If calories are king, I got a question

Options
If calories are king and all there is needed to lose weight is a deficit based on individual needs then would it matter if I eat all my calories in like 12 hours and stay food free for next 12 hours?

Example - I start eating at 10 am and stop consuming at 6 pm or so until next morning. (ate all 2400 calories) in that period and going by my day as is.

I workout out 5.30 am, so I'd be working with one scoop of creatine (5g) first thing on waking up and then protein shake and another 5g creatine. 200 calories. That's it and then I go back to sleep and eat breakfast at 10:30 am or so.

Any harm or foul in this?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It doesn't matter how you spread out your calories over the course of the day. Whatever works for you is fine.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Not if it works for you

It's a standard method, there are even groups for it on here

It's called intermittent fasting
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, it matters how much you eat over an extended period of time.

Eat whenever is convenient for you.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Well, you'll be asleep for 8 of those hours, too. To be honest, that sounds normal to me - just a slightly earlier dinner.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    The theory was that since body does most of the work whilst asleep, you need to go to bed on a full stomach so it'll have all the food required for muscle building so it doesn't go catabolic.

The other thing I read, if you don't feed it right before bed then it'll feed on existing Carbs, fats and what not and that's helpful for fat loss especially when I'd workout first thing in morning after fasting for so long?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    The theory was that since body does most of the work whilst asleep, you need to go to bed on a full stomach so it'll have all the food required for muscle building so it doesn't go catabolic.

The other thing I read, if you don't feed it right before bed then it'll feed on existing Carbs, fats and what not and that's helpful for fat loss especially when I'd workout first thing in morning after fasting for so long?

no. As stated, It doesn't matter when you eat, it matters how much you eat over an extended period of time.
  • viren19890
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

no. As stated, It doesn't matter when you eat, it matters how much you eat over an extended period of time.

OK thanks

So people raving about fasted state cardio and all is not credible.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

OK thanks

2014 study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4242477/

Doesn't make much significant difference whether cardio is done while fasted or fed.

Meal timing is insignificant too (for the most part) as others have touched on. Try to get some protein within 3 hours of your workout. Synthesis goes on for far longer than the myth would suggest.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think fasted cardio is done to train your body to be better at burning fat as fuel, which is a useful adaptation to make if you are an endurance athlete who is training for long-distance events where you will run out of glycogen. The benefit is training adaptation, not body composition changes or weight loss.
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For the last 7 months, I've been eating all my calories within a 4-hour period in the evening. Hasn't hurt my weight loss any. 70 lbs down since. :)
  • viren19890
    Options
    For the last 7 months, I've been eating all my calories within a 4-hour period in the evening. Hasn't hurt my weight loss any. 70 lbs down since. :)

Did it help ? or become better since you started fasting?
    Losing fat more than muscle would be hard to judge but did you notice a difference ?

I'm planning to incorporate HIIT into my life as well now.
  • viren19890
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I think fasted cardio is done to train your body to be better at burning fat as fuel, which is a useful adaptation to make if you are an endurance athlete who is training for long-distance events where you will run out of glycogen. The benefit is training adaptation, not body composition changes or weight loss.

yeah that's what I read too that- fasted workout burns more fat than anything else in the body. Plus fasting for more than 8 hours allows your body to deplete carbs and fats and then on top you workout and re-start again
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Four hours. Wow. Help me understand it. Why did you choose this, and how does it fit your overall lifestyle?
    I'm trying to picture it with my own lifestyle, and can't quite see it.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

yeah that's what I read too that- fasted workout burns more fat than anything else in the body. Plus fasting for more than 8 hours allows your body to deplete carbs and fats and then on top you workout and re-start again

Fasted-state cardio will train your body to be better at burning fat for aerobic exercise. It will produce an improvement in athletic performance. It won't make a whit of difference to weight loss, though.
  • viren19890
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

Fasted-state cardio will train your body to be better at burning fat for aerobic exercise. It will produce an improvement in athletic performance. It won't make a whit of difference to weight loss, though.

Better at burning fat would translate into less fat on body right? I mean considering I stay in a deficit?
    Also I'll be Weight training and not just cardio
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I lost over 120 pounds eating foods when ever. Guess I did it wrong.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

No it won't ..that has been debunked. There is no specific benefit of fasting over not fasting it's down to calories
    Trump2016 wrote: »

OK thanks

2014 study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4242477/

Doesn't make much significant difference whether cardio is done while fasted or fed.

Meal timing is insignificant too (for the most part) as others have touched on. Try to get some protein within 3 hours of your workout. Synthesis goes on for far longer than the myth would suggest.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Protein is the ONLY macro that builds muscle. As long as one supports correct protein ratio for their activity and work, then one doesn't have to do this.
    Fat is the primary fuel at rest. Even if you're not asleep. Link your sources for what you're reading. I'd like to see them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    I lost over 120 pounds eating foods when ever. Guess I did it wrong.

Did anyone suggest anyone HAS TO eat in an IF window in order to lose weight? That's what your logic suggests.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    No it won't ..that has been debunked. There is no specific benefit of fasting over not fasting it's down to calories

I think the benefits he was pulling can be attributed to the intensity levels and not much more:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0138853

But yeah, I'll stay firm per my previously linked study that fasted or fed is pretty much insignificant. Thanks for chipping in there.

Open to reading other studies that make the opposite case, though! I'm always curious about this stuff since I run a lot. Haven't found anything that stuck.