Toppings for sweet potatoes?

Options
I'm going to try meal prepping this week and want to incorporate sweet potato but I don't want to add butter. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Replies

• AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just mash it with some cinnamon or I may add a little bit of coconut butter
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Just some cinnamon and salt....don't need to add more. We then just mash it. The kids love it.

We can then use leftovers on tacos or burritos etc...
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil and cinamon
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I baked one today then cut it open and mashed a laughing cow cheese wedge in it along with a sprinkling of old bay seasoning. It was good.

I usually top it with some plain yogurt and hot sauce and whatever meat or egg I'm having that meal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. I've heard peanut butter is good, but not tried it myself
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, potatoes and sweet potatoes are just not the same unless having a bit of butter on are they? I have been allowing myself a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half of proper butter rather than do without or have a 'buttery' low-fat margarine. The satisfaction from doing this outweighs anything else and I just incorporate the butter into my daily or weekly allowance.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love them cut as wedges and dusted with chilli powder.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. I've heard peanut butter is good, but not tried it myself

I saw someone on mfp recommend pb on sweet potato a month or so ago. I tried it and promptly became obsessed with the combo. I don't think I've eaten this many sweet potatoes in my life as I've eaten since trying it with pb.

I also add a little SF maple syrup so that it's easier to be conservative with the pb.

• shawnathan9
    shawnathan9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and mash it up. o:)
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    ALMOND BUTTER! Peanut butter...coconut almond butter, cashew butter....maple syrup
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup... mmmmmmmmmmm (not sugar free)
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Teaspoon of brown sugar and cinnamon
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you like it savory, I add black beans and salsa to mine. Or a dusting of salt, pepper, cinnamon, and ground red pepper.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I limit the amount of sweet potato, then top with (measured) peanut butter and fresh or microwaved frozen blueberries. It's what I like.
  • squatdeadrun
    squatdeadrun Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like mine spicy so I cut into wedges and sprinkle seasoning over them and bake. My favorite seasoning is 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp cumin, and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I topped one with homemade chile con carne last night. OMG the combo of sweet and spicy was truly delish.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    White fleshed Japanese sweet potatoes with cinnamon, ginger and a little bit of light maple syrup for breakfast are my favorite or even with apple butter! ( no butter) Also sweet potatoes stuffed with vegetarian chile, or homemade BBQ sauce, black beans, or chick peas are so good! Or I also love Ms. Dash salt free Chile lime seasoning on them!

Additionally in the summers I like small orange fleshed ones with strawberries and blueberries for breakfast!
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    cryptobrit wrote: »
    I know what you mean, potatoes and sweet potatoes are just not the same unless having a bit of butter on are they? I have been allowing myself a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half of proper butter rather than do without or have a 'buttery' low-fat margarine. The satisfaction from doing this outweighs anything else and I just incorporate the butter into my daily or weekly allowance.
    Me, too. But after reading this, I may have to try the nut butters!

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I like them wedged, roasted and dipped in Sriracha.