It's only been two weeks but feels like an eternity

Options
I've been eating soooo well for 2 weeks straight. Avoiding additional carbs, no alcohol, healthy snacks staying within or under my calorie goal and going to the gym 5x a week. And now I'm frustrated. I feel like i should've losing faster but wow this is just slow and steady. I have a goal until March 17. When I go on vacation. Hoping to lose inches. How do you keep from getting so bored???

Replies

• DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not restricting the types of food I eat. I restrict calories but I still eat carbs, alcohol and ice cream. I'm losing slow but I'm not bored with my diet and I know I can maintain this lifestyle for the rest of my life.

ETA: Also, this might be dumb. But I keep repeating to myself "It doesn't matter what the scale says tomorrow. It matters what it says one year from today". I actually imagine myself standing at the scale one year in the future. With the weather outside being the same and my day's activities being similar and imagine what it will be like with a smaller body, in smaller clothes. it works for me to keep me motivated.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Where is the boredom coming from? What's going on in your life outside of additional carbs, no alcohol, healthy snacks staying within or under my calorie goal and going to the gym 5x a week?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    If you're bored with the diet, you're not doing it the right way. While restriction on calories should be the goal, absolute restriction of things you actually like end up being the reason that most people fail on their diets. Think about it: when vacation comes, are you going to let those back into your life? And if you do, the weight and inches can come back on in a matter of days. And usually people who restrict something they like and then have access to it, will undoubtedly consume excessive amounts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It is slow, but it is steady. I figured I could do this two ways: either lose 8 pounds quickly, then gain 5 back, lose 2, gain 3, lose 0, gain 2...for a net loss of zero...or I could lose 1 pound at a time for a net loss of about 15 over the exact same time period. I'm not frustrated, I'm very happy. But I don't over-restrict or over-exercise, just make good choices in moderation.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm not restricting the types of food I eat. I restrict calories but I still eat carbs, alcohol and ice cream. I'm losing slow but I'm not bored with my diet and I know I can maintain this lifestyle for the rest of my life.

ETA: Also, this might be dumb. But I keep repeating to myself "It doesn't matter what the scale says tomorrow. It matters what it says one year from today". I actually imagine myself standing at the scale one year in the future. With the weather outside being the same and my day's activities being similar and imagine what it will be like with a smaller body, in smaller clothes. it works for me to keep me motivated.

This is awesome.. As a person that's been losing slow and steady for 5 months, I needed to read that. Thanks :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    I've been eating soooo well for 2 weeks straight. Avoiding additional carbs, no alcohol, healthy snacks staying within or under my calorie goal and going to the gym 5x a week. And now I'm frustrated. I feel like i should've losing faster but wow this is just slow and steady. I have a goal until March 17. When I go on vacation. Hoping to lose inches. How do you keep from getting so bored???

How much weight do you have to lose?
    How much have you lost?
    What's with the time goal?
    How long did it take you to gain your excess weight?
    Do you have hobbies or interests or a job?
    Not understanding the boredom.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I knew that I wanted to lose weight the way I was going to maintain so I didn't attempt to restrict carbohydrates, avoid alcohol, only have "healthy snacks," and I set workout goals that I knew I could sustain for life.

You shouldn't feel frustrated. You should have things in your life that you can look forward to. Weight loss should be like normal life, only with fewer calories.

• Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Were you just as bored overeating? Don't forget portion control is your friend. Many foods taste the exact same even when you eat less of them. Actually those last two slices of pizza topping (cuz I don't bother with the crust anymore) don't taste as good as that first pointy bite.

I have actually had great satisfaction with a Happy Meal which has all that McD flavor but smaller portion.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

How much weight do you have to lose? I want to lose 12
    How much have you lost? 3
    What's with the time goal? by march
    How long did it take you to gain your excess weight? Due to stress in the last 2 years
    Do you have hobbies or interests or a job? I'm always busy
    Not understanding the boredom.
    bored of the food. I'm cutting SOME carbs.. If I do drink wine .. I tend to eat more with that wine.. that is the reason I need to cut it.. I know myself
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I do exercise that I enjoy, which gives me more energy to do other's things I enjoy. I eat foods I like, cooked and seasoned in a way I enjoy, and I log them to ensure I'm within my goals. Small changes are much more impactful than trying to change you life around in two weeks.
  • tracefan
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Were you just as bored overeating? Don't forget portion control is your friend. Many foods taste the exact same even when you eat less of them. Actually those last two slices of pizza topping (cuz I don't bother with the crust anymore) don't taste as good as that first pointy bite.

I have actually had great satisfaction with a Happy Meal which has all that McD flavor but smaller portion.

I'm with you on this.. however, I know myself. If for instance I eat one cup of pasta.. I will suddenly find myself eating more or having chocolate or chips after that. It's my own willpower that I need to control. Just bored with the food
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

I'm with you on this.. however, I know myself. If for instance I eat one cup of pasta.. I will suddenly find myself eating more or having chocolate or chips after that. It's my own willpower that I need to control. Just bored with the food

Try some wild'n'crazy new healthy foods? Work on the no or low cal seasonings?
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Stop buying them, or make just enough. I don't cook anymore than we are going to eat at a meal, or maybe enough for my husband to have left overs.
    I buy ice cream in individual packs, because i won't open a second one.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost in your two weeks?
    Why so restrictive? This seems like a recipe for a big blow out of a high calorie day!
    How much did you expect to be losing by March 17?
    Are you going to continue restricting yourself on vacation? Or are you going to eat all the food in sight and regain everything? The way you are going now, I can take a pretty good guess at the answer to this one.

Seems to me that between having high expectations and being overly restrictive, you are setting yourself up to fail. Have more patience, be more kind to yourself. Stop tormenting yourself.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    I keep from getting bored by eating whatever I want within my calorie goal and having the occasional beer or mixed drink. Usually I can resist that stuff because I don't like to drink my calories but I never tell myself I can't have anything. I had 2 Irish coffees last night and stayed under my goal. I helps to find healthy snacks you like. I love the fiber one brownies. They help curb my chocolate cravings and are only 90 calories. I also eat the chobani flips a lot. They have a lot of protein and satisfy my sweet tooth. I don't worry about carbs at all. Is I want then I eat them as long as they fit my calorie goal. If you restrict yourself too much you will have a hard time maintaining and are likely to gain it back. I can't imagine going the rest of my life on low carbs and no alcohol. I'm sure some people can and that's great but it would never work for me. I've been at it since September 25 and so far I am down 25 pounds. It doesn't seem like it has been that long. My advice would be to be patient. Weight loss shouldn't happen overnight. You should really only expect to lose 7-10 pounds by March 17. Good luck and don't give up.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't get bored because I am spending so much time looking for new , healthier recipes to make for my family. I am totally not a risk taker, but have tried a lot of healthy alternatives.

Also, I still eat the foods that I like, I have just learned to eat them in moderation.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Losing slow and steady is a good thing though. And you did lose weight which is great! If you're looking to lose 12lbs over about 11wks, maybe that goal is a bit steep. People who don't have much to lose should really aim for .5lbs/wk.

I really wanted to comment on you mentioning the pasta leading to chips, ect. My own experience with pasta, bread, rice has been....once I eat it it triggers me and I just want more. I never feel full either. I don't think it's good to restrict foods, but when I started losing weight I cut that stuff to only a few small servings a week, and started eating higher protein/fiber instead. It got rid of those mad cravings, and....I stayed very full. I'm eating them more often again now, but don't have that feeling of it setting me off anymore. Just my thoughts....

As far as food boredom goes, I think we all get into ruts like that. There are loads of great ideas on the threads here for snacks/meals to switch things up. That's one reason I like snooping in people's food diaries. It gives me new ideas. :smile:
  • tracefan
    Options
    I have a family.... I can't stop buying. Husband eats!
    glitzy196 wrote: »

Stop buying them, or make just enough. I don't cook anymore than we are going to eat at a meal, or maybe enough for my husband to have left overs.
    I buy ice cream in individual packs, because i won't open a second one.

• tracefan
    Options
    I'm not completely restrictive however.. like you I'll keep eating the "good" yummy stuff. my treat is mixed nuts.
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Losing slow and steady is a good thing though. And you did lose weight which is great! If you're looking to lose 12lbs over about 11wks, maybe that goal is a bit steep. People who don't have much to lose should really aim for .5lbs/wk.

I really wanted to comment on you mentioning the pasta leading to chips, ect. My own experience with pasta, bread, rice has been....once I eat it it triggers me and I just want more. I never feel full either. I don't think it's good to restrict foods, but when I started losing weight I cut that stuff to only a few small servings a week, and started eating higher protein/fiber instead. It got rid of those mad cravings, and....I stayed very full. I'm eating them more often again now, but don't have that feeling of it setting me off anymore. Just my thoughts....

As far as food boredom goes, I think we all get into ruts like that. There are loads of great ideas on the threads here for snacks/meals to switch things up. That's one reason I like snooping in people's food diaries. It gives me new ideas. :smile:

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be a little boring, imho. If food is too exciting to us, we eat more of it! I like being more bored with food than I used to be. It takes a little while to kick in, though. I thought the beginning was the hardest part.

But you will have to learn how to have less of some of the same foods you want to eat again. I understand trigger foods (Nutella isn't allowed in my house unless it's the little hotel pack), but do think of what you'll want later and practice having less or having it less frequently. You don't have to start now, though. I do think the cravings get much better after a period of restriction for lots of folks, me included. I did that with sweets! And I still don't plan pasta often at all, because I don't like the real portion size, lol.