Coconut Oil

Options
Hello, I wonder if anyone on here has tried it. I have started having a table spoon of coconut oil every day in my coffee and noticed that great things have started to happen. I have been using it for 5 weeks now and noticed that my tummy has reduced and that I am not craving sweets as much. I can stick to my diet as I do not feel so hungry. I was sceptical at first but have to say I think it works. Of course it does not work on its own. I do watch what I eat and religiously log my food in MFP and try to fit in some kind of exercise every day.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There isn't anything magical about coconut oil. If it has helped you stick to your calories, and which has put you in a deficit, it's the deficit that made you see the results.

I used it to cook but nothing outside of that.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm doing the same thing. I read about Coconut Oils anti-inflammatory properties and the energy boost that can come from it. I suffer from Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, so I was more than willing to give something a shot that might give me some relief. This is my 3rd day and I have noticed an upswing in energy. I've been impressed! I read that coconut oil can also help to reduce your cholesterol and I am hoping to see that benefit as well!

Another benefit I've noticed is that it stimulates the bowels. So there has been less bloating.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    But the fat content...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Everyday! :)

I eat a low carb high fat diet so the bit of extra fat fits my macros well. I don't use a lot of oil, just a teaspoon whisked or blended in, but it helps reduce my appetite for later in the day.

It definitely can stimulate the bowels so don't add too much too fast. ;)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    There isn't anything magical about coconut oil. If it has helped you stick to your calories, and which has put you in a deficit, it's the deficit that made you see the results.

Actually, you are wrong. There is one magical thing about coconut oil: if you use it to pop your popcorn, it makes the most tender but still crunchy popcorn in the world!
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    dotti1121 wrote: »
    But the fat content...

It's good fat. Fat is not evil, it is necessary, as long as it is from the right sources.

OP, I love coconut oil. I also use it on my hair & skin.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Actually, you are wrong. There is one magical thing about coconut oil: if you use it to pop your popcorn, it makes the most tender but still crunchy popcorn in the world!

Magical and inexpensive skin lotion too. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I keep meaning to try that.

I cook with it sometimes, although with olive oil more often. Nothing wrong with it (including the fat content, as there's nothing wrong with fat), but I don't believe it has magical properties and don't get the desire to consume it or any oil on its own (or in coffee, ugh, but then I like coffee black and don't really like adding anything).

It's got a lot of calories and for me calories from oil aren't filling. I think people are different, so if someone else finds it a satisfying way to use 110 calories or so (for a tablespoon), cool.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I stopped using coconut oil when I learned a medical condition I have can be influenced by saturated fat, and that unlike other oils, the fat in coconut oil is 93 % saturated fat.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ReniaL wrote: »
    Hello, I wonder if anyone on here has tried it. I have started having a table spoon of coconut oil every day in my coffee and noticed that great things have started to happen. I have been using it for 5 weeks now and noticed that my tummy has reduced and that I am not craving sweets as much. I can stick to my diet as I do not feel so hungry. I was sceptical at first but have to say I think it works. Of course it does not work on its own. I do watch what I eat and religiously log my food in MFP and try to fit in some kind of exercise every day.
    This is the reason you are getting results. Coconut oil has little anything to do with it...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil works well for me. My health markers have improved when I moved my calories from 10% to 80% being from quality Fats when I stop eating most forms of sugar and all forms of grains.

Eating a 5% carb, 15% protein and 80% fat macro forces one to look for high quality fat sources. Between coconut oil and Heavy Whipping Cream I can get 600-800 calories of fat in my first cup of coffee each morning before I leave the house.

Like it has been said there is nothing magical about coconut oil. I just this macro to reduce pain and the risk of heart disease, cancer, dementia, diabetes, high blood pressure and the like after spending over a year of studying the subject of improving the quality of life and life expectancy.

@ReniaL the best of success. We are all different but over time your body will let you know what it likes and dislikes I expect. Being 65 moving to living mainly on Fats was harder to do mentally than physically due to years of false mind programming on the subject.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I stopped using coconut oil when I learned a medical condition I have can be influenced by saturated fat, and that unlike other oils, the fat in coconut oil is 93 % saturated fat.

Which medical condition, if you don't mind me asking?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    dotti1121 wrote: »
    But the fat content...

It has the same fat content as other oils, I'm pretty sure.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I use it to fry up some mozzarella sticks ;)
  • briggsykim
    briggsykim Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a fad
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil works well for me. My health markers have improved when I moved my calories from 10% to 80% being from quality Fats when I stop eating most forms of sugar and all forms of grains.

Eating a 5% carb, 15% protein and 80% fat macro forces one to look for high quality fat sources. Between coconut oil and Heavy Whipping Cream I can get 600-800 calories of fat in my first cup of coffee each morning before I leave the house.

Like it has been said there is nothing magical about coconut oil. I just this macro to reduce pain and the risk of heart disease, cancer, dementia, diabetes, high blood pressure and the like after spending over a year of studying the subject of improving the quality of life and life expectancy.

@ReniaL the best of success. We are all different but over time your body will let you know what it likes and dislikes I expect. Being 65 moving to living mainly on Fats was harder to do mentally than physically due to years of false mind programming on the subject.

And as an added bonus... just think of all the micronutrients you're missing out on!!!
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2016
    Options

Those are some fairly bold claims regarding some very serious medical conditions.

OP, please don't expect these as outcomes. Many of them are more genetic they dietary (dementia and cancer being the biggest two) and HBP and heart disease are more a direct results of obesity too.
  • ashteinpeacock
    ashteinpeacock Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into this coconut oil thing myself... Mostly for my hair and skin though... never thought of it for diet. If it helps with cravings then I say its worth it right there.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I grew up believing coconut oil was bad since it was so high in fat. Then the fad came. It is SO much yummier to cook in coconut oil vs the more bland olive oil. The kids always say the kitchen smells soooo good - and all I've usually done is start heating up some coconut oil. I pretty much use it for 75% of my cooking. (side note - grilled cheese and fried eggs are delish in coconut oil!)

I've tried "oil pulling". DH and I swished coconut milk for 20 mins daily for 2 weeks. Our teeth felt amazingly clean - but we quit after that. Too much hassle plus it was annoying only being able to grunt for 20 mins every day.

I do use it daily as a skin moisturizer and LOVE it :) The best moisturizer I have used and so incredibly cheap. Love that it leaves my skin glowing but not oily.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Those are some fairly bold claims regarding some very serious medical conditions....

None of which are supported by actual scientific research either, as far as I know. Smells distinctly of MercoLOLa, who shouldn't ever be associated in any way with real science.