still hungry after 1500 calorie breakfast, what am i doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The OP came here for help. To see if we could help her figure out why she is feeling hungry. I do not know of a single instance where insults have ever helped anyone lose weight, although I know hundreds of instances where insults have spiraled people into retreating and stop trying. I would hope you've received more support than you are willing to give dear.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nobody *actually* needs a 1500 calorie breakfast. That is insane unless you are doing an ultramarathon or similar.

The OP is tiny. She would probably be more than fine on 1000-1200 calories/day if she were eating in a reasonable way.

I am nearly a foot taller, very active, and I often eat in that range--without feeling hungry at all.

Some people are just gluttons and it is purely a mental health issue. Maybe the solution is to get out of the house, stop thinking about food and DO something productive that doesn't involve eating.

That is extremely presumptuous about ones 'need' for a specific calorie range. There are days where i can eat my entire alloted calories in one sitting. Thats about 2500 calories. In fact, i have had days where i can down 15 oz of sirloin, a 300g baked potato, a salad and still be hungry. Did i need to eat that, no, but my body was starving and i fed it. And i am not a marathon runner and in fact barely do cardio. Weight training, sets my hunger through the roof and it took me time to figure out the types of food to combat that. But even then, i can eat an absurd amount of food. And yes, i have had 4000 to 5000 calorie days of very nutrient dense foods.

Most likely, the OP just had a very hungry day and needs to figure out some volume foods to address her needs on these types of day.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Nobody *actually* needs a 1500 calorie breakfast. That is insane unless you are doing an ultramarathon or similar.

The OP is tiny. She would probably be more than fine on 1000-1200 calories/day if she were eating in a reasonable way.

I am nearly a foot taller, very active, and I often eat in that range--without feeling hungry at all.

Some people are just gluttons and it is purely a mental health issue. Maybe the solution is to get out of the house, stop thinking about food and DO something productive that doesn't involve eating.

This is BS.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

And some people are just judgmental and can't see outside their frame of reference.
    I am also very active and taller and have experienced hunger within that calorie range.
  • QueenBee0413
    QueenBee0413 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Its all in your head. Get out of your kitchen n drink a gallon of water. Chew gum. Take a walk. The only thing wrong is that you keep shoving food down your gullet. Letting food control you.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

1st- Up your fiber. You have NO fiber at all in your breakfast, aside from one apple. Oatmeal, wheat toast, brown rice, red beans (red beans make a great breakfast food, surprisingly) are all great high fiber foods. (Also, ditch the instant oatmeal. Get real whole rolled oats, they take just as long to cook in the microwave as the 'instant' stuff.)
    2nd- Ditch the red meat. Hamburger is protein, sure, but it's also high fat, high calorie. Tomato sauce, too, is high in sugars that you don't need. The eggs are all the protein you need.
    3rd- Add a hot drink, like a cup of herbal tea. The heat will sooth you, and the liquid will help you feel full longer.
    Aim for about 300-400 calories, mostly from high fiber and protein foods.

Then- Get out of the house, go away from the food. Go for a walk, go shopping, go to the mall, go to the library. Go anywhere but where the food is.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a 400 cal breakfast (after which I didn't feel full) and then a 300 cal snack a couple of hours later (after which I didn't feel full) followed by lunch a couple of hours after that.
    I now eat a 700 cal breakfast, which completely satisfies me and I don't need a snack before lunchtime.

Its the same number of calories, but I prefer to eat them all at once.

I guess the point that I'm making is that if you had sat down to eat a bigger breakfast you might not have eaten all those calories in one go.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

That seems presumptuous and unkind. She hasn't mentioned what her goals or physical activities are, for all you know she ran a marathon yesterday.

OP, have you been overly restricting your calories and undereating? Have you been exercising a lot? Hormones? (Pregnant? That time of the month?) Drinking enough water and fluids? Enough fibre? Is this a one-off or does it happen regularly?

There is a difference between feeling satiated and full. Are you actually truly hungry or do you just feel like eating? Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference.

• srturco
    srturco Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    let me be the fourth person to say: fiber. Beans are your friend
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Wow. You do know that there are people suffering from eating disorders/severe disordered eating that varies on both spectrums, right? Seriously judgmental of you to assume that they aren't being "productive."

I think netting extremely low is just as bad as overeating.
  • rachfking
    rachfking Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This sounds like hormones - they treat we women very unfairly sometimes! When I was breastfeeding my children, my hormones switched off my 'full' button. Not to say I was always hungry, but I couldn't rely on my stomach to tell me when I over ate.
  • rachfking
    rachfking Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Needless to say, I gained weight, despite all the calories supposedly burned by producing milk!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Pregnant??

Same guess here.
  • Nicolery9
    Nicolery9 Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

That seems presumptuous and unkind. She hasn't mentioned what her goals or physical activities are, for all you know she ran a marathon yesterday.

OP, have you been overly restricting your calories and undereating? Have you been exercising a lot? Hormones? (Pregnant? That time of the month?) Drinking enough water and fluids? Enough fibre? Is this a one-off or does it happen regularly?

There is a difference between feeling satiated and full. Are you actually truly hungry or do you just feel like eating? Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference.
    Height: 5'1 (very small frame, asian)
    "Natural weight" is about 90 (at 95 I have noticeable belly fat still)
    I am around 110 pounds now (although with food and probably extra water weight, bloating, about 115 or so)
    Goal: Lose the stomach fat, under 100
    I try to jog 5 miles like 3-5 times a week
    Non-exercise activity level: sedentary (I work in front of a computer all day)
    Average calories: I used to be fine on 1200-1400 but lately I've been ravenous and eating like 1700 per meal and still not feeling full

I didn't get a chance to read every reply in detail but I'm going to try to skim through what everyone wrote.

I am a little over 110 pounds now (although a few days I weighed myself after eating a lot of food and I was probably bloated from all the sugar I ate and I weighed 118). Now I have a protruding belly and look a bit chubby, my goal is to just get rid of the stomach fat, however much that takes (probably under 95-100 pounds). My "natural" weight is about 90 and I still look normal (even at 95 pounds I still have a bit of belly fat that sticks out. I am 5'1, asian and small frame), (honestly, I would like to be at 90 but don't bash me for that, I would be happy though if I can get to 100).

I did a 4 day fast before new year's, and I think I restricted too much, and I took a diuretic pill. And during the fast I also exercised to try to lose the weight faster. One day I only ate some grapefruit and was at 200 calories. In the 2 weeks after new year's I had some massive binges where I ate 3000-4000 calories and gained 5 pounds net, I am guessing the binges had something to do with it. Also I experimented with eating only eggs/grapefruit for a while. Then I noticed whenever I eat a lot of sugar I feel hungry, so probably my restriction and the fasting made me more sensitive to sugar. Before I didn't have that problem.

Everything was fine through the end of September, I was doing 1200-1400 calories and working out regularly and had gotten down to 103 gradually and didn't have a problem keeping it there and keep going gradually, but then I did something stupid and tried to lose weight too fast, and got down to 97 in like 2-3 weeks. I got sick and for the first time ever, my period was delayed by about 2 weeks. Then I also got a cold around that time, and couldn't work out then. Then I gained some weight after Thanksgiving, so I tried to lose that again, I think I had one big binge but I managed to drop some weight, then I tried to lose the weight for New Year's.

I'm not pregnant. I was supposed to get my period about New Year's but didn't get it again until today, probably because of the fasting. I hope it has stabilized slowly, but I'm still eating more than normal.

How long will it take to stabilize so that I can 1200-1400 like before and not feel hungry?

Total I ended up at 1750 calories, more than what I was hoping to do. I tried to stop after the breakfast but at about 5 PM I ate some stuff that totaled over 300 calories. I thought about just not eating anything else the rest of the day but wasn't sure if I should do that, to skip the "meal". Sometimes I have this mindset where if I skip a meal then I will binge more later, or that it's not good to feel hunger. Should I have eaten anything more after my huge breakfast?

I went shopping today for food at walmart and picked up some slimfast (8 bottles of it, and another 12-pack of an Equate equivalent which was cheaper), and a bunch of frozen meals. I'm hoping this can help me portion out the foods better. Basically I'm supposed to drink 2 slimfast a day, and eat a 500-calorie meal, and then 3 100 calorie snacks.
    So tomorrow I am going to try to do something like this:

slimfast 190

snack: pear 100

fridge meal: chicken / rice 500

snack 100

slimfast 190

snack 100
    Vitamins 2 15
    calcium 15

So I hope that I can make it 1210 tomorrow, and maybe get in a 5-mile jog.

• Nicolery9
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Well I don't need to feel full but I felt hungry and I hate that feeling. Is it supposed to be like that? I was trying to let my natural body system guide me to eat until j was full if I am eating healthy and I Feel like I am doing something wrong

If you want to let your "natural body system" guide you, fine, but that means you have to let go of whatever emotional issues you have about feeling hungry. You ate 1400 calories for breakfast, with an enormous volume of food. Nobody physically needs to eat that much.

Being hungry is not some terrible thing. It's just another bodily sensation, like having to use the bathroom. No one exactly lives for bathroom time, but nobody's on the toilet every fifteen minutes to make sure they never have to feel like their bladder's full, either. If they were, you would probably think that was pretty odd behavior, and yet here you are eating 1400 calories at a time so you don't have to feel like your stomach might not be full. Whatever it is that's making you do that, that right there is what you're doing wrong.

I saw some videos on youtube about "intuitive eating" where your body will let you know when to stop eating, but I guess it doesn't always work the way it's supposed to.

How do I know if it's real hunger or not? It really felt like I was hungry and I can't distinguish it from "fake" hunger.

• Nicolery9
    Options
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    Have you either been working on losing weight steadily for a while, or are you possibly recovering from an eating disorder? Both these things can sometimes make one desperately hungry and inclined to eat hugely. (on top of previous posters' suggestions of TOM hunger or possible pregnancy).

I believe in the case of a person recovering from an eating disorder, it is OK to eat like this for a short time to heal the body.

I guess I could possibly be recovering from a "eating disorder" because of the fasting and restricting too much. I just want things to go back to normal, the "massive" 2x a day binges have stopped where I was eating up to 3500 calories a day. Now I can control it to keep it to under 1800 or so, but I just want it to be back to "normal" which was like 1200-1400 for me and still not feel hungry. I think I don't know how to eat normal anymore.

Now, whenever I seem to eat some sugar, it seems like I go into a sugar rush mode and I can't stop eating things in sight. I noticed this when I had some chocolate toffee snacks at work, gourmet popcorn, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, frozen yogurt, basically anything sugary. Potatoes seem to be fine, after I ate some sweet potato today the fullness started to kick in. But the sugars seem to make me really hungry and trigger a chain of endless eating, and I didn't have this problem before. I probably threw off some balance in my body with the fast and restriction, I just want it to go back to normal now, where I can eat 1200-1400 calories/day and run like 5 miles a day and lose 1-1.5 pounds/week and keep it off forever. I don't have a problem keeping up with the running lifestyle change but now all my efforts are being offset by my poor diet so it's not having any effect and I keep having the mindset that I can eat even more because I worked out so it's like I'm working out 400 calories but then eating 600 of it back so the net result is that I'm gaining. I hope that by drinking the slimfast for a while will give me some structure to my diet. I just don't have any structure and yeah I think there is probably some mental thing going on where it's all in my head, and I'm hoping to break out of it.

Well, tomorrow morning I will have my first slimfast shake so we'll see how that goes, if I can stick with it or if I will fall off.

Thanks for all the responses.

• ElizabethOakes2
    Options
    Thanks, Nicolery.
    That explains a lot to me. Fasting is really really really, and I can't stress this enough, really really bad for you. Period. It may help you feel like you're getting a jump-start on any weight loss, but honestly, you're just starving your body of the nutrients that it needs. It messes up your sugar levels, your insulin levels; basically all kinds of things just go haywire.
    Slimfast and other 'nutrition shake' diets don't teach you healthy eating or help your body adjust to healthy eating. They're quick fixes. I'm really concerned that with your 'shake and low-calorie diet, you're going to just exacerbate the starve/binge reflexes that you're having.

So, according to your post, you feel that you're about 20 pounds over your natural weight. I'm wondering if you really need to be dieting/fasting at all, or if you can just stick to a reasonable healthy diet and add some strength training and cardio to shape your body?
  • Nicolery9
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Hmm, how long have you been counting calories? The reason why I ask is because you said you're 5'1" and have a petite frame which I take to mean as you possibly being within a normal weight range but trying to lose a few vanity pounds. Is your weight loss goal too aggressive? If so, that could be a reason for the hunger also.

I'm 5'3.5" and 114 and you sound like me in mid-December. There was one week where no matter what I did I could not stop feeling hungry. I normally did fine on my daily allowance of 1600 to 2200 calories depending on my activity level, but that week hunger was just at the forefront of my life. I was eating 3000 to 3500 calories per day easily. I figured my body was telling me something so I went with it and ended up maintaining my weight for a week or two instead of gaining. Then the insatiable appetite just stopped. It went back to normal and now I'm losing weight at a slow and steady pace again.
    I've been fine since early 2004 on 1200-1400 calories or so.
    Yeah that kind of sounds like me.
    Ive had like at least 5 days where I was eating 3500-4000 calories, and I just ate until I was overstuffed thinking that my body was telling me I need to eat and something is not right, although when it still kept happening for a while I thought it wasn't normal but I didnt know how to stop it. So I hope that stops now too and I can lose weight at a steady rate again too.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    Options
    When was the last time you had lab bloodwork done? It could also be that your thyroid is off?
  • Nicolery9
    Options
    I was wondering, what is the lowest # of calories that I can eat/day that isn't unhealthy?

If I do 1000 calories/day is it too little? Is 800 too little? For me 1200-1400 worked before but I wonder if I can eat less by cutting out more empty calories (on the 1200/day I would eat cookies, coke, etc. still and everything was fine)
    Assuming I am still getting all my nutrition through the foods I eat, is there a certain # of calories I must eat a day so I don't have issues like my period stopping, etc.