Eating poop for weight loss?!?!

Options
I keep coming across these articles about a new trend in eating other people's freeze dried poop in capsules for weight loss. They say the idea is that thin people have different bacteria in their gut than obese people, and therefore obese people could benefit from eating thin people's poop.

Is this for real???? Has anyone else ever heard of this? I can't imagine that anyone would want to do that, but I guess maybe people get desperate and will try anything?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ac5cfc8d22a2718b04e6d5696446eaa0.jpg
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wendy77685 wrote: »
    I keep coming across these articles about a new trend in eating other people's freeze dried poop in capsules for weight loss. They say the idea is that thin people have different bacteria in their gut than obese people, and therefore obese people could benefit from eating thin people's poop.

Is this for real???? Has anyone else ever heard of this? I can't imagine that anyone would want to do that, but I guess maybe people get desperate and will try anything?

The fact that you have to ask if it's real is rather frightening!
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    :|
  • fitmumnz
    fitmumnz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sounds unusual... don't think I would be keen on eating someone elses poop lol
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I have to ask...what sorts of publications are you reading that you keep coming across these articles?

(I may be sorry I asked)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's for real that somebody sells them for weight loss.

It's for real that some digestive conditions are being trialled with fecal transplants.

Zero evidence to say it will aid weightloss.

On that note though I have a limited daily fresh supply which I have a waiting list for but I may jump you up the queue if you pay your own shipping ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Where do you keep coming across these articles? I'm pretty in touch with current diet and fitness industry goings on and do a lot of reading and whatnot in regards to diet and fitness...I've never come across such articles. You must be searching some weird *kitten*...pun intended.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Fecal transplants are a real medical procedure performed for people who have serious GI problems to re-establish a healthy gut biome, but they're performed by doctors and via the more, uh, logical route for getting things in to the intestines, and don't involve eating poop.

This sounds like a very sketchy and gross scam playing of people's misunderstanding of research around the role of gut flora in health.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I actually saw someone link that article on Facebook, but couldn't bring myself to read it. I'm sure there are now thousands of desperate overweight people out there popping poop capsules.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I have to ask...what sorts of publications are you reading that you keep coming across these articles?

(I may be sorry I asked)

Wondered the same thing... never have I ever come across an ad selling ' diet poop capsules' .
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options

(I may be sorry I asked)

exactly what I was thinking!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I read it on medpage.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-.gif
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely disgusting! No thank you.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    w6wuoq62f0ie.jpg
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Fecal transplants are a real medical procedure performed for people who have serious GI problems to re-establish a healthy gut biome, but they're performed by doctors and via the more, uh, logical route for getting things in to the intestines, and don't involve eating poop.

This sounds like a very sketchy and gross scam playing of people's misunderstanding of research around the role of gut flora in health.

Thank you for providing a factual explanation. As far as the OP, goodness, I can't believe the things people write and even worse, the things people believe. Not sure what these "articles" are but I'd not even waste a second reading them.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    The Doctors TV show did a segment on it. All the docs said they believe it will work.
    I thought I was watching Dr. Oz for a minute there...
  • tracymn925
    tracymn925 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lol Im seriously gagging right now.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Agreed.