The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    UPDATE ON SHIRTS: I just got a call from Jessica at Customlink. 1 of the shirts (the medium woman's power orange) came back from the printers with a stain on it. So Jesicca wondered if it was OK to ship the 43 out today and then the last orange shirt a day later. I said that should be fine.

@Elise4270 You will receive 43 shirts on Monday the 8th and 1 more on Tuesday the 9th.

Jessica also told me that they will also send a $25 voucher along with the order since stuff like this doesn't happen very much.

So I am not sure what to do with this voucher now. lol ...and the extra money. hahahaha

@Elise4270 I still owe you money for shipping and need to give you my address. Maybe you can PM that paypal info?
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    As others have said, plenty of people are using metric measurements here but if you really want to know “What’s that in mileage?” it’s pretty simple…For every 5KM, count it as 3 (it’ll be slightly off but pretty close). If you want to be exact, 5K=3.1 miles
    Or another trick for all math fans: just take the next numer in the Fibonacci sequence. Totally straightforward, right? ^^
    Or, you know, just use @Stoshew71's google method. That sounds a bit easier ;)

@WhatMeRunning 46 seconds off the 5k PR is quite a bit chunk of time less. Congratulations!

@ceciliaslater All the best for your doctors appointment, hopefully he'll be able to help you!

--

I spontaneously did some interval training yesterday at the gym. When I went in, I was only planning to use the dumbbells. I went really late to avoid the crowds, and it was almost empty, only three guys in the weight area. But two of them were the ones I've come to call "that pyramid training pair" (okay, I admit, usually I attach some colorful adjectives to that description... >:) ). They always hoard a huge stack of dumbbells in their corner :-/
    Since I couldn't use any of the weights I needed, I decided to do run until they were done, and long slow runs on the treadmill aren't my thing. If I have to use the TM, I might as well spend my time madly dialing up and down the speed controls, to keep things from getting boring! With Tuesdays tempo run, that makes two speedwork sessions in one week! Never did that before, so I'm swapping my training plan around some more and having tomorrow's rest day today, to make sure I'm not overdoing things.
    exercise.png
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Great job!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine. I'm told he works with a lot of runners, so hopefully he can get me some answers and let me know how realistic my marathon is at this point. Annoying to get injured so late in the game (6 weeks out)--and not even on one of my long or fast runs. :'(

The appointment is on the 15th, so I'll be hobbling around until then, getting in as much exercise as I can without aggravating the injury.

Hey that's great news! I have occasion issues with a subluxed cuboid. Wouldn't possibility be what's going on with you?

I had to look that one up. What's a cuboid? LOL. My pain is farther back, just behind the fibula, so I'm thinking no. But it's weird how problems from one area can manifest themselves elsewhere. Who knows what the root cause of the problem is at this point.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - I do the same thing on the treadmill. Vary speed, then elevation, then speed and elevation, then gradual increase in speed to the end, etc. Also...I hate it when people hoard weights! Only slightly less aggravating than people who grunt/groan/drop weights to emphasize how much they are lifting / exerting themselves.

@WhatMeRunning - 46 seconds! Wow! That's a lot of time off a 5k! Good job!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Posting before I catch up on the *135* messages, lol!

1/31 Rest
    2/1 6.25 @ 12.00 on the treadmill
    2/2 3.5 (3 @ 11:50 and .5 walking) and strength training
    2/3 Rest day--drove several hours to have coffee with a friend. Couldn't squeeze in a run, but the heart is happy!
    2/4 10.25 @ 11:46 on the treadmill. Fast and Furious (not to be confused with The Fast and the Furious. Or 2 Fast 2 Furious. Or Tokyo Drift.)
    2/5 Planned rest day--taking my daughter on her first college visit!
    2/6
    (20/25 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    Feb. 14 Run Your Heart Out 5K, Reston, VA
    Feb. 22 Disney Princess Half Marathon, Orlando, FL

exercise.png

• 5BeautifulDays
    Options
    Hydeel6582 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm new here. My story: I started running when I turned 50. I ran for about 3 years doing 5K's and 10K's. My Dad found himself with brain cancer and he needed my care and support, it was a tough road and he died in less then a year. It's now been almost 2 years since his death and I decided I needed to take care of me. So I have signed up for a free half marathon to help my home town recover. I have about 60 lbs to lose and I need to be fit to run my first ever Half Marathon by December of this year. I am currently doing 2-3 Miles in a walk jog combo... I need your support as I begin a new journey, I need to be methodical, plan well, eat right, stay injury free! I'm really happy to be running again and I love goal setting. I've set a goal of 35 Miles for February and a 10lb weight loss

Those are awesome goals!

I also lost my dad to cancer. I'm so sorry for your loss. I frequently feel like my dad is with me when I run--he wasn't a runner but he power walked for miles a day. I know he'd be so proud of the changes I've made in my life to get healthy.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    UPDATE ON SHIRTS: I just got a call from Jessica at Customlink. 1 of the shirts (the medium woman's power orange) came back from the printers with a stain on it. So Jesicca wondered if it was OK to ship the 43 out today and then the last orange shirt a day later. I said that should be fine.

@Elise4270 You will receive 43 shirts on Monday the 8th and 1 more on Tuesday the 9th.

Jessica also told me that they will also send a $25 voucher along with the order since stuff like this doesn't happen very much.

So I am not sure what to do with this voucher now. lol ...and the extra money. hahahaha

@Elise4270 I still owe you money for shipping and need to give you my address. Maybe you can PM that paypal info?

Let wait on the shipping until I know where the balance is. I can use the "extra" for shipping cost. I'll let everyone know if we're significantly short.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    Options

I am just waiting for that one person to log their runs in parseks.

[/quote]

My long runs feel like furlongs per fortnights.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    edited February 2016
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Also...I hate it when people hoard weights! Only slightly less aggravating than people who grunt/groan/drop weights to emphasize how much they are lifting / exerting themselves. ...
    Actually, I find it even more aggravating. When somebody screams like the killer from psychos is out to get him on each lift, I might look over there once, then roll my eyes and ignore them.
    The weight hoarders actually mean I can't do my planned workout. They don't only hoard two sets of dumbbells or something. They always do "bizep curl pyramids" where they do 5reps with 6 kg, 4 reps with 8 kg, ... up to 1 rep with 14kg, and then down again. Right in a row, so you can't borrow one of the weights in between, and they are alternating their sets - when one is doing that pyramid, the other stands by and hands him the weights, and vice versa, so you also can't work in.
    Considering my gym is really small and has only one set of each dumbbell weight, that is a serious problem. If one pair of dumbbells is taken, I'm willing to do e.g. "5 reps with 12kg" or "12 reps with 8kg" instead of "8 reps with 10kg". But when those guys work out, the next closest available weights are 4kg and 16kg. Grrr.... [/rantmode]
    If I didn't believe some strength training is a good idea for injury prevention, I'm not sure I'd put up with that.
    That's what I love about <3running<3 : nobody is going to steal my running shoes or hog all the streets around my place.

• ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks you guys for the welcome!

I'm loving the 50 degree temps in February. That's a treat here in NY, so I'm getting more running in than anticipated.
    My crossfit workouts each incorporate some running, but I'm not counting that towards my mileage.

Today's lunchtime run: 3.6miles
    Total for February so far: 12.8

@7lenny7 I love your distance tracker! how do i get me one of those? and does it somehow update automatically when you log a run? (what do i know) or do you need to update it manually?
  • Stoshew71
    edited February 2016
    Options

I spontaneously did some interval training yesterday at the gym. When I went in, I was only planning to use the dumbbells. I went really late to avoid the crowds, and it was almost empty, only three guys in the weight area. But two of them were the ones I've come to call "that pyramid training pair" (okay, I admit, usually I attach some colorful adjectives to that description... >:) ). They always hoard a huge stack of dumbbells in their cornerp :-/
    Since I couldn't use any of the weights I needed, I decided to do run until they were done, and long slow runs on the treadmill aren't my thing. If I have to use the TM, I might as well spend my time madly dialing up and down the speed controls, to keep things from getting boring! With Tuesdays tempo run, that makes two speedwork sessions in one week! Never did that before, so I'm swapping my training plan around some more and having tomorrow's rest day today, to make sure I'm not overdoing things.

Got to protect your house.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I love your distance tracker! how do i get me one of those? and does it somehow update automatically when you log a run? (what do i know) or do you need to update it manually?

@ShaeDetermined, I get it from the Garmin Connect website, which interfaces with my Garmin Forerunner GPS watch. Do you use a Garmin? I used to use a Forerunner 305, which I had to manually connect to my computer to upload my data. I recently bought a used Forerunner 220 which uses bluetooth to upload the data to the Garmin app on my phone, which then uploads to their web server. On that site I create a monthly mileage goal and have it display on my "dashboard" The gauge is automatically updated once that data is uploaded.

The Garmin Connect site is a very useful site for tracking miles, planning routes, tracking your run stats, tracking miles on each pair of shoes, etc.

The site also interfaces with many other sites and services such as Strava, MapMyRun or MyFitnessPal.

If any of that is confusing or if you have questions, just ask!

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    2/1 6.11
    2/3 7.02 — good, slow run, snow, water, real slushy. not fun for the feet!
    2/4 3.67 — easy short run at 10’20” per mile.

Total: 16.80/80
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Also...I hate it when people hoard weights! Only slightly less aggravating than people who grunt/groan/drop weights to emphasize how much they are lifting / exerting themselves. ...
    Actually, I find it even more aggravating. When somebody screams like the killer from psychos is out to get him on each lift, I might look over there once, then roll my eyes and ignore them.
    The weight hoarders actually mean I can't do my planned workout. They don't only hoard two sets of dumbbells or something. They always do "bizep curl pyramids" where they do 5reps with 6 kg, 4 reps with 8 kg, ... up to 1 rep with 14kg, and then down again. Right in a row, so you can't borrow one of the weights in between, and they are alternating their sets - when one is doing that pyramid, the other stands by and hands him the weights, and vice versa, so you also can't work in.
    Considering my gym is really small and has only one set of each dumbbell weight, that is a serious problem. If one pair of dumbbells is taken, I'm willing to do e.g. "5 reps with 12kg" or "12 reps with 8kg" instead of "8 reps with 10kg". But when those guys work out, the next closest available weights are 4kg and 16kg. Grrr.... [/rantmode]
    If I didn't believe some strength training is a good idea for injury prevention, I'm not sure I'd put up with that.
    That's what I love about <3running<3 : nobody is going to steal my running shoes or hog all the streets around my place.

There will be grunts....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPY4HG5TOc

• ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@ShaeDetermined, I get it from the Garmin Connect website, which interfaces with my Garmin Forerunner GPS watch. Do you use a Garmin? I used to use a Forerunner 305, which I had to manually connect to my computer to upload my data. I recently bought a used Forerunner 220 which uses bluetooth to upload the data to the Garmin app on my phone, which then uploads to their web server. On that site I create a monthly mileage goal and have it display on my "dashboard" The gauge is automatically updated once that data is uploaded.

The Garmin Connect site is a very useful site for tracking miles, planning routes, tracking your run stats, tracking miles on each pair of shoes, etc.

The site also interfaces with many other sites and services such as Strava, MapMyRun or MyFitnessPal.

If any of that is confusing or if you have questions, just ask!

Thanks @7lenny7 !
    Though your response makes me a little sad.
    I used my garmin forerunner 305 for over 10 years I think. Only complaint I had was the chest strap.
    So I excitedly, and after much research, replaced it with the fitbit charge HR.
    Man, that may have been the worst decision ever.
    Looking into buying myself a new gadget for spring.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    edited February 2016
    Options

I spontaneously did some interval training yesterday at the gym. When I went in, I was only planning to use the dumbbells. I went really late to avoid the crowds, and it was almost empty, only three guys in the weight area. But two of them were the ones I've come to call "that pyramid training pair" (okay, I admit, usually I attach some colorful adjectives to that description... >:) ). They always hoard a huge stack of dumbbells in their cornerp :-/

Got to protect your house.
    I guess I need to learn to stop being polite and, rather than asking, just take the weights I want.

E.T.A:: just spotted the "There will be grunts" video I missed earlier. The guy at min 1:11 has a soulmate in my gym, lol!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I used my garmin forerunner 305 for over 10 years I think. Only complaint I had was the chest strap.
    So I excitedly, and after much research, replaced it with the fitbit charge HR.
    Man, that may have been the worst decision ever.
    Looking into buying myself a new gadget for spring.

Don't let me stop you from buying a new gadget, but if you live in or near a populous area, check out Craigslist. I bought the 305 for $40 last year and the 220 for $60 a couple of weeks ago, both from ads on Craigslist.

• username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    date....distance.... Mtd......ytd
    1/2........ 5k.............5k.........50k
    3/2.........5k.............10k......55k

I would normally post a time, but given i am still doing intervals and annoyed with myself for ever stopping I am not posting times until March.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    @runner_girl83 How do you draw the line thru the sentence? Referring to your January 9 NY virtual race...I don't know how so I'm asking you since you just did it. Thank you!

When you write something in the textbox, at the top of the textbox where there is a "B" for bold etc.. the 3rd one across is an "S" with a line through it.. highlight your text and then click on that :smiley: