The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @oceanvixen79 Welcome! My garmin connect username is ariceroni. Feel free to add me (anyone!), I'm always looking for more friends on there :)
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    I'm in. I'll go super conservative and pledge to run/walk .5 a day = 15 miles rounding up.
    I know its a weekend run to some here. But setting the bar low. Hopefully I can shatter it and get a better idea of what I can really do for march.

15 miles is SO MUCH better than 0 miles! Every single step you take for fitness (and for fun!) is a good one. Welcome aboard.

Thanks so much! that was exactly my thought. I've been going to the gym and warming up on the treadmill for 10 minutes or so.
    I might as well start logging the mileage.

I've been a runner in the past. A few years ago I started an aggressive 1/2 marathon 10 week program and ended up injuring myself. That was my last affair with running. Not getting injured this time. Not with this goal. I'm just going to do as much as I can this month as a threshold and we'll see later.
    Thanks for the welcome note :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I can't claim to be an expert, but I did start running at age 55, and I'm faster at 60 than I was at 55, 56, or 57. Things I think I know that help speed, in no particular order:

- Intervals.
    - Recovery.
    - Run slower to run faster.
    - Older guys only need one day of speed work per week.
    - Good form and running efficiency.
    - Train for that distance.
    - Realistic expectations.

SO MUCH love for this whole post. I am another 50+ runner, and I keep having to reorient my perspective to run slower, so I can run more.

As you get older, injuries become more of a reality. Recovery takes longer than you young bucks. Stretching and strength training becomes even more important with the focus on injury prevention.

I am in my mid 40's, so I like to think that i am still young.
  • Stoshew71
    Options

I'm in. I'll go super conservative and pledge to run/walk .5 a day = 15 miles rounding up.
    I know its a weekend run to some here. But setting the bar low. Hopefully I can shatter it and get a better idea of what I can really do for march.
    15 miles is SO MUCH better than 0 miles! Every single step you take for fitness (and for fun!) is a good one. Welcome aboard.
    Thanks so much! that was exactly my thought. I've been going to the gym and warming up on the treadmill for 10 minutes or so.
    I might as well start logging the mileage.

I've been a runner in the past. A few years ago I started an aggressive 1/2 marathon 10 week program and ended up injuring myself. That was my last affair with running. Not getting injured this time. Not with this goal. I'm just going to do as much as I can this month as a threshold and we'll see later.
    Thanks for the welcome note :)

Hang with us and you will slowly be bumping up that mileage. We do a good job of assumlating newbies like that. hehehe Just stick with it and ask any questions that you may have.

• Stoshew71
    Options

I'm in! New to MFP and Garmin Connect. My goal will be 25 miles because I had stopped running for a while and am currently recovering from a sprained ankle.
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Welcome to the group! I'm on Garmin connect (and Strava) too. Same screen name if you (anyone) wants to add me. I like the leaderboard, but @Stoshew71 is always #1. :grimace: ha-ha!

I have both GC and strava accounts (see my main MFP profile for more info). However, I pretty much ignore GC and am more active on strava.

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    February goal—None first 1/2 on February 7…just going to try for as many miles as possible in February

2/2—5.2 ish km—the groundhog wouldn’t see his shadow if he existed here
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    First day is always a must! Just to get things started in the right place!
    2/1 6.11

Total: 6.11/80

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9gtprgvuz73y.jpg

posting before @stoshew71 has a chance ha ha. I like this.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 165 km this month.

Welcome to all the new faces! Welcome back to everyone else! Good luck everyone with your personal running / walking goals this month.

@kateparry84 congratulations on your longest distance ever!

@skippygirlsmom thanks for the inspiration! I like it too.

Feb 1 6.18 km
    Feb 2 Rest

Upcoming races:
    June 5 Rocky River Run 21km
    July 3 Gold Coast Marathon (my first marathon)

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Amen to that! Also in my mid 40's and, although I have to be smarter about it these days, I still like to think I can find a little more speed in my old(er) age. #haventpeakedyet
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Day 1 of week 2, Was perfect, couldn't have gone any better. I woke up knowing I would feel like crap after the weekend "festivities" but I'm determined to stay on schedule this month, and went out and from beginning to end it was all mind and breathing. My body cooperated perfectly, and it was at a 10 min mile pace.

Just to share a bit... 2014 I was running, for the first time in my life, (literally 20 years of not even running around with my kids as they grew) I was running 5k 4 or 5 times a week, and got my pace up to 10 min miles and started to increase my mileage. August of 2014 was my first injury (not due to running) so clear up to May of 2015 I struggled with running. I had nerve pain from the injury, gout flare ups in a toe on the other foot, and apparently my body is retaining extra fluid and wreaking havoc on my calves. So trying to get this all sorted out, I was continuously trying to get through c25k for a second time. I could NOT get past 4 of the 8 runs on the first day. Doing 15 min mile pace. By May I gave up, and decided to just focus on walking miles. By the end of May my dad was diagnosed with Cancer and Passed a month later. July and August I was a mess. By September, I had decided that I need to live the life he would want me to live, and I turned back to my dream. I had figured out that I need to be more strict with the junk food, to help with the gout and fluid retention. It worked and I got through the first week of c25k. By Thanksgiving I ran my first 5k race. This is all at that 15 min mile pace... So the other day, when I was bummed about restarting c25k for a third time after setting my running back in January, I was ecstatic to find myself running the 10 min mile pace. And did so again today. Today's run really cemented that this is definitely something I can do. It takes patience, and it takes dedication to my diet. My run was amazing today, I haven't felt that way running in nearly 2 years. After my run today life came at me, and essentially ruined my mood ha!. But I am so determined to get my healthy, worth loving life back and to get my running back, I won't let life stop me again. I have seen what I can conquer and bounce back from, when I had so many doubts about running. February is going to be a great month! I will make it happen!!

2/1 - .9 Run and 1.21 walk - W2d1
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Amen to that! Also in my mid 40's and, although I have to be smarter about it these days, I still like to think I can find a little more speed in my old(er) age. #haventpeakedyet

@lporter229 Mid 40s here too, and love the hashtag!
  • JamieWW
    JamieWW Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm at a beginner runner level these days, and my primary goal is to finish my first half-marathon on March 26, to celebrate turning 40. Notice I said "finish," not "run." Lol. I'm quite slow, but gradually improving each week. I just bought some new running shoes, so that is helping a lot! I'm doing weekly goals right now of training four days a week (Sun, Tues, Thurs, Sat), for the following weekly mileage minimums this month:

Week 1 - 9 miles (started with 2 yesterday)
    Week 2 - 10 miles
    Week 3 - 11 miles
    Week 4 - 12 miles

I guess that makes my February goal 42 miles.

Glad to have found this group!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Alright, I just did the math, my training plan would sum up to 127.6km in February. But I already know that I will probably miss one of the long runs - I get a visitor that weekend, and we plan to do a lot of hiking. Not sure if I'll have any energy left to run after I drop her off at the airport on Sunday evening. So I'll only factor in half the long run distance for that week, which gives me a goal of 120km for the month.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    * 6.3. --- Derby des Bois (4.57k)
    * 30.3.-11.4. --- zombies run! virtual race (my first virtual race - haven't decide yet if I'll do the 5k or 10k version)
    * 10.4. --- Course des Ponts
    * 8.5. --- Harmony Geneva (--> my first HM - exciting! I never ran much further than 10 miles until now...)

--
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    My marathon training plan (which I've come to start calling my Marathon Training Suggestion), calls for 140 miles this month.
    @7lenny7 I like your attitude towards the training plan ^^
    For the first two weeks this year I tried following mine to the letter, now I just go back at the end of the week and edit the file so that it matches what I did in reality. :p

@Elise4270 Happy one-year group anniversary, great to have you here t3424.gif

@Becky_44 I've started over with a couch-to-5k program (not C25k, but similar) at least four times in the last 10 years. No reason you should feel bad about restarting the program! And it sounds like you are doing absolutely amazing this time around, keep up the great work!

And of course I'm also happy to see so many familiar names here already on the first day of the month, and welcome to all the new people! I hope it's going to be a great running month for all of us.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    In the words of Shaun Cassidy..
    We do run run run, we do run run
    (with apoligies for the earworm)

Leap year, one more day to run, so I'll up the ante
    February
    In it for 60
    Valentines Relay Race this month (whoo hoo) <3

exercise.png
    • 01 - 5.3mi SuperBowl run around the Embarccadero Festivities
    • 14 - 3.2 *prelogged: Valentines Couples Relay <3
    • 29 -

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    c45bf3027cad941.gif
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just turned 49 but I feel like I'm in my early 30's. The thought that I'll be 50 next year is a completely foreign concept. Not that I fear or dread it, just that I don't feel anywhere near like how I once imagined 50 to be.

@becky_44, thanks for sharing your story. You seem to be a strong woman and i have no doubt you will get to where you want to be!
    @JamieWW, welcome! You're off to a great start!
    @_nikkiwolf_ , here's how you fit your long run in with your hiking. Once you get about 80% to the end of the hike, tell her you forgot something and need to go back, but that she should continue on and wait at the end. Then you run back the start, then back to meet her. Continue doing this until you get your miles in. Not only do you get your long run in, you get some hiking in too, which counts for cross training!

And yeah, I see a plan like this as more of a guideline. I have the advantage of never having done a marathon before so any finish will be a PR. I do want to get in the *types* of runs in my plans, but the actual length will vary, depending on how my body is feeling.

I signed up for FOUR races today. Well, it's a single race series, with four races. It's the Salomon Autumn Trail Series. They race every other Wednesday evening (which one interfere with time on our new boat) starting the end of August. Distance is either 4 miles or 5.5K.

I'm also excited about my Winter Warriors group run tomorrow. A winter storm is forecast with 4 - 8 inches of snow, falling hardest just about the time we run. I may be wearing my trail shoes for this one.

Upcoming Races

04/16/2016 - Trail Mix 25K - Lake Rebecca Park
    05/14/2016 - Lake Wobegon Marathon - Holdingford, MN
    06/25/2016 - Circle of Life Half Marathon - Lake City, MN (TENTATIVE)
    07/04/2016 - Red Wing July 4th 10K - Red Wing, MN (TENTATIVE)
    07/20/2016 - Torchlight 5K - Minneapolis
    08/12/2016 - Ragnar Great River 200+ Mile Relay (Hoping to find a team)
    08/20/2016 - Mendota Bottoms 10 Mi Trail Run - Mendota, MN (TENTATIVE)
    08/31/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (4 Mi) - Bloomington, MN
    09/14/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (4 Mi) - Bloomington, MN
    09/28/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (5.5k) - Bloomington, MN
    10/12/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (5.5k) - Bloomington, MN

• Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    In for 70 Miles in February.
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    5 niiiiice slooooooow miles today to start the month. 5 down, 71 to go!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Back from PT and he says roughly two weeks to start up a run/walk program is what he's thinking right now. From the way I presented last Thursday to today, he called it a best case scenario and has removed tendinopathy as a possibility. The improvement was truly that remarkable. I have a serious strength imbalance between my left and right glute that needs to be addressed. He added a few more exercises to my routine so hopefully when I see him on Thursday the improvements will have continued. All to say...I can see the light! I will be running again THIS month!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7
    @Virkati, if you have a Costco membership, you can get a box of 63 tablets (21 tablets each of three different flavors) for $21, including shipping. At one time they had them for $17 and I bought two boxes. I love them as well!

THANK YOU!! I had no idea...I will be stocking up as soon as possible!