The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @telepneff Welcome! This challenge will be great to help you get back to doing park runs, that's for sure!
    While it's great for running, I wouldn't promise anything regarding the "mind working in miles" part - I've been following this challenge for more than a year, and unless someone's distance is 10mi, 13.1mi or 26.2mi, I have to make a conscious effort to convert it. Oh, and fair warning: you know what's worse than miles? Temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit. That conversion is even messier! ^^
    Most of the time I just ignore the need to convert anything and let the US/imperial folks run in miles, yard, feet, leagues or furlongs - whatever, as long as everyone is happy ;)
  • DCKgirl03
    DCKgirl03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @DCKgirl03 Good luck to you!! Wow, I feel a lot less intimidated by my measly Michigan winter, if you're trekking it in Saskatchewan!

Yeah I'm an outdoor runner until about -25C with the wind chill. Any colder than that and even with a mask it hurts my lungs. I'll use the treadmill at the gym if I have to but I don't like to. You do get used to it after a while and winter here is 6 months of the year, I like running to much to not run that long.

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    February goal—None first 1/2 on February 7…just going to try for as many miles as possible in February

2/2—5.2 ish km—the groundhog wouldn’t see his shadow if he existed here
    2/4–3.2 km
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I am currently trying to train for a marathon in June but running into a lot of issues, mostly around overtraining. I'm having a hard time getting in enough mileage to properly train without overtraining, so I'm really not sure how to progress from here. I'm at the point where I'm training so much my weight loss has stalled and I really need that weight loss to help me improve my speed. Long story short, I need to rethink my approach to maximize results and minimize injury.

My January goal was 69 miles. I got 39 done.

For February, my goal is 45 miles. This allows me to get in a weekly long run and get in some shorter workouts too while allowing lots of space for cross training and weights.

exercise.png

@punkrockgoth How far is your current long run? How many miles in a week are you up to and how many runs per week are you at right now? You have plenty of time till June (about 4 or 5 months) to slowly build up the mileage. Are you doing anything other than running (like any other cross-training)?

As far as losing weight, MFP is a great place and looking at your diary it looks you are doing a great job tracking. So it's a matter of cleaning up what is going in.

We are all here to help.

@punkrockgoth - What Stan said deserves to be quoted.

A lot of marathon training hype focuses on the long run, and the long run is very important. But it's not the only thing going on. A lot less hype is put on the total mileage base, but a strong base is what will get you through without injury.

The base is a tricky thing to develop. There are canned recommendations, such as the oft-cited recommendation not to increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%. What's cited less often is, don't increase your weekly mileage every week. The important thing is to run until the load doesn't make you feel beat up, then increase a bit, and hold steady until you're sure the increased load is sustainable. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you feel like you're overtraining, chances are one or both of two things is going on: Either you're running too fast too much, or you're running more miles than you should for your current level of conditioning. There are things to do to support running - cross-training cardio, some strength training to support your core and your running chain, and eating to support your training. But the most important thing is to not overdo things. That means not running as fast as you can for most of your miles, and not increasing your miles too much too fast.

Unfortunately, no one can tell you how fast you can safely increase your base load of miles. You have to find out for yourself. Worse, the way you typically find out how much is too much is by having to take unplanned time off.

Unlike Stan, I suspect that June is probably too soon for you to run a full marathon. If I understand your post correctly, you ran 39 miles in January and hope to run 45 miles in February. That's a good plan for increasing base miles, and probably consistent with what you need to do; but that type of sustainable increase won't take you from 10 miles a week on the average to being able to run a marathon in 6 months. A half marathon should be within reach, but a full marathon may be a bit aggressive for where you're coming from.

@MobyCarp You make very good points. Where I was going was if she goes slow enough she can increase just enough miles to make it to the marathon injury free. She may not compete well enough, but she would be able to survive the 26.2. Even if it means walk/run some of it.

The main thing is to get her LR close to 20 as much as possible and stay injury free. I would say all of her mileage should be easy conversational since increasing is hard work in of itself. As you pointed out, to increase mileage safely, not only is the long run need to increase slowly, but her other weekly mileage as well along with it. That was the genesis of my questioning.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @telepneff Welcome! This challenge will be great to help you get back to doing park runs, that's for sure!
    While it's great for running, I wouldn't promise anything regarding the "mind working in miles" part - I've been following this challenge for more than a year, and unless someone's distance is 10mi, 13.1mi or 26.2mi, I have to make a conscious effort to convert it. Oh, and fair warning: you know what's worse than miles? Temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit. That conversion is even messier! ^^
    Most of the time I just ignore the need to convert anything and let the US/imperial folks run in miles, yard, feet, leagues or furlongs - whatever, as long as everyone is happy ;)

I am just waiting for that one person to log their runs in parseks.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    telepneff wrote: »
    Hi, just joined!
    I have a very conservative goal of 20k (my mind doesn't work in miles just yet- I'm sure it will once I've been on here for a while)
    This is my third time starting running (babies kept getting in the way!) so I'm slowly getting back into it after a pregnancy related hip injury. This month my aim is to get back to doing 5k parkruns on a Saturday morning, anything on top of that is a bonus

exercise.png

@telepneff
    Ha. It's funny, I always ran in miles and minutes per mile but I hired a coach who used KM and min/km so I switched to make it easier. I'm now fluent in both although I'm still more familiar with miles.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - glad PT likes how things are improving! WTG! Poor Macy! LOL on your hooker heels.
    @elise4270 - lol jealous of @7lenny7's shoes.

Feb 1 - 4.27 miles
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - strength training (trainer cancelled - so on the way home decided I'd run instead) 4.5 hot and humid miles.

exercise.png

2/7 Daytona Beach HM
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---6.10
    2---rest
    3---6.25 A+ run. Ate my first bug of the year.

12.35/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016  112.39/2016
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Did you log it in your food diary? :lol:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    1---6.10
    2---rest

Protein
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    yikes-eat-bugs.gif
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Today's 5-miler was difficult. It snowed 13 inches here between Sunday and yesterday so I decided to go on the bike path that is regularly cleared. It was probably 50-50 between being clear or packed snow with some ice. My heart rate was definitely higher than it usually is at the pace I was going so I am guessing I was just working really hard when I was trying not to fall. After 3 miles I stopped my watch and was just going to leave it at that because I was feeling tired but after walking around for a few minutes I talked myself into finishing the last 2 miles. I usually try to run Friday and Saturday but the class I am taking right now meets from 8am-5pm Friday and Saturday and it's around an hour drive away so I don't think I will be able to get out. I'm glad I talked myself into finishing 5 today.
    exercise.png
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• itstime2016
    itstime2016 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Activity Name Walk / Run Treadmill
    Start: Mon Feb 1 2016 7:00 pm
    Distance 2.00
    Time: 32 min
    Avg HR 150
    Max HR 175
    Calories 303

Activity: Elliptical
    Tue, Feb 2, 2016 3:10 PM
    Distance: 2 miles
    Time: 31:15
    Avg HR: 160
    Max HR: 181
    Calories: 315

Activity Name Walk / Run Treadmill
    Start: Wed, Feb 3, 2016 6:46 PM
    Distance 2.38
    Time: 34 min
    Avg HR 153
    Max HR 179
    Calories 319

Goal: Run 6 miles/week, 24 miles in Feb
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/3 – 6.30 group run

February total to date – 22.11

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – A rather routine group run for a relatively short distance. Can't complain about 57° F (14° C ) on February 3! Some road running, a little bit of not very technical trails, and a group that controlled the pace okay. It was a nice rest after yesterday's rather challenging speed workout.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    February 2016
    01/2 – 11.22 walk
    02/2 – 3.64 walk
    03/2 – 6.43 walk
    04/2 – 2.22 walk

Total: 23.51 km / 180 km

Bought some cheap inserts for my shoes today as my arches are in a bit of pain. Sticking to walking this week, until parkrun on Saturday… And I just made an appointment to see a Podiatrist on Wednesday (Finally!!) I was told over the phone that the Podiatrist is extremely good at fitting shoes, they carry a wide range of shoes and will assess me on the treadmill and video my gait. I am wondering if I need orthotics made up – Perhaps this is part of the reason my shins never get completely better. Even after a lot of rest, massage, slowing down, changing my running style, several different shoes.. I just can’t get to the bottom of it.. This lady sounds great though so cross fingers for me please!! Hope everyone is having a great start to the month!!

Races:
    9 January – New Year (virtual) 10K DONE! 1:11:58
    February – I Love Running (virtual) 10K
    February – Run For Mental Health – 100km
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @runner_girl83 How do you draw the line thru the sentence? Referring to your January 9 NY virtual race...I don't know how so I'm asking you since you just did it. Thank you!
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Worked 7-7 today and did just over 10 Kilometers on my lunch. My longest run yet! Knocked a couple minutes off my previous 10K time from a couple weeks back. Tried to stretch really well so I can get some miles in tomorrow but I'm not feeling confident. Every time I ramp up these longer runs a little it beats up my legs.

Considering dropping by a quality running store over the weekend and getting fitted for some shoes. The pair I have now seem to be working but I can't deny the itch to spend some money on something I'm enjoying.

1-1: 3 miles (and 27 on bike)
    1-2: rest
    1-3: 6.6 miles

9.6 of 70
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    10 miles on Treadmill in 79:30. 7:57 pace.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Protein!

Kick butt on your race this weekend!