Considering Creatine

Options

Replies

• RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't find creatine useful either, but I know some people that will vouch for it so it can't hurt. I did retain more water on it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, creatine gives me the worst stomach aches.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. I decided I'm going to give it a try. I'll be getting BulkSupplements Pure Micronized Creatine, it had the highest rating on lab door.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone, good luck with your respective goals.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

How do you take your creatine? I find that if I mix it with my oatmeal it works best for avoiding digetional distress.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

How do you take your creatine? I find that if I mix it with my oatmeal it works best for avoiding digetional distress.

I mix mine in with my morning coffee. I drink my coffee, eat my breakfast, and have no issues.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Does that work well for you? I usually eat some oatmeal with protein powder in it after my workouts. So that'd be an easy way for me to take the creatine.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I mix mine in with my morning coffee. I drink my coffee, eat my breakfast, and have no issues.

Mmmmm coffee and creatine, on second thought not for me lol but you can certainly mix it with just about anything.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    The unflavored version is fine. When I had some fruity (mixed berry? fruit punch? I don't quite recall which) flavored creatine - no, not in the coffee.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Does that work well for you? I usually eat some oatmeal with protein powder in it after my workouts. So that'd be an easy way for me to take the creatine.

Works well, I usually have my oatmeal uncooked with yogurt. If you add it to your oatmeal and protein powder it shouldn't be an issue, I've done that before with cooked oatmeal and I just add about half a cup or so of milk.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When EAS was the first to manufacture and market creatine back in the 90s, I was an early adopter. I've never felt it necessary to buy anything other than just the white powdered form.

The loading phase and the cycling is very outdated information that was given as advice before more science was done on the stuff. (The inventor, Anthony Alameda had a hunch about the stuff, tried it on himself and was convinced, had a meeting with Bill Phillips the next day and the rest, as they say, is history.)

Anyway, I've used it on and off for years (when I've been on and off in the gym) to no ill-side effects -- and the pump is real.
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've just started taking a supplement because the products I use came out with a new line (whey protein shakes and all that). It's pretty delicious. I have noticed a fair amount of difference. Mainly I need to workout for longer and push through it. However if you take more than the minimum dose I have seen friends with great results for making gains.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    When EAS was the first to manufacture and market creatine back in the 90s, I was an early adopter. I've never felt it necessary to buy anything other than just the white powdered form.

The loading phase and the cycling is very outdated information that was given as advice before more science was done on the stuff. (The inventor, Anthony Alameda had a hunch about the stuff, tried it on himself and was convinced, had a meeting with Bill Phillips the next day and the rest, as they say, is history.)

Anyway, I've used it on and off for years (when I've been on and off in the gym) to no ill-side effects -- and the pump is real.

Ahh yes, good old EAS Phosphagen Creatine, couldn't mix it in anything and tasted like crap. The good old days!
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Ahh yes, good old EAS Phosphagen Creatine, couldn't mix it in anything and tasted like crap. The good old days!
    Everything tasted like crap back then. The whey protein? Yuck. I had to blend it with frozen fruit, yogurt, and whole milk just choke it down twice a day. PowerBars... more like buttock-flavored sawdust. I was kind of expecting the same-old-same in 2014, but supplement companies have made great strides in the flavor department since then.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Everything tasted like crap back then. The whey protein? Yuck. I had to blend it with frozen fruit, yogurt, and whole milk just choke it down twice a day. PowerBars... more like buttock-flavored sawdust. I was kind of expecting the same old same in 2014, but supplement companies have made great strides in the flavor department.

(In the voice of Monty Python characters) You had whey? We would have killed for whey! I only had Weider soy in deathray vanilla or rattlesnake venom choclate -- always go with the chocolate.
    Options

Everything tasted like crap back then. The whey protein? Yuck. I had to blend it with frozen fruit, yogurt, and whole milk just choke it down twice a day. PowerBars... more like buttock-flavored sawdust. I was kind of expecting the same old same in 2014, but supplement companies have made great strides in the flavor department.

(In the voice of Monty Python characters) You had whey? We would have killed for whey! I only had Weider soy in deathray vanilla or rattlesnake venom choclate -- always go with the chocolate.
    I never used any supplements before I started reading Muscle Media 2000, which just happened to be the marketing arm of EAS (since owned by the same entity). MM2K was a different mag from all the other body building magazines (even though Duchaine column was nothing but steroids), it didn't have obviously juiced bodybuilders on the cover -- which is what I had no interest in becoming -- so it seemed like a reasonable approach to bodybuilding and supplementation.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I never used any supplements before I started reading Muscle Media 2000, which just happened to be the marketing arm of EAS (since owned by the same entity). MM2K was a different mag from all the other body building magazines (even though Duchaine column was nothing but steroids), it didn't have obviously juiced bodybuilders on the cover -- which is what I had no interest in becoming -- so it seemed like a reasonable approach to bodybuilding and supplementation.

I think all the mags were just suppliment ads with some articles, just like Prevention magazine is for it's segment of sumpliments and alternative treatments. It's too bad, but how many articles do you really need on building killer arms? ;)
    Options

I think all the mags were just suppliment ads with some articles, just like Prevention magazine is for it's segment of sumpliments and alternative treatments. It's too bad, but how many articles do you really need on building killer arms? ;)

:D:D:D

Apparently, many. Bodybuilding magazines still turn out that flotsam with headlines like "build giant slabs of muscle..." in some kind of infinitely recycled roulette-wheel of only four possible headlines.

*Groan*
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Lulz... early 90's Weider chocolate mass gainer. I am pretty sure the last step on the directions stated: "Try not to puke!"
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Lulz... early 90's Weider chocolate mass gainer. I am pretty sure the last step on the directions stated: "Try not to puke!"

Yes, right after "Hold nose" and "Drink fast".
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Hmmm... I don't remember having any problems with the Vanilla Weider Mass Gainer back in the early-mid 90s. I don't remember it tasting good, but not particularly bad.

And I'm not sure if I want to know how nrg knows what buttock-flavored sawdust tastes like.