The February 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member

exercise.png

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    @HonuNui - I do remember the Lily story! Glad she is doing well. Poor thing getting scared the whole run.
    @Virkati - awesome news from your PT!
    @9voice9 - haha - I wouldn't even be on the same page as @Stoshew71 -- you'd have to keep scrolling through. :)
    @7lenny7 - I like your modified training plan too. I'm not sure how anyone can follow a training plan to the letter, unless you don't work and have no family commitments. We know our bodies better than anyone.
    @pansamanchada - nice! We love shoes here. Well... we love shoes, running clothes, running equipment ... basically any running accoutrements.

Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.

exercise.png

2/7 Daytona Beach HM
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: Rest day

O Glorious Rest Day... still getting used to the demands of my new training schedule, so this rest day couldn't come soon enough! My legs are weirdly sore today after adding extra squats and lunges to my stability work yesterday. Did more core work this morning, adding in some stuff I picked up from my barre class last week. I felt so amazing last week after that barre workout; I think it activated some of my lazier core muscles. Hoping to maintain that strength through the training cycle as it made a huge impact on my runs last week; every rating in my training log was a big smiley face!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I'm going for 75 again. and try to get back up to 13 miles on weekend runs

1-personal training episode. so sore
    2-nothing, not feeling well

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    Feb 13-21 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    michable wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I am in my mid 40's, so I like to think that i am still young.

Amen to that! Also in my mid 40's and, although I have to be smarter about it these days, I still like to think I can find a little more speed in my old(er) age. #haventpeakedyet

@lporter229 Mid 40s here too, and love the hashtag!

Damn right sister!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    2/1-3 slow miles+lots of yoga

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    I completely failed on my January goal, so I'm starting fresh in February. As some of you may remember, I'm doing my first official half on February 21 (though this is the third one I've trained for), plus I will be in Disney World for a week where I will be doing a ton of walking, and probably no running other than the half, so I'm going to try for 50 miles in February. My next race after the half is a 15K on April 2, which I plan on training for starting the week of 2/29.
  • instantmartian
    My first run of the month, 4.3 miles! Might not be a lot but it's my furthest ever run so I'm well happy :)

Congrats! :smiley:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    9voice9 wrote: »
    87u8alechq4n.jpeg

I'm a terrible person, but I wanted to post what might be the ONLY time I'm ahead of @Stoshew71 on a leaderboard... :wink:

hahaha It's my cutback week. :-)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I just ordered a pair of Newtons BOCO SOL trail shoes. The drop is 3mm. They appear to have quite a bit of cushion. (Current shoe Merrell -all out flash)

Over the last few weeks I've noticed my strike feels different from foot to foot (left is forefoot strike, right is mid to heal). My left foot hurts like I may be striking to hard. The shoe wear pattern is different with just over 100 miles on them... *sigh* what a pain, for my gait to be that far off. Just wish my left was like my right... Then I'd be runnin' twice the distance and speed. Wish wish wish...

Anyone try the Newtons?
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Newbie welcomes to @JamieWW @Alex729 @KatrinaGrey

Mo Feb 1: Iowa caucuses…Can’t.tear.myself.away. What did I say about “consistency” again? I did reset my training since it’s a new month to the “Sub 2:30:00 half marathon” plan and it says the "start" is supposed to be 02/02. Maybe I can pull a Peewee Herman and say “I meant to do that?”

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    Welcome to the newbies and congrats to everyone who has started this month off with a bang (or a rest--yes, I congratulate you, too. Resting is hard work!)

I did my first run for the month today on the treadmill, where I so often find myself these days. It's Fast and Furious Week at the gym. The pull of the street on a gray cloudy day has nothing on Vin Diesel. Sorry, outdoors.

1/31 Rest
    2/1 6.25 @ 12.00 on the treadmill
    2/2
    2/3
    2/4
    2/5
    2/6
    (6.25/25 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    Feb. 14 Run Your Heart Out 5K, Reston, VA
    Feb. 22 Disney Princess Half Marathon, Orlando, FL

exercise.png

I live on a treadmill during the winter. I don't get along well with Northeast Pennsylvania winters to begin with - just walking to and from my car to get the gym is enough winter for me.

I completely 100% agree with @Virkati - I consider my treadmill training a small victory over stupid winter. PA winters deserve no apologies from me!
  • Stoshew71
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I just ordered a pair of Newtons BOCO SOL trail shoes. The drop is 3mm. They appear to have quite a bit of cushion. (Current shoe Merrell -all out flash)

Over the last few weeks I've noticed my strike feels different from foot to foot (left is forefoot strike, right is mid to heal). My left foot hurts like I may be striking to hard. The shoe wear pattern is different with just over 100 miles on them... *sigh* what a pain, for my gait to be that far off. Just wish my left was like my right... Then I'd be runnin' twice the distance and speed. Wish wish wish...

Anyone try the Newtons?

I have the Newton Blue Energy. They are the crossover shoe. They are allright for me. I actually like them. No complaints. I got them at the last Cotton Row Run expo for like $50. One of the few pairs of shoes that were my size at the expo and were a great price.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    2/01: 3 miles, easy, 8:36 pace + 45 min X-Training + core
    2/02: 5 miles, tempo, 8:22 pace
    Total: 8 miles

Had a nice little tempo run this morning; I was racing the rain today so that gave me a little extra incentive to go fast! 1 mile easy to warm up; slowly sped up to 10K pace over the next 2 miles; held 10K pace for a mile; 1 mile easy to cool down. 35 degrees out and 15 mph winds, so this was a nice solitary run. What a great way to start off the day!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    2/20 - Mardi Gras Chaser (5K)
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • Stoshew71
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 7.55 miles - 7.55
    2/2 7.4 miles - 14.95

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

Continueing my well deserved cut back week. Feeling a bit better this morning with my Brueggers group run.
    Had a visitor from Birmingham that ran with us. He does coaching on the side and we began talking about stuff. I may want to persue a coaching class and get a RRCA certification in the future and get some clients. Some real interesting.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited February 2016
    2/1 - 0 miles
    2/2 - 4 miles relatively painfree :smile: outdoor

4 out of 80 miles

My ticker is also my countdown to my trip to Hawaii!!!!!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row 10K - 5/30
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hello everyone :smile:
    I'd like to join in if I may, but with a very low starting point of 20 miles for February.
    I started the Zen Labs C25K app last year, but at around week 4 we moved, and life got in the way, and I stopped.
    I wanted to start again when everything had calmed down but by then it was winter, and we live in quite a rural area, and my partner wasn't happy about me going out in the dark mornings/evenings on my own. I've tried to keep it up by going out at weekends during the day, but this just wasn't enough.
    So, I did a bit of research and I found a local running club who were starting a Zero-5k 10 week programme for beginners from last night, and I went out with them for the first time. I have to say it was much tougher than the app on my phone, but I'm very proud to say that I managed the entire hour of 1 min walk, 1 min run intervals without stopping, and although I was at the back of the group the whole time, unlike some I didn't quit, or take any breathers. I'm feeling very accomplished today.

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I may want to persue a coaching class and get a RRCA certification in the future and get some clients.

You've already been coaching us for a while. Might as well continue to pass on your knowledge and experience (and get paid for it!), and in person, to boot!

• KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Did 27 miles on the bike in the morning, worked, and then barely made it through 3 miles of running. Can't say I'll be doubling up on a regular basis but I couldn't resist hopping on the bike. Legs feel terrible today.

1-1: 3 miles

3 of 70
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    CariTJR wrote: »
    I'd like to join in if I may, but with a very low starting point of 20 miles for February.

...but I'm very proud to say that I managed the entire hour of 1 min walk, 1 min run intervals without stopping, and although I was at the back of the group the whole time, unlike some I didn't quit, or take any breathers. I'm feeling very accomplished today.

Congratulations, and welcome! Beware - we ALL started with a "low starting point." It might not stay "low" :wink: