blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    And just in time for the holidays...

ChristmasBump.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    LOL. I disagree about some of this. Sticky status? Meh.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Any doubt, assume a scam.

Guilty until proven innocent.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Anything that requires you to do nothing but something easy, like "lose weight by sitting on the couch" or "lose weight by breathing a certain way"... The real ones that work best are the ones that are clearly hard like Insanity and p90x
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Add: Has been featured on the Dr. Oz show.

Don't forget sold by beachbody, or food babe.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbb.org/blog/2015/01/the-skinny-on-weight-loss-scams/

If you made a resolution to shed a few pounds this year, don’t be fooled by get-slim-quick pills, powders, or juices. It may be tempting to think of slathering on a cream or drinking “detox” tea to drop a size, but all you’d likely lose is money.

How do you avoid being taken in by ads claiming you can lose weight quickly? We pulled together three weight-loss scams that fooled hundreds of thousands of consumers in 2014, and we put together tips to help prevent you from wasting cash to fulfill your resolution this year.

The FTC continues to crack down on fad weight-loss products. Marketers of Sensa advertised that dieters could “sprinkle, eat, and lose weight,” but the FTC ruled that the claims were unfounded. On December 10, the FTC announced that refund checks from Sensa’s $26 million settlement were being sent to consumers who purchased Sensa products. Those eligible will receive a check amounting to around $54.

“Resolutions to lose weight are easy to make but hard to keep,” said Jessica Rich, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, in a 2014 release. “And the chances of being successful just by sprinkling something on your food, rubbing cream on your thighs, or using a supplement are slim to none. The science just isn’t there.”

In April of last year, the BBB serving Connecticut aided in another diet product investigation. Up to 400,000 users of LeanSpa were eligible to receive a refund from an FTC settlement for false “acai berry” and “colon cleanse” weight loss claims. The company, which charged buyers $79.95 for a “free trial,” is now no longer in business, after being forced to surrender assets valued at between $5.9 and 7 million to pay the settlement.

Makers of homeopathic HCG drops are the latest to settle false weight-loss advertising claims. HCG, a hormone produced during pregnancy, commonly used to treat fertility issues, according to the Mayo Clinic. It’s not FDA-approved for over-the-counter use, and has been found to have no scientific evidence for weight loss. Side effects for diets containing HCG products have been reported to be swelling, fatigue, restlessness, fluid buildup, blood clots, and hormonal issues in men.

Makers of homeopathic HCG drops are the latest to settle false weight-loss advertising claims. HCG, a hormone produced during pregnancy, commonly used to treat fertility issues, according to the Mayo Clinic. It’s not FDA-approved for over-the-counter use, and has been found to have no scientific evidence for weight loss. Side effects for diets containing HCG products have been reported to be swelling, fatigue, restlessness, fluid buildup, blood clots, and hormonal issues in men.

Users of HCG Platinum drops were promised they’d shed between 43 and up to 50 pounds by placing the product under the tongue before eating very low-calorie diets. The drops were labeled “homeopathic,” meaning they contained diluted HCG in levels that were undetectable.

“Fad weight-loss products like HCG drops come and go, but consumers shouldn’t be fooled by their empty promises,” stated Rich on December 11. “The foundation of successful weight loss is to eat a healthy diet and to increase physical activity.”

To help avoid losing money to a weight-loss scam, the FDA advises consumers to look for the red flags that a product won’t do what it claims.

Weight-Loss Scam Warning Signs:

Quick-fix promises, like “lose 10 pounds in one week!”
    Language like “scientific breakthrough” or “guaranteed”
    Products marketed through mass emails or in a foreign language
    “Herbal supplements” claiming similar effects to FDA-approved or prescription drugs

Losing Weight Without the Scams:

Check with your doctor or registered dietician about losing weight healthfully or introducing dietary supplements.

Visit bbb.org to check the company’s BBB Business Review for a record of consumer complaints.

Go with your gut. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Be wary of big claims. If the product promises to help shed an unrealistic amount of weight very quickly, it’s probably a scam.

Avoid the extreme. Look for phrases such as “quick and effective” and “totally safe.”

Be skeptical about testimonials. Don’t trust stories of fast weight loss or incredible results from using diet products.

If you’d like to report an online diet product you believe may be tainted, the FDA urges you to report that information. Be sure to check bbb.org for news of weight-loss product claims, to file a complaint, or to find out more about businesses you can—or can’t—trust.

• MeganMcBane
    MeganMcBane Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

I have to disagree with this one. I don't know what food babe is but I've lost a good amount of weight completing Beachbody's programs.

They are not a "scam" and claim to help you lose weight while doing nothing. All of the programs are challenging and you have to work hard and commit to completing them. I am currently doing Insanity and it is the most challenging workout I've ever done.

And no, I am not a Beachbody coach.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I have to disagree with this one. I don't know what food babe is but I've lost a good amount of weight completing Beachbody's programs.

They are not a "scam" and claim to help you lose weight while doing nothing. All of the programs are challenging and you have to work hard and commit to completing them. I am currently doing Insanity and it is the most challenging workout I've ever done.

And no, I am not a Beachbody coach.

Yes, I was talking about Shakeology. Not the workouts.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite video response to things like this.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Lose weight just by walking!

Oh yeah, it does mention "Participants also followed the meal plan included with every TreadClimber" at 00:30 in tiny, hard to read letters at the bottom of the screen.

That wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? Maybe eating less than they are buring? Nah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqnVszE8QEE
  • littleb0peep
    littleb0peep Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Does it sound too good to be true?
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Anything that tells you to take something, while eating a balanced and/or low calorie diet. Isn't the purpose of taking something, to begin with; so that you don't have to change your diet?
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, if it sounds too good to be true, it isn't true. There is no substitute for eating a good, well balanced diet with the appropriate amount of calories for your weight and activity level and getting off the couch and moving your body enough to get your heart rate up to 60%-80%. Save your money for good food and a membership to a gym.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My favorites are the scams that say in fine print "as part of a diet and exercise regimen", as if that's just a minor part of it and the scam pills, drink, etc is the major contributor.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options

There's some good programs on beachbody. I don't do shakeology but some people swear by it. But the workout dvds and even 21 day fix which gets you on board with proper portions, are great.
  • findingmyway2fit
    findingmyway2fit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Someone I have been friends with for years has pretty much stopped talking to me now because I refuse to buy into the program she's used to lose 92 pounds (Isagenix). Sorry, but not eating for 2 days to "cleanse" does not sound appealing and apparently I'm poisoning myself by using whey protein that doesn't come from some special type of cow in New Zealand. :p
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    My favorite: "...................lost weight with no change to diet or exercise while taking___________"

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »

There's some good programs on beachbody. I don't do shakeology but some people swear by it. But the workout dvds and even 21 day fix which gets you on board with proper portions, are great.

+1/2.

I think the portion control piece of 21DF can be a good tool for people (like me) who need more structure than an IIFYM-type approach (I have not purchased the containers from BB; I Googled until I found the measurements). However, I believe the clean eating/food lists go unnecessarily overboard. I also love their workouts. That said, many of their supplements are chock full o' woo, and I'm just not sure that the workouts balance out the woo.