The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Our winters (Michigan) can be quite similar, can I ask if you use a certain type of shoe for running, or a type of sock? /// I find that I'm getting rashes on my calves, and don't know if I should go to Target and buy some cold weather gear, or invest in something potentially better from UnderArmor or a place like that. Would you (or anyone else) have any advice for me? I appreciate it!!!
    @pippishortstockings Shoes/Socks - Like most Clothes are always a very Personal choice. What works for me could be a Foot/Leg Destroying disaster for you and other runners. So my recommendation for Shoes is pretty standard - Go to a Running Specialty Store ( prepared to Run ) and get them to do a Gait Analysis on a Tread Mill. A good store should have 1-2 Video Cameras ( Rear and Side Views ) aimed at the deck, They should be able to show you the recording and explain your stride/foot strike. Then they will have you try on multiple pairs for a Walk test then Treadmill Run with the Ones you have set aside. The Right Shoe will Find You. When I do a walk test with a new shoe I actually close my eyes to truly feel the "Balance Point/Heel Lift/Foot Stability". One of my many quirks!
    A few Links to Historical Posts about Running Gear.
    Tools-of-the-trade
    Running-gear
    Running-in-cold-weather
    Running-socks-yeah-or-ney
    Running-gear-is-taking-over-my-wardrobe/p1
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ate my first bug of the year.
    @Elise4270 She Wins - First Mid Run Protein Supplement of the 2016 Running Year :p ( North American Division ) . South America, Africa, Asia, Europe and South Pacific still open.

@Virkati you asked @runner_girl83 How do you draw the line thru the sentence? On a PC when adding a comment there are 3 Icons to the left above the comment Box The S with the - will do Strikethrough. Highlight the Word(s) and hit the Strikethrough.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Ok giving it a shot...thank you for the help! like this? YES!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @pippishortstockings Forgot about these link's on Cold Weather Running and Layering
    Runners World Cold Weather Running
    Runners World What to wear on cold runs
    Runners World What to Wear
    342f1ocnfcmf.jpg
    Remember these are just guides/suggestions - What works for me at 10 degrees will probably leave you Cold and Miserable ( I run in Comfort down to -25 Celsius = -13F )

This one about Buying Shoes. Runnersworld How to buy running shoes

@DCKgirl03 Just a little West and North of you in the Peace River District of NW Alberta. So we have similar weather - Those darn Alaskan Clippers and there cold-snowy conditions. Mid-western USA Blames it on an Alberta Clipper - We know it started in Alaska.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    2.5 mile today, a short one but I ran all the way up the steepest hill in the area so it was still a success! 11.5 miles so far this month.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    3---6.25 A+ run. Ate my first bug of the year.
    Did you log it in your food diary? :lol:
    I seem to remember somebody from the running challenge added "bug" to the MFP food database last year, when those lovebugs were all over the place in some regions :p

@dennie24 your snow run sounds really tough. Kudos for hanging in there and finishing the 5 miles!

@runner_girl83 hopefully the podiatrist will find a way to fix your shin splints. My fingers are crossed!

@kateparry84 Congratulations! I moved to an area with a few "evil" hills, and I'm still super happy every time I manage to vanquish one of them by running all the way.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am)

A decent 8 miles today. 2 miles warm up, 2 miles marathon pace, then two miles off because I was going uphill against the wind and I'm tired, then the last 2 miles were at half-marathon pace. Felt much easier than yesterday, but I'm definitely still recovering my energy. Hoping my evening run tonight will be 100%! A day's worth of coffee should help with that ;)

This morning felt like pure springtime though. It was 52 degrees, foggy and drizzly, some weak sunshine starting to come through at the end of the run. Birds chirping, squirrels darting across my path..... so very spring-ish! It felt like a March or April morning today, not one at the beginning of February! But little ol' me in shorts and a t-shirt was not complaining!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

No. It made me cough, and I peed my pants a little, which raised my HR slightly- figured it all evened out... (Nerve damage= pp pants). :anguished:

I think @ddmom0811 added the bug? I know she has a taste for love bugs..
  • Elise4270
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Protein!

Kick butt on your race this weekend!

Thanks! The half I have in March is along the same course, so this is a practice run, with chocolate that I can't have. But will likely have...
  • pippishortstockings
    pippishortstockings Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @snha I grew up with pippi, and was always inspired by her strength and tenacity! Sounds like you've got a good kid :smile:

@DCKgirl03 holy cold, talk about dedication!

@skippygirlsmom That's a good tip, dressing for ten degrees warmer!!

Some of the stores around here are having weekend sales, so I'm going to do a little exploring and find some good stuff :smile:

Wow, thanks for the links and the info @juliet3455 !! I just called a running store near where I work, and they do gait analysis. I know what I'll be adding to my weekend roster of gear hunting!! The shoes I use now I like, but I have had them for about two years of spinning, lifting, dancing, and running. Might be time for a new pair, haha.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm going for 75 again. and try to get back up to 13 miles on weekend runs

1-personal training episode. so sore
    2-nothing, not feeling well
    3-slept in. still not feeling great
    4-see above

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    Feb 13-21 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's in the food diary.

Generic - Gnat Fruit Fly
    Serving size - Partial swarm
    Total calories: 5
    Fats: 0g
    Carbs: 0g
    Protein: 1g

Since you only had one bug, you will have to fractionalize that. Maybe .05 servings?
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Thanks for the literal laugh out loud! :lol:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2/1 - Rest day. Semi-planned.
    2/2 - Snow Day
    2/3 - 4 miles on treadmill
    2/4 - 5.1 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Sore knee this morning...hoping it is from shoveling and not running related. Didn't get worse when I ran, so I am going to cautiously push through.

exercise.png

@Elise4270 - Everyone is caught up in your protein snack. I say eating bugs is a sure sign of spring!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Yep, it's in the food diary.

Generic - Gnat Fruit Fly
    Serving size - Partial swarm
    Total calories: 5
    Fats: 0g
    Carbs: 0g
    Protein: 1g

Since you only had one bug, you will have to fractionalize that. Maybe .05 servings?

Wow! 1g protein! I'll stop holding my breath through the swarm and pretend they are krill and I'm a hungry whale! Although, thinking of myself as a whale may be detrimental to my fragile self image. Om nom nom nom!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    2/1 - Rest day. Semi-planned.
    2/2 - Snow Day
    2/3 - 4 miles on treadmill
    2/4 - 5.1 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Sore knee this morning...hoping it is from shoveling and not running related. Didn't get worse when I ran, so I am going to cautiously push through.

exercise.png

@Elise4270 - Everyone is caught up in your protein snack. I say eating bugs is a sure sign of spring!

Yes, its on the way. 22 last night. So, bye bye buggies.
  • Elise4270
    Options

@skippygirlsmom That's a good tip, dressing for ten degrees warmer!!

I go 20 if its calm and sunny. But I'll run shirtless at 45. Windy conditions I'll dress for the real feel. Each layer I add equals 5-10° depending on the conditions. Gloves add 15°. Ear cover is a must at or below 40. Toy with it long enough and you'll get a good feel for it.

When in doubt i make sure I'm running a loop to lose a layer if needed. Ive even left clothes in the brush to come back for. And I find I run faster if I'm slightly underdressed, which is hard for me to embrace since I loved hot days. But running has ruined that. I'm now dreading temps above 60. Just my 2¢.. I think you'll find you acclimate to cold temps quicker. But cold here is 20-40.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    2/1-3 slow miles + lots of yoga
    2/2-5.4 miles+ strength training
    2/3-7 miles

The weather was beautiful in southern Ohio yesterday. Sunny and 57, felt like spring. And just as windy. Holy smokes. Forecast said winds were 20-25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. From yesterday's run I learned: Running up a hill with 25 mph winds at your back requires almost the same level of effort as running back down the hill with those same winds in your face.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    2/1-3 slow miles + lots of yoga
    2/2-5.4 miles+ strength training
    2/3-7 miles

The weather was beautiful in southern Ohio yesterday. Sunny and 57, felt like spring. And just as windy. Holy smokes. Forecast said winds were 20-25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. From yesterday's run I learned: Running up a hill with 25 mph winds at your back requires almost the same level of effort as running back down the hill with those same winds in your face.

exercise.png

Wow, I wouldn't have attempted winds like that. Was 18mph gusts here, and I just try to stay in the trees. Killer run!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    After my run yesterday, my left calf/peroneal tendon/whatever is once again stiff. I wish it would let me know during the run whether it would cause me problems afterward, but I suppose that's too much to ask.

Taking some more time off, and starting myself on glucosamine supplements today (hey, it helps my dog with her limp--might do me some good, too). Considering booking an appointment with a PT or something. Any suggestions on what type of doc I should consider?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    After my run yesterday, my left calf/peroneal tendon/whatever is once again stiff. I wish it would let me know during the run whether it would cause me problems afterward, but I suppose that's too much to ask.

Taking some more time off, and starting myself on glucosamine supplements today (hey, it helps my dog with her limp--might do me some good, too). Considering booking an appointment with a PT or something. Any suggestions on what type of doc I should consider?

In Oklahoma you can walk into PT an be treated for 30 days without a doctor script. Mercy here won't abide by that. You know any runners in your area that could suggest a PT? My GP wrote the script for PT.

Do you have any good chiropractors? Mine is good with PT. Good luck.