The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    Haha! Good move! Feminine pads were part of my First Aid kit when I did Daycare in my home. It was suggested by both the licensing agency and the paramedic who taught the CPR class back then. They are perfect for bandaging.

Ya know they are the best bandage material. They absolutely don't stick to open wounds. I'm loading up the running bag with them.
  • Hydeel6582
    Hydeel6582 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @Hydeel6582 - I find doing the @ username easiest for replying. As for keeping up with the number of posts there is no good answer. I caught up with this thread before going to bed. I woke up a couple hours early and there were already 22 new posts!

Woke up at 3am and by 4am decided I would just get up and put todays long run in early.:smile:

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Oh no! Way to plow through it all though! I really love your attitude and humor!
    Race report? Ugh... I did something wrong. I'm gonna guess it was thinking that if I took bentyl (IBS med, that is a smooth muscle relaxer) I wouldn't have "right dam now poo surprise".. The heart is a smooth muscle, I had leg cramps a mile in that didn't let up until mile 9. My heart rate was that of a meere mortal, 120-140 instead of 165+. In my wonderful coordinated effort, at mile 3, to be cheery and join in thanking the road police, I looked over while rounding a corner and stuck my foot in the uneven surface and did a face plant, luckily my knee took the brunt of it. Which now looks like hamburger. I keep making DH look at it, cuz he thinks its gross. I took advil, so now I'll have bloddy poo... But, that's why I did this race. So I know what not to do for the half in March. Mission accomplished.

1---6.10
    2---rest
    3---6.25
    4---6.26
    5---not enough rest day
    6---15K race

28.05/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016  128.09/2016

Thanks. I beat myself up enough during the run that I got that out of my system. Back at the hotel I saw the humor in it all when I had to make a bandage out of panty liners and an ace bandage I happen to have. Pretty dam funny mcgyver move.

That's awesome. LOL.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Way to plow through it all though! I really love your attitude and humor!
    Race report? Ugh... I did something wrong. I'm gonna guess it was thinking that if I took bentyl (IBS med, that is a smooth muscle relaxer) I wouldn't have "right dam now poo surprise".. The heart is a smooth muscle, I had leg cramps a mile in that didn't let up until mile 9. My heart rate was that of a meere mortal, 120-140 instead of 165+. In my wonderful coordinated effort, at mile 3, to be cheery and join in thanking the road police, I looked over while rounding a corner and stuck my foot in the uneven surface and did a face plant, luckily my knee took the brunt of it. Which now looks like hamburger. I keep making DH look at it, cuz he thinks its gross. I took advil, so now I'll have bloddy poo... But, that's why I did this race. So I know what not to do for the half in March. Mission accomplished.

Thanks. I beat myself up enough during the run that I got that out of my system. Back at the hotel I saw the humor in it all when I had to make a bandage out of panty liners and an ace bandage I happen to have. Pretty dam funny mcgyver move.

@Elise4270 - I so wish this had gone better for you but now you know a few things to do and not do in your HM. I am still learning with each race. I love that you bandaged your knee with panty liners! That is awesome and creative! I hope your knee is ok and not injured more than the scrape. If you can maybe try putting some ice on it?
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi again everyone, it has been a long time, but I'm back! My darling baby girl was born January 21st, and she is such a content little soul. Her name is Evelyn. I'm soooo glad to not be pregnant anymore (I don't do pregnant well, lol). Evelyn was definitely worth it, though! Today I was out on the trails with the dogs and felt strong enough to try jogging it; I surprised myself with how well I did considering how many months I had to be completely sedentary due to debilitating nausea. So I'm setting a goal of 20 miles this month ~wish me luck!2db7xeo3op3c.jpeg
    aj6vyns7dzeu.jpeg

2/6 1.57 miles - 18.43 to go
    exercise.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl - oh my gosh. So cute. Congrats on the run too.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »
    Hi again everyone, it has been a long time, but I'm back! My darling baby girl was born January 21st, and she is such a content little soul. Her name is Evelyn. I'm soooo glad to not be pregnant anymore (I don't do pregnant well, lol). Evelyn was definitely worth it, though! Today I was out on the trails with the dogs and felt strong enough to try jogging it; I surprised myself with how well I did considering how many months I had to be completely sedentary due to debilitating nausea. So I'm setting a goal of 20 miles this month ~wish me luck!2db7xeo3op3c.jpeg
    aj6vyns7dzeu.jpeg
    exercise.png

Congratulations and welcome back to running!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    February goal—None first 1/2 on February 7…just going to try for as many miles as possible in February

2/2—5.2 ish km—the groundhog wouldn’t see his shadow if he existed here
    2/4–3.2 km
    2/7—21.09 km—Condura skyway marathon. Didn’t get the time I wanted as I had to walk a lot due to the heat and humidity and hills. Gee…I thought I was trained and ready.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Struggled finding energy today. Ended up starting off with 4 miles easy, then decided to add a 10k at my half marathon pace. Total of 10.2 miles.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl aw! Too cute! Glad you're back at it!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl Congratulations on your new little beauty!
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @JohnONE29 Nice Run! Way to go!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Today’s run was a nice pace run followed by strength training and some core work at the gym. 1 mile warm up; 3 miles at goal HM pace (7:50 - 7:48 - 7:31); 1 mile cool down. Ok so the last mile was a little faster than goal pace haha. 34 degrees out, but it was super sunny so I ran in a tank top for the pace portion; the sun felt so nice on my arms and shoulders!

I know the feeling of running faster than the target pace well! It can be really hard to hold to the target, particularly on a relatively short run where you know you could run the entire distance faster than goal HM pace.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Ouch, just reading that race report hurts! I guess that's what is euphemistically called a "learning experience."
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl aw so sweet!! Glad ur feeling better already and have fun running again!
    @JohnONE29 way to turn it around, wow
    @Elise4270 oh wow. I laugh, I commiserate, poor girl
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This morning's trail run kicked my butt, but in a good way.

The Marathon Training Suggestion called for 8 or 9 miles, I changed that to 10 yesterday, when I started the run I decided to go for 12, and at 6 miles of the out & back I was feeling great still so I ended up with 13.8 miles.

I joined a gal from the local trail running group (I'm becoming quite the social butterfly. 4 of my last 5 runs have been with other people) this morning. We had 10 or 11 inches of snow Tuesday but the fat bikes had packed down the snow enough so it wasn't too much of a chore...at least at first. After 4 miles the 9 or 10 inch wide swath of packed snow turned into a single fat bike tire track wide, maybe 5 or 6 inches. With each step my foot would be on the edge, then slide in. After 6 miles of that, my ankles and hips were sore. At 12 miles I was wishing I hadn't added the extra distance but after getting back to the parking lot I was glad I did.

My left hammy, which I hurt Thursday, was making itself known in the morning but the pain went away as I ran and still is nowhere to be found.

Tomorrow the plan calls for 6 miles and I think I'll stick to that, maybe.

3hdnz1ria4o3.jpeg
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl congratulations! What a beautiful little one! So glad she is good for you. I had a baby on January 21 too, but it was 26 years ago now. And he wasn't quiet or content. Welcome back. You're doing well to be back out running already. Take care!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl Congrats! Such a cute baby!
    @Elise4270, oh my! So sorry all that happened but glad to see you're taking it well.
    @WhatMeRunning, way to attack those hills!
    @annekka, sorry your race didn't go as you'd hoped. Chalk it up to a bad day and know you'll nail your goal next time.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl - I was thinking about you today and wondering how you were doing! Evelyn is absolutely beautiful! Welcome back to the group and to running again! Congratulations on all counts!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Ended up taking a neighbor out for his longest run yet (10 miles) this morning. Kept him at about 70% max HR, and he managed to survive the run and was even up for a run tomorrow. I keep on telling him he'd be ready to do a Half Marathon in 2 weeks, but it looks like he'll be sticking to just joining me for a 15K instead.

Got on the scale this morning, and with the post-marathon tapering, I've let my weight creep up about 4lb, but with my next big race 2 months away, I've been a bit less vigilant that I'd like. Planing to do a long bike tomorrow, and a late run after the game to wrap up week 1 of the month.

2/1 - 4 miles (up/down part of Park City mountain through 2 feet of powder)
    2/2 - 5.5 miles
    2/3 - 1 miles (pre lift warmup)
    2/4 - 10 miles (7 mile tempo run + 3 recovery)
    2/5 - 5 miles
    2/6 - 10 miles

Total: 35.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 144.5 miles