• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    bono6612 wrote: »
    cico.

weight is gained or lost in the kitchen

fitness happens in the gym

to massively oversimplify it.

Yes food is a massive part of weight, but so is exercise and the fitness is a reward the body will receive in due time. "If a runner eats 3000 cals and burns 1500 off, he's not going to put weight on! Just an example. Just don't think that promoting diet without exercise is the answer to getting healthy. Human beings were blessed with a huge thigh muscle to carry us around for miles and miles, we're built to exercise!

You're taking extremes.

Most people probably burn around 200 to 300 calories daily in exercise. That is one slice of pizza. That's the point were trying to make. It mostly happens in the kitchen.

Then they aren't exercising much if that's all they are burning.

Wrong.

Great explanation -- not worth time to read.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cico.

Yes food is a massive part of weight, but so is exercise and the fitness is a reward the body will receive in due time. "If a runner eats 3000 cals and burns 1500 off, he's not going to put weight on! Just an example. Just don't think that promoting diet without exercise is the answer to getting healthy. Human beings were blessed with a huge thigh muscle to carry us around for miles and miles, we're built to exercise!

You're taking extremes.

Most people probably burn around 200 to 300 calories daily in exercise. That is one slice of pizza. That's the point were trying to make. It mostly happens in the kitchen.

Wrong.

Great explanation -- not worth time to read.

I matched yours.

You're wasting time belittling people. 200-300 calories is a legit burn.

Didn't say it wasn't legit I said it wasn't much which isn't belittling it's just the truth. Sounds like you are an n=1 person since you say most people and I think you meant you.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    cico.

1500 is an awful long run. Hardly anyone burns that much from exercise in a day

Goodness sake....it's an.example!!
    cico.

1500 is an awful long run. Hardly anyone burns that much from exercise in a day

Goodness sake....it's an.example!!

The issue is that in your original post, it seems like you are saying that exercise ( your example was a 30minute brisk walk), in and of itself, will produce weight loss. Which isn't true.

That's the problem, that's not really much exercise, in fact, it only barely passes as a minimum.

LOL remember you're talking to an audience where some people log dusting and hoovering as "exercise".....
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

ndj1979 wrote: »
    100% calorie deficit for weight loss
    100% exercise for body comp and overall health…

not necessary to do both

100% calorie deficit can be achieved by exercise!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    cico.

You're taking extremes.

The equivalent of a two mile run every single day is not something I'd call "not exercising much".
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    cico.

You're taking extremes.

The equivalent of a two mile run every single day is not something I'd call "not exercising much".

Actually, if that's what you do throughout the day you would still be considered sedentary since under 5000 steps is sedentary and that's about 2 miles. If you added it on top you would still be only in the moderately active category.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cico.

You're taking extremes.

Its pretty much a bare minimum and most people don't do that.

Percent of adults 18 years of age and over who met the Physical Activity Guidelines for aerobic physical activity: 49.2%
    Percent of adults 18 years of age and over who met the Physical Activity Guidelines for both aerobic physical and muscle-strengthening activity: 20.8%

Source:
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/exercise.htm

The guidelines are:
    2 hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (i.e., brisk walking) every week and weight trainingmuscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms).

OR

jogging 1 hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes) of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity (i.e., jogging or running) every week and strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms).

OR

An equivalent mix of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity and muscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms).
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Maybe I'm getting my conversions confused here but 2 miles, 7 days a week should easily be more than those guidelines.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Maybe I'm getting my conversions confused here but 2 miles, 7 days a week should easily be more than those guidelines.

It would get more than the 150 minutes of brisk walking assuming 7 days. Still doesn't get the strength component and the 150 minutes is a minimal level that most of the population doesn't get.

Walking 2 miles a day really isn't exercising much. Not belittling anyone, just stating a fact.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options

The guidlines would be about that as long as it was on top of sedentary, yes, since moderately active is the guideline and is roughly the equivelant 7500 steps per day at a minimum. Unfortuntely, the guidelines have been watered down over the years. Here is a link to the current recommendations by the ACSM for weight loss/maintenance: https://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media-room/acsm-in-the-news/2011/08/01/acsm-position-stand-on-physical-activity-and-weight-loss-now-available

ETA: AHA and ACSM are in agreement and here is the AHA recommendations: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/American-Heart-Association-Recommendations-for-Physical-Activity-in-Adults_UCM_307976_Article.jsp you can see that they recommend more exercise for cardio-vascular health.

You can find a definition of intensity levels from the cdc here: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/physical/pdf/PA_Intensity_table_2_1.pdf
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Leyshinka wrote: »

not necessary to do both

not if you then go out and over eat
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Leyshinka wrote: »

not necessary to do both

not if you then go out and over eat

Details :tongue:
  • stevencloser
    Options

The guidlines would be about that as long as it was on top of sedentary, yes, since moderately active is the guideline and is roughly the equivelant 7500 steps per day at a minimum. Unfortuntely, the guidelines have been watered down over the years. Here is a link to the current recommendations by the ACSM for weight loss/maintenance: https://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media-room/acsm-in-the-news/2011/08/01/acsm-position-stand-on-physical-activity-and-weight-loss-now-available

ETA: AHA and ACSM are in agreement and here is the AHA recommendations: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/American-Heart-Association-Recommendations-for-Physical-Activity-in-Adults_UCM_307976_Article.jsp you can see that they recommend more exercise for cardio-vascular health.

You can find a definition of intensity levels from the cdc here: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/physical/pdf/PA_Intensity_table_2_1.pdf

Jogging is concidered vigorous by the CDC?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options

Well, jogging is a slow to moderate run pace, so about 4.5 to 6 miles per hour (or even higher for some) depending on your conditioning levels. The important thing is the percentage of max heart rate, intensity of 60% to 90% is considered vigorous.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    cico.

not sure who is burning 1500 calories off on one run…...

You can get there if your run is in the 15 mile range.

I severely doubt it! it might just be true for a very overweight, very big guy doing this uphill but it's not going to happen for the average woman. Over 5km I burn about 170kcal, 10k 320, 20 kilometers 640 maybe? thus 15 miles would be 800, that's half of what you mention.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    cico.

I severely doubt it! it might just be true for a very overweight, very big guy doing this uphill but it's not going to happen for the average woman. Over 5km I burn about 170kcal, 10k 320, 20 kilometers 640 maybe? thus 15 miles would be 800, that's half of what you mention.

I'm curious how are you measuring that and how much do you weigh, and are you running or walking? Even a person at only 150 would be burning over 300 net calories on a 5K run and about 400 to 450 on a treadmill calorie meter -- I know that from experience as it was about 425 when I was 151. At 100 lbs you would still have a net burn of 65 calories per mile or 200 for a 5k and that's net calories, you would get more from a calulator or treadmill meter. This calculator here http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/94.shtml will put you at 245 per 5K at 100 pounds.

170 seems very low so you might want to recalculate and see what you come up with.

ETA oh and for an average woman it would be more like 300 to 400 calories per 5k.
  • Packerjohn
    edited February 2016
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    cico.

Many sites will use a fairly generic 100 calories per mile walked or ran as a rough estimate. You are right it will vary depending on the person's size. That is why I said range.

Bottom line is it takes more exercise than most people do to burn an excess 1500 calories with exercise alone on a daily basis
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Yes, pretty sad. They are defining exercise levels to meet to the terrible condition many in the US are in.