The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Warm run today, I'm not looking forward to the warm temps at all. I think I much prefer the cold! Tho I can leave the windchill :/

2/01 - x-train
    2/02 - 4 miles that came nice and easy
    2/03 - nada
    2/04 - 3.4

exercise.png

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So I excitedly, and after much research, replaced it with the fitbit charge HR.
    Man, that may have been the worst decision ever.
    Looking into buying myself a new gadget for spring.

I just sold my Fitbit Charge HR! It wasn't what I was after either.. Had to charge it every day.. I asked Fitbit how I could make the battery last longer and they said to turn off the HR monitoring... That was the main reason I got it for!! I only had it for 3 weeks and put it on ebay! Bought a second hand Garmin FR10 (no HR) online and love it!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @Ch1pNQueso – How did you go with trying out some new running shoes? I used to go to the local shoe store, although they “fit” shoes, every time I walked out of there the shoes never fit lol… Hoping a trip to the podiatrist next week will sort it all out for me though! I’ve heard this lady will put me on the treadmill in several types of shoes to try and find my perfect fit. Here’s hoping! Every time I get past 10km I blow my shins… Gets pretty frustrating!

@Virkati – Lol Just realised that @Juliet3455 answered your question about the strikethrough already sorry! :smile: Trying to keep up!

Wondering if anyone has heard from Patrik333 (spelling?) lately??

@Elise4270 Good luck on your race!!!! :smile:

Races:
    Jan 9th – New Year (virtual) 10km 1:11:58
    Jan 30th – Park Run 5km
    Feb 6th – Park Run 5km
    February – I Love Running 10km
    February – Run For Mental Health 100km
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Having shoe/gait/strength/wtf issues with my left. I'm really thinking its just getting my left caught up to the strength of my right. I'm having some bottom of the foot pain (ball). If I try to curl my toes, I have pain and i can not do it. Running i occasionaly have tendon pain from big toe to mid foot. Now, with the odd outter quad pain, and now behind that quad tenderness along, what feels to be tendon. And the ever present medial shin knot/splint. Sound like all the connective tissue is stressed?

I got some Newtons today. I know NOT to run in them race day. But have no idea what to wear. I have a new pair of Merrells coming, but think I ordered a size too small, again I know new shoes on race day could be a disaster. My old Brooks won't do. So, I may do a few miles tomorrow in new shoes to see if I may chance it.. Probably stick with old Merrells, and compression sleeves.

I know I'm acclimating post shot, and getting stronger..but still if anyone has advice, I'm listening. Could be a simple overtraining issue, the left isn't ready... So, next week I may do some walking miles.

1---6.10
    2---rest
    3---6.25
    4---6.26

18.61/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016  118.65/2016
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love coming in here, literally thee best place to be on MFP!
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    No. It made me cough, and I peed my pants a little,
    Hahahaha! You're awesome!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    My February goal is on hold for now and may need to be revised. I have a foot injury that I don't think is going to get better if I keep stressing it. Not plantar fasciitis (which I've had and dealt with, and no wish to repeat!) Pain in the ball of my left foot, and my middle three toes tingle if I press down on it. Tried taping it, which helps, but not a lot. Will give it a few days and reassess.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    I love coming in here, literally thee best place to be on MFP!
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    No. It made me cough, and I peed my pants a little,
    Hahahaha! You're awesome!

Ha-ha.. I was wondering if anyone caught that.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    My February goal is on hold for now and may need to be revised. I have a foot injury that I don't think is going to get better if I keep stressing it. Not plantar fasciitis (which I've had and dealt with, and no wish to repeat!) Pain in the ball of my left foot, and my middle three toes tingle if I press down on it. Tried taping it, which helps, but not a lot. Will give it a few days and reassess.

Hey, that sounds like what I've developed. You have any idea what it is?
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'm really not sure. I've been banging out 100 mile goals here since last July (except for November), and the first months of that streak when I was not conditioned and heavier, so I expect I just tried to do too much too soon. And then I got a new pair of Merrills a couple of weekends back and put my Powerstep orthotics in them, and somehow that made it worse. I did a bunch of Googling and have found some leads (that's where I got the idea to try taping), but every site counsels rest/recovery. And at 50+, I'm not a hero when it comes to potential injury!
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2016
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I'm really not sure. I've been banging out 100 mile goals here since last July (except for November), and the first months of that streak when I was not conditioned and heavier, so I expect I just tried to do too much too soon. And then I got a new pair of Merrills a couple of weekends back and put my Powerstep orthotics in them, and somehow that made it worse. I did a bunch of Googling and have found some leads (that's where I got the idea to try taping), but every site counsels rest/recovery. And at 50+, I'm not a hero when it comes to potential injury!

Interesting. I too switched to Merrells. I haven't add many miles, (been at or close to 100 for a few months too) i figure its overtraining/adjusting. Guess I'll break out the tape. Thanks for the info!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/3 – 6.30 group run
    2/4 – 11.04 long speed work

February total to date – 33.15

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – Thursday is speed work. Today's assignment was 2 miles at E, 3 miles at MP, 2 miles at E, 2 miles at MP, 1 mile at E. That is a long, incredibly boring assignment to run on a 200 m indoor track. Tuesday I told Coach that if we got decent weather, I'd run Thursday's assignment on the roads because it would be mentally easier. I got 36 ° F (2° C) with snow flurries that weren't sticking and perhaps 8 mph W wind. That's pretty good outside running weather. The intervals add up to 10 miles, but I needed 11 to make the weekly mileage come out. No problem, I have an 11 mile route from home as well as a 10 mile route, just a minor variation from one to the other. I hit the first hills just past 2 miles, when I start doing MP.

Pace control isn't as fine on roads with hills, traffic, and an occasional stoplight as it is on a smooth, level indoor track; but my mile splits came in within speaking distance of where I wanted them for E and MP. I'm happy with the first long speed workout of the training plan, and it gives me some experience to draw on Saturday when the long work is a bit more complex, with some T pace thrown in with the MP and E.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Okay gurus - got a question for youse guys (Jersey-like). I want to give the HM distance another shot, and be fair about it. I feel like my not-great-run on 16-Jan was due to not having done that full distance (and more?) in my training. I think if I can get my body and my head used to 13, 14 miles on my regular long-run day, then my next HM will be cake.

But the last 3 times I've done 10+ miles (including the HM race day) - I'm good (mentally) through 10 or so, but the last miles are just a chore. I'm physically fine, but just mentally, I'm ready to be done with it. But I'm trying to persevere.

My question is this: This Saturday, I have a 15K race - it's supposed to be a nasty/hilly one. Do I go ahead and log a few miles before the race, like around 6:30, 7 before the race at 9? Does it matter if the miles are gapped - 3-4 miles early, and then the 9.3 an hour or so later? Or should I just be satisfied with 9.3 for the day? Am I crazy-making with the "run 14+ miles over and over until you get your head around it"?
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    01-Feb: 8.61 miles
    02-Feb: 4.26 miles
    03-Feb: 3.11 miles
    04-Feb: 4.32 miles
    05-Feb:
    06-Feb:
    07-Feb: <Life Day>
    08-Feb:
    09-Feb:
    10-Feb:
    11-Feb:
    12-Feb:
    13-Feb:
    14-Feb: <Life Day>
    15-Feb:
    16-Feb:
    17-Feb:
    18-Feb:
    19-Feb:
    20-Feb:
    21-Feb: <Life Day>
    22-Feb:
    23-Feb:
    24-Feb: <SURGERY - 1 to 2 weeks no running?>
    25-Feb:
    26-Feb:
    27-Feb:
    28-Feb: <Life Day>
    29-Feb:

Well - so far my surgery has cancelled 2 races, and I'll just have to wait and see about the 3rd one. Reckon I can ask for "pain and suffering" for missing races when we come down to settlin' time with his insurance company? You'd all testify about how painful it is to NOT run, right?

Upcoming Races:
    06-Feb: Al Toll Memorial 15K, Macon, GA
    27-Feb: Cantrell Center 5K, Warner Robins, GA
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA

02-Apr: Run 2 End Alzheimer's 10.5K, Bonaire, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K or 15K, Macon, GA
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA"
  • Elise4270
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Okay gurus - got a question for youse guys (Jersey-like). I want to give the HM distance another shot, and be fair about it. I feel like my not-great-run on 16-Jan was due to not having done that full distance (and more?) in my training. I think if I can get my body and my head used to 13, 14 miles on my regular long-run day, then my next HM will be cake.

But the last 3 times I've done 10+ miles (including the HM race day) - I'm good (mentally) through 10 or so, but the last miles are just a chore. I'm physically fine, but just mentally, I'm ready to be done with it. But I'm trying to persevere.

My question is this: This Saturday, I have a 15K race - it's supposed to be a nasty/hilly one. Do I go ahead and log a few miles before the race, like around 6:30, 7 before the race at 9? Does it matter if the miles are gapped - 3-4 miles early, and then the 9.3 an hour or so later? Or should I just be satisfied with 9.3 for the day? Am I crazy-making with the "run 14+ miles over and over until you get your head around it"?

I'd just give the 9.3 (15k) hell. No warm up. If you feel the HM is just mental, can you chat some folks up to help with the mental boredom? Work the crowd? My first (only) HM is my longest distance. Think my longest before was 11. I have a half in March, not sure I'll run do much more than the 13 in training.
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 I'm not going until this weekend. A couple friends here said the Fleet Feet store in my neighborhood has some awesome people doing the fitting. Online reviews back up the claims. I'll let you know how it goes.

@everyonetalkingaboutGPSwatches I just picked up one of these. The refurbished bit always worries me but it does have the 1 year warranty. Ordered a bike mount and hrm as well. If I fall in love with the Fenix 2 I'll be on the lookout for the Fenix 3 to go on sale. That full color display has me drooling.
  • DCKgirl03
    DCKgirl03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First 3km, walk run training done for me. 27 more to go. It still feels weird to run with my knee brace on. I feel like it changes my gait a bit. I'm sure I'll adjust to the change eventually, but for now it feels slightly off. I have yak traks here and they're indispensable for the road conditions here.
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Legs were feeling ragged today but I wanted to get a little time in before a busy weekend.

1-1: 3 miles (and 27 on bike)
    1-2: rest
    1-3: 6.6 miles
    1-4: 2.5 miles (and 30 minutes of core work)

12.1 of 70
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew

Good run with the Thursday bunch! Slow and easy for the first 3 miles, then a comfortable tempo pace between HM and marathon pace to keep up with my buddy who was running off some work frustration. Talking and running a 7:45 mile is still novel to me, but it was fun to go a fast but manageable/comfortable pace. After the run: free pizza, followed by ice cream, followed by great local beer. Gonna be savoring that off day tomorrow!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    PT today. Says the rest of this week and next I can bike, swim, walk, whatever, but no running. That will be re-introduced the week of the 15th with run/walk intervals while we evaluate exactly where I am with strength, balance, endurance and stamina. I feel like I've lost so much with all this down time. He said I probably have, BUT, getting it back won't take as long as it seems right now. Next week swimming lessons begin. 4 times a week for 4 weeks. PT is super happy about that because he thinks that means I won't have as much opportunity to overdo it with the running. He firmly believes that I can do my half on 5/15 but it will most likely have to be run/walk style. Told him that was good enough for me. I have two more scheduled for this year and if the first one is slow, steady, and I finish, I'll be ok with that.

02/20 Snowman Stampede 10 mile race...have to bail out of this one due to injury.
    04/24 Graffiti Run with grandkids - "Memaw's Mini Posse" is our team name!
    04/30 Greenland Trail Race...8 mile
    05/15 Colfax Marathon (Half)
    08/07 Tri for the Cure Sprint Triathlon
    09/05 Labor Day Mini Marathon (Half)
    10/16 Rock-n-Roll Denver Half
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »

@9voice9 For this Saturday, I would do just the race distance, but push yourself. And enjoy it!
    If you wanna get your head wrapped around the HM, my best advice would be to add a long run in the middle of the week. If your weekend LR already maxes at 12 or even 13 miles, that's great. Keep it up (but with off weeks for recovery, of course!). But I think a 7-8 mile run midweek will help normalize the longer distance, so that on race day, you can fly through the first half, then crush it in the second because you run more than that "all the time" (twice a week!). That was one of the things that helped most in my most recent batch of marathon training; a 10-12 mile midweek run makes the 18-22 mile long runs and the 26.2 race distance seem much more within reach than when my midweek running topped out at a 5 or 6 miler.