Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Windchild wrote: »
    Hi! I've been lurking for a while. I just thought I'd finally pop out of the shadows to say I LOVE this thread! <3 All of you guys' lunches look so yummy! And a lot of the bento boxes are so cute. It makes me want to try to create bento boxes even more than I did before. I do take my lunches to work, but nothing as good as what you guys do, or in any particular box. I just stuff my lunch in whatever generic gladware or plastic baggie I have and go. :smile: Keep it up! I'm gonna go back to lurkville now.
    No! come back! We don't want you to relurk! Kyoko-chan (who I'd think by now is the mascot of the bento thread), wants you to stay!
    2qjyempwhv07.gif
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    I make salads in a box for lunch/dinner sometimes, so, that's something.
    I really like this show, so, if I could have any bento boxes, I would have something like this one:
    s-l300.jpg
    fa1aa4707c1ccd63fc26b4f052f33836.jpg
    You know, I haven't watched Lupin the third before. I've heard it's good, but just haven't quite got around to watching it.
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    moribunny wrote: »
    Hi! I've been lurking for a while. I just thought I'd finally pop out of the shadows to say I LOVE this thread! <3 All of you guys' lunches look so yummy! And a lot of the bento boxes are so cute. It makes me want to try to create bento boxes even more than I did before. I do take my lunches to work, but nothing as good as what you guys do, or in any particular box. I just stuff my lunch in whatever generic gladware or plastic baggie I have and go. :smile: Keep it up! I'm gonna go back to lurkville now.
    You should definitely join in on the bento movement. ^^ The more the merrier!

I have thought about it. I've actually wanted to for a long time, but most of my lunches consist of sandwiches, salads or leftovers as they are cheap and easy, even if they don't always look appealing.
    No! come back! We don't want you to relurk! Kyoko-chan (who I'd think by now is the mascot of the bento thread), wants you to stay!
    2qjyempwhv07.gif

I'm still here, I just... don't have anything to contribute to this wonderful thread. See above about my lunches. *nods* I can totally contribute complements though. :smiley:
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have thought about it. I've actually wanted to for a long time, but most of my lunches consist of sandwiches, salads or leftovers as they are cheap and easy, even if they don't always look appealing.
    I'm sure you've seen pictures from lots of people packing sandwiches/rolls accompanied with salads as well as leftovers though! (They are actually pretty much what my bento always are accompanied by some onigiri here and there.) So if that's all that's stopping you, I still say join us! ^__^
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You should definitely join in on the bento movement. ^^ The more the merrier!

2qjyempwhv07.gif

I'm still here, I just... don't have anything to contribute to this wonderful thread. See above about my lunches. *nods* I can totally contribute complements though. :smiley:

Of course you have something to add! Almost every box I make includes a salad plus whatever I have around in the top. No big deal. Join us!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Okay... planning to get more into this after my trip to the store next week! They won't be fancy, mostly salads and some odds and ends, but it will be a start. I'm going to be looking for some better containers though so things, including some smaller ones to hold dressings, cottage cheese, and stuff like that.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    dcdlanhevnfe.jpeg
    Here are my bentos for the next couple days:

Gyro boxes

Layer one: gyro meat, tzatziki, and raspberries
    Layer two: salad with olives, feta, peppers, artichoke heart, carrots, tomato, onion and vinaigrette

I had a couple bentos over the weekend too but I didn't get pictures. One was BBQ beef with cherry yogurt and spicy pickles and the other was green curry egg salad and turmeric potatoes. Both had fruit and salad.

ur bento box look really yummmyyy!!!!
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Of course you have something to add! Almost every box I make includes a salad plus whatever I have around in the top. No big deal. Join us!
    I'm sure you've seen pictures from lots of people packing sandwiches/rolls accompanied with salads as well as leftovers though! (They are actually pretty much what my bento always are accompanied by some onigiri here and there.) So if that's all that's stopping you, I still say join us! ^__^

I have seen a lot of sandwiches/rolls and salads. Mine arn't nearly as pretty. *LOL* But I'll give it a shot. :smile:
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    But I'll give it a shot. :smile:
    Yay! ☆*:.。.o(≧▽≦)o.。.:*☆
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I was so inspired by this thread that I made my first ever Bentgo box for lunch this week (sorry for the photo quality):

w2ywf4tf26fm.jpg

Box 1- 152g spicy green beans with oyster mushrooms and sweet peppers
    2 clementines
    Box 2 - 124g coconut ginger rice with 5 teriyaki glazed sirloin meatballs
  • Editme12
    Editme12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was so inspired by this thread that I made my first ever Bentgo box for lunch this week (sorry for the photo

2 clementines
    Those meatballs look so good!!!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I have seen a lot of sandwiches/rolls and salads. Mine arn't nearly as pretty. *LOL* But I'll give it a shot. :smile:

Do you know the easiest way to make your salads look pretty? Right here! If you look at most of my boxes, they're filled mostly with par-boiled vegetables, put in without much thought (but some!), but mostly what makes them look purdy is the veg I've used the cookie cutters on. Carrots, cheese, broccoli stems, zucchini (if you do it raw in your salad) and lots of other veg can be done.

For sandwiches? Be neat with the fillings if possible, cut them in half, and place them cut side up in the box, showing off the filling. Oui la! Pretty looking sandwich in the box. For any other individually items, a lettuce leaf in the bottom box peeking up around the edges makes everything look fancy ;) .

It probably takes me about 2 minutes more to make my lunch look neat and tidy compared to just throwing everything in. Plus, practice makes perfect!
    Editme12 wrote: »
    I was so inspired by this thread that I made my first ever Bentgo box for lunch this week (sorry for the photo

2 clementines
    Those meatballs look so good!!!

I totally agree. Nomnomnom.
  • sagj
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Today's box (hot leftovers lunch):
    p4xgvs6qdxv6.jpeg

Lime pineapple chicken, green beans, fiesta corn, chipotle sauce, one peanut butter cup in the small green container and pineapple in another small box. Voilà, no bento box needed ;)
  • sagj
    Options
    zira91 wrote: »

ur bento box look really yummmyyy!!!!

Thank you! That combo was really good!

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Bento!! Shrimp, sushi rice, and edamame in the big tier. Orange slices, kiwi chunks (some star shaped), and half of a boiled egg (all egg shaped) in the small tier.
    0fpx5fh1brcb.jpg
  • sagj
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My bento today is a clone of yesterday (need to get groceries soon!) except I brought my stacking bottle bento with either raspberries or dark chocolate peanut butter cups in the sections. I don't always have a use for that box but when I do it is awesome! (it's like this one except a cute pikachu and apples<http://www.amazon.com/Skater-Neighbor-Totoro-Bottle-LRT3/dp/B00S0E9C0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453821056&sr=8-1&keywords=bottle+bento+skater&gt;
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Another lurker joining in.
    I received these boxes for Christmas and am finally putting to use. They were purchased from Amazon (basics).

5bx7zht66p89.jpg

Big compartments are all veggies.
    Smallest compartments are all chia coconut pudding with blueberries.
    Last compartment are different meat salads I made by blending with cottage cheese (for the protes). From Left to Right: Buffalo chicken, chicken with cranberries and pecans, and ham & pickle
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I finally remembered to take a pic in the morning, before it all gets eaten ^__^

fqzwa9pbbsk9.jpg

Today I had some home made chicken nuggets which I unfortunately over cooked when I was heating them up :( they were like bullets lol. There is also some broccoli with sesame oil and some polenta.

In the top its just salad with cucumber, sugar peas and cherry tomatoes and a hard boiled egg.

I also had a miso soup.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Tell your friends and family you are getting into Bento Boxes. Start looking where you normally shop. You will find all kinds of things you can use pretty resonallbly priced. Your friends and family will start giving you things. Put your normal lunch in a box to start.
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    oops
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker Italian chicken and peppers with frozen chicken and a rice vegetable mix that was from a frozen bag (rice was not worth it!) 382calories for lunch yesterday. cf03f0bc9bf47fb6514d23683cc3c26f.jpg

Two of my hubby's, yesterdays lunch was leftover creamy tomato spinach pasta, with mini meatballs. He said the pasta did not hold well :(e45a01295c5cd7345dd85018dd8ad907.jpg

And todays snack lunch box with tootie loops cereal, cinnamon sugar apple, triscuits, colby jack cheese and deli ham & chicken. 3d36575ff59c5ce4023febe7dfcb0714.jpg