The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• pippishortstockings
    pippishortstockings Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thank you for the advice!!!

@Virkati I haven't looked online, but I will do that. I am a brand new runner, so I haven't really thought about when/how to purchase gear. We have a number of sportswear stores around here, I'll definitely start stalking them, hehe!

@7lenny7 I think the rash was likely because I had tucked some socks under my running pants that went all the way up to my knee - and they were not socks meant for running or sweat wicking. I tend to have sensitive skin, but I was surprised at just how sensitive! I will try the ducktape on the toe of my shoe - we are having a warmer spell here and the snow is starting to get more melty, which means my feet get pretty soaked pretty quickly.

@skippygirlsmom I'll have to see what I can find that's light - I definitely got annoyed when I wore a heavy hoodie on a run... the more damp it got from the snow, the heavier it felt!

I heard a rumor that a local running shop near my office has groups that meet and run, and they have a group of winter runners! I'm going to try and join the group, plus then you get discounts at the store - hooray for motivation and discounts!!

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    First run of the month today. Scheduled for an easy 5 miler, and that's what I did. It was my first run post-tendon issue from last week. I was paying close attention to my left ankle/lower leg during the run, and occasionally noticed a small twinge. Still feeling good, though.

On a related note: for the first time in months, I can make a tight left turn (or U-turn to the left) without having to stay on my toes during the turn to de-load my left ankle. Whatever had been going on causing pain in my inner ankle for weeks was apparently closely related to my peroneal tendon (on the outside of the ankle)...

Going to continue taking it easy for a while until I'm confident that I won't reinjure myself.

5 of 120 miles completed
  • DCKgirl03
    DCKgirl03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to join this group. After rehabbing my ACL and going through physio I'm so happy to be able to be able to start training again. I've run plenty of 5ks 10ks and 2 half marathons. I live in Saskatchewan so our winters suck but I'm going to persevere through it. I'm just beginning training again with walk run intervals and baby steps to rebuild. So this months goal is 30km. I hope to do more than that as it seems so low compared to what I've previously run but weight gain from not being able to exercise is going to slow me down drastically.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Yay your PT is happy with the progress!! It won't be long now sista!!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    @kellyjellybellyjelly HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

ooops wrong thread. :)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    treegirl97 wrote: »
    I'm new and decided to join. ...so I have a long way to go! This is the first time I've ever done winter running and my gear is not really up to par but I don't want to invest in anything new until I know I'm committed to it!

OTOH - if you're like me, and you invest in some gear, you feel terrible if you're not using it, so you get that bump in motivation!

Welcome!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I can not believe you screwed your shoes. Have you tried it out yet?

@elise4270, I joined a group of trail runners last weekend and one of them warned that because of a recent thaw and refreeze, it could be slippery. Screwing shoes was suggested. So, the night before the run I took my retired pair of Brooks, and screwed them repeatedly, in the bottom, until they looked like they had been screwed enough.

The next morning I woke up, rolled over and saw them still where I had left them, and we got going. They worked quite well. I ran 11 miles that day and in places some folks who didn't screw their shoes were sliding. Those of us who did, and one guy with YakTrax had no problem.

That said, after about 8 miles the ball of my left foot started giving me minor issues. I can't say for certain it was the screwed shoes, but the next did I used my trail shoes and ran nearly 7 miles with no issues, though i did slip around more. I may take out some of the screws and see if I can get by with less, or experiment with different locations.

I just ordered the YakTrax so glad to see they worked well for that guy. I am doing a 1/2 Marathon trail run Saturday but sadly don't think the YakTrax will arrive, but its been thawing around here so I think mud is more of a risk.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I am currently trying to train for a marathon in June but running into a lot of issues, mostly around overtraining. I'm having a hard time getting in enough mileage to properly train without overtraining, so I'm really not sure how to progress from here. I'm at the point where I'm training so much my weight loss has stalled and I really need that weight loss to help me improve my speed. Long story short, I need to rethink my approach to maximize results and minimize injury.

My January goal was 69 miles. I got 39 done.

For February, my goal is 45 miles. This allows me to get in a weekly long run and get in some shorter workouts too while allowing lots of space for cross training and weights.

exercise.png

@punkrockgoth How far is your current long run? How many miles in a week are you up to and how many runs per week are you at right now? You have plenty of time till June (about 4 or 5 months) to slowly build up the mileage. Are you doing anything other than running (like any other cross-training)?

As far as losing weight, MFP is a great place and looking at your diary it looks you are doing a great job tracking. So it's a matter of cleaning up what is going in.

We are all here to help.

@punkrockgoth - What Stan said deserves to be quoted.

A lot of marathon training hype focuses on the long run, and the long run is very important. But it's not the only thing going on. A lot less hype is put on the total mileage base, but a strong base is what will get you through without injury.

The base is a tricky thing to develop. There are canned recommendations, such as the oft-cited recommendation not to increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%. What's cited less often is, don't increase your weekly mileage every week. The important thing is to run until the load doesn't make you feel beat up, then increase a bit, and hold steady until you're sure the increased load is sustainable. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you feel like you're overtraining, chances are one or both of two things is going on: Either you're running too fast too much, or you're running more miles than you should for your current level of conditioning. There are things to do to support running - cross-training cardio, some strength training to support your core and your running chain, and eating to support your training. But the most important thing is to not overdo things. That means not running as fast as you can for most of your miles, and not increasing your miles too much too fast.

Unfortunately, no one can tell you how fast you can safely increase your base load of miles. You have to find out for yourself. Worse, the way you typically find out how much is too much is by having to take unplanned time off.

Unlike Stan, I suspect that June is probably too soon for you to run a full marathon. If I understand your post correctly, you ran 39 miles in January and hope to run 45 miles in February. That's a good plan for increasing base miles, and probably consistent with what you need to do; but that type of sustainable increase won't take you from 10 miles a week on the average to being able to run a marathon in 6 months. A half marathon should be within reach, but a full marathon may be a bit aggressive for where you're coming from.
  • pippishortstockings
    Options
    @DCKgirl03 Good luck to you!! Wow, I feel a lot less intimidated by my measly Michigan winter, if you're trekking it in Saskatchewan!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I can not believe you screwed your shoes. Have you tried it out yet?

@elise4270, I joined a group of trail runners last weekend and one of them warned that because of a recent thaw and refreeze, it could be slippery. Screwing shoes was suggested. So, the night before the run I took my retired pair of Brooks, and screwed them repeatedly, in the bottom, until they looked like they had been screwed enough.

The next morning I woke up, rolled over and saw them still where I had left them, and we got going. They worked quite well. I ran 11 miles that day and in places some folks who didn't screw their shoes were sliding. Those of us who did, and one guy with YakTrax had no problem.

That said, after about 8 miles the ball of my left foot started giving me minor issues. I can't say for certain it was the screwed shoes, but the next did I used my trail shoes and ran nearly 7 miles with no issues, though i did slip around more. I may take out some of the screws and see if I can get by with less, or experiment with different locations.

I just ordered the YakTrax so glad to see they worked well for that guy. I am doing a 1/2 Marathon trail run Saturday but sadly don't think the YakTrax will arrive, but its been thawing around here so I think mud is more of a risk.

I have yaktrax, but never thought to use them in mud... I'll remember that next time. My trail is gravel with some mud. I'm not sure if I should use them in gravel though

I do have an old pair of Brooks I can screw..
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In the words of Shaun Cassidy..
    We do run run run, we do run run
    (with apoligies for the earworm)

Pic of the SuperBowl Festivities in Downtown SF. Playing havoc with commute schedules, but hey it only happens once every 50yrs (thankfully)
    rnaczedmc30a.jpg

Leap year, one more day to run, so I'll up the ante
    February
    In it for 60
    Valentines Relay Race this month (whoo hoo) <3

exercise.png
    • 01 - 5.3mi SuperBowl run around the Embarccadero Festivities
    • 03 - 12.6mi
    • 14 - 3.2 *prelogged: Valentines Couples Relay <3

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    c45bf3027cad941.gif

SB50.jpg 390.7K
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice!!!

@skippygirlsmom I'll have to see what I can find that's light - I definitely got annoyed when I wore a heavy hoodie on a run... the more damp it got from the snow, the heavier it felt!

@pippishortstockings for snow running (or rain) I would wear base layers and something waterproof over the top, even a light shell as long as it's water proof. It will protect you against the wind and also keep you dry. Use layers underneath for warmth. Also my dressing rule of thumb is always dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is outside because you'll warm up pretty quickly. If I'm chilly when I walk out the door I know I'm good, if I'm warm I go back in and take a layer off.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    http://www.leftlanesports.com/mobile/Events.aspx. discounted seasonal items. I want sleeves and more socks, but didn't see any this go around. Mud, reflective, winter gear and more
  • palmetto88bb
    palmetto88bb Posts: 1 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    I love this one. It's a bit sexist, but still the spirit behind it is what matters :)
    It's only sexist if you don't think women have balls... :)

True enough :)

@pippishortstockings my 4 yo girl loves pippi and how strong she is. love the name!

2/1 6.11
    2/3 7.02 — good, slow run, snow, water, real slushy. not fun for the feet!

Total: 13.13/80

exercise.png
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm new and want to join this group for the motivation! I'm working on week 4 of C25K right now with a goal of running at least one 5K this spring (and I'd like to actually RUN it, rather than walk most of it).

My goal for February is 30 miles - that will be a combination of running/walking with C25K.

exercise.png
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    Argh - today's run was not fun. Left ankle/calf muscles so sore and cramping. Did less mileage than planned as a result.

exercise.png
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 70 Miles for February

2/3 – 3.58 Mi

Progress toward Goal 3.58/ 70
  • telepneff
    telepneff Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi, just joined!
    I have a very conservative goal of 20k (my mind doesn't work in miles just yet- I'm sure it will once I've been on here for a while)
    This is my third time starting running (babies kept getting in the way!) so I'm slowly getting back into it after a pregnancy related hip injury. This month my aim is to get back to doing 5k parkruns on a Saturday morning, anything on top of that is a bonus

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @telepneff - I believe quite a few log in kilometers here. No need to worry about conversions. :smile: The important thing is setting a goal and seeing if you can reach it!