Has anyone heard of a neighborhood where they don't want you to jog/run in it?

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Did it ever cross your mind to stop for a second, turn around, say Hi and see if he actually wanted to tell you anything? He probably is now wondering why this rude girl had him chase her in his wheelchair and could not stop for a minute to talk. For all you know, your mail was accidentally delivered to his address and he was trying to give it to you. Or he was about to invite you to a neighbourhood meeting. Or inform you an aggressive stray dog has been seen in the neighbourhood and to be careful.

He does not know me personally or where I live. Yeah thanks for judging me.

For 1. I was not rude because I was far away and is 11 pm so not like I am chatting with people while I run.

I was not near him and I turned around about 100 feet or more before I was near him so I didn't really see him til I saw him turning around and then I was running complete opposite way and he started to follow me because I realized it when I went down this corridor where he couldn't see he and I saw that he was behind me. No one else was outside except me. I like how there's so many rude people on forums.

For the most part, I keep my negative judgemental thoughts to myself. But I have them. I was also thinking, "Why wouldn't you just turn around and ask him?". You answered that completely with this post. So maybe it's a good thing someone said it aloud.

It looks like most people think it's highly unlikely that jogging is not allowed. That's good news, right? Kind of what you'd been hoping for?

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    Since he was in a power chair, he most certainly could have caught up to you if that was his intent. My chair goes up to 6 MPH.

Haha I was going to say exactly the same thing about my 6mph chair! I wanted a sticker for such a long time that read "if you can't walk at 4mph don't try to step in front of me". (4mph is legal limit on pavements here).

Legal limit on pavements? Do they charge you with reckless op if you go over 6mph? Do they impound your feet?

LOL I don't know, but they'd have to catch me first ;-)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Since he was in a power chair, he most certainly could have caught up to you if that was his intent. My chair goes up to 6 MPH.

Haha I was going to say exactly the same thing about my 6mph chair! I wanted a sticker for such a long time that read "if you can't walk at 4mph don't try to step in front of me". (4mph is legal limit on pavements here).

Please define pavement. I do find this fairly comical BTW.

• Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Did it ever cross your mind to stop for a second, turn around, say Hi and see if he actually wanted to tell you anything? He probably is now wondering why this rude girl had him chase her in his wheelchair and could not stop for a minute to talk. For all you know, your mail was accidentally delivered to his address and he was trying to give it to you. Or he was about to invite you to a neighbourhood meeting. Or inform you an aggressive stray dog has been seen in the neighbourhood and to be careful.

He does not know me personally or where I live. Yeah thanks for judging me.

For 1. I was not rude because I was far away and is 11 pm so not like I am chatting with people while I run.

I was not near him and I turned around about 100 feet or more before I was near him so I didn't really see him til I saw him turning around and then I was running complete opposite way and he started to follow me because I realized it when I went down this corridor where he couldn't see he and I saw that he was behind me. No one else was outside except me. I like how there's so many rude people on forums.

You started a thread asking everyone to judge the actions of a third party. If judging is bad, you never should have posted this in the first place.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Was a golf club involved?
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

UK Pavement = US Sidewalk http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1988/2268/regulation/4/made
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

savage
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

UK Pavement = US Sidewalk http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1988/2268/regulation/4/made
    Well that clears that up. Graci. I am finding this OP to be amusing.

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    ...and the association leader
    I know he is the association leader because he introduced himself once
    He does not know me personally or where I live.
    As the association leader, he DOES know who you are and where you live. I don't understand why you're so concerned that another human being was outside at the same time you were. You were running toward him, and then turned around to run the other way. Perhaps it felt to him like you were trying to avoid being seen, and that maybe you were up to "no good".

I didn't see in her post where it says what her running pace was. What makes you think she was running so slow as to be caught by your chair?

NOW WHO'S JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS?!?!?!??!?!?!
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    As the association leader, he DOES know who you are and where you live. I don't understand why you're so concerned that another human being was outside at the same time you were. You were running toward him, and then turned around to run the other way. Perhaps it felt to him like you were trying to avoid being seen, and that maybe you were up to "no good".

I didn't see in her post where it says what her running pace was. What makes you think she was running so slow as to be caught by your chair?

NOW WHO'S JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS?!?!?!??!?!?!
    Wait. This is the exercise and fitness part of MFP and we shouldn't conclude he (the man in the chair) wasn't using a foot to guide his movement, his hands, or be powered. OP, were you close enough to see how the chair was powered? Do you know how fast you were running? Did he turn around after you passed? Does this indicate you were running backwards? If so, how could you see him coming toward you? Was there a moon?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

My HOA has over 590 houses in it. The leader lives across the street from me and I know she doesn't know every member and where they live.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    OP, what if his wheelchair malfunctioned and was steering itself toward you? Was there any water around? Perhaps you were the only thing between him and a lake and, when you rounded that corner and never looked back, wheelchair man ended up in the drink. Dude was in major distress and on his way to a watery grave, and here you are wondering whether or not it's okay to run in your neighborhood. Are there a lot of sad neighbors walking around today?
  • Grubbmeister276
    Grubbmeister276 Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I guess this is the last time I use these forums.

I don't blame you. I think intuition and wisdom told you the best way to deal with the hoa guy was to keep going. You learn quickly, and next time you'll think twice about the forums, as well.

Word to the wise: people who insert "assume" into a pleasant conversation are looking to argue. Life is full of occasions where we use wisdom and intuition to avoid the time and expense of dealing in certainties. Presidents of homeowners organizations have a well-earned reputation, as well as many who lurk these forums. Blessings to all!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

I don't blame you. I think intuition and wisdom told you the best way to deal with the hoa guy was to keep going. You learn quickly, and next time you'll think twice about the forums, as well.

Word to the wise: people who insert "assume" into a pleasant conversation are looking to argue. Life is full of occasions where we use wisdom and intuition to avoid the time and expense of dealing in certainties. Presidents of homeowners organizations have a well-earned reputation, as well as many who lurk these forums. Blessings to all!

"Deal with the hoa guy?" He literally did nothing to the OP.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Not sure if serious...

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OMG until now I didn't realize what day it was!!!

TGIF people!
  • talialinn
    talialinn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Anxiety can make logic fly out of the window, but try to think about it rationally. If exercise is forbidden, and if they wanted to let you know you'd broken a rule, how likely is it that the method they would choose to notify you is by following you down the street?

Agreed. You're totally fine. Keep up your run, girl! If it's supposedly a problem, then it's on them for being so passive about it. If I were you, I wouldn't worry and/or care. Get your workout on! :)
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    9nkjnsnnrsv4.png

Just because everything reminds me...

2003_reality_cvr_fix_800sq.jpg

• Murano243
    Murano243 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    #1-you did not make him chase you(as someone said) it was his choice)
    #2-just because he's in a wheel chair doesn't make him harmless
    #3-you're doing the right thing by pitting some real estate between you and him
    Ask your boyfriend to come with you once(at a distance behind in eye sight) and when the guy does the same thing he can run up to him and ask what's going on here. I remember on the news once where a woman was raped by a guy in a wheelchair. Don't be upset with the neagitive replies, Do what I suggested and keep doing you're thing
    PS, Who in the heck is going to the mail box at that time gezzz?