Good calories vs bad calories

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

Pretty awesome. Yeah I can't imagine I'd really want to repeat that experience too often either

@_Terrapin_ , I believe Twix are produced on equipment shared with peanuts.
    hmm. . . . . . .shared equipment. Must find answer. . . .
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Omg I officially dislike this app and the poor advice that people on here give. There is more to weight loss than just the number on the scale. Body composition is only determined by the foods you eat. You can lose weight by a calorie deficit but you will not be toned, shredded etc. You will be skinny fat if you eat crap food. Please refer to this link to better understand why what you eat is just as important as how much you eat. You have to be in deficit to lose weight, but you have to have a well balanced diet to lose fat instead of muscle.

http://comfortpit.com/the-truth-about-calories/

Flexible dieted all the way to my profile pic. HTH
    t3gY3Pz.jpg
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    skysiebaby wrote: »
    You may have seen a story doing the rounds about a teacher who lost 56lb eating nothing but McDonalds? I thought it was quite appropriate for this discussion, so I'm just gonna leave this here as I think it sums up some of this debate perfectly, especially the sentence at the end. Link to the full article below.

"What did the experiment prove? That it’s acceptable to live off fast food? No. It reinforced what research and science has stated all along: caloric intake and expenditure are critical for weight loss and health.

Regardless of Cisna eating 540 straight meals at McDonald’s, his health markers improved. Here are the improvements he made in the first three months:
    Cholesterol: started at 249 and lowered to 170
    Triglycerides: from 156 to 80
    LDL: from 170 to 113

Those are terrific improvements in 90 days and you cannot claim he’s not healthier as a result of the experiment.

And why are some people so upset? Because he “didn’t do enough” and should have eaten real foods? Come on, people. You’re missing the point entirely.

It likely would not have been practical for this gentleman to eat nothing but real food every day for every single meal without fail for six months straight.

People shouting that this doesn’t prove anything are missing the forest for the trees. How many millions of people in the United States alone are obese or overweight? If you think the answer is to tell everyone to trade their morning McDonald’s meal for a homemade omelet and cook dinner from scratch when they’re used to going out to eat is going to work … well … it hasn’t yet. And for most people it won’t.

Demonstrating, as Cisna did, that it’s possible to lose weight and improve your health eating McDonald’s provides real world application for many people.

Dr. Brad Schoenfeld said it well in response to criticism of the experiment:

“The point is to show that if you reduce calories below expenditure, you’ll lose weight regardless of (and despite) the nutritional components. I’ll also add the most important aspect of any diet is adherence. Sure, it’s nice to speak of ideals. But what good is giving someone a “healthy” nutritional approach if they don’t follow it?”

Well said, doc.

It’s not always about what’s “ideal”. It may have to be about what’s doable for the individual at first."

http://www.niashanks.com/teacher-lost-weight-eating-mcdonalds/

He was fairly conservative in what he ate at Macca's and started walking for 45 minutes everyday which I guess was the whole point of the experiment, that macca's isn't all big hamburgers with bacon and smothered in cheese and that macros can be met.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/01/06/mcdonalds-nutrition-fast-food-mcdonalds-menu/4339395/

He had two Egg White Delight McMuffins, a bowl of McDonald's Fruit & Maple Oatmeal and 1% milk for breakfast and, typically, a salad for lunch. Then, at dinner, he'd often have a more traditional Value Meal. He also adopted a new exercise regimen of walking 45 minutes daily.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You may have seen a story doing the rounds about a teacher who lost 56lb eating nothing but McDonalds? I thought it was quite appropriate for this discussion, so I'm just gonna leave this here as I think it sums up some of this debate perfectly, especially the sentence at the end. Link to the full article below.

"What did the experiment prove? That it’s acceptable to live off fast food? No. It reinforced what research and science has stated all along: caloric intake and expenditure are critical for weight loss and health.

Regardless of Cisna eating 540 straight meals at McDonald’s, his health markers improved. Here are the improvements he made in the first three months:

Those are terrific improvements in 90 days and you cannot claim he’s not healthier as a result of the experiment.

And why are some people so upset? Because he “didn’t do enough” and should have eaten real foods? Come on, people. You’re missing the point entirely.

It likely would not have been practical for this gentleman to eat nothing but real food every day for every single meal without fail for six months straight.

People shouting that this doesn’t prove anything are missing the forest for the trees. How many millions of people in the United States alone are obese or overweight? If you think the answer is to tell everyone to trade their morning McDonald’s meal for a homemade omelet and cook dinner from scratch when they’re used to going out to eat is going to work … well … it hasn’t yet. And for most people it won’t.

Demonstrating, as Cisna did, that it’s possible to lose weight and improve your health eating McDonald’s provides real world application for many people.

“The point is to show that if you reduce calories below expenditure, you’ll lose weight regardless of (and despite) the nutritional components. I’ll also add the most important aspect of any diet is adherence. Sure, it’s nice to speak of ideals. But what good is giving someone a “healthy” nutritional approach if they don’t follow it?”

Well said, doc.

It’s not always about what’s “ideal”. It may have to be about what’s doable for the individual at first."

He was fairly conservative in what he ate at Macca's and started walking for 45 minutes everyday which I guess was the whole point of the experiment, that macca's isn't all big hamburgers with bacon and smothered in cheese and that macros can be met.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/01/06/mcdonalds-nutrition-fast-food-mcdonalds-menu/4339395/

He had two Egg White Delight McMuffins, a bowl of McDonald's Fruit & Maple Oatmeal and 1% milk for breakfast and, typically, a salad for lunch. Then, at dinner, he'd often have a more traditional Value Meal. He also adopted a new exercise regimen of walking 45 minutes daily.

And also see the Twinkie diet
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Well said, doc.

My understanding was that the Twinkie diet was a demonstration that you could live in a so called food desert and still maintain a healthy weight with the foods available.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Well said, doc.

My understanding was that the Twinkie diet was a demonstration that you could live in a so called food desert and still maintain a healthy weight with the foods available.

he lost weight and had improved health markers...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Well said, doc.

Exactly, so it was a successful demonstration! :)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Well said, doc.

and on the payroll of Coca Cola...
    http://transparency.coca-colacompany.com/health-professionals-and-scientific-experts
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Well said, doc.

http://transparency.coca-colacompany.com/health-professionals-and-scientific-experts

Do you think the results were manipulated or faked?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Well said, doc.

So what? Does not change his results....
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options

Well said, doc.

So? This is a classic fallacy to paint the results as tainted through guilt by association when they have nothing to do with the results. He wasn't conducting academic research but demonstrating a point.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    And none of that affects the fact that you can't lose more weight eating 1400 calories of "healthy food" versus 1200 calories of "unhealthy food".
  • ndj1979
    Options

Well said, doc.

So? This is a classic fallacy to assume that source money taints the results that are clearly true.

This, unless @Gianfranco_R has some evidence that said study was falsified????
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Well said, doc.

So? This is a classic fallacy to assume that source money taints the results that are clearly true.

No, nothing like Super Size Me that's for sure.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    crickets.....

Well said, doc.

crickets....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    And none of that affects the fact that you can't lose more weight eating 1400 calories of "healthy food" versus 1200 calories of "unhealthy food".

It depends on how you are using the word "eating". If you mean the stuff we can track (food that is swallowed) then it's not impossible that you could lose more on 1200. If you mean the more intangible calories absorbed from food, then 1200 would always win.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

It depends on how you are using the word "eating". If you mean the stuff we can track (food that is swallowed) then it's not impossible that you could lose more on 1200. If you mean the more intangible calories absorbed from food, then 1200 would always win.

It's rather unlikely that a non-extreme difference in foods would lead to enough energy wastage so you'd measurably lose more on 1400 than 1200.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wow...
    How am I just now showing up to this party?

OP,
    A calorie is a unit of measurement for the amount of energy your body can get out of food.
    If you eat 100 more calories than you burn, your body will store those extra calories as fat (to use later if needed).
    If you eat 100 fewer calories than you burn, your body will get the extra 100 that it needs by pulling them back out of the fat stores.
    That is how weight is lost.

Your body does not say "this is a Twinkie. Send it to the hips."
    Your body does not say "this is a carrot. Use it and then burn some fat in celebration of carrots."

Your body DOES say "this is energy from food. I will use it." Or "this is energy from food that I don't need. Store it for later."

The associations we place on foods that are fried, processed, clean, dirty, good, bad...they're just concepts that exist only on our minds.
    Your body doesn't care how your food is made or what label is assigned to it.
    Your body only cares about what's in it.

So to specifically answer your specific question:
    If you eat 1200 calories from processed, "junk" foods, you will lose more weight that day than if you had eaten 1400 calories from "clean" foods like vegetables because at the end of the day, your body had to pull 200 more calories out of storage than it would have had you eaten 1400 calories.

That said, that doesn't mean that you should go on the Twinkie diet or eat nothing but candy.

A calorie deficit is all that is needed for weight loss but weight loss is not all that is needed for good health and/or body composition.
    You need protein to retain muscle mass.
    You need fats for brain health, hormone production, vitamin absorption, joint health and a host of other things.
    You need carbs (sugar is a carb) for energy.
    You need vitamins and minerals for all kinds of health benefits.

But still, eating enough of these things that you need to be healthy does not make you lose weight faster.

Your weight may affect your health but it is not determined by it.

Now...on to see if there's any derp in this thread which I may care to address since I'm so late to the party...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

It's rather unlikely that a non-extreme difference in foods would lead to enough energy wastage so you'd measurably lose more on 1400 than 1200.

Maybe. I really don't know what the variables between people eating the same foods would be. But a diet of mostly fast food and junk food vs. a diet of mostly meals from whole natural ingredients is pretty extreme. A 200 calorie difference in that case would not shock me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Maybe. I really don't know what the variables between people eating the same foods would be. But a diet of mostly fast food and junk food vs. a diet of mostly meals from whole natural ingredients is pretty extreme. A 200 calorie difference in that case would not shock me.

Now who is being intentionally obtuse. It's not would someone eating "junk food" would eat more, it's would someone eating 1400 calories of "good calories" lose more weight than 1200 "good calories". I have seen several studies looking at the thermogenic effect of food, and none of them remotely come close to equaling a 200 calorie difference between processed food and non-processed food.