Becky_44 I joined this group in November not because I could run but I liked the idea of being able to run. I really struggled as I was trying too hard to run fast. I could not do a full 1km without walking. I got really good advice and support on here about going slow and distance over multiple days count just as much etc etc. I can now do 7km non stop at a steady if slow pace. If it wasn't for the good advice and motivation I got on here I know that would not be the case and I'd be about 5-10lb heavier. This forum makes me feel better about my pace, reassures me I am on the right track and makes me hold myself to account. Just sharing my experience to maybe help inform your decision.

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    Options

Have you tried an anti-chafe balm? I use Body Glide, and it works really well, both for prevention and for protecting and comforting existing chafed areas.

And Vaseline/ Petroleum Jelly (not sure what you call it over there!) Its all I use and its cheap :wink:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    I am celebrating! Mycalf muscles are nice and sore this morning after yesterday's fast run... This for me, usually means my calf muscles are beginning to function and shin splints will be gone soon! Well, this is what happened last time anyway! Fingers crossed :smiley:
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

And Vaseline/ Petroleum Jelly (not sure what you call it over there!) Its all I use and its cheap :wink:

On my list! I've been using vaseline (ouch! it stings!) but need to get something preventative, so I'm going to try the body glide.
  • runner_girl83
    edited January 2016
    Options

Are you asking what kind of workouts to do for VO2 max, or how to set your workout on your Garmin? What Garmin do you have?

I have a Garmin FR10.. I don't think it records it.. But it looks like i can enter a starting value in the Garmin app? Lol I really have no idea what it means :blush:

Okay... So I did a quick google and found this page.. http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/vo2max-calculator.aspx I used the resting heart rate option and it came up with my
    VO2 Max = 45 ml/kg/min? (my RHR is 60 bpm)
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays I think I misread your post sorry.. Vaseline can sting if the skin is already irritated... sorry! I put it on my inner thighs, where my shorts finish, before each run to prevent any chaffing.. but you're right.. if the skin is already irritated it can sting!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

yeah, that was one of my motivating factors for upgrading from my old FR-10. To do workouts. The funny thing is, I haven't used that capability in my FR-220 yet. LOL

But theorectically, you can create workouts in the app. Enter target paces and times/distances. Then if you had a watch capable of accepting that workout, then it will actually tell you what you need to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A71upD8amgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5EyJtgl-MY

7lenny7 wrote: »

running-11.png

• Stoshew71
    Options

On my list! I've been using vaseline (ouch! it stings!) but need to get something preventative, so I'm going to try the body glide.

A good cheap alternative for anti-chaffing is underarm deoderant. Just go to the dollar store and rub on the cheap stuff (after you buy it - offcourse lol).

• Stoshew71
    Options
    I am celebrating! Mycalf muscles are nice and sore this morning after yesterday's fast run... This for me, usually means my calf muscles are beginning to function and shin splints will be gone soon! Well, this is what happened last time anyway! Fingers crossed :smiley:

Good luck! yaaaaay for you. :-)