Eating poop for weight loss?!?!

Options

Replies

• DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It totally works! Just the idea makes me sick, I've completely lost my appetite!
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cooking-with-poo.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I would be worried about diseases that can be transmitted via fecal-oral route. Some examples: c. Diff, hepatitis a/e, cholera, typhoid fever, e. Coli, tape worms, the list continues. You can bet a company that is looking to make money from this, is likely not following good screening practices for these diseases.

fecal transplant is a common treatment for c diff

Fecal transplant is different than consuming feces. It is also regulated and performed under a physicians care. Very different scenario than consuming feces from a company.

It's actually not that different under similar conditions. Are there companies selling poo capsules? I couldn't find any on a quick search. Or are you talking hypothetically?
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Wendy77685 wrote: »
    I keep coming across these articles about a new trend in eating other people's freeze dried poop in capsules for weight loss. They say the idea is that thin people have different bacteria in their gut than obese people, and therefore obese people could benefit from eating thin people's poop.

Is this for real???? Has anyone else ever heard of this? I can't imagine that anyone would want to do that, but I guess maybe people get desperate and will try anything?

The fact that you have to ask if it's real is rather frightening!

It actually IS a real thing.... Disgusting and awful, but true :(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Substitute the word "poop" for intestinal flora. And yes it is a thing. Which is showing results.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-gut-bacteria-help-make-us-fat-and-thin/

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/328/5975/228.abstract

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Dr. Elaine Yu of the Massachusetts General Hospital is conducting a six week study this year.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    92gvryf2r9oq.jpg
  • clin71funyika
    clin71funyika Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What the hell
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes, I've heard of it in cases of people who have extreme issues in that they have no intestinal "flora" at all. I've not heard of it being used for weight loss.

It is not something I would ever consider for weight loss. If someone I know thought it was something to try, I'm not sure it's something I would support, but would tell them to have a SERIOUSLY long conversation with a qualified Bariatric Doctor on the pro's and con's of something like that before making any decisions.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Probably not considered "clean eating".
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Nanogg55 wrote: »

:p
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Nah, that crap is just way too processed.
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options

It probably plays well with intermittent farting tho
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Are you *kitten* me? What a load of crap. Total BS. This diet isnt worth the crap it refers to.

Question...would you actually eat poop? Think about it.... If it looks like *kitten* and smells like *kitten*...it is *kitten*.
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the old eat tapeworms to lose weight gross bs
  • sparrish531
    sparrish531 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
  • MommaRou56
    MommaRou56 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this so I had to google it. It's real and seems legit. From the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2016/01/14/eating-poop-pills-could-make-you-thin-seriously/
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Not sure what I expected when I clicked this thread.

• Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Found the listing for the doctor episode about it, it aired today.
    galkik50g12d.png

And i thought the idea was just full of crap.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Will cat poop work? I'd like to make money selling it. My cats eat clean purina cat chow.