Venting a little read at your own risk!! lol

Options
1234568»

Replies

• 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    hmmmm, I like my Dance 2 wii, I break a sweat so...and I record only my HRM calories burned
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Read the description for "sedentary." Its a desk job. You walk 10 minutes to get out of your house, to your car, into your office and back.

If your description of sedentary is correct, NOBODY on MFP would qualify as sedentary. They should then set their lifestyle to "lightly active." Which counts in things like short 10 minute walks.

Thats where you are wrong, sorry.

The Harris-Benedict equation which MFP uses for it's calculations defines sedentary as "bedrest."
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    You clearly did not understand what's what because the very description of sedentary says "bank teller or desk job" not "literally sit in a chair all day then go to bed."

We aren't complaining about the fact that people log it. We are complaining about the fact that people log their ten minute walks, not their olive oil, and then complain in posts and comments on our home pages that they aren't losing weight. You are completely missing the point of EuroDriver's first post. If they want to be precise and log every little thing, great. But if they aren't losing weight and the complain about it constantly in the mesage boards and their status' that shows up on my home page, then it is my business to give them the "kick in the butt" they asked for which is a reality check that their lifestyle probably includes light cleaning and a short, slow walk. I want my MFP friends to succeed and when the reason they aren't is that they are making excuses by trying to log things like that then eat back those exercise calories in addition to their normal calorie goal, it is upsetting and I am not doing my job as a friend if I don't try to help by pointing out something they could do to lose weight and reach their goals.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Look at MFP settings and read the description for sedentary. And like I said, even if it is "bedrest," then nobody I have seen on MFP qualifies. Thus they are at least "lightly active."
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Read the description for "sedentary." Its a desk job. You walk 10 minutes to get out of your house, to your car, into your office and back.

If your description of sedentary is correct, NOBODY on MFP would qualify as sedentary. They should then set their lifestyle to "lightly active." Which counts in things like short 10 minute walks.

The Harris-Benedict equation which MFP uses for it's calculations defines sedentary as "bedrest."

Just to clarify, MFP uses Mifflin-St. Jeor equation.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options

My bad. Mifflin-St. Jeor uses the same definition though.
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options

Here is a fact: it's 'lose weight', 'losing weight' not 'loose weight' or 'loosing weight'.

Sometimes mine is pretty loose. :tongue:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Is this thread STILL going?? Jeepers Creepers. :noway:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Awww, man!! So even if it's a rough trip to the toilet, I still can't count it??
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options

My bad. Mifflin-St. Jeor uses the same definition though.

actually, according to mifflin, sedentary means little to no exercise, so it would include desk jobs.
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html

in the grand scheme of things, our activity level is just one factor that affects our progress here. if people are not losing in the way they're expecting, then they're accountable to themselves to examine why... whether it's because of recording food or exercise incorrectly, activity level setting, metabolism issues, or other reasons. if they are our mfp pals and want our opinions why they're stalling or going up, then that's when i'd give some feedback. however, i don't believe it's appropriate to pass judgment on those we don't know, and make blanket generalizations about their motivation or commitment
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    I can see your point...to an extent. Have you ever tried the Wii boxing or any of those exercise games?? Don't knock them until you've tried them. Secondly, some people may never even have the motivation to clean or even do a 10 minute walk so by doing these things and logging it and seeing some calories burned may be a motivational tool for these people. Maybe it encourages them to say to themselves "Hey, I burned those just by cleaning, I wonder what I could do if I did more?" Maybe they use these as stepping stones to eventually progress to more physical activity. I know your frustrated and I totally understand where you are coming from, but unless you are in their shoes, you shouldn't really judge. :noway:
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options

As for the guy saying this is the wrong forum/website/app for me if i want real fitness motivation etc.. then sorry I read the name of this site??? MY "FITNESS" PAL... or am i wrong??

No you are right My Fitness "Pal", but your rant is anything like a PAL. Try some motivating words next time and I did read through all your posts and I'm sorry, but if you are bright enough to learn four languages you are bright enough to spell your words correctly and use proper grammer and punctuation. Again I hope you stay healthy and fit and never have to experience having to take baby steps to get your health back.

To all of you who are trying no matter how small your victories, keep at it and don't let folks drag you down with their insensitive posts.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I...might be missing something here. I was sure you can't see an exercise log until one of your friends posts about it. So then it shows up in your feed on your friends' page. Correct? If so..so what all of you are saying is that you laugh and or eye roll or whatever it is you do when you see someone on your friends post their activity?

Why don't you just hit that handy dandy delete button?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If someone's food diary is open, you can scroll to the bottom and check their daily exercise.

I do log ten minute walks. Sometimes it's part of my warmup and cooldown from a run. Sometimes it's walking the dog. I don't personally know anyone who logs the cumulative number of minutes they walk going to and from the couch, bathroom, fridge and microwave. My friends come in all shapes, sizes, ages and abilities, and they all kick *kitten*!

I logged an hour of gardening yesterday. I was pruning an invasive vine with loppers. It was majorly overgrown because a bird was nesting in it and I wanted to wait until the fledglings left before chopping it down. I filled two large 50 gallon bins packed solid with branches. If anyone doesn't think that's a workout, they're welcome to come and do it for me next time!
  • Lovelystrumpet
    Options
    I'm a believer that it all adds up and every little helps, so what if one day you only wash the car and do some hoovering..successful weight loss is all about being steady and incorporating lifestyle changes so you won't just put all the weight back on as soon as you finish dieting. Yes, by all means you need to do exercise ADDITIONAL to day to day life, but I don't see a problem with logging them both.

MFP also says you must record every single thing you consume over a day, such as the oil used for cooking, and sugar in your cuppa or whatever, so why should the exercise rule be any different?

I think it's discouraging and needless of the original poster to be judgemental and scorning of people's diaries, every single person on here is an individual and doing their weightloss journey their own way - and from what I can see from everyones tickers, they are being successful. We don't all have equal lifestyles, and there is no need to be negative about someone for not being as 'motivated' or as 'good' as you think you are. Yes, it will take longer to lose weight by doing silly menial everyday activities, and you won't become 'ripped' or develop abs of steel, but at the end of the day, EVERY LITTLE HELPS.