Pizza

Options
So I live in NY and I want to know how many calories are actually in a slice of NY style pizza. There are many different entries on MFP that range from 200 -370. Does anyone know for sure?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hfeff wrote: »
    So I live in NY and I want to know how many calories are actually in a slice of NY style pizza. There are many different entries on MFP that range from 200 -370. Does anyone know for sure?

No two slices of pizza are the same.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It depends. Size pizza, size slice, toppings... Kind of like how tall is the tree in my backyard? You can't answer without more info...
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Absolutely no way of telling unless the restaurant posts this info.
    Dab the top with a paper towel to absorb some of the oil and cut down on calories.
    Ask for no sauce to cut down on sugar.
    Ask for no cheese to cut down on fat.
    Don't eat the edges to cut down on carbs.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    who knows?

I always overestimate when it comes to pizza.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Can you really call it a pizza when there is no cheese?
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Look up a recipe for a similar style pizza and calculate calories based on ingredients.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I go by the calories in a slice of Costco pepperoni pizza. NY style is similar in that the slices are huge. I think NY style is a big thinner, but it's better to overestimate in my opinion.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Dab the top with a paper towel to absorb some of the oil and cut down on calories.

No sauce, no cheese, don't eat the edges - why bother? :lol: LOL

Seriously, for things like this, I just eat the pizza and enjoy it. It's one night (unless this is your nightly dinner, but that's for another topic). For foods that I plan to continue enjoying but don't know the calories for, I use the tried and true SWAG method, learned from a boss from a former job when he wasn't sure how much product to order: Scientific Wild *kitten* Guessing. :wink: Find what seems the closest match, log it, and move on.

Been doing this for 4-5 years now, hasn't ruined any of my progress - I've lost the fat & inches, reached my goals and kept it off, while still enjoying the pizza.
  • ritzbits190
    ritzbits190 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use the Sbarro calories as an estimate since they are close In shape and size to ny slices.
    I used to grossly overestimate (like 600 a slice). Then when we ordered delivery one day I weighed a slice and it was only 4.5oz so I figured even if it was 4.5oz of pure cheese it would be max 450 calories so that made me feel comfortable using the Sbarro estimate for a cheese slice which is 430.

Also here is a good article where they went to a bunch of ny pizzerias and analyzed calories. There was a huge variation in calories but there was also a huge variation in ounces of the slice. If you are getting pizza delivered I would weigh a slice and see how it compares to the slices listed in article below and use something comparable.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/14/garden/eating-well-fat-by-the-slice.html
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Why bother getting pizza? All that is left is part of the crust and maybe a few veggies and a little meat. At that point you might as well eat a serving of meat with a side of veggies and a piece of bread.

OP...look up your pizza place on the net and see if they list the nutrition facts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    just go with the higher calorie entry and enjoy the pizza…..
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Can you really call it a pizza when there is no cheese?

I think it's called focaccia that is very good as well.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I use the Sbarro calories as an estimate since they are close In shape and size to ny slices.
    I used to grossly overestimate (like 600 a slice). Then when we ordered delivery one day I weighed a slice and it was only 4.5oz so I figured even if it was 4.5oz of pure cheese it would be max 450 calories so that made me feel comfortable using the Sbarro estimate for a cheese slice which is 430.

Also here is a good article where they went to a bunch of ny pizzerias and analyzed calories. There was a huge variation in calories but there was also a huge variation in ounces of the slice. If you are getting pizza delivered I would weigh a slice and see how it compares to the slices listed in article below and use something comparable.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/14/garden/eating-well-fat-by-the-slice.html
    This exactly. I find something comparable and go with one of the highest reasonable entries.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I always use Costco or Sbarro as well !
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I consider pizza a delicious landmine that is best avoided. While I can't tell the calories, I do know it's going to be really high.

For me it's not worth the guessing. I'd rather eat something else that i know the calorie count on.

Maybe when I get closer to goal weight I'll be able to enjoy it again. But for now it's better to avoid.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm from NYC and depending on the type of slice it is, I estimate it anywhere from 500 to 800 calories. I find that it's better to overestimate than underestimate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    I consider pizza a delicious landmine that is best avoided. While I can't tell the calories, I do know it's going to be really high.

For me it's not worth the guessing. I'd rather eat something else that i know the calorie count on.

Maybe when I get closer to goal weight I'll be able to enjoy it again. But for now it's better to avoid.

It has fat protein and carbs, what is there to avoid???
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

The amount of fat protein and carbs..... It's hard to determine exactly how many calories are in one slice and I'm trying to be as precise as possible.

I also love pizza and used to eat way more than I should have. For me personally, it's best to stay away from it.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    go with the higher amount. always. and know its still probably low.

LOLOL
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

The amount of fat protein and carbs..... It's hard to determine exactly how many calories are in one slice and I'm trying to be as precise as possible.

I also love pizza and used to eat way more than I should have. For me personally, it's best to stay away from it.

you do realize EVERYTHING is an estimate, right?