Is this a fitness app, or dating site?

Options

Replies

• Blondie0281
    Blondie0281 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    After some observation in the forums and whatnot, I've come to this conclusion:
    I think people get the perception that it's a dating site, for this reason. From a guys perspective, follow my logic. Talks to a woman on here who maybe is trying to shed a few pounds. They probably feel vulnerable, insecure etc. and some creepy people see that and kinda use that as their "in"....it feels like match.com or AM...but with fitness and calorie counting.
    I never heard of Kik before joining MFP. Don't get me wrong, I have female friends on here, and they're just that. Friends...I'm not here to hook up....

@jamespfinnen I agree. I only opened up one forum (not this chit chat one) and it only took me a second to see where it was going. That's why I posted in this one, and it seems most agree. You're absolutely right about women feeling vulnerable and using this to validate themselves. It's really sad.
    On the other hand, this could be a great place to meet someone if that's what you're looking for.
    I've never used Kik and hadn't heard of it until this thread. Still not even sure what it is but I think I get the jist just by the conversations.

• JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options
    I think people get the perception that it's a dating site, for this reason. From a guys perspective, follow my logic. Talks to a woman on here who maybe is trying to shed a few pounds. They probably feel vulnerable, insecure etc. and some creepy people see that and kinda use that as their "in"....it feels like match.com or AM...but with fitness and calorie counting.
    I never heard of Kik before joining MFP. Don't get me wrong, I have female friends on here, and they're just that. Friends...I'm not here to hook up....

@jamespfinnen I agree. I only opened up one forum (not this chit chat one) and it only took me a second to see where it was going. That's why I posted in this one, and it seems most agree. You're absolutely right about women feeling vulnerable and using this to validate themselves. It's really sad.
    On the other hand, this could be a great place to meet someone if that's what you're looking for.
    I've never used Kik and hadn't heard of it until this thread. Still not even sure what it is but I think I get the jist just by the conversations.

we can three way kik and make it kinky
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,768 Member
    Options
    MFP is pretty much a more hardcore version of Fetlife.
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

EPIC response

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options

Heeeeey...I thought That was our thing. :(
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »

Heeeeey...I thought That was our thing. :(

i was just throwing an idea around doesnt mean i would go through with it ;)
  • Blondie0281
    Blondie0281 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I'll pass. Not because I'm calling you ugly, I'm just not here looking for love but hey, looks like @synchkat is!
  • zakum1
    zakum1 Posts: 402 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You start out using it with the intention to track your calories and exercise. Then you wander into here and the needle goes in and you lose your soul to the matrix.

• JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    and here I am trying to find dates on this site..
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm only on here for fitness and diet reasons, I can say with confidence that I've been opened to levels of friendliness - even if only platonically - that I can only DREAM about on any dating site. I love this place! :)
  • synchkat
    Options

I'll pass. Not because I'm calling you ugly, I'm just not here looking for love but hey, looks like @synchkat is!

Um....ok, I wasn't aware of that but thanks for letting me know
  • wolfehound33
    wolfehound33 Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Um isn't it obvious, she knows you better than you know yourself ;)
  • synchkat
    Options

Thanks goodness eh.
  • wolfehound33
    Options

Thanks goodness eh.

Always good to know there is some there thinking for you
  • synchkat
    Options

Thanks goodness eh.

Definitely. I guess that's the benefit of a fitness app? People care?
  • wolfehound33
    Options

Thanks goodness eh.

Exactly, except those in this section, we're just pervs and teenagers
  • synchkat
    Options

Thanks goodness eh.

I'm not a teenager, that's for sure, so I guess I'm a perv?
  • wolfehound33
    Options

Thanks goodness eh.

I'm not a teenager, that's for sure, so I guess I'm a perv?

Right there with you I guess
  • johnnyr333
    johnnyr333 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sexercise
  • jojin04
    jojin04 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Who wants me