• bono6612
    bono6612 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bono6612 wrote: »
    cico.

weight is gained or lost in the kitchen

fitness happens in the gym

to massively oversimplify it.

Yes food is a massive part of weight, but so is exercise and the fitness is a reward the body will receive in due time. "If a runner eats 3000 cals and burns 1500 off, he's not going to put weight on! Just an example. Just don't think that promoting diet without exercise is the answer to getting healthy. Human beings were blessed with a huge thigh muscle to carry us around for miles and miles, we're built to exercise!

1500 is an awful long run. Hardly anyone burns that much from exercise in a day

Goodness sake....it's an.example!!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    cico.

Yes food is a massive part of weight, but so is exercise and the fitness is a reward the body will receive in due time. "If a runner eats 3000 cals and burns 1500 off, he's not going to put weight on! Just an example. Just don't think that promoting diet without exercise is the answer to getting healthy. Human beings were blessed with a huge thigh muscle to carry us around for miles and miles, we're built to exercise!

cico.

The issue is that in your original post, it seems like you are saying that exercise ( your example was a 30minute brisk walk), in and of itself, will produce weight loss. Which isn't true.
  • bono6612
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    100% calorie deficit for weight loss
    100% exercise for body comp and overall health…

not necessary to do both

Not necessary no, the point is to encourage those who might want to participate in some form of exercise regardless of size or age....but positive thinking encourages negativity in any blog!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    For me, long term weight loss and fitness success has required exercise. Yes, a calorie deficit is key blah blah blah but I want to look and feel good and that requires exercise. Thin and frail is not what I want to be and getting there wouldn't make the effort it takes to lose weight worth it. Healthy and strong is, for me, a much more worthwhile endeavor.
    =)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Give the OP a break. He is spreading a positive message. As Jack said, "Exercise is King, Nutrition is Queen, together they make a Kingdom..."
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I've gained weight running 60 miles a week

Because I ate 70 miles worth of food.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cico.

If someone wants to put examples out there no problem. The example needs to be in context though. Sure you can burn 1500 calories exercising above your base metabolic rate in a day buy it requires a higher level/amount of exercise than most people do.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm in no way against exercising. I train hard. It just doesn't cause me to lose weight unless I burn more than I ingest
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've seen both sides of the coin....

Failure:
    Working away from home I trained hard for 8 hours a week to help pass the time, got fitter and stronger but weight didn't change as appetite increased to cancel out the burn. I wasn't calorie counting and was having fantastic farmhouse breakfasts - yum!
    I've also failed numerous times over the years with purely dieting.

Success:
    Lost my weight with a very high exercise routine (over 250,000 cals just on cycling in last few years) plus calorie counting. Personally I find it much easier to maintain a calorie deficit whilst eating a relatively high volume of food earned in part through exercise, I feel far less deprived.

So for me exercise is just as important as the food side - it makes adherence far, far easier. Also my major goal is health and so both diet and exercise are equally important to me.

• bono6612
    Options
    Sounds like your doing really well on your regime. It certainly about what works for the individual. I find that normal calories together with 30-40 mins intensive exercise is working for me, not feeling the hunger after training. I am consuming high protein low carbs, so that may have an effect on my metabolism?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cico.

it is an example that not applicable to about 85% of the population as no one is going to go on daily run of 15+ miles ...
  • bono6612
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cico.

it is an example that not applicable to about 85% of the population as no one is going to go on daily run of 15+ miles ...
    Yes, I agree, I did rather over exaggerate the example....apologies!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    It is very hard to out exercise a bad diet.

Running 1 mile burns 125-150 cals. 1 doughnut is 250+ cals...1 bananna is around 100 calories. 1 tablespoon of butter/oil is approx100 calories.

Unless you're doing alot of intense cardio....exercise is NOT the answer.

A brisk 30minute walk will burn around 150 calories (a generous estimate too) Thats ONE of the following... half a doughnut, 1.5 banannas, 2 apples, 1 glass of juice, 2 small cookies, 4 oz of raw chicken breast withput the skin.

I can't be the only one that likes the idea of being able to add food (and stay in a deficit) by exercising. That was my thought when I read the title.

I do agree, food is the most important factor in weight loss.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    OP, I get what you are trying to say. Exercise is overall very important for a variety of reasons - as has been pointed out. Exercise alone may result in overfeeding to the point of undoing the calorie burns from that.

A more holistic approach considers both food and exercise.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Exercise alone may result in overfeeding to the point of undoing the calorie burns from that.

And you could also argue that exercise releases feel good endorphins that stop people from feeling miserable and depressed and wanting to stuff their faces. You can twist any argument!

OP well done on your lifestyle changes, on beating alcohol and on getting fit. Keep on keeping on! X

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/a-weight-loss-manifesto?cid=soc_Runner's World - RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner’s World__
    No reputable doctor or metabolism expert would ever suggest that exercise alone can stop obesity. It must be paired with a simple, healthful diet that focuses on a reduction of low-hanging calories—the high-fat and high-sugar ones. It's just that exercise has been undervalued, and diet overexposed. Consider diet's dismal track record. Why are we so intent on repeating past failures?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    cico.

You're taking extremes.

Most people probably burn around 200 to 300 calories daily in exercise. That is one slice of pizza. That's the point were trying to make. It mostly happens in the kitchen.

Then they aren't exercising much if that's all they are burning.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    cico.

cico.

The issue is that in your original post, it seems like you are saying that exercise ( your example was a 30minute brisk walk), in and of itself, will produce weight loss. Which isn't true.

That's the problem, that's not really much exercise, in fact, it only barely passes as a minimum.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Exercise alone may result in overfeeding to the point of undoing the calorie burns from that.

And you could also argue that exercise releases feel good endorphins that stop people from feeling miserable and depressed and wanting to stuff their faces. You can twist any argument!

OP well done on your lifestyle changes, on beating alcohol and on getting fit. Keep on keeping on! X

Thanks for taking my text out of context. It isn't about "twisting any argument" - typically, people that focus only on exercise and do not watch diet tend to overeat - it is a mid term response to exercise physiology - not argument twisting. This is why, time and time again, we see people load up on exercise, not see results and give up.

Again, I understand what the OP is saying. And obviously I'm all for exercise and activities (see my profile) but why not both? Be active, have fun and watch what you eat.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/a-weight-loss-manifesto?cid=soc_Runner's World - RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner’s World__

"No reputable doctor or metabolism expert would ever suggest that exercise alone can stop obesity. It must be paired with a simple, healthful diet that focuses on a reduction of low-hanging calories—the high-fat and high-sugar ones. It's just that exercise has been undervalued, and diet overexposed. Consider diet's dismal track record. Why are we so intent on repeating past failures?"

CI<CO that's the key for weight loss but exercise grants a lot more benefits than simply losing weight, in fact, for overall health exercise will give more than diet for quality of life but the biggest reason people exercise is for vanity i.e. to look better. That's a shame but people are far more motivated by looks than long term health but that's just the way we are.