The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Completed the dreaded Big Ugly run, commonly referred to as 4 Hells ( or 4 Hills for the more politically correct ) by our running club members. My plan is to do 2 Hells as this is my last long run before my HM next Weekend so the Taper Begins. Started out at my House with a 4 km run to the base of the Hill - 8 km up/down - 1 km across town to #2 - 4 km up/down - 1 km to Java Domain for Java and Cinnamon Buns ( note the "S" ). Then a 4 km slow crawling run home. for 22 km total. ( ~13.6 Miles and 1500ft Vertical ) Killer on Quads. The members who completed all 4 came in at 32 km plus 700m Vertical Elevation ( ~20 miles and 2300 ft Elevation ). And yes I did have to drop into a walk on a few of the Steep pitches. Never any shame in a little rest/recovery walk.

exercise.png

Feel like I could Eat the Kitchen Empty.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Went for a slow 5km this morning... Shittiest run of my life!!!! :cry:

Splits were:
    1- 9:02
    2- 8:38
    3- 10:05
    4- 8:43
    5- 10:02

My shins are on fire!.. Every step hurt, even using the 4:1 method to give them a break! :angry: Think I need to drop distance again. Just when I think the shin splints are going away.. They come back. Feeling pretty frustrated.. I don't know what else to do about it now. I'm starting to doubt getting through the HM.. I'm only running 3-4 times a week, most of those runs are 5k.. With 1 longer run.. Most of my runs have 1 rest day in-between.. Think I'm just not made to run very often or for very long! My physio says I may just be a 5k runner.. That might be my bodies limit.. But the runner in me doesn't want to lie down and accept that! Lol.. Any advice?

I ran 5k in just over 30 mins yesterday at Parkrun.. Really sprinted the last 50 mtrs.. Maybe I overdid it there?

I was just thinking the other day too, how nice it would be to be able to run without compression sleeves one day. I honestly don't see that happening now. What a *kitten* day!! :angry:

January 2016
    02/1 – 13.02 – 1:50:10
    04/1 – 5.06 – pram
    06/1 – 5.01
    07/1 – 6.01 – 34:46
    09/1 – 10.02 – New Yr 10K – 1:11:58
    11/1 – 5.01 – pram
    13/1 – 7.02
    14/1 – 5.05 – shins very tender
    16/1 – 5.07 – in the rain :smile:
    19/1 – 4.00 – pram
    21/1 – 4.06 – 24:53 – Day 11 HM Training
    23/1 – 10.51 – 1:16:55
    24/1 – 5.00 – 32:40
    26/1 – 15.00 – 1:55:44
    28/1 – 5.35 – easy
    30/1 – 5.08 – 30:46 – Parkrun
    31/1 – 5.00 – slow – shins sore

TOT: 115.27 km / 90 km

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 It sucks. But I know it will work out somehow. I will look into the payment plan option. Honestly never even thought of that. I know a guy who may be able to help me do the stuff the bike needs to keep it on the road safely so I'll be talking to him asap. And I'm going to start scouring Craigslist and the second hand bike shops. Denver is such a cycling mecca that surely I can find something!

I was too emotional at first to recognize that there are options and alternatives. I'm realizing that January, historically, is a difficult month for me and that I should really just let myself coast thru it and keep my head down until Feb. Then I seem to get back on my feet and find my way again. Soooo, only a few more days!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Virkati - Sorry to hear about the bike. I hope you find a suitable option soon.

I have to wonder if when they said most people who finish C25K do not finish a 5k simply meant that those people just do the training and never run a 5k afterwards? Because I'm finding it hard to swallow that people are having trouble enduring a 5k after that training.

Long run of 13.2 miles today. I'm pretty pleased with the effort, but not sure if the pace is showing improvement or not. I would up at the same pace as my last HM back in September. So assuming I was not putting in quite the same effort as that race then I am faster. But I was pushing myself so that makes me wonder. I was slower on the last half mile so I don't have the distance at that pace just yet.

1/1 - 2.25 miles
    1/3 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - 6.5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles
    1/9 - 4 miles
    1/12 - 3.25 miles
    1/14 - 4.6 miles
    1/16 - 11.5 miles
    1/18 - 2.1 miles
    1/20 - 3.1 miles
    1/23 - 12.6 miles
    1/24 - 8.1 miles
    1/26 - 5.4 miles
    1/28 - 4 miles
    1/30 - 13.2 miles

88.7 of 50 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/30 - BattleFrog 8k obstacle course run (Kansas City, MO)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 - I hope you enjoy all your future hells! :lol:

@runner_girl83 - Have you been fitted for shoes at a running store? Preferably one that looks at your older shoes for wear patterns and maybe watches your gait on a short run?
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    1/1....................REST...................0.00
    1/2.....................16.00.................16.00
    1/3.......................5.00.................21.00
    1/4.....................REST................21.00
    1/5.......................7.00.................28.00
    1/6.......................5.00.................33.00
    1/7.......................7.00.................40.00
    1/8...................WEIGHTS...........40.00
    1/9......................16.50................56.50
    1/10......................5.00................61.50
    1/11....................REST...............61.50
    1/12......................6.00................67.50
    1/13......................4.25................71.75
    1/14......................5.25................77.00
    1/15....................REST...............77.00
    1/16.....................14.00...............91.00
    1/17.......................6.00...............97.00
    1/18....................REST...............97.00
    1/19.....................10.00.............107.00
    1/20.......................5.00.............112.00
    1/21.......................7.75.............119.75
    1/22....................REST.............119.75
    1/23.....................18.00.............137.75
    1/24.......................4.50.............142.25
    1/25....................REST..............142.25
    1/26......................10.00.............152.25
    1/27....................REST..............152.25
    1/28........................5.00.............157.25
    1/29........................6.50.............163.75
    1/30.......................10.00............173.75

exercise.png

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    May 14, 2016 Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50K (Portersville, PA)
    June 4, 2106 38 Mile NIght Fun Run (Kettle Moraine State Forest, WI)
    October 1, 2016 Cloudsplitter 100K (Pine Mountain, KY

• runner_girl83
    Options
    I'm still way behind on this thread, but trying to catch up..
    One thing that is worse than being between a rock and a hard place is being between a snowplow and an electric fence.

How did you manage this? :open_mouth: Sounds painful!!

@skippygirlsmom That medal is amazing! What an inspiring run that would have been! There should be more of those!
    Skipping my 5 mile run today, and playing my 18 miler this weekend by ear. I had some tightness behind my left ankle during my run yesterday, but didn't think much of it. Was significantly more sore after my run. Felt a pop of sorts in the ankle while resting yesterday evening, and now I have a large bruise over the area. Definitely has to do with the peroneal tendon, and I'm thinking it may have dislocated and then popped itself back into place (I have chronic ligament and tendon issues in my left ankle due to an old injury).

Downing the ibuprofen and taking it easy for a bit...

Ouch! Has this happened to you before? Really hoping some rest helps and the pain goes soon!
    Virkati wrote: »
    @karllundy @shanaber @Elise4270 @5BeautifulDays @WhatMeRunning
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes and everything. I must say the muscles are feeling extraordinarily better already after just one visit to the physical therapist. He did dry needle therapy, a slight chiropractic adjustment, and minor massage after the needle therapy. I was given 6 different exercises to do, and surprisingly 2 of them are targeting balance instead of specific muscles. It was explained that injury causes a lot of compensation from other muscles, your brain gets involved, and suddenly all sorts of things get wacky. The balance exercises are to re-train the brain that it doesn't need to "fix" anything and to go back to normal and let the muscles do what they are supposed to do without interference. Whodda thunk that?! I have to admit, I'm hopeful that I can get back to running a lot sooner than he was suggesting yesterday. Until my appointment though, I'm going to follow orders to the "T" cuz the sidelines suck!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery @Virkati ! Hope it is all sorted soon and you'll be back to it in no time!
    rune1990 wrote: »
    So completed my first 5k in about 37 min.

I'd like to yell it from the roof and knock on neighbors doors, but if my daughters reaction was indicative, I'll just stick with a discrete fist pump..and post it here :)

We all know that feeling! :smiley: Congratulations on your 5km!!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm lovin' ASICS right now. I had 300 miles on a pair of Gel Nimbus and noticed a hole developing inside, just below the achilles notch. I contacted ASICS, got an RMA and sent them in, including a note telling them about the mileage on them. I was hoping for replacements, of course, but I wanted to be upfront about how much they had been used. They said on the RMA form that running shoes are expected to only last 300 to 500 miles.

I just got a notice today that the replacement shoes are on their way. Thank you ASICS!

Woo! Can't complain about that at all! :smiley:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    We have plants/trees budding. I don't have any early flowers. But its not uncommon for all that to freeze this time of year. Today was 77, overnight low was 35.

I have my first ever group run in the AM! I'm nervous. I just keep think of it like a race. I just hate that I'll have too keep up and am not sure I can. I seem to be having GI issues. Self diagnosis is runner's colitis, or its NSAID's, or wheat.

My leg hurts. I feel like a baby. Ya know I can not walk without a limp/pain and I continue to run... I'm in a weird place.

I'm sure I'll feel better after tomorrows run and coffee. Love self doubt.

Hope your run goes/went smoothly (I think I'm behind.. so you have probably run by now lol) Did the icing help things?
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @runnergrl82 regarding your new shorts.....I have a surgical scar from hip to hip that is hypertrophic and itches if anything rubs it (did shots-less itchy). Do your new shorts lack a seem in the front? Ha ha! Cuz, I need some so I'm not trying to itch an insane itch that gets worse if its touched.... It can drive me mad. I think I may just ignore vanity and try a larger size, unless you are making MFP shorts :smiley:

Anyone? Favorite shorts?

qugy66pc5xvk.jpg

These are what I have come up with. I basically pulled an old pair of capris apart (they were pretty faded and the seams were starting to come apart), traced a pattern from them and shortened them to make shorts. I used Scuba fabric - feels thick, without actually being a thick fabric, it is just tight knit (if that makes sense lol) No sweat marks either! :smiley: The waistband is made from the same fabric, no elastic so they shouldn't rub I would think..

Only thing is I only have a pattern in one size :lol: I would love to make more sizes, though that will probably have to wait until after I do my next assessment piece as the due date is looming! Oops!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    [code]

And BOOM ... past the goal. I may do another 3 or so tomorrow because my only outside running these days happens on weekends. For February, my goal is to run shorter distances more frequently, and try to improve my speed.

Nice one!!!! :smiley:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I just came back from the bicycle doctor. My bike has received a fatal diagnosis which means that somehow, on my meager paycheck, I need to come up with the money to replace it because fixing it will cost (literally) just as much. If I don't, then signing up for the August triathlon was a total waste, AND it compromises my ability to follow instructions to NOT run. The stationary bike is the worst substitute for a real bike...even worse than a treadmill for running. Just can't do it. Sitting here trying not to cry. Can't run. Can't ride. And don't really know how to swim well enough to keep myself from drowning. Waiting for my friend to get with it so she can teach me to swim properly. To make it worse...it's 55 degrees and sunny. Supposed to get up to 60, stay sunny, with only 28% humidity. All weekend. Then we are expected to get hit with 12-18 inches of snow. Go figure. It's a pity party I'm having over here. But I hope the rest of you hit your mileage targets, are having a great weekend, and that it's a smooth transition to February!

oh! :hushed: Sooo soo sorry to hear about all of this! :frowning: Wish there was something we/I could do! Can a friend lend you their bike for a while maybe?
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    ...I can say that most runners I know who run road races, including those who run half marathons and marathons, started with some form of a 5K training program. Is that a more positive thought to focus on?

That's a brilliant way to think of it because I will be running half marathons and marathons. Maybe train the 10k first. Genetically I think I can do it, lol.

Funny this.. I ran my first full 5k non-stop (and the first pain-free too!)... and I went out a few days later and ran 7k (Told my head that if I can run 5, I can run 2 more!)... A week later, I ran 10k :wink:
    You can do it!!!!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    michable wrote: »
    My husband should have sent his last new pair of Asics back, along with the toenails they took off! I bought the shoes for him for his birthday, the same size he always wears, but they had discontinued his model, so I bought the next closest model that was recommended to me, and it turned out that they were a bit smaller in the toe box, because they bruised his big toe nails, and then of course, the toe nails fell off. It had never happened to him before. I felt really bad, and will never buy him running shoes again.

I thought losing toe nails was a badge of something for us....
    I lost a big toenail in December, but due to furniture falling on it, not running. Do I still get a badge? B)
    Because I don't want to try and repeat the accomplishment do earn the badge in a more runner-like way. It's still only one-third grown back, and even after nearly two month, looking at it freaks me out. Any shoes which do something like that to me would not be sent back, they would be soaked in gasoline, set on fire, and have their remains run over with my car. At the very least >:)
    One thing that is worse than being between a rock and a hard place is being between a snowplow and an electric fence.
    Do you speak from experience? Sounds scary! I've only done "between a row of thorny bushes and an electric fence", but at least the bushes where standing still and allowed my to weave my way past with only two zaps from the fence.

@Virkati Oh no, no running sounds really bad! Being sensible about it now is probably best to make sure you can enjoy the later month of the year, but I can see how it's really disappointing, especially when it gets in the way of your first half. And your dead bike on that is really a streak of bad luck. I feel so sorry for you! I hope your PT has good news for you on Monday!
    Elise4270 made a good suggestion regarding asking other cyclists. I don't cycle myself (apart from stuff like trips to the supermarket), but the true bike fanatics I know all have more than one bike - some "only" 2 or 3, one guy even sold is car so that there would be space in his garage for his seven(!) bikes. Maybe you can find a cycling club and ask around if someone would have a bike to lent, either for free to help you out or at least for a very small amount of money?

@3dogsrunning Wow, you probably got more tempo work in chasing your group than they did on the track ;-) Sounds like you are well ready for your 5k next week!

@JohnONE29 Kudos on the fast pace on your 10 miles! That's quite an impressive distance you've done this month.

@ceciliaslater The bruise on the ankle and possibly dislocated tendons sounds really painful. Take it easy, I hope you'll be better soon!

@rune1990 Your first 5k run, congratulations on reaching that goal! Non-runners probably don't get it, but I think that is absolutely awesome, way to go!!

@runner_girl83 You sewed your running shorts yourself? I'm impressed - the only clothing that ever came off my sewing maching are pyjamas, and it's a damn good thing they won't be seen out of my house, lol!
    I still haven't found any running shorts I truly like. I run in my comfy long sweats all year round, winter to summer, except for the really hot sommer days where even I have to admit that the shorts I own are the lesser evil...
    Sorry about the shin splints. Have you looked into doing exercises to strengthen supporting muscles (like here or here), or different running shoes?

@ddmom0811 If there is a pace group with your speed, I would go for it! I was thrilled to read that my HM in May will have pace leaders - until I realised the slowest ist for 2:10HM, while I'm aiming for a 2:45 min finish. Guess I'll have to let my watch and/or my legs do the pacing, as usual...

@Elise4270 Did you already have your first group run? IHow was it? I would be super-nervous before going to one as well (there are no running groups near me, so that won't be an issue anyway).
  • runner_girl83
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Unfortunately yes :smirk: Everyone has had me run in Asics, Brooks, Fila.. Nike Pegasus seems to be the only shoe that doesn't trip me up or give me knee pain. I have run in all 3 shoe brands above and had shocking knee, back and ankle pain.. I get shin splints no matter the shoe it seems. I also need to run in shoes where the toe is very low to the ground as I trip up so easily. I've worked on stride over the last few months and mid-strike over heel strike.. I ice my shins, massage them.. The compression sleeves help a lot.. I can't even begin to imagine how painful my legs would have been on this morning's run had I not worn them! I've been video-taped running at physio and my legs and feet land inwards (I'm pigeon-toed).. So I've been focusing on turning my feet out more when running over the last few months which has helped a little.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ah, I just realised I almost forgot this question
    michable wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ : I would love to hear how the flip belt and water bottle combo go.
    @michable I tested the combo during my long run today: The flipbelt is great! The water bottle was a complete fail:
    - can't put it against the back as the product sales pictures suggest you should do, because my big a** means it doesn't hang down flat, but rather is tilted forward so that the upper part pokes me into the back and chafes (to be fair to the bottle, it might still work for someone who's more slender than me)
    - can't put it to the front, or my legs hit against it as I run and slowly kick it out of the belt
    - can't put it to the sides, because then my arm brushes against it while I run, and that was extremely irritating
    In the end I settled for having it halfway between back and side and putting it in ~45° tilted sideways, if that description makes sense. That way, it annoyed me the least, but since it wasn't properly put through the belt, it fell out every few minutes.
    By the time I passed a trashbin around 90 minutes into my run, I was so fed up with the thing that I happily tossed it. I had a moment of feeling guilty about it when I came home - after all, it was new and I had just bought it. On the other hand, I can't see myself using the bloody annoying thing ever again, so R.I.P. weird belt bottle!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    ...I can say that most runners I know who run road races, including those who run half marathons and marathons, started with some form of a 5K training program. Is that a more positive thought to focus on?

That's a brilliant way to think of it because I will be running half marathons and marathons. Maybe train the 10k first. Genetically I think I can do it, lol.

I suspect they mean that most people never finish the 5K training program, and so never get to the point where they can actually run that far. I was running 10K in training before I ever ran a 5K race. If someone like me can run a half (and I intend to run the whole thing, and know I can!) I suspect most anyone can with training and no medical conditions. I don't know about marathons--that takes a special sort of endurance/speed that is out of the norm.

@runner_girl83 I think you can be more than a 5k runner--you just need to slow down (maybe slow down your speeding up?). Maybe you need to slow down on all your runs. I know that if I tried to do a sub-30 5K every few days at this point I'd probably wind up injured--but I can do a 2:24 20K and feel ok the next day. I think I'm a long-distance runner--but I'll never win my age group in any race (well, until I'm so old that I'm the only person, maybe!)

@Virkati you are not having an awesome week. I'm so sorry. I hope you can find a way to get a bike. It's awesome you're signed up for a tri--that's on my list of things to do once I finish the half.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    1/1 5 @ 10:36 on the treadmill
    1/2 4.75 @ 10:42 on the park trail (20.75/20 miles for the week)

1/3 5.25 @ 11:14 (5.0 @ 10:51, .25 walking) on the trails near my house
    1/4 10 @ 12:00 on the treadmill
    1/5 3 @ 11:14 on the treadmill and strength training
    1/6 Rest Day
    1/7 4.75 @ 11:53 on the park trail.
    1/8 3.5 @ 10:07 (3 at 9:48 and .5 at 12:00) plus strength training
    1/9 3.5 @ 12:22 (3 at 11:26, plus .5 at a walk)
    (30/30 for the week)

1/10 Rest Day
    1/11 10.75 at 11:46 around the park trails.
    1/12 3.25 @ 11:27 on the treadmill. Plus strength training.
    1/13 Rest Day
    1/14 5.0 @ 12:47 around the lake trail
    1/15 6.0 @ 11:00 (and .25 at a walk) on the treadmill
    1/16 Rest Day
    (25/25 for the week)

1/17 Rest Day
    1/18 5.25 (8K race) at the lake @ 11:14
    1/19 3.25 @ 10:44 on the treadmill and strength training
    1/20 12.5 @ 11:45 on the treadmill
    1/21 Rest day
    1/22 2.5 miles @ 13:00 around the neighborhoo
    1/23 Approximately 3.25 @ some indeterminate speed near 5 mph on the prehistoric treadmill in my basement
    (26.75/25 for the week)

1/24 2 hours of snow shoveling...aka "rest day"
    1/25 Approximately 5.0 @ ~11:40 on the treadmill (binge watching Arrow--Good show!)
    1/26 Approximately 5.25 @ ~11:40 on the treadmill...more Arrow. :) Don't know if I'll get a long run this week. I *never* want to run 12 miles on a treadmill *ever* again!
    1/27 Approximately 3.25 @ ~11:40 on the treadmill.
    1/28 Approximately 7.0 @ 11:50 on the treadmill.
    1/29 3.25 @ 11:10 on the treadmill *at the gym, finally*, and strength training. I am not going to make my weekly mileage goal, I don't think, but I should just squeak in at my monthly goal.
    1/30 5.0 on the treadmill @ 11: 19 (4.5 @ 10:56, .5 at a walk)
    Tomorrow is a rest day, so I'll see you all on the February Challenge!
    (28.75/30 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    February 14: Run Your Heart Out 5K, Fairfax, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL
    (Can't do my March races because I need to have surgery March 4. :( )

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The week isn't over yet, but tomorrow will probably be a rest day. No problem, since I didn't account for the fact that January has five "long run opportunities" (also known as weekends to other people) when I set my goal, so I've reached that already even without todays run.

Monday: TRX
    Tuesday: 6.8 km run
    Wednesday: 3.7 km speedwork on the treadmill, strength training
    Thursday: 4.7km run
    Friday: some stretching, strength training
    Saturday: 16.0 km long run - the training plan called for 14.5km, but I got lost midway. One of the exitements of having moved to a new area is discouvering new routes for my long runs! Now if only I would learn to pay a little more attention... It took nearly 10 minutes after the wrong turn until I realised that "sun on my left in the early afternoon" was not compatible with "home lies to the east of here", lol!
    I didn't mind getting lost too much. It was really warm today (10°C), all the snow has melted, almost looks like spring now! I really liked those trails I found today. They are about 6km away from my home, so I'll only make it there for long runs. Though even then they are still at the limit of my reach: my legs started to feel really tired for the last 1.5km. Or maybe that was just in my head, because I knew I should have been finished at that point..
    Sunday: will be sleeping and resting ;-)

vadc7v06t030.jpg

0y78jouxh5k9.jpg

---
    133.5km (of 110 km) done
    exercise.png
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    17 miles today. Super day in Ohio USA for a long run.