Open food diary what am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Can y'all check out my food diary and let me know what I'm doing wrong? Scale is not moving!! I walk 8-12k steps a day and go to the gym 3-5 times a week ( treadmill/eliptica/bike) I lost 60 lbs about 2 years ago counting calories ( gained back about 10) currant weight is 208 so I still have a lot to lose. Thanks!

How long have you being restricting your calories? And have you only just started exercising?
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I weigh the chicken breast raw, then add marinade and cook. I cook for 5 people so I'm making 5 servings. When it's done cooking I weigh it again, but this time I just divide the whole number by 5.

As far as scanning bar codes I have noticed some things are off such as the packages says 130 cal per serving but when scanned it says 110. In that situation I just type in the name of the product and can almost always find it listed with the right info. I usually check and make sure cal are then same, but don't usually check the other nutritional info though
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    If I'm scanning over these comments correctly- You've been stalled for 3 weeks? Keep going.

I only weigh myself once a month- After my cycle bloat has gone. Last month, I had set MFP/Fitbit to lose 0.50lb/week, and didn't see ANY change until after my period, and boom! 4 weeks, 2lbs down, right on schedule.

To come from the other end of the CICO equation- Are you logging exercise calories? If so, how?
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    your eating too much fatty foods and not enough carbs

This. Even if your calories are in check everything you are eating is processed. Processed milk drinks, breaded chicken, candy. No fruits of vegetables.

I eat a lot of "processed food" and I know what you are implying with that. Packaged, full of sodium, yada yada. I have lost 53 pounds. I eat chocolate daily, have some kind of take out weekly, and (putting on my best Oprah persona) I love bread. I eat bread every day. LOL

Consistent, sustainable calorie deficit and patience are all that is needed for weight loss. Fatty food, processed food, high carb, low carb, all of that is personal preference but for weight loss, is not the important factor. I do not lose weight every day, sometimes I don't lose in a week, but over time, I do and my average is about .4 pounds per week because I am very close to my goal.

Yah but if she's hit a plateau, changing that up might help get her over the slump!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    your eating too much fatty foods and not enough carbs

This. Even if your calories are in check everything you are eating is processed. Processed milk drinks, breaded chicken, candy. No fruits of vegetables.

I eat a lot of "processed food" and I know what you are implying with that. Packaged, full of sodium, yada yada. I have lost 53 pounds. I eat chocolate daily, have some kind of take out weekly, and (putting on my best Oprah persona) I love bread. I eat bread every day. LOL

Consistent, sustainable calorie deficit and patience are all that is needed for weight loss. Fatty food, processed food, high carb, low carb, all of that is personal preference but for weight loss, is not the important factor. I do not lose weight every day, sometimes I don't lose in a week, but over time, I do and my average is about .4 pounds per week because I am very close to my goal.

Yah but if she's hit a plateau, changing that up might help get her over the slump!

how so?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    2uh2jv0wqxj3.jpg

Quoting because apparently we need to move on to the next step.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I see lots of prepackaged "diet" foods, shakes, etc., but not too many fruits and vegetables or other "real" foods. You might feel more full and have a more balanced diet if you included a few things that are closer to their natural state. You also might feel more full.

Ditto.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't really know what to tell you. I still see questionable things in your diary that lead me to think you're not logging accurately (even if unknowingly), such as the exact same size portion of chicken every time you have it. I'm not convinced you have it down properly, even if you are making some smart logging adjustments. I know that's not what you want to hear, but since you've ruled out a medical condition with your blood work, it is literally the only rational explanation.

Your calorie intake for 3 weeks is far below that which is required for you to lose weight. I plugged your stats into http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and got a maintenance allowance of 2025, and that's if you were 5'0"). Given that, your daily deficit is nearly 900 calories, or a total deficit of 19,800 calories in that time period. There is no possible way for you not to have lost a significant amount of weight in that time period.

I know, I know...you think I'm calling you a liar. I'm not. I just think you're not following some logging best practices. As good as that flowchart is, it doesn't walk you through what I think is a necessary next step after ensuring someone is weighing their food, and that is choosing the right database entries. I would try using USDA entries (try searching for foods using things like "Chicken breast raw" or "Corn raw") and using those for a few weeks whenever you are cooking whole foods. Check every bar code scan to make sure the entry matches the package you are using.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    2uh2jv0wqxj3.jpg

I think there's enough context in the thread to rule everything out but logging issues. She is using a scale. She doesn't eat back exercise calories as she is averaging 1124 calories a day. She's had blood work that indicates there are no medical issues (though a follow-up might be in order).
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    @mistress8956 - I second the flow chart. It explains nicely.

I also quickly glanced at your diary and try to stay away from cups and spoon measurements.

Also I stick to weighing in "grams" unit for solid food as much as I can.

Good Luck.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Maybe go to the dr and get some blood work done.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    2uh2jv0wqxj3.jpg

I think there's enough context in the thread to rule everything out but logging issues. She is using a scale. She doesn't eat back exercise calories as she is averaging 1124 calories a day. She's had blood work that indicates there are no medical issues (though a follow-up might be in order).

Was it answered what kind of blood work the OP had done? Like all the normal every day type things or for the cog in the weight loss wheel type things like thyroid and whatever else can hinder normal weight loss?

And I so would have just eaten those 2 last grams of the zone bar. :)
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    2uh2jv0wqxj3.jpg

Was it answered what kind of blood work the OP had done? Like all the normal every day type things or for the cog in the weight loss wheel type things like thyroid and whatever else can hinder normal weight loss?

And I so would have just eaten those 2 last grams of the zone bar. :)

+1 on the extra zone bar bits!

Yep, that's why I suggested a follow-up might be in order. I don't think it was made clear.
  • mistress8956
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My dog is a stalker when I'm in the kitchen lol I eat the egg whites he gets the yokes, I eat the chicken he gets the fat I cut off ect it would hurt his feelings if I didn't share. I think I might have to go back to the dr if I don't see any change
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Cannot really add anything if you are really weighing everything and checking the accuracy of the food entries after scanning except weigh in grams not ounces.

I am going to say weighing in ounces is better than not weighing but definitely less accurate than grams when considering 28 grams= 1 ounce. I see so many people have exactly 4 ounces of something but I have no idea if they mean exactly 112 grams or 167 grams or anything inbetween. Depending on the calorie density of the said food item that could be a significant difference in calories consumed.
  • mistress8956
    Options
    If you were weighing say 4 oz if it was over wouldn't the food scale then say 4.xx?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    If you were weighing say 4 oz if it was over wouldn't the food scale then say 4.xx?

Yes, it does usually.

Now what kind of blood tests did you get the last time you got them?
  • mistress8956
    Options
    I can't remember exactly just the normal ones I think? I know they tested for diabetes, cholesterol, iron levels.... But that's just what I remember them mentioning
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Thyroid is a very common problem that can stall weight loss. Maybe get your TSH, FT3, FT4, and TGAb tested next time.
  • tappleby_14
    tappleby_14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the one to take this a different direction but if your up for giving a new angle a chance then I have a few suggestions. I am no pro and only know any of this from personal experience and research. So take this info however you would like because we are all different! I feel your calories are maybe too low. And that it is taking a toll on your metabolism. Don't be afraid to bump them up as long as your aren't filling those extra calories with crappy food. Also you mentioned you do a lot of cardio. I would add some weight lifting to your week. It doesn't have to be extreme and don't be worried about starting with low weights in the beginning. Also the scale is not the best unit of measurement when making progress. Try not to become addicted to it! Look at it once or twice a month! Don't get discouraged. You got this!