Coffee is great... However...

Options

Replies

• Birkah
    Birkah Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I put anything in my daily coffee, it's a splash of coconut milk and a (SMALL) spoon of coconut oil. Chicory coffee is awesome as-is, so I usually don't add anything. For an occasional treat, I love cafecito. Real Cuban coffee is super strong and insanely sweet, and gives me a combo sugar/caffeine buzz.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to cut some of this half and half out. The calories are just too
    Much. What a nightmare. Thank you for all your thoughts and ideas
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    Sadly I just really enjoy my
    Coffee. The way I have it with half and half. Once again having to change my life because of calories. Dammit lol

Just fit it into your daily calorie allotment. I slowly weaned myself from 18% cream to half and half to 5% light cream. I also use sugar. I've had 2 coffees a day even when I was in my losing phase. In my losing phase I would do a lot of walking to earn the calorie room for that 2nd coffee. I won't apologize for how I like my coffee or how I choose to spend my calories. I roast my own beans and use a French press so it isn't a matter of quality coffee.

• AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is why I can't drink coffee. My coffee always ends up about 1/3 milk, 1/3 sugar, and 1/3 actual coffee. It's more a desert than anything. I've even skimped back on how much sugar I use in tea, and how much tea I drink. It's amazing how fast those little calories add up!

My advice - If you have to use creamer, use fat free or skim milk. It'll cut down your calories. Also, try using minimal sugar or a sugar substitute. Maybe figure out how much goes into your cup of coffee and think about what trade-offs you're willing to make. IE: If you're drinking a 300 calorie coffee, are you still going to eat breakfast? Are you going to have to trim down portions on your other meals to accommodate your morning habit? Are you going to run an extra 30 minutes at the gym?

It's not that you can't have your coffee. What you have to figure out is how to make it fit into the rest of your day. You will likely need to make some sort of trade off, either by cutting out what's in the coffee to make it less caloric, cutting out calories in other meals, or pumping up your workout.

Just my thoughts :smile:
  • tracefan
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    OP, start drinking good quality coffee and you wont need cream, milk, or sugar

I do drink good quality. I have a restaurant style machine in the wall too. Still not happening for me. Urgh.

I'm with you. I've tried to drink my coffee black. Surprisingly I liked that better than I like it with milk BLEGG! Now, I just drink it with half and half. I have been able to lessen the amount of half and half I put in--my coffee used to look albino, now I just put one tablespoon per cup. It took some getting used to it but now I prefer it that way. I log it and build my day around it. One tablespoon only sets me back about 20 calories and I think that's a worthy use of my calories.

I think it's about the creamy-ness that the half and half gives. I don't use sugar in my coffee so it's not about the sweetness. I just wish I could find s happy medium. I drink high quality coffee. I have a restaurant favor wall coffee machine machine, A Keurig AND a Nespresso. I really ENJOY. Coffee obviously!!! Lol.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    In England we just put milk in coffee, about 12 calories for 25 ml of semi-skimmed. When you guys talk about putting cream in coffee, is this the same sort of cream that you'd pour over a bowl of strawberries or some cake? That seems amazingly decadent if so - over here single cream is 50 calories for 25 ml and double cream is 117 for 25 ml! I generally drink my coffee black but putting cream in coffee does sound delicious...
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I do drink good quality. I have a restaurant style machine in the wall too. Still not happening for me. Urgh.

I'm with you. I've tried to drink my coffee black. Surprisingly I liked that better than I like it with milk BLEGG! Now, I just drink it with half and half. I have been able to lessen the amount of half and half I put in--my coffee used to look albino, now I just put one tablespoon per cup. It took some getting used to it but now I prefer it that way. I log it and build my day around it. One tablespoon only sets me back about 20 calories and I think that's a worthy use of my calories.

I think it's about the creamy-ness that the half and half gives. I don't use sugar in my coffee so it's not about the sweetness. I just wish I could find s happy medium. I drink high quality coffee. I have a restaurant favor wall coffee machine machine, A Keurig AND a Nespresso. I really ENJOY. Coffee obviously!!! Lol.

If it's creaminess, I'd definitely go full heavy cream in the coffee. I used to add two tablespoons, which was under 100 calories if I'm remembering correctly. It was soooo good, but I hit a point where my budget got too tight for the splurge of both coffee AND heavy cream. By the time I had money again, I didn't really miss it too much. Now I just do it if we happen to have some on-hand for a recipe.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

I totally get it. I have tried to replace half and half and feel like it isn't worth drinking. I'd rather give coffee up entirely than drink it without half and half. I used to use more like 4 tablespoons for a small cup. I started cutting it in half until I adjusted, then cut it again. Now I prefer it somewhere between 1-1.5 tablespoons per cup, which is much easier to fit into my daily calories.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day with half and half and sugar. It is the one hard line I have. I just make sure I have room for it in my calories. Some people need chocolate, some need steak, I need this! Good luck.
  • tracefan
    Options
    I drink coffee every day with half and half and sugar. It is the one hard line I have. I just make sure I have room for it in my calories. Some people need chocolate, some need steak, I need this! Good luck.
    Yup!!!!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Not sure if more bothered by the notion that things have to be eliminated or by the notion that coffee should have something else in it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm British, so it's milk or nothing. Oh and a little sugar, not even a full teaspoon. The coffee snob in me hates that I add anything but there we are. I am but human and flawed!

I have tried flavoured creamers when on holiday and straight up cream actually. And while I don't hate it, I don't love it either. I fancy trying the Baileys creamer though, sort of like dessert.

I did used to take a lot of sugar in my hot drinks, years ago. I just slowly weaned myself off it but not completely because I like the little edge sugar softens. I imagine I could totally eliminate it and the milk too if I really wanted to though, it's just about reteaching your taste buds a new kind of delicious. Heck, I even weaned myself ONTO blue cheese. I'm still not sure if that was genius or total idiocy...........
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Not sure if more bothered by the notion that things have to be eliminated or by the notion that coffee should have something else in it.

#WhyNotBoth?
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I used to do those international coffee creamers. I was addicted but slowly went to half and half.

I use 4tbsp of half and half in 16oz of coffee. It's 80 Cals and fits perfectly in my day because it goes in first. Everything else is secondary to the coffee and required creamer. Slowly get yourself used to it, you will just like you got used to half and half in the first place.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up my sugar in my coffee! It's basically my breakfast :) I fresh grind the beans (right now using a great dark roast Sumatra), brew in a french press, and add 1 tbs of sugar. Perfecto!

Now, if I cold brew (here is what I use for cold brewing http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JEQ5YAM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages01 ) I don't add a thing because there is zero bitterness in a good cold brew.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Agreed.

Embrace the bitter.

Ha ha. I've tried. Not ready to embrace the bitter. Lol.

I refuse to give up my coffee or my creamer. If this is the one bad thing I have on a regular basis, so be it. I'll fit it in my day and give up something else. Life is too short to not enjoy my coffee!
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Plus. Milk has sugar!!!!

Er, I know I'm British and don't really know what half and half is, but doesn't it contain milk and cream? That both contain milk sugars?
  • pritty1979
    pritty1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can relate! My husband buys expensive coffee and he refuses to put anything in it, because he wants to taste the real coffee. I grew up on Milk and espresso, so it's hard for me to drink black coffee if it's not a good espresso. I can't do dairy anymore, so I tried the non dairy creamers, I used 3 little cups of pumpkin spice and it was a lot of calories (3 tbsp) I want to find a better thing. I tried 1/2 cup of almost milk today, it was ok, not amazing though
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I add whiskey to mine
  • alyrestum
    alyrestum Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    drink it black best way ;)