Eating poop for weight loss?!?!

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've seen a scientific article reference the reverse condition, where a woman with C. difficile gained weight after a fecal transplant from someone overweight. My guess is that someone decided if a change in gut bacteria could help you gain weight then it follows that the right gut bacteria could help you lose weight. Maybe. But it's also possible that this first woman gained weight because she finally had a properly functioning digestive system.

Then again, if someone gave you a fecal transplant containing a good dose of C. difficile, maybe you WOULD lose weight.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Fecal transplants are a real medical procedure performed for people who have serious GI problems to re-establish a healthy gut biome, but they're performed by doctors and via the more, uh, logical route for getting things in to the intestines, and don't involve eating poop.

This sounds like a very sketchy and gross scam playing of people's misunderstanding of research around the role of gut flora in health.

Thank you for providing a factual explanation. As far as the OP, goodness, I can't believe the things people write and even worse, the things people believe. Not sure what these "articles" are but I'd not even waste a second reading them.

I have Crohn's and I know quite a few Crohn's and ulcerative colitis people who have had fecal transplants but it was to treat c diff
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I will sell you my poop!
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Holy crap!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    magtart wrote: »
    Holy crap!

There has been no double blind study on holy crap to my knowledge o:)
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am betting that none doctor selling of poop in any form probably has some legal ramifications. Biohazard and all that. For gut health I have heard of doctors doing so.
  • MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I googled it, and this is just one of the articles I found talking about a new study to see if it would help with weight loss. It is different than what has been done for years with fecal transplants, this would be taking it orally in capsule form for weight loss. They haven't started the study yet, but it looks like you can still sign up! haha https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/should_you_eat_poop_to_lose_weight/
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Op, I'm very interested in this new breakthrough. Please give it a try and report back. I may join you should the results prove to be correct.
  • Wendy77685
    Wendy77685 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have to ask...what sorts of publications are you reading that you keep coming across these articles?

(I may be sorry I asked)

exactly what I was thinking!

I actually read about the study in an article I just cam across randomly in Women's Health Magazine. Then I googled it and then a lot of other articles came up, so I was wondering if anyone else had heard of it too - BECAUSE it sounds crazy to me that anyone would fall for that or do that in reality. BTW I was in no way referring to the actual medical procedure many of you are referring to, I am aware of fecal transplants, and these are two different things...
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It looks like we have plunged to new depths with this thread

post-28688-deep-sea-base-jumping-gif-jump-ut2X.gif
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Fecal transplants are a real medical procedure performed for people who have serious GI problems to re-establish a healthy gut biome, but they're performed by doctors and via the more, uh, logical route for getting things in to the intestines, and don't involve eating poop.

This exactly! I can also confirm that I have read up on this while having a lot of digestive issues. It's relatively new from what I understand and is a much more efficient than taking probiotics as the bacteria is added right to where it is needed and not destroyed by the digestive enzymes. There are also billions of probiotics in a healthy digestive system. Many more than you will find in any probiotic pill.

BUT it is for people with digestive issues. I think it's a little extreme for weight loss lol. But im no doctor/scientist/poopologist
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    This idea is apparently being tested. And if a company got wind of the trials it wouldn't surprise me that they are selling it. I didn't see anything for sale online in my 20 second search though.

http://www.sciencealert.com/human-trials-will-test-freeze-dried-poop-pills-as-a-weight-loss-treatment
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Wendy77685 wrote: »
    I have to ask...what sorts of publications are you reading that you keep coming across these articles?

(I may be sorry I asked)

exactly what I was thinking!

I actually read about the study in an article I just cam across randomly in Women's Health Magazine. Then I googled it and then a lot of other articles came up, so I was wondering if anyone else had heard of it too - BECAUSE it sounds crazy to me that anyone would fall for that or do that in reality. BTW I was in no way referring to the actual medical procedure many of you are referring to, I am aware of fecal transplants, and these are two different things...

It's actually not all that different if the capsules are coated with something that will not dissolve until it's moved far enough along in the gut.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I would be worried about diseases that can be transmitted via fecal-oral route. Some examples: c. Diff, hepatitis a/e, cholera, typhoid fever, e. Coli, tape worms, the list continues. You can bet a company that is looking to make money from this, is likely not following good screening practices for these diseases.
  • c_l_phillips72
    c_l_phillips72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If all I had to do to drop pounds was to choke down a couple poop capsules, I'd be in.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I would be worried about diseases that can be transmitted via fecal-oral route. Some examples: c. Diff, hepatitis a/e, cholera, typhoid fever, e. Coli, tape worms, the list continues. You can bet a company that is looking to make money from this, is likely not following good screening practices for these diseases.

fecal transplant is a common treatment for c diff
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Fecal transplant is different than consuming feces. It is also regulated and performed under a physicians care. Very different scenario than consuming feces from a company.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Yes, a fecal transplant using feces from an individual with healthy gut flora, which is administered by a physician and has been properly screened for communicable diseases, is a common treatment for C. diff.

C. diff is a fecal/oral route disease. Which means you can get it by ingesting fecal matter with the C. diff bacteria. Elphie was saying that a company looking to make a buck selling *kitten* capsules for weight loss is probably not going to be screening said *kitten* very carefully for communicable diseases.