Has anyone heard of a neighborhood where they don't want you to jog/run in it?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    thank you both. ok so that sounds abit like our leasehold properties here, where you pay all sorts of money for no good reason.,

Yeah there are two kinds. Condo associations where the fees you pay in pay for maintenance, electricity, landscaping, etc. for the common areas and homeowner associations where you pay for some minor wanna be dictator to tell you when your lawn needs mowing or you took too long shoveling snow.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    64crayons wrote: »
    Since he was in a power chair, he most certainly could have caught up to you if that was his intent. My chair goes up to 6 MPH.
    ...and the association leader
    I know he is the association leader because he introduced himself once
    He does not know me personally or where I live.
    As the association leader, he DOES know who you are and where you live. I don't understand why you're so concerned that another human being was outside at the same time you were. You were running toward him, and then turned around to run the other way. Perhaps it felt to him like you were trying to avoid being seen, and that maybe you were up to "no good".

6 whole mph?

still faster than me :pensive:

@jofjltncb6 i don't drink often so i haven't had the opportunity yet. I'm sure there are some beer runs around here (Milwaukee)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    problem would be solved if everyone gets letterbox holes in their front doors. the post man just puts the mail throw the hole

Post office does not allow them in many areas. Many neighborhoods cannot even have individual mailboxes, there is one central one for every 4-6 homes (each home had their own locked section in the general mailbox). Apartments and condos usually have a whole bank of them out by the street. I lived in an apartment complex that had one box, with individual locked sections, for every 12 apartments.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    problem would be solved if everyone gets letterbox holes in their front doors. the post man just puts the mail throw the hole

Post office does not allow them in many areas. Many neighborhoods cannot even have individual mailboxes, there is one central one for every 4-6 homes (each home had their own locked section in the general mailbox). Apartments and condos usually have a whole bank of them out by the street. I lived in an apartment complex that had one box, with individual locked sections, for every 12 apartments.

But Miracle On 34th Street taught me that the post office is mandated to deliver the mail to the addressed person! Please don't say it fibbed (or that Santa doesn't exist) :-(
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I guess this is the last time I use these forums.

I don't blame you. I think intuition and wisdom told you the best way to deal with the hoa guy was to keep going. You learn quickly, and next time you'll think twice about the forums, as well.

Word to the wise: people who insert "assume" into a pleasant conversation are looking to argue. Life is full of occasions where we use wisdom and intuition to avoid the time and expense of dealing in certainties. Presidents of homeowners organizations have a well-earned reputation, as well as many who lurk these forums. Blessings to all!

ET0EtCjGT32RgPIu1nAB_George%20Scooter%20Race.gif

This is exactly what came to my mind.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Is it possible he was just going your way ot was out for a wander, gone far enough and was turning around to go home? Why are you anticipating being told you can't run? If you are worried why not get hold of the rules and check what they are anti?

Also possible he liked to watch your bum as you run....

I also think it would be illegal for them to forbid you access to a public area for something that doesn't harm anything.

If you were running on the wrong side of the road or if you were running on the road when a sidewalk was available, that would be illegal. But not the running itself.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

But Miracle On 34th Street taught me that the post office is mandated to deliver the mail to the addressed person! Please don't say it fibbed (or that Santa doesn't exist) :-(

Oh they are. However, they can dictate the receptacle for that delivery. (and yes, Santa IS real)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    YAY! Thank you (for the explanation AND the confirmation) :-)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    I agree with your boyfriend; don't worry about it. Unless the streets themselves are privately owned and maintained, it seems unlikely that a HOA could have rules specific to what you do in the public right of way. There are literally endless possibilities and trying to guess which one isn't going to help anything.

agreed
    and see Op should get a copy of the terms and conditions to check or just ask the HOA

She had them...

...but she lost them.

So this plan doesn't work at all.

I'm guessing if she lost a $1M check she would find it/get it replaced. If she really wanted to know the rules she could find them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I tried to find the rules online and couldn't fine it on their site. I was running in the street. No cars around and no one else awake.

How about you call your HOA and ask if the rules are on their website, and if not, pickup another copy? While you've got them on the phone, ask them directly if there are any rules about running.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    HOA = Home Owners Association. Self-important dictators who decide what you can and cannot do in your own neighborhood, on your own property. The basic idea is fine; you won't have a nice house with a well-kept yard next to a shack with foot-high weeds and a pickup truck on blocks in the front yard but every HOA I've dealt with has taken it to the extreme. They can also fine you. Screw HOAs; I'll never live in another neighborhood with one.

Ya, as an avid gardener, I'd never live in a place with a HOA that could potentially tell me what I could and could not plant. (My former boss's HOA had these sorts of rules.)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Coyotes, mountain lions, bears. Where do you live OP?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    HOA = Home Owners Association. Self-important dictators who decide what you can and cannot do in your own neighborhood, on your own property. The basic idea is fine; you won't have a nice house with a well-kept yard next to a shack with foot-high weeds and a pickup truck on blocks in the front yard but every HOA I've dealt with has taken it to the extreme. They can also fine you. Screw HOAs; I'll never live in another neighborhood with one.

Ya, as an avid gardener, I'd never live in a place with a HOA that could potentially tell me what I could and could not plant. (My former boss's HOA had these sorts of rules.)

i had a family member's HOA have rules about no cars not parked in the garages and no boats parked on driveways
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    64crayons wrote: »
    Since he was in a power chair, he most certainly could have caught up to you if that was his intent. My chair goes up to 6 MPH.

Haha I was going to say exactly the same thing about my 6mph chair! I wanted a sticker for such a long time that read "if you can't walk at 4mph don't try to step in front of me". (4mph is legal limit on pavements here).

Please define pavement. I do find this fairly comical BTW.

You can run on the grass though. Pavement would normally include concrete as well as asphalt... so wouldn't that mean cars can't go faster?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Friend lived an area with a HOA. The HOA wouldn't let a guy put a basket in the driveway for his kids, against the rules. To get back at them he painted his house day glow pink (no rule against that).
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Friend lived an area with a HOA. The HOA wouldn't let a guy put a basket in the driveway for his kids, against the rules. To get back at them he painted his house day glow pink (no rule against that).

Silly HOA. I'd expect house color rules to be the # 1 rule.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! This is hilarious.

Common sense isn't too common these days. Has anyone ever been told they can't jog in the neighborhood they pay HOA fees in? I'm curious.

Reminds me of a paranoid friend I had, who came to visit and tells me, "that car has been following me for a long time". When I looked to see the car, it was parking across the street, because it was my neighbor. LOL!

The OPs boyfriend knows how to deal with his woman... wait till they tell you something sweetheart. lol!

I love when threads like this happen.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Murano243 wrote: »
    #1-you did not make him chase you(as someone said) it was his choice)
    #2-just because he's in a wheel chair doesn't make him harmless
    #3-you're doing the right thing by pitting some real estate between you and him
    Ask your boyfriend to come with you once(at a distance behind in eye sight) and when the guy does the same thing he can run up to him and ask what's going on here. I remember on the news once where a woman was raped by a guy in a wheelchair. Don't be upset with the neagitive replies, Do what I suggested and keep doing you're thing
    PS, Who in the heck is going to the mail box at that time gezzz?

Um, she knows who it is and the moon may not have been out?

People do get sexually assaulted by people they know. Just because she knows him, doesn't mean that he means her no harm. I'm not saying that he did want to harm her, but saying she knew him is not a good enough reason to not be wary of him.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Not reading to the end of this thread.

Just posting this pic of a kitteh in a kitteh wheelchair.

slide_454872_6105948_compressed.jpg
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    1-LeprechaunRidingInWheelchair.gif